What would happen if a WoE character was pulled into the CC world

CrazyScion

The question I pose is how would a pony from the relatively safe “World of Equestria” deal with the horrible danger and insanity of “Canterlot Chronicles”.

I think they wouldn't last a day personally. I mean there is almost no comparison between the two, thanks to how much more insanity is allowed in CC opose to WoE. They would crack under the chaos and evil in no time. I would even say the WoE mane six would be put off by how much of a change it would be, but enough of my opinons.

What do you all think?

How much do you beleive the CC setting would shake a WoE character?

I don't think they're that different, really. CC isn't full of evil, despair and grimdark: it's still Equestria, and Equestria is overall a happy place. I've always seen CC somewhere we can explore things outside the scope of the show but remain in the same universe.

As others have mentioned, WoE characters are allowed in CC, except for cast. I don't think they'd fare any worse than their CC counterparts, and in my experience so far they haven't.

I'm glad to see people disagree with me. I actually brought this up due to the thought brought up by DerpRavener, and that Grimdark is not at all common in even in CC Equestria. I do agree with the view that CC is a nice place to expand the scope of the world, but I do believe that darker settings is one of the things that sets CC the most apart from WoE. In CC greater evil is allowed, and to a much more extreme degree then in WoE. A fair amount of the RP's even in CC tend to have a very nice and friendly feel to them, and that's why I would even agree that it isn't terribly difficult for a WoE to adjust, but what I think they would falter under is the great evil aspect.

It is almost unimaginable to see our cute lovable ponies in a situation where it's not just the fate of equestria on the line, but ponies lives hang in the balance, or their friends lives, or even their own life. It is something that is completely avoided in WoE, but I like the idea of exploring these darker, but thought provoking scenarios. So maybe a different question is in order.

How well do you think a WoE or a nice pony would deal with a darker setting, and having no experience with such a setting?

That would depend on the setting, and maybe the writer, wouldn't it? I mean, if one sets out with the goal of creating a setting designed to break such a character, that's never too hard. But that's true for characters in a lot of different settings at varying points on a light-dark spectrum. In fact, one could maybe argue that the sign of a dark setting is one where the characters are more likely to break, and thus it might actually be the case that to a degree the lighter the setting the hardier the characters are.

Personally, I think they'd actually do alright. They'd change certainly, and probably be somewhat scarred by the experience, but I don't think they'd break or collapse in most circumstances.

I have noticed that many of the characters from a lighter world, tend to have very strong beleifs and passion in what they do. This seems to give them a strong will in which to stand up to challenges that are far greater then what they normally could encounter. However, on the flip side of this is the more sensitive ponies will also come from such worlds. For example:

If Rainbow Dash were to suddenly switch worlds, I can see her being put off at first, but even without her firends there, she would eventually adapt to the world fairly easily. However, if say Fluttershy switched worlds, then it would be a lot more stressful on the poor thing, and without the support of her friends, I don't think she could make it.

I can see the WoE is not commonly filled with ponies as kind and sensitive as Fluttershy, but I do know their are some who have a more fragile heart. This is where more original beleif extended, but I can see I was mistaken on that front as so many characters from WoE have such strong personalies.

Still I now wonder what would happen if the WoE was envaded by a greater evil then it has to normaly deal with. I don't doubt they could handle it, but now I wonder how far ponies are willing to go, to stop a another pony that is willing to lie, cheat, manipulate, black mail, torture, and even to get what they wanted. I wonder if that one pony could force the world to change. If only so them.

CC isn't full of evil and danger. It's more of a place to experiment with new ideas, characters and species that aren't really part of gen 4. I mean, sure, you have changelings, but you've also got seaponies and breezies, which are far merrier. But that aside, a large number of people freely interchange WoE characters between the two settings. The reason being? The worlds are pretty much the same, one's just more expansive than the other. For that matter, a fair number of CC characters are less threatening or problematic than some of the WoE characters set out to push boundaries. The two settings are largely parallel.

Honestly, though, MLP doesn't need to be shoved into grim, alternate realities to stress and break the characters that make it the merry, cheerful world that people enjoy. That's for Invader Zim and Happy Tree Friends and other hot-topic faux-goth magnets. FFA's another question entirely, but that's mostly because we let literally anyone put together whatever the heck they want for FFA. The results there are predictably chaotic, paradoxical, self-conflicting and generally difficult to piece together.

Perhaps this is a personal belief, but I want characters to walk all sorts of life. I like seeing characters be placed in any and all settings, regardless of original intent. MLP is a very nice and friendly world, and, at the risk of sounding crazy, I want to see Equestria burn. Its cute level is so high that I want to kill it, but in all seriousness.

I love putting characters to their limits, but this is a two way streak. If I ever experience an overall dark setting like say Claymore or Batman. Where they are realists with a grim future, then I like to see the theme broken up by happiness and optimism.

I want to know how much a character can change, or a world can change when confronted with elements that are essentially alien to them.

Experiences that change a character depends largely on the writer not the character or setting. You don't need grim dark or evil to change a character. Any experience can change them.

It isn't about grim dark specifically, but elements that can change a character or setting. Grim Dark just happens to be a strong contrast to the MLP characters and setting, but it isn't the only thing. It is just a matter of hitting characters with alien concepts, and will admit to being partial towards grim dark as a tool for change, but it is not the only one available.

As for the point about writers deciding the change. Well we all write out characters acting and reacting in the way we see fit. However, in a role play, unlike in a normal story, characters can encounter problems that they may have never had to of faced if not for the direction of the other writers. It isn't about forcing change, but more about seeing what would happen, and contemplating the characters reaction and feelings towards new situations. So the questions would be.

How do you feel your character would face great change?

Would they resist the change?

Adapt to the new world?

Maybe even, take an entirely new direction!

It is up to the writer, but the point is to contemplate these ideas, so please share your thoughts. I want to know how people deal with change. (or in this case, Charaters Halide)

Well, the only model for fiction is reality, and the fact is, however people react to those kind of situations that fall so far outside their daily routine and habits varies greatly, but never according to expectation. They are either more heroic or more cowardly than they would have thought themselves to be.

Well, the only model for fiction is reality, and the fact is, however people react to those kind of situations that fall so far outside their daily routine and habits varies greatly, but never according to expectation. They are either more heroic or more cowardly than they would have thought themselves to be.

Interesting. It makes one wonder a bit about how much a character can differ from a real person. It is hard to give characters a real since of humanity when our own bias can jade their intended personality.

CC is what you make of it. It can and will at times be used as a place for somewhat darker storylines or settings as well as characters who woul be unsuited for WoE. You can definitely see that it opens it up, but at the same time, CC is not a complete 180 from WoE. the greater expansion is often used to explore not so grimdark things that aren't happening in WoE or are suited for the wider range that CC has.

Pathfinder is right at home in CC. Pathfinder is right at home anywhere and in any situation. :pathfinder: :pathfinder: :pathfinder: :pathfinder:

Interesting. It makes one wonder a bit about how much a character can differ from a real person. It is hard to give characters a real since of humanity when our own bias can jade their intended personality.

The answer is... not much actually. Unless you are talking about a Mary Sue.

Generally, when you create a character, you create it with a personality you are familiar with. Try using a personality you don't have or have never been around. It's hard to appeal to a different personality that is not a piece of your own, or one you've been around long enough. Take a look around. You will find a common theme with people who own lots of characters.

So... technically. When you apply your own biases. Yes the character still has humanity in him, because your biases comes from your own personal views. Removing them makes a less interesting character, and a more predictable one.

This rerouting back to the original discussion.

It seriously depends on the ponies' personality and physical condition. If the pony wants to watch a flower burn in WoE she will be fine. If she wants to watch an entire city burn in CC, well it's up to the pony's personality if she laughs, or cries. But there won't be a shock when you swap worlds. They are both the same stories, and most players combine character lore between the two worlds. So it's treated like:

WoE = Sims. Slice of life. Calm setting. Very little physical strife.

CC = Adventure Mode. Small to medium amounts of PG violence.

Still both the worlds are virtually the same. Just CC lets you out of the weird 1920-esque time lock that's been placed.

Archived