Style questions

Zealot

Hey folks.

Right, interesting question for the board regarding roleplay style. As I'm sure we're aware there are a lot of different ways of running threads, the most common of which is for the OP to have a character in aforementioned thread to guide the action. Problem is, sometimes the characters might split off on their own or the action becomes far too large or complex for the OP to handle from a single character viewpoint, or even the pressures of roleplaying several characters at a time.

So yes, I've seen people handle complex plotlines by taking on the persona of what is essentially a 'Dungeon Master' with the ability to guide the flow of the plot. The OP states what the players see and handle all the interactions with plot critical characters. In my view this allows them to handle large scenes with ease. It allows the roleplayers to roleplay and the OP to focus on maintaining the world around them without having to worry too much about their own interactions. After all, all of their interactions are done with what are essentially NPCs, and those only need to be one liners to be used as prompts for the roleplayers. It's an interesting style that I've done myself, and I've found it to be quite effective. Even if the OP doesn't do much in the way of roleplaying, they get the fun of managing and watching the plot play out. Sure, you could say that the OP could completely flesh out every character interaction from a viewpoint perspective, but that may end up spoiling the plot or just putting too much pressure on them. After all, roleplaying more than one character at a time is difficult at best.

Anyway, my question. Is this an accepted style, or do CC and WOE threads have to conform to a certain expected standard? If so, what are the policies on NPCs? Do all the NPCs have to be vetted by the staff first to be used even if they're not plot critical? I have a few ideas for threads that would probably have to use this style to work, else I'm not sure how effective they would be.

So yeah, what's the policy?

-Zealot

Personally, i think this kind of D&D (which is kinda what i feel this is based off) RP style would work better in FFA then CC and WoE, but any rp style is allowed as far as i know, so im sure you'd be able to do it, but like lime said, you might have to app all the NPC's you were plannign on using if they were a big part.

Another option would be to maybe get your friends help. Maybe ask them if you could get them to write a post with their char with the idea you need, then you put it in your post. That way, the char stays true to his own personality, and you dont have to app like, 20 OC's (depending). Would this even be allowed? I dont know, but, its a idea.

and if you want to do this style you need to convey this to the people in your threads,

Well yeah, that would be made apparent when I did an interest check. Hehe.

Personally, i think this kind of D&D (which is kinda what i feel this is based off) RP style would work better in FFA then CC and WoE, but any rp style is allowed as far as i know, so im sure you'd be able to do it, but like lime said, you might have to app all the NPC's you were plannign on using if they were a big part.

Yeah I've seen people do the style, and as I say I've done one or two myself, and it is pretty much a more freeform and creative D&D without the need for a session essentially. Also without the ruleset to bog down interactions. It just helps if you're running an adventure roleplay as opposed to the slice of life stuff that is the more traditional roleplay. It would probably work better with FFA, but I don't really want to do it in FFA.

But yeah if I have to make a character application for every NPC... Far too much work for one-shot characters. I don't even want to think about how long it would take to get all of those approved. *tosses roleplay idea in the bin*

Ahh well, would still like to know the official line.

Actually, we don't really have problem with using NPCs in threads so long as they actually are treated as NPCs and not unapped player characters (though if you have an NPC in a thread you really like and want to do more with, you are free to app them and make them a player character).

As for play styles, yeah, you're free to do as you like there. Get creative. We encourage it. If you're doing something different, just make sure that everything is clearly explained in the thread's OOC if there is one, or at the start of the thread itself if there isn't.

Actually, we don't really have problem with using NPCs in threads so long as they actually are treated as NPCs and not unapped player characters (though if you have an NPC in a thread you really like and want to do more with, you are free to app them and make them a player character).

As for play styles, yeah, you're free to do as you like there. Get creative. We encourage it. If you're doing something different, just make sure that everything is clearly explained in the thread's OOC if there is one, or at the start of the thread itself if there isn't.

Huh... *gingerly takes roleplay idea out of the bin*

Well that's not quite the line I was expecting. Indeed, a pleasant surprise. Yes, if I was going to use this style it would be fully explained first along with a few examples of what to expect.

As for NPCs, yeah. Depends on the definition of NPCs really... While they would all be crucial to the plot their interactions wouldn't be nearly along the lines of what to expect from a player character. Pretty much 'this character does this and says this' one liner stuff. Prompts to stimulate roleplay rather than engage in it and to further the plot, and the characters themselves would only be fleshed out to the extent of things that are roleplay relevant. The actual idea was a clone of an old mystery RP I ran and if I remember interacting with the NPCs was key to solving the mystery. But like I said, they wouldn't really be treated as full characters. But yeah, does that sound acceptable? I'd hate to be overstepping my bounds or whatnot.

I think that sounds perfectly fine and like it could be a pretty fun idea.

Alright, well. Question answered then.

Guess I'll dig out my old notes. Be nice to see if I could finish the mystery roleplay I had in mind, we got part way through when life caught up with everyone.

Thank you. :)

Huh... *gingerly takes roleplay idea out of the bin*

Well that's not quite the line I was expecting. Indeed, a pleasant surprise. Yes, if I was going to use this style it would be fully explained first along with a few examples of what to expect.

As for NPCs, yeah. Depends on the definition of NPCs really... While they would all be crucial to the plot their interactions wouldn't be nearly along the lines of what to expect from a player character. Pretty much 'this character does this and says this' one liner stuff. Prompts to stimulate roleplay rather than engage in it and to further the plot, and the characters themselves would only be fleshed out to the extent of things that are roleplay relevant. The actual idea was a clone of an old mystery RP I ran and if I remember interacting with the NPCs was key to solving the mystery. But like I said, they wouldn't really be treated as full characters. But yeah, does that sound acceptable? I'd hate to be overstepping my bounds or whatnot.

I actually tried launching an RP similar to that but binned the RP after a while because of life complications and losing some members of the RP. So long as the NPCs don't act as individuals, it should be fine.

Archived