Night of the Comet (open/all)

Boss_Hoss1

Hoss flapped his wings, this time following the lead of the famous mare as she took the cart higher and in a wide sweep around the town, then came in closer to the clock tower.

Hoss neighed "Great handling! Great Job Miss LaMare"

He looked behind him to their passenger as she enjoyed herself "I wish all my passengers were this happy to fly."

after a quick check forward, he looked back again "How are you doing, Granny Smith?" then kept an eye forward, moving as needed.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Thanks, Hoss," Louise said as she continued flying with him. "Granny Smith is such a sweet old lady."

"I'm havin' a ball, youngin'!" Granny Smith shouted, waving her front hooves in the air as she cheered. Soon, the flying cart circled the town once more before they did a quick fly by over the apple orchard. Granny cheered and waved as a herd of buffalo rushed by, after receiving this week's allotment of hot apple pies from the Apploosa residents. "Is my eyes deceivin' me, or all them big shaggy critters wearin' apple pie hats down thar?"

Hoss did a double take and stared at the buffalo. They actually had apple pies on their heads "What the hay?! What's going on down there, Miss LaMare?"

(OOC: the twins are a bit fuzzy on the specifics of what happened when the buffalo invaded, even if we the players know full well ;)

Meanwhile Shanna exited the room and came down, surprised at the crowd. She trotted over to the owner "So is it usually this busy?"

Madam Bistro giggled "Oh Granny Smith of Ponyville came on the train, and apparently all her kin in the area who can has shown up to meet her."

Shanna gasped "Oh my! Granny Smith? That is a surprise!"

"I read all about this, guys," Louise began to explain as she continued flapping her wings. "This is all about the special agreement that ended the Apploosa-Buffalo Incident many months ago. It was a land dispute where the settler ponies planted their town's Apple Orchard on Buffalo land. Chief Thunderhooves demanded the orchard be moved while the Sheriff stood firm that it should stay. After a small skirmish, the Chief proposed a compromise that allowed the orchard to stay in exchange for a stampeding trail through it, and for apple pies! What you two are seeing below is one of the days the buffalo come to collect their 'payment.'

"So, them ain't hats, them's REAL pies?'"

"That's right, Granny Smith!'

Back at Madam Bistro's, when she mentioned the name of Granny Smith to Shanna, all of the waiting Apple family cousins still in the dining room stood at attention and those with cowboy hats took them off in salute.

Hoss shook his head in amazement as he follows Miss LaMare's lead
"That's one of the stranger things I have seen recently. what other surpises does this town have besides Buffalo peace pies?"

Back at Madam Bistro's, Shanna looked around in surprise
"Oh wow! She has a big family doesnt she? Hello eveypony! I'm sometimes on the weather team that waters Sweet Apple Acres."

Madam Bistro smiled
"She does indeed. I hope I'm that spry and feisty when Im that old."

"No other surprises than your typical Pioneer pony town," Louise said with a giggle. "There's the occasional wild animal that runs loose in town or the kitten up a tree or some of the foals getting into mischief, but other than that, just your ordinary kind of town."

As the 'air chariot' flies over the Salt Block, a pioneer pony with a pick axe cutie mark is tossed outside as the mustached pony inside shouts out, "NO MORE SALT FOR YOU!"

"Is that thar a typical thing to happen in this ordinary town?" Granny Smith asked.

"For him it is, Granny!"

Back inside Madam Bistro's, the announcement that Shanna was a weather pony that worked for the area brought about all the Apple relatives in the dining room up to introduce themselves and shake her hoof. Then up walked Sheriff Silverstar.

"I see ya got yur seista all done, Miss Shanna! You looked plump tuckered out when yur brother brought ya here."

The bay pegasus flew along, looking at the town as avidly as Granny Smith. "This is a surprisingly sophisticated little town for all it tries to be simple. I bet the skies are crystal clear every night too. This is going to be a great night to watch the comet."

Meanwhile, Shanna blinked in pleasent surprise as the Apple family memebers introduced themselves because she sometimes delivered weather to Granny Smith. "Well, I am glad to meet you all. Hopefully I will visit more often if Cloudsdale can expand the Weather Patrol service out here more reliably."

She turned to see the Sherrif. "Yes, thank you, I am just terrible at dealing with high heat like that. It just drained me. My brother has the same trouble with sudden deep cold. ..By the way, how bad do winters get around here?"

"I'ma havin' a ball, y'all!" Granny Smith neighed. "But I reckon we best be headin' back to the hotel! All my kinfolk's awaitin' fer me thar!"

"You heard the lady, Hoss, we need to turn and land nice and gentle," Louise LaMare neighed

Meanwhile, back at Madam Bistro's place.

"To answer yur question, Miss Shanna, winter hasn't been too bad here. Course, we've only been here for over a year, so we jist have last year to compare with. And Last year, winter wasn't so bad.

Hoss nodded and worked to match Louise in the turn as the cart banked carefully and slowed down to a hover, slowly coming down vertically in front of Madam Bistro's. "And here we are. I hope you enjoyed your ride, Granny Smith."

Hoss unhitched himself and came around the cart to help Granny Smith out.

Shanna rubbed her chin in thought. "We'll see how the weather does if we need to do more observations from here at tht time then, thanks Sherrif Silverstar." The mare looked out to see her twin return with the cart and Louise. "Oh! There's Hoss! I'd better see he gets some rest too. I dont want him falling asleep during the Comet Watch tonight..."

Madam Bistro giggled "Well if he doesnt go to sleep, I have plenty of my "Midnight Watch" brew I make for the train crews. You two can take some with you tonight."

Shanna smiles "Awesome! Thanks Madam Bistro!"

"YEE HAW! That was fun!" Granny Smith shouted as Hoss helped the elderly lime green mare down from the cart. "I'ma gonna have to do that agin' sometime!"

"It was our pleasure, Granny Smith," Louise LaMare said humbly after unhitching herself from the cart. Someone inside the Bistro shouted, "GRANNY'S BACK!" causing the waiting Apple family relatives to parade out the door and out to the street to greet her.

"You youngin' orta try cart flyin' like I did! It's the cat's pajamas!" she said as the group led her back inside.

"Glad ya had a good time, Miss Smith," Sheriff Silverstar said. "As fer me, I'ma keepin' my hooves on the ground fer now on!"

"Oh, now git into the spirit of things, ya tenderhoof!" Granny Smith neighed.

Shanna trotted out into the street "Hi Granny Smith! Hoss, go right upstairs and take a nap. I dont want you falling asleep at the camera."

Hoss yawned and nodded "Right, right. I'm on my way, sis."

She turned to Louise "Didnt I see you earlier? I'm sorry, I was pretty out of it earlier. I got overheated there."

Meanwhile, Madam Bistro saw Hoss trotting in, "I would say you are looking a tad tired there, Mr. Skybright. Feel free to wash up before you take a rest."

He nodded and started up the stairs "Thanks Madam Bistro."

"Howdy thar, young lady!" Granny Smith neighed. "Jist had me the ride of my life! Soarin' through the sky, flyin' high up above this lovely town! I am sure glad I made the trip out west!"

"And we're mighty honored ya came too, Miss Smith," Sheriff Silverstar said as he removed his hat and bowed his head at the Apple family matriarch.

"We certainly are, Granny Smith," added Lousie LaMare.

"Say Sheriff, when the next Mild West dance supposed ta be? I wanna boogie!"

"Think they maybe have'n one of those later on today."

"Yipee! I love hoof'n it! Well, slow dancin' anyway...."

Shanna smiled "So am I! I'm glad you had such a great time in our cart, Granny Smith. There's going to be a great show in the sky tonight, a comet! If you are still awake after dark, be sure not to miss it. It should be at it's brightest around 11pm."

She looked at Sherrif Silverstar and Louise LaMare "Umm did Hoss already mention all that to you?"

Meanwhile, Hoss washed up from the rooms sink and dried off before climbing into his bed. "I really shouldnt have to take a nap, after all I'm an adult now and I can surely pull an all-nighter withou..... ZZZzzzzZZzzzz...."

"Comet?" Granny Smith asked. "Y'all's got a comet comin' here? You folks here in Appleoosa got all kind of things a-goin' on fer us tourists!"

"Uh, Granny, I don't think the comet is something the town created ..." Louise stopped in mid-sentence when Sheriff Silverstar shook his head 'no' out of Granny's line of sight.

"That's right, Granny. That thar comet's gonna be comin' here tonight!"

"Lands sakes! If'n I wanna be awake to see that thing, I best git me a nap!" the elderly lime green mare said as she began to climb the stairs. She was moving so slow that some of the waiting Apple family relatives rushed over and helped her reach the top of the stairs. "Thanks youngin's! I plan on wakin' up bout an hour before sunset so comin' git me, ok?"

The group neighed happily before dashing off.

"Wow! They sure move fast!"

"Sure do! After all, they're all Apples, right?"

Shanna covered her mouth with a black wingtip to keep from giggling as Granny Smith thought the Glitter Comet was a town event.

She watched and nodded as the Sherrif kept Louise LaMare from correcting the older mare.

Shanna smiled as she saw Granny carried up the stairs after a slow start "Well, now that I'm up, I am hungry. Would anypony care to join me for lunch since Hoss is catching up on his sleep?"

Madam Bistro nodded to Thorn,who ran a menu over to the bay pegsus mare as she sat down. "Oh my that's service! I'll have the cony soydog special, with extra hayfries, please!"

"That's a dandy idear, Miss Bistro!" Sheriff Silverstar cheered. "What do ya say, Miss LaMare?"

"That sounds wonderful," the brown Pegasus mare said. "I'm a bit hungry myself after all that flying."

"Good deal! I think I'll have that special! Sounds mighty good to me!"

"I'll have the same, Madam Bistro."

The three find an open table to sit at as most of the Apple relatives leave once they made sure Granny Smith was safe and sound in her room. The upper part of the establishment shook slighty to the thunderous sounds of the elderly green mare snoring.

• 2 weeks later...

Shanna looked around, enjoying herself as she waited for the meal to arrive.

"This is a really nice place, it's a lot like the other places she owns but it's nice to see how it merges with the local style. Does everypony do that when they move in, trying to match the town?"

She looked at the Sherrif and Louise LaMare. "Has my brother already invited you to watch the comet? I am sure it's going to be the best sky show this region has had in ages."

"He sure did, Miss Shanna," the Sheriff said.

"Watching a comet sounds exciting to me!" Louise neighed. "Perhaps I can bring my sketchbook so I can draw the comet myself! Perhaps I could use it as an illustration in my next novel!"

"Wow Miss LaMare, I didn't know you could do art too!"

"I'm a mare of many talents, Sheriff," the brown Pegasus mare giggled as the snoring coming from upstairs got louder.

"Sure hope I won't have to arrest that sweet old lady fer disturbin' the peace."

• 4 weeks later...

Shanna's eyes lit up at a sudden thought.

She fished around in her saddlebag for a moment and brought out an old notebook.

"It's too bad we didnt have a camera setup back then, but this is what my mother sketched on the trip to the zebra lands when we all went to see several celestial events, including a little surprise event. She called it the zebrid comet..."

She opens the book to several pages of sketches in pastels and pencils of a white comet with purple streaks running the length of the tail like stripes...

"Hay, let me see," Louise neighed as she turned to examine the sketch. "WOW! This sketch is amazing! You are very talented!"

"I'll say she is!" added Sheriff Silverstar as he got a look at the sketch. "That thar's downright purty it is! A Zebrid comet, ya say that called?"

"Is that the comet that you and your brother are tracking?"

"No wonder you two's so anxious to set your equipment up here," the Sheriff said as Granny Smith's snoring continued. "That's it! Somepony's gonna have to wake her up! Sweet old lady ur not, I can barely hear myself think over all that snorin'!"

"Dat be mein sister I hear, ja?" an elderly bearded stallion dressed in green wearing a German hat said as he walked slowly into the Bistro.

"And who are YOU, mister?"

"Vhy, I'm Apple Strudel, Granny Smith brother! I came to dis town on dee later train. If I know mein snoring, dat is mein sister upstairs!"

"You're right, sir! Pleased to meet you!"

"Please fraulein, all mein family call me Uncle Apple Strudel, or Uncle Apple for short. I vill vake mein sister up! Vatch und learn!"

Uncle Apple Strudel began to yodel, loud and off-key. This caused a response from upstairs.

"Hi brother! That thar caterwallin' of yurs could wake the dead!" Granny Smith shouted as she walked downstairs to give her brother a warm hug.

Shanna blushed and giggled "Oh my mother did this one of the Zebrid Comet. I brought her sketchbook for reference. I can do just as well now but thank you for the compliments of her work. Tonights Comet appears once a century and will be bright and shiny, and trail gem-like sparkles..."

Shanna blinked as the elderly stallion came into the room. "Oh! Wow! I did not know the apple family had so many branches! Pleased to meet you sir."

The pegasus mare eeped and covered her ears with her wings when Apple Strudel yodled off-key.

Just after Granny Smith came down, there was frantic whinnying and Hoss tumbled down the stairs tangled in a blanket "Ahhh Tornado! Buffalo attack! Hydras!"

Shanna trotted over to help him untangle and wake up. "Ugh! I heard a horrible sound like that last tornado we unspun. I must have had a daymare."

Shanna blushed and ahehed "Ummm well... By the way brother, Granny Smith's brother arrived, the yodeler..." she elbowed him with her wing.

"Lands sakes young feller!" Granny shouted. "Are you alright?"

"Ja friend," added Apple Strudel, "vhen you rolled down dee stairs, I tink you got a nasty ka-knock on your head!"

"Oh dear!" Louise neighed as she rushed up to Hoss. "Maybe we should call for the doctor."

"If'n I know ol' Doc Holly Day, he's probably out front of the General Store playin' checkers," Sheriff Silverstar giggled. "I kin go get'm if we need'm."

"Und vile vee are vaitin' on him, I could get mein tuba und play some um-pa-pa music, ja?"

"I don't think that'd be a good idea, Uncle Apple."

"You are right, fraulein! I vill yodel some more, dat vill make everypony feel better!"

"No need fer that, brother. If'n the young whipper-snapper's got a headache, that won't help it!"

"Whew.. er.. I mean, you're right, Granny Smith," Louise said with a toothy grin, hoping the elderly stallion in green didn't notice what she almost said.

Hoss groaned dizzily as Shanna and Louise helped him to the nearest seat.

His eyes were derping in a dizzy manner as he rubbed a bump on his head. "Y-yeah, a doctor would be a good idea... Dont' wanna' miss t'night..."

Shanna waved Thorn over "Please get my brother some water."

When the donkey ran for a glass, she nodded agreement with Louise "I think he has a hydra sized headache all right. I dont think music would be a good idea.. um, should I call you Uncle Apple too?"

"Ja young donkey!" Apple Strudel said with a big grin.

"Y'all keep'm still till I git Doc Holly Day!" Sheriff Silverstar neighed as he reared up and galloped outside. In front of the General Store a gray furred red maned unicorn sat across the table from a blue stallion with a pick-axe cutie mark, examining the checker board of the game they were playing.

"C'mon Doc, make a move! I gotcha beat this time!" he cackled as Doc Holly Day adjusted his glasses and gave a gentle tug on his red mustache.

"Ain't got me yet, Pete," the unicorn gumbled just as the Sheriff galloped up to them,

"Doc! We need ya over at Madam Bistro's quick! A stallion came bouncin' down the stairs on his head!"

"That could be serious! I best git over thar fast!"

"But our game ain't finished!" Pete neighed just before the red maned unicorn moved his hoof up to the board and performed a triple jump with his checker piece.

"It's finished NOW, Pick-Axe Pete! Do me a favor and don't spend too long at the Salt Block tonight. Ya know ya can't handle yur salt all that well."

"I'll beatcha next time, Doc!" Pete yelled, shaking his hoof in the air as the Sheriff and Doctor galloped away.

"Oh, I hope the doctor comes soon," Louise said with a worried look on her face just as the two galloping stallions entered the room. With his black bag floating next to him, Doc Holly Day rushed over to Hoss and began to examine him.

"Now hold still, youngin', need to get a good look at the contusion."

"At the what?"

"At the bump on his head," the red maned unicorn said as he continued to look at Hoss's head. "Hmmmmm. The first thing this young stallion needs is an ice pack. That will help reduce the swelling. From what I can see, there doesn't seem to be any lingering damage. I can give ya somethin' fer the pain if ya like."

"That thar feller seems to know his stuff!" added Granny Smith.

"Ja! But I vonder vhy dat guy took such a stumble down dee stairs in dee first place? Oh vell, maybe he had a bad dream."

Hoss' eyes were still derping when the unicorn doctor arrived.

Shanna fretted and trotted in pace, worried for her brother "Oh hurry Doctor!

She peered over his shoulder as he examined Hoss, then turned to Thorn "We need an ice bag please, hurry!"

Thorn nodded and went to work with the magic ice box by the ice cream machine and hurried over with a new ice bag of rubberized canvas filled with fresh ice. "We always keep such things handy for the health needs of our guests, compliments of the house."

Hoss closed one eye and peered at the unicorn "Yes please, that would be great. I have a camera to run tonight."

Shanna stood nearby, and rolled her eyes just out of Apple Strudel's view when the elderly stallion wondered what scared Hoss out of bed...