[Sponsored] The Spire

SteelEagle

Bulk Biceps' eyebrow lifted somewhat at Blueblood's implication that he was in the wrong party. While Bulk wasn't necessarily about to argue that, he hadn't seen Blueblood's name on the invitation, either. Regardless, he wasn't exactly about to be told he didn't belong anywhere just because one disaffected pony said so.

Bulk stood where he was, as though standing his ground, eating from his plate almost by the hoofful, when he noticed another arrival. Rainbow Dash had arrived, and was talking with a Zebra she was obviously well familiar with. Smiling at the arrival of his Equestria Games team captain, he turned again in the direction of the pompous unicorn stallion trying to chat up another mare.

"'Scuse me, Your Highness," he boomed, indicating the colourfully maned pegasus with his hoof, "but if she's here, does that make it enough of a gathering of athletes for you?"

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

photo-9584.png?_r=1416876179

A grimace fell across the face of the young Trottingham artist, "That ship has sailed, Merlot turned out to be... not as great as I thought he was." Merlot and Presteza's relationship had wound up being interesting to say the least. She got to see so many incredible ruins and amazing artifacts in her time with him, but in time she realized just how much of a snob and a jerk he could be. What irked her most about the stallion was how he always referred to ponies who weren't privileged in the same way as their families were as 'plebeians'. There were quite a few times where she had to remind him that her father was actually one of those so called plebeians that he looked down upon before he met Belle and produced her and her brother, "Really... 'e turned out ta be a bit of a jerk. I think all ponies have some good in them though... maybe he'll meet a pony who can make a better stallion outta him someday. S'not gonna be me though, not fer a lack of tryin'!"

"Anyhoo!" Said the peppy painter as she swiftly changed the topic back to the subject of how the Prince was doing, "I'm glad ta hear yer doin' good! How did you meet Voronoi, if ya don't mind me askin'?" Pressy was legitimately curious about that, Blueblood and Javasun didn't really seem the type to be friends; let alone attend a party together. For a moment she let her mind wander for a bit and then she came to an interesting conclusion; Opposites attract. A slight smile creased the mare's lip, "Are you two... together?" she asked, quizzically tilting her head.

The mare dropped the doctor in the mailbox and sent him home? Good! That certainly brightened up the stallion's mood for the night! Heck even his ears were perking up like he had heard some hopeful news! Fire crackers were storming in his mind! Tiny ponies were cheering and throwing confetti! It was going to be one heck of a party for the stallion once he leaves this place! However... the real problem comes to his nerves. And... even though the current altitude would probably be unsurvivable, not much help received with the pavement below, he might find himself throwing his own body outside of the window in hopes of escaping the embarrassment of clumsiness, blubbering speech, and even sweaty hooves! That's... if hooves can sweat.

"Oh!? Really," the stallion seemed to beam out a bit to excitedly. His ears flicked back a bit, and his eyes shifted slightly. Realizing he might want to tone it down a bit, he allowed himself a few seconds to regain his composure. Though there was a different tint to his voice. Nervousness? "Erm... w-well that's good. Y-yes!" He cleared his throat, and thought about the doctor. "Now Merlot? I've met him. He's.... welll..." Voronoi trailed off slowly. Once again his teeth were exposed as he made a sharp inhaling hiss. Even his eyes seem to slide away with a very obvious spilling out distaste for that buck."... eh... some things are best left unsaid. What I have to say about him would make me want to rip my tongue out with a rusty spoon and stuff it into a blender."

"Give 'im some o' those and he'll probably downright love ya!"

The stallion's eyes shifted down to the bag to inspect the contents. And then smiled when the mare explained the reason for those. He scooped one up delicately in a hoof, and offered it out to the little critter. Once it was snatched up, he scooped one up for himself and popped it into his jaws and started to chew, enjoying the flavor before swallowing. "He's a cute little guy! Though... the color is a little odd..."

Then came the more curious question.

"I'm glad ta hear yer doin' good! How did you meet Voronoi, if ya don't mind me askin'?" Pressy was legitimately curious about that, Blueblood and Javasun didn't really seem the type to be friends; let alone attend a party together. For a moment she let her mind wander for a bit and then she came to an interesting conclusion; Opposites attract. A slight smile creased the mare's lip, "Are you two... together?" she asked, quizzically tilting her head.

The two of them together? Oh sure. Voronoi guess it's fair for her to say such a thing. He's friendlier to the Prince than most ponies had probably been. Likely knows him better and could probably predict his actions. And he definitely wasn't acting like a Spittlelick. Handsome? Yes. But... she clearly doesn't know him as well as she hoped.

Voronoi rolled his eyes to the mare's comment, and gave a mad cackling laugh. He removed the glasses he was wearing, and slipped them back into his coat. The world became a bit more blurry with finer details going easily unnoticed.

"Nope! Can't even add the word sadly in front of that one," The stallion chuckled. Sure he found the stallion handsome. But being an option? Yeah... no. That's a point of line where he'd probably put himself in an asylum on the moon. Straight jacket and the works. He's not that crazy.

“No! We're just friends. Well, I'd say that. Him? Eh... I am sure Blue-blood would be more agreeable with the word acquaintance. The sort that he'd probably rather be without. Just because I give him a hard time!” The stallion flashed Blueblood a mischievous grin after catching his recent discomfort. "Now... for how we know each other? Bit of a mystery. We did have a pretty heated poker game however." In reality, it was more so that Celestia had sent him a letter to help show her nephew some humility and for him to possibly make friends. While normally, Voronoi would avoid high class life at all costs... he actually took a liking to Prince Blueblood. Not the physical kind. But the friendly kind. There's a bit more to the buck than his occasional.... mollycoddled nature. So... he's just doing him a favor and sparing the prince the embarrassment of the actual details.

The stallion paused for a moment. His eyes rolling up in thought as he pulled back what he remembered about the mare's nature. His eyes then quickly flicked back to the mare, "Don't let your mind wonder to far on that one..."

Then the stallion heard yet another familiar voice! His gaze quickly flicked to the newest pony to the small gathering, and once again, he wielded a broad grin. His “And it's good to see you again, Ice! And I've been well! What about yourself?”

"Sure," Maud said to Twilight before she left. "Though the diamonds are quite rare, so it is unlikely I will find another soon. The sample I collected previously I gave to Princess Cadance, who commissioned the expedition, along with the other things gathered. She may still posses it."

As the princess made her exit, Maud focused again on the solemn pony in the dark coat called Rose. "Indeed," she said blankly. "Many types of stone can be used in construction, including even gemstones, as this empire makes evident," she observed, looking around. "There is no finer material for building, though rocks have an infinity of other uses and things which makes them interesting."

Maud prepared herself to list as many of these uses and interesting facts as she could, but then she happened to spot another familiar face walk by. it was another of the friends Pinkie had connected her to in Ponyville, Rainbow Dash. It was perhaps harder for Maud to find common ground with this pony than Twilight. She seemed to get worked up by frivolous things. She was a pony compelled by competition, a thing almost entirely alien to Maud's process of thought. The way Pinkie described the rainbow-tressed mare, however, Rainbow was a a more creative and clever than she let on, and also ultimately a positive presence, which Maud could definitely appreciate.

The way she looked around, it seemed she was looking for someone. It was easy to guess who it was. "Hi..." Maud said in her dull voice as she walked up to the pegasus, who had approached the zebra to whom Maud had earlier exchanged words. "Twilight just left to see her brother," she added an explanation. "She promised to return."

"Hi..."

Rainbow turned her attention for just a moment from Zecora to Maud, a pony with which she had little in common with but still appreciated. She was Pinkie's sister after all, and any relation to Pinkie was a friend of Rainbow. However, it always felt difficult trying to make conversation with the earth pony. Dash had learned that Maud had more feeling than she let on, but still she often left Rainbow slightly flabbergasted. This was a party though, and Rainbow ruled at partying hard! That included being nice to everyone as long as they didn't try to beat her at anything.

"Hi Maud! What's up? You enjoying the party? How's Boulder?" She raised her hoof up for a bump after the flurry of questions, hoping at least one would suit Maud's fancy to answer.

Twilight just left to see her brother. She promised to return."

"Wait, how did you know I was looking for Twilight?" She cocked her head a bit, trying to figure out how Maud always seemed to know what was going on. "I hope she's not too stressed out today."

Zecora braced herself as the Diamond Dog approached. She wondered given how long that the creature had in contact with ponies how much she knew about being gentle with others. It wasn't that the Zebra was an expert on Diamond Dog culture by any means, only getting her information second hoof from others who encountered these creatures. But to her relief Kalime was very gentle in petting her like one would care for a pet. That brought a little worry as Zecora hoped that Kalime didn't think she was a pet.

"Kalime Thank Zebra for letting her pet! Zebra was just so pretty Kalime couldn't help herself

"Well I thank you for being so gentle with me. And i also thank you for calling me pretty. Your interest in me is very sweet and I am glad we had the chance to meet."

Zecora looked over to see that the grey earth pony answered her question, probably as blunt as possible, but it was enough for the Zebra to nod in understanding. She also noticed Twilight Sparkle leave the room, most likely to some engagement. She could only hope that everything was ok but seeing the princess smile put the zebra at ease. Her attention turned towards the other ponies milling about including Glimmer who explained her acting more to the Zebra.

"I expect that would take some skill. They're the narrator and the characters at the same time. Gosh. But yeah, it is hard to keep your character straight at times, but that just comes with practice. Modelling is about focus and grace, a lot of ponies just think it's a simple walk. Oh no. It's the hardest walk you'll ever do." Glimmer giggled at that then thought of another question, "So, you know what I do. What do you do?"

"Indeed this kind of storytelling does take some skill, which is why few storytellers will. Most just tell a story while standing or sitting down rather than also trying to move around. As for me and what I do, I make potions to help ponies like you. So if a pony has a sickness of injury I look to find some kind of herbal remedy."

"You must be the legendary Zecora from Ponyville!" the excited crystal mare neighed. "I have read of your exploits, you are quite famous here in the Crystal Empire, I mean to say, none of us ever knew that zebras like you existed until after the defeat of King Sombra and our reentry into this world. Oh my stars! Where are my manners? My name is Tilly Tome, Head Librarian of the Crystal Empire. I've been reading as much as I can get my hooves on about the lands outside of our Empire. I hope I'm not being too forward, but could you tell me about, zebras? Where do they come from? Are there more like you in Equestria?"

Zecora was stunned to hear she was famous in the Crystal Empire especially never setting her hoof there until recently. Perhaps news travels quickly of her presence in Ponyville. Of course it was hard not to attract the attention of others given her unique appearance. The Librarian was very interested in learning about her culture as many other she met did. Unyasi was a mysterious place to many and so were the Zebras that called it home.

"Well I come from a place of great beauty a land called Unyasi. It lies south of the Equestria mainland and located nearby some islands. While i am not sure where others come from there may be other places in the kingdom. As for other zebras living here that is a question I cannot answer I fear. For I am the only one I've seen living where I dwell, at least this from what I can tell."

Zecora then noticed another familiar face in the form of Rainbow Dash who flew into the party.

"Well hello to you too. I am having a good time I'm happy to tell. I hope that you are having fun as well."

Twilight just left to see her brother. She promised to return."

"Indeed she had gone to most likely do her royal duty, although as mentioned she should return shortly. It is clear that you wanted to meet with her then especially since you are her friend."

Oh good, Sunrise wanted her card. The unicorn fished around in her purse until she found one of her business cards, "Yeah," she replied. "I don't quite know how they get that thin. I mean, I diet to keep my figure but there's a point where they become a bit too skinny. They have to look good to show off the dress, not look like they have no body," she giggled at that. Though in truth she was a little put out at the idea that she was fat. Not that she was, and neither was Sunrise trying to infer that as she pointed out. There was a flash of doubt though. After all, she wasn't as skinny as quite a few of the models. Glimmer knew very well how they did it, and it wasn't something she was interested in. Who said you had to be skinny to be a good actor after all, and modelling was just a side job for her. An important one that kept her a-float and boosted her career, but at the end of the day she was an actress at heart.

Glimmer retrieved the card and offered it to Sunrise. It was a simple card with her name, profession and contact details. There was a lack of any kind of fancy design, and they were simple white card with purple writing. It might be a little apparent that it was done on the cheap, but that didn't matter right? "So, any hints at what's next in season?" she asked, sounding optimistic. Though she didn't expect the designer to spill anything, it would be nice to get a heads up on what she should be wearing instead of the pink dress she was wearing.

The zebra answered her in her usual rhyming speech, which delighted Glimmer every time she heard it. Zecora sounded very musical and very wise at the same time. She took another sip of her drink and listened to the zebra explain to the elderly pony where she was from. The distant land of Unyasi. The unicorn repeated it syllable by syllable. "Uhn-yah-si, is that right? Are there any ponies there?" she asked. It was a slightly odd question, but not an invalid one. She was intrigued by this new land and wanted to know what it was like, though it would probably be best not to rail off questions to Zecora. Glimmer thought she would soon get bored of her.

That was when Glimmer's eye was caught by new guests entering the hall. A blue mare who seemed to know the group of nobles who had peeled off from the rest of the group, and a rainbow maned pegasus, who seemed to know Zecora. The colours in her hair fascinated the actress. How had she managed that? She must have a genius stylist.

Seeing as the zebra was close, that gave Glimmer a golden opportunity to make an introduction. "Hey there, my name's Glimmer. I must say, I couldn't help but admire your mane. It's so bold and daring, how did you get it to be so colourful?" she asked, holding out a hoof in greeting.

Icybanner_zps47801f3d.png

Pressy's reaction to Icy showing up in the conversation was about as one would have expected. As soon as the mare started running over to her Icy was already preparing herself and took a deep breath before the latching bear-hug ensued. Ice returned the hug with just about as much force until they both broke away for a bit as she asked about her snow cone business. "The business itself is running smoothly. My Ponyville store is still open, but naturally since I'm running the Canterlot store, it's closed while I'm here. I'm not quite that talented to be in two places at once," she giggled. "Love your dress by the way, you look gorgeous in it," she added with a smile. She had to admit even she was surprised with this dress. Having lived with the mare that she was talking to, and still living with her in the guild house, she would have remembered seeing that dress before. It must have been relatively new. It even had matching shoes to go with it! So elegant!

"Sorry I wasn't able to make the train with you, by the time I realized I was going to be coming hand had everything together, your train was already gone. I just barely caught my train and cought quite a feww looks from ponies as I was bolting through the train station trying to get on," she giggled as she remembered the look that the conductor gave her as she got on the train. She imagined the look that she got when she got off of the train was somewhat similar as she quite possibly had left a dust cloud behind her.

Java didn't really return much of any comment to her, but that was understandable. It was quite possible that he just didn't remember her. They had only met once before during the Winter Wrap Up Blizzard, and she wasn't exactly the most memorable mare. She had heard from plenty that she was quite cute, but even she knew you had to be a lot more than cute to make a lasting impression on some ponies. If that weren't the case, then she'd probably be famous around Equestria. A small giggle came from her as she thought about the extravagant thought.

Before she had much time to think about anything else, including the thought of making a small snow-cone for Pressy's little friend, Prince Blueblood approached her. This had potential to either be really good, or really bad. She could definitely tell that some of his reputation did precede him, but at the same time, she couldn't really deny the reaction. If she were in his shoes, and a stallion and somepony accused her of being with another stallion she probably would have had the same reaction. Of course, this did make her somewhat of a hypocrite because she herself was a mare's mare herself so she wouldn't take offense to the opposite either.

As Prince Blueblood approached her and asked if they had met somewhere around Canterlot before, perhaps at the Gala, as he gave a small bow of respect to her. A courtesy that she promptly returned. "I can't say that I've ever been to the Grand Galloping Gala. I personally have never had a chance to go. It is quite possible that you saw me on the night when I stayed in the Castle with Princess Luna during a blizzard. I'm still kinda waiting on my first assignment from her, but I'm not in a hurry either. Good things come to those who wait, they always say. I'm not sure where else that you would have met me though. I don't remember seeing you in my store, and I know if you would like what I sell too much. I'm not sure what your opinion is of snow cones," she told him honestly. Her snow cones where very carnival like, and while granted she sold milkshakes, ice cream, and various other frozen treats, snow cones were still her primary sales.

"Most of them are skinnier than any other pony I've ever seen. It's somewhat disturbing at times, actually, how skinny they manage to make themselves." Sunrise said, agreeing with Glimmer's words about models. When offered the card, the unicorn floated it up to her face, reading it over. It wasn't all that fancy, but that didn't matter. It had all the information she needed and didn't look that bad either. She stowed it away in her own purse for later, giving Glimmer a smile at the question about next season's fashions.

"Now now, Glimmer, that is information that is not given out to just anypony." She said, somewhat jokingly. "Besides, if I were to do a design for you, it would be one that matched you more than the current trends."

Well, now there were even more ponies in the room, including an athletic-looking pegasus with a rainbow-colored mane and tail. Plus a unicorn mare that was all icy colors. Huh, fire and ice, no doubt, were in the room, with this mare likely having ice magic and Sunrise having fire magic. She hung back for the moment as Glimmer spoke to the pegasus. She was designing dresses in her mind, trying to make one that fit the icy-colored unicorn before her.

KalimeBannerNew_zps069cf7ee.png

She didn't think of Zecora, or any pony as a "Pet" she did however know how SHE would want to be petted, which was with a gentle touch, the last thing she wanted to do was hurt the pretty Zebra that was talking to her, and not looking at her like she didn't belong here! "Zecoraa"She heard the Zebra say her name a few times so "Zecora very pretty, Kalime done petting" She removed her paw and grinned "Is good to meet Ze..co..ra too! Kalime never seen a Zeebra before!" Kalime gave the Zebra her kindest, and most cheerful smile, stepping back so the others talking to her approach!

SO many ponies, Kalime moved her hands to her face and gasped, there was a pretty gray pony that smelled like the earth, and a pretty blue pony with the PRETTIEST RAINBOW MANE Kalime had EVER SEEN!

She approached hesitantly and grinned at Rainbow Dash, she would have approached Glimmer, but Kalime knew when a pony radiated "stay away"

"..Scuse me Miss Rainbow Pony, Kalime was wondering how pony get pretty rainbows stuck in her mane..?" It was so beautiful! In the camp the only color to light up the area were the gems...! OH that reminded her!

She turned back to look at Zecora, who was talking to that pony from before, and fumbled in the pockets of her red vest, taking out a pretty piece of Obsidian, it was jet black, flat and shiny, and it was a rare one that had a streak of silver running through it "Scuse me Miss ..Ze-co...ra! Kalime totally forgot! Here!" offering the stone to the Zebra.

"Kalime want to give pretty Gem to New friend! It remind her of Zebra stripes!"

"..Scuse me Miss Rainbow Pony, Kalime was wondering how pony get pretty rainbows stuck in her mane..?"

Rainbow turned from Maud for a moment as the diamond dog approached and spoke to her. The mare's immediate reaction was to back off a pace from the creature. She had not had too many run in's with diamond dogs but on the occasions that she had, they were not pleasant experiences. However, there was something about this particular dog. First of all, she was at the Crystal Faire. There was no way that she would be there without passing by at least a few royal guards and the like. If she had been admitted, then she was probably not going to cause trouble. All these thoughts went through Rainbow's head in a flash. The dog seemed friendly enough so she flashed a quick grin and spoke.

"Oh, hey there...uh..." She had no idea how to address a diamond dog. "Hey there! Well, I guess it was the rainbow that picked me. I was born with them in my mane and tail! I think they add to my awesomeness!" She fly a quick loop and landed back on the ground lightly. She remembered seeing the dog patting Zecora a moment ago and figured it wouldn't hurt to offer. "So, did you want to?" She flicked her mane towards Kalime and smiled. It didn't hurt to be nice. At least her friend Fluttershy had taught her something.

201px-Crystal_librarian_rejuvenated_S3E1.pngTilly Tome

Tilly Tome was giddy with delight! The elderly crystal mare was having a conversation with a real, living zebra! Learning new things was one of her favorite activities!

"My stars! You're from a land called Unyasi! That's extraordinary! I've never heard of that realm, I take it that's not a part of Equestria. Are there any scrolls or books about your homeland available to read?"

As Tilly Tome waited for a reply, she noticed there was another unique species in her vicinity, one that was offering Zecora a lovely gift! The crystal mare tried not to stare at Kalime, but she was very curious about her.

"Excuse me, miss?" Tilly asked Kalime, "forgive my curiosity, but I've never seen anyone quite like you in the Crystal Empire. Er, that didn't come out quite right, what I meant to say is, welcome to our Crystal Faire! My name is Tilly Tome and I was wondering, where do you come from, and, if I may be so bold, what sort of, species, are you? I'm the Head Librarian of this Empire, and I must say, I don't believe I've read about your kind in any of my scrolls and books. You do have an exquisite taste in rare gems!"

Being a socialite in Canterlot often meant being, to a certain degree, a pony juggler. Doubly so if one was a Royal; unless one wanted to be the center of a crowd one had to pass off ponies to other conversational partners. Mind you, Blueblood did not in the least mind being the center of attention, but he preferred it, if at all possible, to be admiring attention.

Failing that, go for damage control. Priority number one: overmuscled athlete. Trying his best to moderate his tone, the Prince remarked to Bulk. "If it's enough to make you feel at home, sure. There's nothing more awkward at one of these parties than when one has nobody of like mind to talk to. Especially when one is duty-bound to stay until the end, as I have on many less fortunate occasions." There; suitably polite, gives the other party a gracious exit cue.

Priority two: inexplicable eccentric. Fortunately, Java was providing no conversational fires in need of dowsing. It only required a sigh at his characterization of the Prince, and a quick, "Yes, I believe that was how it all started; quite the game, that one." Kept in play, but no committal of serious resources.

No, that was reserved for Final Priority: Pretty Mare. Snow cones, eh? Well, he'd learned the hard way it didn't do to make too big a fuss over 'common carnival food.' Instead, he gave Icy a small smile and regretful sigh. "I'm afraid I don't care much for sweets in general; careful diet, you know-" Wait, hold up. First assignment? Luna? The sudden realizing of those words rattled what Faust gave Blueblood for brains, and churned out a quick conclusion. "Ah, if I'm interpreting this correctly, Auntie Luna has taken you on... as a student?" He blinked, not quite sure how to deal with this information. "Huh. Fancy that. No, I can't say I did see you there... Auntie Luna and I've never really talked. Hm, should do something about that..."

It was rather embarrassing to be caught out like that, and it shook the Prince's normal pose of self-assuredness, for a moment revealing a worried a regretful look. Luna was... family, or at least one of the few still living he could claim as such. It was a shame to not have established some kind of rapport with her since her return. Even a second overbearing Aunt a la Celestia would have been alright...

Glimmer figured things were going well for her, it was quite a surprise to find that she was flat out ignored by the rainbow pegasus. Upstaged by a diamond dog of all things. Who knew, it was a little loud in here, though her outstretched hoof sort of gave it away. No matter, can't win them all. The unicorn lowered her hoof back to the ground and did her best to not look completely dejected. Her face reading neutral.

She took a step closer and found that it was probably the noise. Glimmer barely made out the pegasus's explanation that she was born with rainbow in her hair. That quite fascinated Glimmer, though it disheartened her as well. After all, if the pegasus didn't have an amazing stylist, why was Glimmer trying to talk to her? Ahh well, she guessed she could be up for some pleasant conversation. Then she was mildly alarmed that the rainbow maned mare was going to allow the diamond dog to pet her too. Was this what they were doing now? While she didn't object to the diamond dog's presence Glimmer was worried she was going to do something off and ruin Glimmer's shot at being noticed somehow. After all, a diamond dog at a high society party was one heck of a wildcard. The unicorn loathed wildcards. Not to mention the time it had taken to get Glimmer's mane looking as immaculate as it was. Maybe she could handle a single petting if asked? She'd hate to make anyone think she wasn't tolerant. Just not the mane...

Either way, the diamond dog didn't look interested in her. Probably for the best, though she didn't want to be rude. After all, she'd already got her name out there. More so than she'd hoped. It wouldn't hurt to relax her guard a bit would it? Glimmer could tell she was getting wound up. It was all the pressure, all the thinking. Too much thinking for her. Similar to stage anxiety, and she had the technique to cope with that.

The actress made it look like she was taking another sip of her drink, but in reality she took a calming breath and let the matter slide. She was Glimmer, and a positive attitude had always seen her through. So what if there were wildcards, Princes and rhyming zebras around. She'd get through it. Her new-found assurance and openness must have reflected in her posture.

Still that had given her enough time to process what Sunrise had said. "Of course, I was just hoping. But, you mean to say you don't follow the trends?" she asked, somewhat bemused. Though she had to admit, "Oh. I'm not a designer, what would I know. Though I think that makes a lot of sense actually." Now that she thought about it, it really did. If everypony had dresses that fitted them, fashion would be a lot simpler. "I did say your dresses just seemed to click. That must be it, wow, that's clever." Perhaps it wasn't high praise, but Glimmer sounded quite genuinely impressed.

She still listened for Zecora's response to her question, though the zebra seemed to be pre-occupied with an elderly crystal pony.

Sjr3lPL.jpg

Oh, so the good doctor had been dumped? Well, now Blueblood could speak his mind about Merlot to his former marefriend, and good thing too! His buried opinions had been souring his spleen and gall bladder for far too long now. "Well, allow me to extend a gratitude on behalf of all of us for being the first pony to take the opportunity to prune that climbing weed! I'm no scholar, but I have just enough classical education to know that the son of middle class parents has no sort of right to look down upon his fellow-plebians. He of all ponies ought to know better; I think he's a quack, myself."

"No! Absolutely not! By no means!"

"He's a cute little guy! Though... the color is a little odd..."

"Nope! Can't even add the word sadly in front of that one,"

“No! We're just friends. Well, I'd say that. Him? Eh... I am sure Blue-blood would be more agreeable with the word acquaintance. The sort that he'd probably rather be without. Just because I give him a hard time!” The stallion flashed Blueblood a mischievous grin after catching his recent discomfort. "Now... for how we know each other? Bit of a mystery. We did have a pretty heated poker game however. Don't let your mind wonder to far on that one..."

The painter was a bit surprised by Blueblood's incredulous response, a simple no would have been fine. Seemed like a bit of an overreaction. There was no stigma for two stallions who loved eachother, after all. She could understand that maybe the prince wasn't into that sort of thing. She did Feel that maybe she could have considered Java's feelings a bit, if someone had given such a intensely negative reaction to the idea of her dating them she might have taken it harshly. "Ah well... I guess it's just my imagination in overdrive again." she said with a soft chuckle.

Pressy's worries about Java's feelings were assuaged as Java dismissed the notion of Blueblood even being a romantic option in an amused manner. It seemed he and Fresco were getting along too. The little purple chiropteran was happily munching on an apple slice he was holding in those paw/claw thingies on his wings; She really should learn what those were called. The little bat seemed perfectly content to continue hanging from Java's hoof for the moment, There was no telling where he was gonna fly next time when he gets the chance.

The continued verbal abuse of her ex was getting a bit annoying to young painter. While she and Merlot had most certainly not parted on the best of terms, she didn't want to be the kind of mare who stops treating their ex with any semblance of common courtesy; She felt talking badly about a pony when they weren't present was a bit uncouth. It could just be her upbringing where she was taught the value of manners in most any social situation but speaking badly about someone when they had no defender just left a bad taste in her mouth, "Okay, enough about my dating record if ya don't mind. Java, Weren't ya askin' about Fressy's coloration a moment ago?" she said, changing the subject with a hint of urgency.

"The business itself is running smoothly. My Ponyville store is still open, but naturally since I'm running the Canterlot store, it's closed while I'm here. I'm not quite that talented to be in two places at once," she giggled. "Love your dress by the way, you look gorgeous in it,"

“That’s awesome , Icy! Next time I’m in Canterlot, maybe I can stop by and help out with the store… maybe ya can pay me with some free samples, eh?” The cream colored painter gave her friend a playful wink. When Ice storm complimented her dress she grinned proudly and posed for a moment for the group, “Thanks! Rarity made for me for the Gala a while back, I need to have it taken out soon though. I’ve grown a bit since I’ve last worn it.” Pointing to the red maned mare who was currently talking to Maud she let out a slight sigh of dissapointment, “I keep tryin’ ta get Rose ta visit her ta get somethin’ like it, but she’s always sayin’ something like…” The freckled unicorn’s expression soon flattened and her eye’s lidded themselves halfway. She ten spoke in listless tone in a slightly lower register in an attempt of impersonating her cousin, “I need to know the diference between clothes I want to wear… and clothes I can wear.” Before returning to her normal peppy expression.

GQp8f8A.jpg

For a moment, the demolition mare thought she could feel her ears burning. Was somepony talking about her behind her back? Rose wasn’t too fond of that, but as usual she didn’t bother to investigate further. Ponies are ponies and ponies are going to gossip, be it about her height or her strength… or her tendency to bust through walls completely by accident; a fate that so far the crystal empires buildings had managed to escape.

In the time that headphones were off, Rose got to hear some of maud’s voice. It was nice to find a pony who talked like her. She could already tell that Maud is about as expressive as rose herself was; that is to say, not at all. She’d heard that the Geologist was very strong from her cousin, so they had so more common ground to. That’s a nice thought.

"Indeed," she said blankly. "Many types of stone can be used in construction, including even gemstones, as this empire makes evident," she observed, looking around. "There is no finer material for building, though rocks have an infinity of other uses and things which makes them interesting."

Rose nodded at Maud’s words, “True, I’ve helped haul a few types of stone to construction sights after My job’s done.” The Mare glanced at her trotmare once more to see if it had finished rewinding the tape inside, “

Stuff like Granite, sandstone, slate, laterite, marble, gneiss, and Quartzite…” Rose could have gone on a little while but she felt it was best she stop the list there, “I feel sort of responsible to help at least a little bit with building stuff that will replace the older buildings.”

Soon the two ponies were approached by a third pony, this one with a rainbow mane who looked vaguely familiar. The next individual to join in was a Diamond dog, Rose blinked slowly at the strange duo who had entered the conversational ring. “Hi…” She said to the both of them before finally putting back on those headphones, the music from them able to be faintly heard by anyone nearby. Looking to the green eyed dog before her she smiled ever so slightly before her face returned to it’s normal expression, “You’re a Diamond dog… I worked with a Diamond dog once while helping make tunnels for a mineshaft. I'm Rose.” even if it only showed for a second, The tall unicorn was indeed showing to be enjoying herself.

Sunrise was focused on the icy mare, designs floating through her mind's eye, but none really working in her opinion. She frowned slightly as she worked, her expression changing multiple times as she imagined dress after dress. Some ponies were harder than others, and this was definitely proving to be a hard one.

She was brought out of her little trance by Glimmer speaking again. Looking over, the fiery mare listened to the actress, smiling at the praise. It was always nice to get complimented on her work, she certainly put effort into it.

"Thank you again, Glimmer. Unfortunately, the company requires me to make outfits that follow the trends, but I like to make outfits for specific ponies, and those are the ones that tend not to follow the fashion trends." Sunrise explained, feeling she should clear up that little tid-bit.

KalimeBannerNew_zps069cf7ee.png

Kalime was quite frankly going to burst! First the Rainbow Pony offered to let her pet that beautiful mane, and did a cool looptey-loop! And then this OTHER pretty pony, introduced herself to Kalime and even told her her NAME! She needed a minute to not look so giddy! Noticing none of the other ponies were grinning like idiots, or acting overly excited, so she should try to fit the atmosphere!

"Kalime would like to very much! Thank you!" She finally said to Rainbow, moving her paw to gently pet the other's mane, it wasn't silky smooth, it felt windblown, and smelled like the sky! Kalime liked it very much "Is very beautiful, like Rainbow Pony..Thank you very much!" She chirped, glancing at the other pony that started talking, she said her name was Rose? And that she had worked with Diamond Dogs in the past! Always good to hear!

"I am Kalime! Is very nice to meet Rose pony, Yes, Kalime is diamond dog, and very glad to hear other dogs help Rose Pony with tunnel, we make very good, solid tunnels so no falling" She nodded assuredly, wanting to be friendly "Is easier if have diamond pick though!"

And finally there was a PONY MADE OUT OF SHINY GEMS TALKING TO KALIME!? Oh my Dogs! There was a pony made out of gems!

Kalime's eyes widened at that and her paws moved once again to her mouth "...K..kalime is Diamond Dog! We from Equestria but we mostly live in camps all over! Kalime is from small camp nearish to town called Ponyville! We dig diamonds and gems and other pretty things! Would Pretty Pony like one too?" She asked, fidgeting in her vest, taking out a smoothed piece of Amethyst and offered it to Tilly .

"Thank you for weloming Kalime to fair! Friend Lady said was good to socialize with...ci.vi.lized soci..e..ty!"

Maud looked at Rainbow Dash as she returned the greeting. "I've seen some nice gemstones today..." she said to answer the pegasus' first question in a way that only she could. She then reached into her pocket and pulled out a small rounded stone.

"Boulder is here with me," she said as she showed the little rock to Rainbow. "As you can see, he is happy and well."

When Rainbow asked how she knew she was looking for Twilight, Maud just moved her head slightly askew. "Like my sister, you are like a coarse grain rock. You can observe the comprising minerals and identify them easily if you know what to look for..."

Maud turned back to Rose as she spoke and nodded ever so slightly. "What is your job?" she asked, genuinely curious. This pony really did interest her, especially when she started listing off varieties of rock.

The pony then spoke to the diamond dog who was there. Muad looked at the dog as well in recognition. "I've met diamond dogs in my line of research too..." she said blankly. "They tend to know a lot about gemstones and have a keener eye for them than ponies do."

"Do you know much about gemstones?" she asked the diamond dog, going right to the point.

Icybanner_zps47801f3d.png

Ice Storm listened and nodded as he explained to her that he didn't care much for sweets in general. He had to maintain a careful diet to maintain his figure. He didn't exactly word it like that, but it was like an open faced book. At least he was nice about it though. What did catch him off guard was when she mentioned that she was still waiting on an assignment from Princess Luna. He said that he didn't remember seeing her there that night, and asked if Luna had taken her in as some sort of student of sorts. "Well, I wouldn't really say that I'm her student. She said something to me that night about being one of her stewardesses, but I don't even know if that job offer still stands or not because I haven't heard anything from her since that night. I'm hoping that it is because I moved back to Canterlot so that I can be prepared for whatever I'm needed for. I still honestly don't know what she saw in me to pick me over anypony else. Especially with only meeting her in person that night. I must have really done something to impress her though, yet I still can not figure out what it was," she told him honestly. She obviously had to be doing something right though, considering that so far she seemed to draw out the better side of Blueblood, and many of the ponies that were around her apparently.

She then overheard Pressy talking about Merlot. Apparently him and her had separated a while back and she heard Blueblood and Java both talk about him before Pressy shut the topic down. She let out a small giggle. "Sounds like I'm not the only one that had dating problems. I've had bit of trouble with them myself. Mainly a stallion that ended up taking advantage of me in a desperate time while he was with another mare. But, life's lessons are learned and we move on. Although I'm still not sure if I'm ready to enter the dating field again, and even to be honest I wouldn't be surprised if I found myself fancying a mare the second time around. I suppose I'll approach that ship when it arrives though," she added her little bit in on it as Pressy moved to talk about her business and her dress.

She told her that next time that she was in Canterlot, she could swing by and help out with the store, and she could just pay her in free samples giving her a small wink. "Aww come on Press! You know I'd treat ya' better than that!" she giggled back at her as she said that Rarity had designed her dress for the gala a while back. She turned to show off hers which was actually very similar in design except hers was crested with jewels that ran their way around the back in each layer. It was the same dress that she had worn numerous times before, to the Not-So-Grand Galloping Gala, The Royal Open House, and The Spellbound Open House, but she couldn't complain. "Rarity made this one as well! This one wasn't designed specifically for me, but I simply loved how it looked and I found that it complimented me so well. Plus she gave me such a great deal on it!" she smiled as she remembered when she got the dress. She had literally just arrived in Ponyville, and was invited to an anniversary party. She couldn't rightfully attend something like that without making her best appearance. She couldn't help but let out another giggle when Press said that she's been trying to get Rose to go see Rarity for a while. "I don't think Rarity would be to happy seeing her work going through a wall all the time," she stated letting out another giggle.

After she finished her small statement with Pressy, she caught another mare that appeared to be looking her over a bit. The mare was another unicorn like herself with an orange coat and an even darker orange mane and tail. She wore a fiery color dress that seemed to accent her own color's quite nicely. She began to wonder what the mare found so intriguing about herself. She didn't think her dress was that spectacular or anything of the like so that couldn't be it. Her mind ran rapid with different possibilities, and judging from her fiery look, she was probably another fire unicorn. Perhaps Fire Heart was right. Perhaps she was just a magnet for all of the elemental pony types. Shoot, even Pressy had some wind magic! Perhaps that was why she caught her attention so easily. It was fairly obvious that she was an Ice Pony herself so that could have a lot to do with it. She figured she'd find out soon enough though. With the mare paying that much attention to her, it was only a matter of time before she came over and introduced herself.

The clouds that had been advancing towards the Empire seemingly stopped just outside of the heart of the city, leaving half of the city in sunlight and the rest in shadow. The edge of the advancing cloudfront roiled in a light brown that covered everything inside, as if the sun was caught within and not allowing the rays to escape to the world beyond. It was a sight equal parts beautiful and puzzling. After all, this was the type of vision one might see at the start of the day but not one you expected to see up close and in such a huge and rolling series of concentrated clouds. It looked anything but natural and everyting that the weather teams would try to avoid making. A few looked up and wondered what they were and still others just marveled at the beauty, but nopony really looked into what it meant. Not that at this stage it would have mattered much. The decisions had already been made and the die cast.

Bright flashes from within like lightning and a booming sound that many misheard as thunder, even as weather pegasi looked at each other in alarm. A pause. Another flash, another boom. Then another. Then two. And then a barrage of sound and lights from within, finally grabbing the attention of those below. Each light struck now with a different hue but hedging towards a series of dark oranges and flashes of incomprehensible blue and white. The sound of booms, cracks, splintering of great wood, and retorts most couldn't place. Some could and guards and other knowledgeable ponies alike started to run about, adding to the confusion on the ground and in the sky. The lights and sounds continued to increase in pace and fury for a few more seconds until it was unending.

And then silence. For a few seconds there was blissful silence, long enough that a few ponies started to look down and wonder just what had been that light and sound show above. It was then that the true nature of the event started to reveal itself. Falling out of the cloudform was a large airship...from the Royal Equestrian Navy. The REN Marelia fell out of the sky in fire, giant pieces of wood falling faster and faster and cracking against buildings down below until the airship itself impacted in the lower city. It was followed by another. The REN Stalliongrad had been broken in half, the bow and stern falling separately. Down below ponies screamed and scrambled.

Then, oars pushed through the edge of the cloud. First the oars and then, broaching the edge of the clouds which started to vanish, the bow...of three viking caribou longships! With tapestries woven from the finest Whitescar materials and multi-colored clan symbol drawn shields on their sides, the longships flew gracefully and powerfully across the sky. A mighty horn blew and then two more joined in, a deep boom that rocketed out across the city and into the hearts and minds of anypony unlucky enough to hear.

The viking caribou were on the attack!

Tick.

Tock.

Tick.

Tock.

Twilight paced in the room, alone with the guard who had pulled her away. She had expected a short and quick diversion before she went back to the party. Instead, she had been pacing in the small room next to the big party for what seemed like an hour. She had asked her guard what the holdup was and received short but polite answers followed by silence. It was unnerving, but what was a mare to do? Sometimes the life of a Princess was full of things she didn't really have an answer for. It was odd nonetheless, but not as odd as that one time the Saddle Arabian ambassador insisted on showing her every foot massage parlor in Manephis.

It was as she started to think back to the weird way her guard was acting. Silent, slouching, eyes always focusing somewhere other than her. She had tried on a few occasions to strike up conversation but he proved utterly incapable or unwilling to do so. The result was a lot of pacing aimlessly...until the attack began. The world outside turned violent suddenly, ships falling of the sky before Twilight's astonished eyes. She was about to go fly out there when she was roughly spinned on her axis and hugged by the guard.

“Wha-”

“Hail Sombra,” he whispered into her ear right before the four dozen diamond batteries packed with explosive magical energy detonated.

The entire antechamber went up in a ball of flame, shooting out of the spire over the city and blowing apart the walls and through the door. What was once a room was now a burning, blackened crater. And where there was once a Princess and a Guard, there was only...smoke...

---

One of the longships arced towards the spire, scattering some balloon parties along the way. As one ship raced towards the ground near the heart and still another released the walking snakes and dropped diamond tipped explosives everywhere, this longship made a beeline for the top part of the Spire...directly for the party. As it approached, it launched several large hooks that roughly brought it into alignment with the balcony. The longship started to close in and now the partygoers could see, if they were still looking after the explosion of the antechamber, dozens of viking caribou banging war axes on shields and a large horn going up...

BRRWWAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH!

A mind-blowingly deep horn bellowed as the ship came to dock, shattering windows and ears along the way. A thin line of guards had started to form in front of the balcony amid the growing chaos, the screaming, the running, the falling, the chaos! Beautiful chaos! The longship came to a stop.

BRRWAAAAAAAAAH!

With one more horn from the deep the vikings leapt off of their ship. Long shagy manes were kept proper through braiding as iron and whitescar wood armor stood in alignment with metal helmets, their long and pointed antlers sticking out of them as they charged. Their huge, burly masses of ripped muscle and sinew as hard as stone moved at breakneck speeds as the thin line of guards tried to hold. A few shot magic and found it ineffective, the thin bolts of power absorbed by the whitescar wood harmlessly. Those who stood their ground were crushed. An axe strike as quick as the wind broke through one guard's armor. One guard tried to parry a sword strike only to have a shield sent directly into his neck. A warhammer strike sent another guard shooting into the ceiling with such force that the guard imprinted and remained so for minutes. By the time he fell, there were no other guards remaining. In a storm of steel the few guards present were overwhelmed in a matter of seconds, no match for the speed, ferocity, or skill of their opponents. The last guard remaining was bucked across the room and out of one of the windows, the wounded pegasus careening far and wide indeed...

BRRRWAAAAAHHHH!

“Aye, stop!” Cried one voice from the back. The caribou stopped and stood at attention as their Captain stepped forward. His coat is dark brown, with a light greyish-brown streak from his throat to his tail along the underside. One antler is longer than the other by a full hoof, the shorter one showing signs of a recent sword fight. Tail and mane fur are braided heavily as is the fashion. His muscles were rippling and defining, and even in his somewhat smaller stature there was no doubting that he could do as he willed. His eyes were a vibrant green- they needed to be to be seen from inside his helmet.

“The Red Jarl has arrived! Huzzah! Huzzah!” The caribou cried in joy. From the depths of the ship, two giant caribou entered dragging behind them a mammoth vault. It fell onto the balcony with such force it broke off just after it was dragged into the Spire's main room. It was pulled along with great effort, tearing apart the ground in its great weight. Just as this was happening, a new batch of guards kicked open the doors...and pointed their spears at the guests, pushing any who wanted to get out away from the door. After they had some distance, one unicorn guard melted the door handle. The assembled guards looked at the guests and then the caribou.

“Hail Sombra, the True King!” They yelled in unison to the chuckles of the caribou.

“The true king better live up to his name in regards to what is inside this vault, or I shall skewer all of you, no matter what W.R.A.I.T.H says,” the red Jarl spoke, his voice guttural at first but with a certain cold precision. He turned to the guests as a few guards and caribou started to pick through the wreckage of the antechamber.

“Ponies! I am here for my payment and to show this so-called Empire what it means to be HUMBLED! If you wish to survive, do as I say. First. I know there are two members of the Equestrian royalty here. I need both. One is Princess, one is Prince. You will open this sealed vault, or my caribou shall exact the blood price for Sombra's betrayal on all of his new citizens!” He finished as the vault was no longer being moved. He tapped two hoof inlays. “This only opens to the Royalty of Equestria, so you better be quick before I find Celestia and Luna and cut their hooves off.”

OOC- The attack continues in a brand new thread located here. If you wish to participate in the attack, please follow there. If you do not wish to participate in the Caribou and Sombra invasion, please ignore this post and continue posting here! Any other questions? Please ask them in the Crystal Faire Announcement thread!

Archived