Species and related abilities questions

RazorWing

My my I have to say this site is absolutely astounding! Everyone has done such a fantastic job of not only organizing and creating but maintaining this place! It's been a LONG while since I have actually engaged in a FORUM based rp....not to mention this is the first time I've ever engaged in MLP rp so I do apologize in advance for the bounty of questions [especially the minute detail questions] I am about to hurl in the direction of the staff and their assistants. Now that I have spent the last two hours lurking and reading over everything my head is abuzz with questions but I'll start with the foremost concerning character design.

I am looking to place my character in the realm of CC, which as I've come to understand is more relaxed in its design than WoE. Admittedly I've had my eye on several character species only playable in the world of CC. This leads me to my first question:

Pegasi verses Areion. As I have come to understand it these two pony types are effectively a “cousin species.” With the main difference between them being the physical traits of the wings, coloration, pupil design, and tuffed ears aside from increased night vision in the Areion but “worse” vision during the day. Areion also lack their Pegasi cousin's ability to work with and manipulate the weather albeit they retained their “ancestral” ability to cloudwalk.

Given the fact “sky magic” is something required for these two types of flying ponies to exist as they do, the Areion obviously lacking in certain areas...am I wrong to conclude Areion are thus weaker all the around when placed against a Pegasi? For example, there is a vast difference in “sky magic ability” between these two species, as such would that relate to Pegasi being able to out-fly an Areion in terms of speed, agility, strength, endurance, etc. I understand exact realism is not what this site is about in terms of content but I do prefer to keep a manner of “seems realistic enough for this world.” about. In the real world creatures with feathered wings are often faster or more agile than “true flight” mammals such as bats.

Webbed wing membranes are delicate and require a different approach to use and attention to maintain than feathered wings. Feathered wings can be any variety of length and width with different physical traits in the feathers themselves to allow for things such as muffled or silent flight [as seen in owls] or the ability to tilt a leading edge feather to perform an intense aerial feat [as seen in falcons]. Where as a skin wing membrane typically means a noisy flight pattern [all the baffling created by the surface area of the wings beating to keep the body of the creature air-borne]/ And though the wing can be of various shapes [long and thin or short and broad] for either faster flight or gliding, the lack of feathers usually means not being able to fly in very cold climates [no protection against the elements] and not being able to turn quickly on a dime [aerial dynamics/air flow resistance etc. though 'slicing through the air can be done] the membrane being more susceptible to damage and a longer healing time verses feathers.

Or am I simply reading too much into this? In the world of ponies is there really that level of realistic difference between the two wing types or is the difference just an 'aesthetic' thing?

Assuming this is just aesthetic between the two wing designs, would it simply mean that Pegasi merely have a more refined ability to extend their “sky magic” ability further past their own bodies to implement it upon the environment verses the Areion? Thus leading to the Pegasi ability to manipulate weather?

Further more, does anyone have any idea as to WHY this is so? Why Pegasi can manipulate weather and Areion cannot? Any theories would be greatly appreciated!

This leads to yet another question. Is is possible for these two species to cross breed? Should they be capable of cross breeding...would it be out of the question for the offspring to display traits of both parents rather than be one parent dominate? For example, going back to the theory Areion are weaker than Pegasi do to the lacking ability of sky magic...could an offspring of a mixed couple say sport the wings of the Areion yet be able to fly hard and fast with the stamina of the Pegasi though not necessarily possess the Pegasi weather manipulation ability? Or could it be possible for an offspring to be born with the tuffed ears and slitted pupils of the Areion yet be Pegasi in design otherwise? I am curious as I have not seen this asked anywhere else.

This next question is related to both Pegasi and Areion as well. Wing size and shape. Now I understand these are cartoon characters and the small wings are suppose to make them look cute but...is it possible to give a character a larger set of wings? The gene would have to be somewhere in the DNA unless large wings are reserved for those of Royal Blood or Alicorn ascension only. I was honestly hoping to give my character a larger set of wings as they would look better on her with the rest of her body design. I was aiming for a body design of....oh what is her name? The one super model pony....can't remember her name...or something along the lines of Luna or Cadance...that longer legged more sleek looking body design. Or are those designs Alicorn specific only?

I still have a flurry of questions but I would rather not overwhelm those who attempt to help me all at once so for now I will stick with these questions and wait to ask the next set until these have been answered.

Thank you to everyone in advance who provides any and all information. I deeply appreciate it!^^

My best advice to you is to keep things simple. We have lots of lore and things to help inspire character design, but in the end your best bet is to avoid loading your character with too many lore details (or trying to bend our written elements to suit your character), and instead focus on their personality and how they would be like when interacting with other characters. Keep this in mind when writing your application for smooth acceptance and quick entry into the RP environment.

For the purposes of our RP, ponies are all one 'species' and any foals produced between members of different 'races' of ponies will always fall into one of the predefined races. A pony who's parents were a pegasus and an aerion would be either a pegasus or an aerion (or a unicorn, or an earth pony.) There aren't any half breeds among ponies.

The aerion were designed to set them apart from just being a pegasus with bat wings. But as far as flying ability, there would be no real difference between a pegasus and an aerion. They are not any weaker in flight because they can't manipulate weather. Now, you couldn't have an aerion that "flies faster than Rainbow Dash" simply because RD is the extreme end of the spectrum (spectrum, get it?) and anypony that flew faster than her would just be over-powered.

Now, for character design, you can say that your character has larger wings than usual, and/or they are tall and slim like Fleur De Lis, but having larger wings or a trim figure wouldn't add any special abilities to the character, it's just how they look.

Hope that answers some of your questions :)

When it comes to details that is where I tend to indulge myself. Not just for the small things but how it all pulls together as a whole. I look at details from as many directions as possible in an attempt to see how and why those details would play into my character for various reasons. Whether its strictly physical or mental or both everything fits together like a puzzle and effects my character as a whole. I never place something on a character or give them so attribute because I simply thing it's "cool" [crack rps excluded of course] but instead take into as care of a consideration as possible as to how attributes would help or hinder my character thus influence how they grow and develope in various stages. Something that wasn't a huge deal when they were young could be a major impact when older and vice versa. Everything has a point and though it might look a little hectic the multiple layers are something I've always loved in characters as things you never would have believed to shape a certain aspect of them...you find out the truth.

I'll admit never took well to 'simplistic' designs as I always felt the character was lacking and required more in developement. I've always been fearful of a character sounding too generic and unoriginal and turning into something I don't like to write. When I write and design something I want it to be the best it can be. Trust me when I say the plot bunnies EXPLODED earlier. Of course I know everyone's view and understanding of things can vary. Thus I wanted to make sure as to where matters stood on realism verses lore and what degree of gray area to black and white there was in terms of species. As I said I have never rped ponies before and merely desire to feel matters out before posting up a bio. I am not worried about the length of time it could take to have an approved bio, I am patient. I merely wanted to get all the big things out of the way so it would be less to go over in the review.

Alright so no hybrids, got it.

And asthetics are just that. They do not hold a large part in ability physically. An airborn pony is just that. Just different levels of sky magic.

And no I wouldn't dream of claiming to have an OC be over RD's ability, she is the canon limit until canon makes something even more extreme. Or rather she is the canon limit for mortal ponies. Twilight with the power of 4 Alicorns total was insane XD. I think she sonic purple-rainboomed when she just tried to fly normal. O-o

But yes that certainly does help. Now I am going to have to figure out a proper name and cutie mark.

Another question though. Cynogriffons. More "easy going and intune" than their griffon cousins and more on the social side. Would it be too odd to have an Aerion and a Cynogriffon be friends? I mean RD was friends with Gilda. I was going to make a Cynogriffon character and wanted to tie their story in with my pony, them having "fed" off one another in terms of growing up and developement given where their lived, parents, lifestyle and such...changes they went through, etc. Make no mistake they are just friends, not trying to build a love dynamic or anything.

Another asthetics question too. Are the Changlings, Sombra and Nightmare moon the only ponies with pointed teeth?

I don't see why a pony/cynogriffon friendship would be a problem. I've got a regular griffon growing up around ponies primarily, so I don't see why that would be a problem. Plus, it's in between two of your characters.

-Nods- Thanks Pyro.^^ It's always a little nerve wracking being a not only a newbie to a site but to a fandom. I've spent most of my time lurking in the creepypasta/grimdark part of the pony fandom along with the...how should I phrase it? "Take it to the max" in terms of what could possible exist in Equestria. I personally love seeing how people can work some of these insane and wonderful ideas into fitting nicely into the realm!

I've got the outline for my two charries now. Time to work on the fine points. I've been researching approved CC bios to get a feel for the limits on other attributes and aspects. There are so many wonderful characters!

Still beating my head against a rock for a cutie mark design though.

EDIT:

I believe I saw this elsewhere but I just wanted to be sure on this.

Mild substitue swearing is allowed in the FFA area but is it allowed in CC and for that matter a bio?

I do apologize for making your head explode SilverMoonlight >< But I just want to be sure about things before I submit my bio. I believe its better to ask permission rather than forgiveness. I'd rather collect as much data as possible so when the admins review my bio it hopefully won't give them a headache. I can be crazy when it comes to detail and information as I'm always fearful my character might be too underdeveloped in some manner that is a major problem.

But I'm afraid I am going to be asking another few questions, I am sorry I am coming in so unsure of things.><

This one is more of a needing some imput type thing. I do apologiz if this is the wrong place to ask this but I am having big problems figuring out a cutie mark. I need some help. I have a female Bat Pony who's special talent is speed in flight, especially at night. What would be some suggestions?

Archived