Equestria Girls?

The first Equestria Girls did it's job. It entertained me. It was amusing. It wasn't amazing, but it was amusing.

Rainbow Rocks... surprised me. It's much, much better than the first. The writing is better, and I think the animation is as well (though I could just be imagining things). I highly recommend it.

I enjoyed the first one. It's got a bunch of problems that can be considered crippling, but the characters make it worth it. It's still RD, Pinkie Pie, AJ, Rarity, Twilight and Fluttershy doing what they do best.

It's got a novelty charm. "It's MLP...but humans".

I felt a lot of the humor came from that novelty. "Oh look, the CMC are listening to their song which they performed in Ponyville" Or "Wow, RD did the awesome face but as a human".

As a story itself, it had too many plot holes, a generic queen-bee mean-girl villain, and a love-interest that was very dull without exploration. I don't hate Flash. I hate that he was set up to be important, then kinda not that important. He was set up to seem as an important side focus, but didn't feel that important.

Also, too much of the beginning half was spent reuniting and reintroducing characters we know. That to me makes the novelty wear off in subsequent viewings.

Rainbow Rocks on the other hand, fixed all those problems. Right off the bat, the story gets going. It's engaging and interesting from beginning to end. The musical elements are used creatively and don't feel tacked on for profit's sake (cuz with this film comes audio CDs, musical version toys of all the characters, etc.). The writers managed to make me excited for what I felt was a tournament of music and not just a high school musical competition. The visuals matched the music perfectly making the experience unique from anything I've seen on MLP before. It wasn't simply musical segments like in the final episode of season 3. During the musical parts, the physics, lighting, and everything would change for that particular song.

The villains were menacing. I could feel the threat they posed to the world whereas Sunset always struck me as "She just wants to be popular". Yeah, at the end she got her teenage army for an invasion of Equestria, but that alone is pretty silly considering teenagers aren't very threatening. It was overall a much better film that fixed the first one's problems.

Even Flash had a better balance of importance/appearances. Wasn't perfect and still rather shallow, but he didn't feel as important to the story as he did in EqG 1. The focus that wasn't on the Battle of the Bands was spent on Sunset Shimmer who really developed as a character. In EqG 1, I always felt her motivation was jealousy, but it never is explored on-screen. It left a lot to the imagination. In Rainbow Rocks, we get to know her more. She gets a story arc that starts and ends. She doesn't disappear and randomly appear throughout the story. They did a gucci job.

So yeah, Idk if you're talking about Equestria Girls the movie or Equestria Girl the series involving Rainbow Rocks, but I mentioned my thoughts on Rainbow Rocks to contrast with why I feel the way I feel about Equestria Girls 1.

One thing that killed it for me with Rainbow Rocks is the lore of the Sirens. If Starswirl the Bearded banished them, than they must be ancient. Why they resurfaced now is never explained.

I thought it was because they could never do anything. The diner scene made it seem like all they could do was live off the negative energy, but not really do anything with it.

That and they could only control a couple people at a time (like a high school's worth of people). If they ever wanted to control the world, they'd need more power and the events of EqG 1 set their plan into motion.

Also I think time passes faster in Equestria.

So maybe they got banished a long time ago, but they had only been in the human world for maybe a week.

It is implied that EqG 1 happens right after the end of Season 3. Twilight still doesn't know how to fly and she doesn't know what to expect of being princess.

Then she goes home and all of season 4 happens. At the beginning of Rainbow Rocks, she already has her castle, so this must be the case.

But also, at the beginning of Rainbow Rocks, the events of EqG 1's ending are happening.

I would assume the Dazzlings didn't wait all of season 4 to enroll at canterlot high. They probably enrolled that very next day, if not that very next week (I'll say that very next Monday. The fall formal was probably on a Friday and Sunset fixed the school over the weekend).

This implies that time passes faster in Equestria.

However, this way of looking at it causes another problem. If Twilight was at canterlot high for three days trying to get her crown back and if my idea of faster time was true, then when Twilight came back from the human world for the first time, it should have been ages into the future.

Or maybe it's just a cartoon, so who gives a flying feather.

:lol:

Archived