It's Not Just A Game... (Private: SAO RP)

Hawkeye12

This is a private Sword Art Online Themed RP between me and YoshiStar350.

PLOT: A technological breakthrough has happened in Equestria. Video games and other technology is developing all the time, but the greatest innovation of all is the NerveGear: A helmet that puts yourself virtually in video games. But on the release date of Sword Art Online, one on the NerveGear's most anticipated games, something is wrong: players aren't able to log out of the game. The only way to get back into the real world is to defeat the final boss on the 100th floor. And if your HP drops to zero, the NerveGear sends microwaves into your brain, killing you in both worlds.

---

Day One ~ Floor 1 ~ 11:45 pm ~ Equestria

Hawkeye sat in his room, anxiously looking at the clock. The release of Sword Art Online was literally minutes away. He had the NerveGear and the game in claw, ready. After the release of the NerveGear, Hawk had become obsessed with it, playing whenever he could. But he got even more obsessed when the griffon heard that he would be one of the beta testers. He practically spent every waking moment playing. Heck, he probably played more than he was out shooting arrows.

But the beta test didn't matter now. Since the game would officially be releasing today, he would be back to level one. Not that it mattered. He only got to floor 6 in the beta. Hawk took another glance at the clock. 11:59.

The griffon looked around his bedroom for a moment. It was pretty bare. His bow hung on the wall opposite from him, as was his desk he never really used. Before the NerveGear, Hawk would always be outside. But now he always seemed to be playing video games.Eventually, the annoying beeping sound of his clock forced him out of his thoughts. 12:00. It was time. The griffon put on his helmet and layed on his bed. He turned the helmet on and closed his eyes.

The screen was white for several moments before the words "Welcome to Sword Art Online!" appeared on his screen. And then, as if he was simply asleep, his eyes opened. He was in the Town of Beginnings. The griffon moved around a little, getting used to his virtual body. "I have arrived," he said to himself, smirking.

[Hehe yay, glad we finally got around to doing this. :) ]

Starflame awoke with a start. She yawned and stretched, but then her eyes opened wide with realization.

"Oh for the love of… how long did I oversleep?"

She looked at the clock. 11:45, it read. SAO! It was going to be released in 15 minutes! Quickly, the unicorn levitated a hairbrush over, combing through her mess of a mane. She had been anticipating this game forever, and she just had to oversleep on its release date!

Star sighed, holding the NerveGear in her hooves. She had kept her love of video games a secret, as she didn't want others to know that she did something so… stallionish. But they were fun. She had only wished she gotten in the beta test...

The unicorn glanced at the clock again. She still had a few minutes. Out of boredom, she started to play with her fire magic, making swirls in the air. It was her special talent. Of course, if her emotions got the best of her… then so would the magic. It led to dangerous situations at times.

After what seemed like forever, the clock finally struck 12. Star put on the helmet and waited as she entered the world of SAO. And then, her eyes opened. She was standing in what seemed to be like a town square, with many other ponies appearing around her. "Well, this is it," she said with a sigh.

Hawkeye looked up into the virtual sky. It just looked so... real. It practically was real to him. He sighed. If he made it out into the fields now, he could level up a little and get the enemies before anyone else did. The griffon spread his wings and flew off.

Day 1 ~ Floor 1 ~ 5:00 pm ~ The fields

After some hours of training, stopping only for lunch, Hawk felt satisfied. He walked over to a cliff and sat down, right on the edge. It was one of his favourite spots to sit in the whole virtual world. Especially now, when the sun was just setting below the horizon, and the sky was streaked with red and orange. He was completely lost in thought when he heard a stallion's voice behind him.

"Hey, uh, can you help me?"

Hawk turned around. He realized he hadn't talked to anyone all day, practically ignored everyone else who was out training. "Yeah, what's up?" he asked.

"Well, uh..." He pulled up his menu, a holographic screen in front of him. "Well, I need to go log out now, but I can't find the logout button..."

Hawk looked at the menu. "It's right..." he pointed to a spot where the button was supposed to be, but it wasn't there. "Well, it's supposed to be there. Maybe a bug?"

The stallion looked at him, worried. "Yeah, maybe..."

Just then, Hawkeye's body as well as the stallion's began to glow, and they appeared back in the town square. A forced teleportation? He looked around, but everyone else seemed just as confused as he was.

Star simply looked around in awe at the world. It was just so perfect, so real. She sighed. Well, there was no time to waste. She had to figure out the controls and level up a little if she ever wanted to beat the game.

She trained for hours, hardly paying attention to anyone else around her. The sword techniques were fairly easy to learn, and she even leveled up a little. She looked up into the sky, watching the sun set. There were conversations going on all around her, but she ignored them.

Suddenly, Star's entire body began to glow. "What in the..." she looked around worriedly, and saw that everyone else's body was doing the same thing. Then, with a flash, she appeared back in town square.

It seemed that everyone else who was playing had appeared here. Star looked around again, trying not to panic. She was standing next to a griffon and other ponies. A chill went through her. She always got cold when she was nervous. She just hoped her fire magic wouldn't activate right now...

Hawk notice a mare who was standing nearby her shiver a little. Feeling bad, he pulled up his menu and took a black hoodie out of the item box, something he had won while training earlier.

"Here," he said quietly, handing her the hoodie. "Take this, I don't need it,"

Just then, the sky above him turned a dark blood red. Shouts of panic arose from the crowd as a black hooded pony-like figure began to form out of nowhere, and floated there in the sky.

"Hello, players," he said in a monotone voice. "Welcome to my world."

New world? But as soon as he thought it, Hawkeye knew exactly who this guy was.

"My name is Kayaba, the creator of Sword Art Online."

I knew it.

"If you already hadn't noticed, of your menu screens, there seems to be no logout button. I assure you, this is not a bug. It is an important part of my world."

What the buck is he talking about?

"You see, players can not simply log out of SAO. The only way to get back into the real world, is to beat the game." he paused for a moment, and Hawk swore he saw a smirk on the figure's face. "However, if your HP drops to zero at any time, the NerveGear will automatically send microwaves into your brain, ending your life in the game and in the real world."

The crowd seemed to gasp all at once, but Hawkeye didn't move. He just stared at the figure, disgusted.

"Also, if someone from the outside world attempts to remove the NerveGear from you, the helmet will also send the microwaves into your brain. Despite our warnings, over 200 players have died already."

Another shocked reaction.

"However, I have faith in you, players. This game is possible to defeat I wish you the best of luck, and have fun playing SAO."

And with that, the figure disappeared into thin air, and the crowd seemed to erupt in anger. Needing to get out of the crowd, Hawkeye flew up into the air, even though it wasn't that better since some other pegasi and griffons had the same idea. He flew to the edge of town.

Star's fiery coloured eyes looked up at the griffion as he handed her a black hoodie. She took it in her magic for a moment, and then slipped it on. Instantly, she was warmer.

"Thanks," she muttered kindly. But just then, the griffon turned back to the sky, and so did Star, A pony like figure was forming in the sky.

The figure began to speak, and Star could only stand there, frozen with fear. He talked about how the only way to escape the game alive was to beat it on the 100th floor.

"That's... that's impossible," she muttered to herself. And then the realization of not being able to leave came over her. What would happen to her family? Her friends? Would she ever see them again. How long would she last?

A single teardrop rolled down her cheek, but nopony seemed to notice. And then, as quickly as it appeared, the figure- Kayaba- disappeared into thin air.

Star just stood there, hardly noticing as the chaos erupted from the crowd. But soon, people were fighting each other, and she knew she had to get out of there, even though it was said your HP wouldn't drop in towns or other safezones. The mare considered teleporting back to the fields, but her magic might not be strong enough for that. So instead, she ducked into an empty shop, and waited it out.

Hawk was flying to the next town. Of course, the game still had some enemies that attacked players in the air, so he had to fight a little. But it was better than staying in the Town of Beginnings. With literally every player being there all at once, food and supplies would run out quickly. He had to make it to the next town.

"I will survive this," he said to himself. "I will survive, I will survive..."

((I'll let you post one more time Yosh, and then you think we should skip to a couple weeks or a month after?))

Archived