Sepulchers and New Paths (Closed)

Ciraxis

"Positive huh?" Squall mused. It's true, he was a pony who often had doom and gloom on his mind - even if only to fight them. Does besides his family, friends and dear Fire he really had any positive thoughts? After a second he realized that yes, yes he did.

"You know sweetie. I was thinking for some time....about the city." said noblepony while turning towards the sole window that the library had. While now covered by curtain like all others Swift knew well what sight was beyond it.

"Fillydelphia had eight Founding Families....and only Squallcoast's remain. And even then there wasn't one of our family in the city for the last three hundred years until I moved in. And yes I..." unicorn lampshaded the irony of the situation before trailing off.

"Alright. Look Fire, maybe being the count of the Filly doesn't mean much anymore. Maybe I am just a kind of...mascot rich-boy that returned home after long absence. But regardless off that I can't help but feel a tug of....something." he confessed.

"I know that I don't own this place anything besides history. And yet...there is something that I feel. I wouldn't call it responsibility. Nor the community. I think...I think it's the sense of duty, and obligation to be here and help when needed. That and a tinge of regret.  Because I am the Lord of the Fillydelphia. And we - Squallcoast's - should be here earlier." Swift felt silent for a minute before continuing.

"I said regret didn't I? You see....Filly is a great place Moto. Something that you soon enough will find out but...but it's overshadowed for so long already. Especially as coastal city.  And I wish to challenge that state of things."

noblepony turned towards Fire while rising one of his hooves in defensive gesture.

"Don't get me wrong Moto. I still very much love the Big Orange. I was born there, raised there and I am Manehattanite through and through. But now my home belongs here - both by choice and legacy - and I wish not for Fillydelphia to become one-gimmick city. Or worse another Griffonstone." Squall grimaced slightly at the mention of that place.

"That why I am trying to understand, why my fellow Fillydelphians are so bent to obviate any initiatives for change. And this city needs change Fire, of that I am certain. But so far I can't understand it at all. Do they want to have their home be known only as Equestria Granary now and forever?" Swift tried to make his voice sound lenient, but it was claear there was lot's of frustration under all of that. He begund to stride next to table back and forth, while gesticulating with his hooves.

"It's not like I don't understand tradition Moto. Look where I live. Look at me! I am a living reminder of past things and ages, a modern knight-errant we could say.. But I also understand that traditions are born out of need. Sometimes need passes and tradition remains, as a reminder. But when that remainder becomes impediment it should be discarded, with little hesitation." stallion expressed. It was clear that he gave a lot of thought to  that issue.

"I want this city to shine Fire! Not in the same was as Manehattan, Canterlot - no need for copycats - but in it's own unique way! So others would say 'Yeah, only in Filly you can find that!' or 'I had great time in there, you have to see it!.'. Allow it to be known by more then just....just farmers and fields! To show you can put new and old and make it WORK!"

Squall declared. But after that determined sounding speech, swordpony seemed to deflate a little.

"The thing is Fire, I don't have and idea or plan Moto. And even if I would how could I convince other Fillydelphians? City of Sisterly Love needs change but could others see it? I have resources to make anything, but ironically, nothing beyond that." Swift gave heavy sight before turning his face back to crimson mare.

"I hope that these....ventures and travels that are before me would give me some ideas. Maybe start company or two? Or shot for city Mayor? I need allies too. Someponies...and nonponies I guess, with big brains and know-how who would help me, and show how to make things work." he mumbled while rubbing his temple.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

USG3AI7.png?1

"Yep!", the mare seemed rather pleased with herself, "Positive. Always look on the bright side of life."

And look on the bright side her stallion did.

Via a rather lengthy speech.

Did he have this planned before-hoof?

She tried her best to eek out something when the unicorn mentioned the city's place in Equestria. "Well, Fillydelphia broke the tornado windspeed record not that long ago, and it's considered one of the more modern cities."

A few more good things to say about the city?

"It also hosted the previous-previous Equestria Games. Which I did attend with my family as a filly.", she grinned back at Swift.  "And  being a modern city, maybe the whole 'Count' thing is a bit..erm.", she tried to think of a nice word that did not involve vampires,"Old Timey. And you'd make a good Mayor, but this whole 'dead' thing....Ehhhh..", she shrugged her shoulders, "Might make things difficult for once you decided to start running..."

• 4 weeks later...

"Oh yes, that...." Squall murmured when Fire mentioned Equestria Games. Even through some time has passed, noblepony was still a little peeved that he wasn't able to compete during the last one in Crystal Empire. And when he finally managed to get there....well there was much irony how events could turn up. But Squall put aside such thought and instead politely deconstructed Fillydelphia 'high points'.

"You see Moto, record breaking and sport competition are nice. But they don't run the city. Actually do you know that organizing Games put Filly in a debt for two years? Logistic, urban planning, creating employment opportunities, healthcare. Those are the things I want to improve. Those are the things I would have to work for if I end being in the office. Ponies here are already happy - but city is in statist. I want for Filly to BOTH have the happy citizens and to set a new standards for living conditions, and be famous for it. No matter how hard you polish an amber, things inside it won't change."

Squall paused for a moment to refill Fire's glass of juice.

"And don't think I am not prepared for my return Moto. I don't leave such things to a chance, Necessary documents are already made and locked in a place only I know about. Reason for my disappearance as well. Essentially I am to be an important witness against organized crime, made officially dead for my own safety until the right time. So I guess it would be admitted that that funeral was a farce, but at the same time giving a false reason for it. Hiding a lie inside honesty. Ironic isn't it?"

Squall sent Fire a smile but it was clear there was no joy in it. After a few more seconds unicorn gave a weary sigh.

"I becoming too good with this thing. I wonder how Celestia put's up with all of this? Having to use 'smokes and mirrors' half-truths and sometimes straight lies. And she did this for ages, all for good of the realm. I don't thing I would be able to withstand all of this in her place. Months behind me already feel like centuries. I fear that centuries themselves I wouldn't be able to endure. She needs a vacation. And a long one at that." he paused for a moment before deciding "After all of this we need a vacation."

• 1 month later...
USG3AI7.png?1

"That's generally the case with cities that have the games. Sometimes they make it all back. Sometimes.", the mare said with a shrug, "Still not sure why Cloudsdale  would want the Equestria Games considering the majority of ponies couldn't really move about up there without help.", she took a sip from her freshly filled glass and listened to the stallion for a bit longer. "That's the whole balancing game. Ponies don't want to pay high taxes, but they also want the good things taxes provide us with." Swift had a bit of an uphill battle. Even with all of the 'events' that had happened over the last two years, things were still riding high for Equestria and ponies were generally very happy. Equestria was the envy of the rest of the world. Equestrians had their beloved princesses and heroes. Fire Walker's colt-friend would have to convince Fillydelphia that he could do better than the current administration.

"Somepony likes Princess Celestia probably has the best of the best when it comes to magical whozits and whatzits to keep her entertained.", the mare mused, "I remember hearing stories when I was a filly about her 'secret magic room' which is supposed to be hidden beneath the castle. Powerful devices that would allow its user to transport themselves to other worlds or even dimensions. Imagine that." When vacation ideas popped up, the mare's smile broadened, "Gallopocus Islands. It's the home of the 'no-drama-islands'.", Fire proudly stated, "You just go out and enjoy the sun, sand and best drinks in the world. And unlike another beach we stayed at, we wouldn't have to deal with large creatures throwing old shipwrecks at us." What a day that was...But one thing had been bugging her lately. Whatever happened to Razor the griffon?

• 5 months later...

"Cloudsdale and Games...Hah, that would be logistical nightmare. You had a good point about enchanting, two-thirds of the participants and spectators just so the could get there. And  that's just a tip of an iceberg" Squall mused "No matter what, you would HAVE to build some facilities on ground....Which can be a little problematic seeing that 'dale hovers over Nibus Lakes.. And so on, and so on...." unicorn waved his hoof, almost knocking his own, juice filled glass.

"Oh, you mean they wait for some sucker who would pay for such things then?" he asked, before she could answer however Squall gave a deep sigh "That sucker would have to be me doesn't it?" unicorn said with acceptance. He pondered a little before adding "Perhaps Fillydelphia doesn't need a new mayor. Maybe what ponies need is someone who would jump start an economic boom....?" he wondered aloud. Unconsciously, unicorn stood up and walked around the table, before sitting beside his love. "Improving lives of ponies in Fillydelphia....by rising overall wealth of Equestria society? Never though about that..."

"Secret magic rooms? Naah, you pulling my tail, no way. Things like these doesn't happen." Squall said with playful sarcasm. After all, he was one to talk with the whole 'Squall-cave beneath the mansion.

The playfulness didn't lasted long however. The awareness of the passing times soon crept back in.

"I will have to go soon." Swift said seriously.

"Can we....cuddle some more? So I can better remember your warmth, sound of your breath, smell of your mane, when I will be away. And then...after all will be over...." unicorn said as he nuzzled her.

"On the golden beach, we will run like the wind. With our laughter echoing, under cerulean skies." Squall promised.

• 3 weeks later...
USG3AI7.png?1

“And don’t forget one thing.”, the mare added, “They throw an magic-disabling spell on just about anypony that is there, so the only way non-Pegasi could be up there is by balloon or airship. And I've heard Ponyville pop up in a few discussions for the next Equestria Games, and we've seen it first hoof, they have like one whole hotel and it was tiny.", she was ready to catch the cup. Thankfully it did not fall over. "And while we're thinking about Clouds....dale.", she asked, "Are you able to cast an cloud-walk spell? If so, there's something we're going to need to need to try one of these days. Something generally open only to Pegasus ponies...And those who can fly or trot on clouds via magic.", a sly smile fell upon the mare's face as she pondered this.

"And nope.", she gave her stallion a playfully 'boop' on the snout, "A leader would convince others to move into his city. Bring new jobs, new technologies and magic. Ponies with new skills would move in. Those who were already a resident would be confident in the future and would be more inclined to stick around and spend their hard earned bits. And magic....Little Wind told me there's a 'skipping song' about some foolish mare that was once Princess Celestia's top student. She got her hooves on magic that was a bit out of her skill rage and ended up getting sucked into a horrible dimension and suffered a horrible fate, or at least one that lended itself to a good rhyme." And they did have a room in most proper R.E.A offices that held magical items confiscated by those who wished to do unwell upon the masses. "Oddly enough, I encountered a rather sketchy  shopkeeper on one of my little adventures about a year or so ago. I later found out that he sold something called an 'Alicorn amulet' to some crazy mare who enslaved Ponyville for like a day or so. Image having the power of an Alicorn?"

Fire Walker got about as close to the stallion as she could possibly be. "There's only one correct answer when a cuddle is called. And that's one big a'yup..."

• 1 month later...

Before either of them could know it, they once more slipped into  a welcoming embrace of sleep.

Fire awoke a few hours later...and the first thing she could notice was the empty space beside her on the couch. Squall was gone.

Before she could process what occurred during her slumber, the door to library suddenly opened and Oak Branch walked inside with a tea.

"Good morning Mistress Fire. I hope you slept well?" he asked while putting teaware on the table. Without further ado he begun to prepare refreshing beverage, his moves precise and sure - something that could only come from years of experience.

"Master Squall already left during your slumber Mistress Fire. He however left a note for yours eyes only." butler informed pegasus mare, while passing envelope to her.

And the message inside.....

My Fire.....

I am sorry that I left without goodbye. But the truth is, I was afraid. Afraid that upon seeing the luster of your eyes, hearing the sound of your voice, I wouldn't be able to muster the will to leave and do what I need to do.

Alas, our wishes and desires have to be laid aside no matter how much we would wish otherwise. I am the stallion the belongs to the fury of magic and steel, and I fear that now I and others like me may have be more needed then ever in the last thousand years. I can only hope the Mares chosen by Elements, and the Princesses will find other ways to deal with our problems, so I can return to your side as swiftly as possible. I may have been a stallion of battle, but from you I have learned patience, tolerance, and faith.Moto, I now believe as you do, that peace is the noblest aspiration.

But I also know, that to preserve it, you must be willing to fight. There will be many struggles before us, but I know that we will come from them victorious, and will see each other soon.

Whatever I may be--whatever I may become in this world--know that I will always look out for you, Fire.

Yours only - Squall.

“Erm.”, the red mare slowly rubbed her eyes as she awoke from her little catnap. She could not help it. She was just so dang cozy, the red Pegasus pony just had to shuffle off to Princess Luna’s secret kingdom. “I gotta say something Swifty, this is one comfy couch.  I wish I had something like...oh.” It took her a moment to realize that she was talking to herself, or at least the butler.

“Thank you Mister Oak Branch. I must have dozed off.....”, she quickly shifted into a more ladylike position on the couch as the tea was prepared. After thanking the butler once more, she started to reach for the sugar, but Swift Squall’s stallion-servant already knew exactly how she liked. it. Fire Walker smiled as the butler left the room to allow her to enjoy the tea and read the letter in peace.

“Good gravy.”, he had wonderful penponship! This was practically art you could hang up on the wall. Maybe the next time she meets either Princess Cadance or Princess Twilight, she could see how they managed to ascend into Alicorn-ship. Being able to use magic to write would be far easier and a good deal better looking than using one’s teeth!

After a few sips from her cup, she started to read. “Ho-Boy.”, she gasped as the first few bits of the letter were read. This was the kind of stuff, her theater enthusiast of a brother, Moon Walker would have acted out in some old play. Very dramatic, but he was pouring his heart out here. The mare let out a sigh as she finished the letter. “I hope you know what you’re doing Swifty.”, she whispered to herself.  She pondered her beloved’s quest as she finished off her tea. The brave unicorn was not the only one that had a job to do. She also had work to do and she needed to be brave. The young officer  would take a hot bath, get back into her uniform and then it would be her time to shine!

But first.....there was still enough hot water for a second cup of tea. Would not want to let the leaves to go to waste....

Spoiler

OOC: Eh. Like penmanship. But with ponies! And YESH! We did this whole thing for an RP that never got off the ground.

Archived