More Gender Options

JeffMangum

I recognize that it's hard for other gender options to really be available/usable/make sense given the pony theme, but for those who don't identify with male or female, it can generate a bit of dysphoria over one's identity. While the option 'Not Telling' is probably there just for that, one may risk feeling that their gender identity is one that isn't capable of being disclosed.

I understand that, based on many opinions/feelings of many people, that there could be a plethora of different genders or what have you, but I think what could remedy this is a simple "Other" option. Possibly even being able to type out one's gender manually, but I realize that would cause the associated symbol to be unusable, so that's something else to consider entirely.

inb4 triggered

I don't think there is any problem with mlp genders.

I don't think there's an inherent problem either, but for example, I don't identify as male or female because I feel very uncomfortable within my own skin. I'd consider myself agender with regards to it. "Not Telling" for me half-works because I don't have to stick to either or, but it also feels like it's a matter of "don't ask; don't tell".

I suppose while your at it, we should stick a questionnaire that ask for every single detail about you before you can sign up?

I mean, i have no problem spouting my life to everyone. but i generally don't want to look at your profile and know every single thing about you other wise there will be no surprise into talking to you.

It also dulls the imagination of the other person could have of you.

I believe the point behind the don't ask; don't tell idea is to develop a understanding of each other before you tell them your a e.g. Shamanistic Therian, and the friendship turns to a blood feud that one wants to get involved in.

opinion, opinion, opinion... I will win this game~! nwaahahahaha...

Being very careful not to spark off something here, but I don't think gender in this case means identified gender. It means your biological sex.

Given that, there can only really be three options with the additional option to not disclose.

Identified gender is to do very much with your own personality so I think something like that should be left to your own bio or description of yourself on your profile.

That's my two cents at any rate.

• 3 weeks later...

Zealot has the right idea. In our application forms, we're just looking for the character's biological gender. You are allowed to create a character on any level of the identified gender scale, but that's really part of the personality, rather than part of their description.

• 2 weeks later...

If the buttons piss you off, then screw the buttons!

Don't actually do that that's weird.

Just put your identified gender in the about me section or something. Or say it proudly and loudly!

Or just plain don't give a crap and tell them you're a certain gender for some street cred.

If you're referring to the gender option on the profile (which I assume you are):

Why should a single word on a page cause you discomfort about your sexual identity? There are quite a few users on this site who can't possibly be defined by those three choices, however they've either simply chosen the one they identify most with or they choose "not telling" and openly explain their state of being in a small description below.

I hardly think you should let it bother you, make it your own and it becomes a non-issue.

Archived