Official Discussion Thread - S05E1-2 Cutie Map

the_hypening_by_gray__day-d8o7xgv.png
All Aboard the Hype Train!!

It's time, it's time, the long wait is over, after eleven months the fifth season is finally here!  Who is the new villain?  What mischief is she causing?  How will the mane six handle it?  Well this is what we are here to discuss.  The episode airs Saturday 11:00 AM EST on April 4th.

This thread is dedicated to discussing the episode before, during, and afterwards.  As the thread is now open it may indeed contain spoilers.  I ask that potential spoilers talked about or shown before the episode airs stay within the spoiler tags please, after the episode you no longer have to use the spoiler tags, but warning, if you haven't seen the episode yet after it airs, this thread no doubt will have all sorts of spoilers in reviews, images, etc. So tread at your own risk.

Most importantly, have fun and let the hype begin!!   :Rarity:  :AJ:  :Flutter:  :RDash:  :Pinkie:  :) 

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

SPOILER-RIFIC

oh man, this was FANTASTIC!

I'm so glad it was a little adventure...I like the more philosophical episodes to the mammoth adventure ones.

Also, the fact that the mane 6 empowered the other ponies, but then were unable to save themselves was very interesting.  The ending, where their new friends were the final heroes was wonderful!  Have we ever seen that?  It seems like every episode leaves one of the main characters as the hero.

Very interesting, they all decided to stay?!

Where did they come from?  It seems that they are excited to start fresh though.  I wonder how they got there in the first place?  Were they all orphans, or adrift, or lonely to start?  That would make them more amenable to what's-her-faces' plot.

Oh!  And the mane six didn't feel compelled to just ride off into the sunset!   I love that they stayed to build relationships with them!

THIS EPISODE MAKES ME WANT TO USE LOTS OF EXCLAMATION POINTS!!!!!

Starlight Glimmer = ponified Amon.

who's amon?

Really tight writing from a moment-to-moment perspective.  Lots of good little intros to the characters for new people:

• Spike sleeping, and waking up surprised by the map was excellent
  • Fluttershy giving everyone the benefit of the doubt was absolutely in her character.  being unable to rat out the ponies was fantastic (also, the sacrificial confession from what's his face was a fine surprise).  They came up with a plan that forced her to step out of her comfort zone, and she agreed, but you could see the tension clearly.  Yay for favorite character using the heck out of her talent.
  • Pinkie had their number from the first moment.  I don't like when shows make it obvious to the viewers that something is wrong, but expect us to believe that none of the characters can figure it out
  • Similarly, Rarity was uneasy by the architecture
  • Rainbow continues to be impetuous and brash, but in this case, it is good to see someone take a stand while the others were confused.
  • Twilight tried to be personable and friendly, even when others recognized her.  She wants to maintain her responsibility while not giving up her desire to make friends.  Also, at the end, she shares the kudos immediately.

Unfortunately, Applejack was a bit of a disappointment.  Her language isn't an intrinsic part of her upbrining?  Part of her special tallent is coming up with colorful phrases?  Taking away her cutie mark not only stopped her from talking, but also made her self aware enough to label the country talk?  That popped me out of the story.

Uhhhh...need to end on a positive note:

SKIING PONY!

who's amon?

A character from The Legend of Korra. Amon went on and on about how element-bending (it's kinda like magic) was so awful, and he also had the ability to take people's bending abilities away. Plus he founded a revolutionary group called the Equalists to help round up all benders so he could "equalize" them. Thing was, Amon was a waterbender the whole time.

SPOILER-RIFIC

oh man, this was FANTASTIC!

I'm so glad it was a little adventure...I like the more philosophical episodes to the mammoth adventure ones.

Also, the fact that the mane 6 empowered the other ponies, but then were unable to save themselves was very interesting.  The ending, where their new friends were the final heroes was wonderful!  Have we ever seen that?  It seems like every episode leaves one of the main characters as the hero.

Very interesting, they all decided to stay?!

Where did they come from?  It seems that they are excited to start fresh though.  I wonder how they got there in the first place?  Were they all orphans, or adrift, or lonely to start?  That would make them more amenable to what's-her-faces' plot.

Oh!  And the mane six didn't feel compelled to just ride off into the sunset!   I love that they stayed to build relationships with them!

THIS EPISODE MAKES ME WANT TO USE LOTS OF EXCLAMATION POINTS!!!!!

who's amon?

Really tight writing from a moment-to-moment perspective.  Lots of good little intros to the characters for new people:

• Spike sleeping, and waking up surprised by the map was excellent
  • Fluttershy giving everyone the benefit of the doubt was absolutely in her character.  being unable to rat out the ponies was fantastic (also, the sacrificial confession from what's his face was a fine surprise).  They came up with a plan that forced her to step out of her comfort zone, and she agreed, but you could see the tension clearly.  Yay for favorite character using the heck out of her talent.
  • Pinkie had their number from the first moment.  I don't like when shows make it obvious to the viewers that something is wrong, but expect us to believe that none of the characters can figure it out
  • Similarly, Rarity was uneasy by the architecture
  • Rainbow continues to be impetuous and brash, but in this case, it is good to see someone take a stand while the others were confused.
  • Twilight tried to be personable and friendly, even when others recognized her.  She wants to maintain her responsibility while not giving up her desire to make friends.  Also, at the end, she shares the kudos immediately.

Unfortunately, Applejack was a bit of a disappointment.  Her language isn't an intrinsic part of her upbrining?  Part of her special tallent is coming up with colorful phrases?  Taking away her cutie mark not only stopped her from talking, but also made her self aware enough to label the country talk?  That popped me out of the story.

Uhhhh...need to end on a positive note:

SKIING PONY!

I don't think that was the point of AJ's countryisms going away... Just as how Pinkie was not able to be excited or consider fun things fun. It was part of the magic causing the sameness. Basically it took away individuality... And AJ's countryisms are part of that. (That's the way I read it at least)

I don't think that was the point of AJ's countryisms going away... Just as how Pinkie was not able to be excited or consider fun things fun. It was part of the magic causing the sameness. Basically it took away individuality... And AJ's countryisms are part of that. (That's the way I read it at least)

Ah, that's not bad...but it wasn't as good as the other 5.

{ I liked this ep, very different~ }

It FEELS like a season opener without the silly save the world vibe.  It is a much more appropriate scope for the show.

It introduces the theme for the season nicely, so that is part of it.

See, I like the save the world vibe - and no doubt the finale is going to shoot for it since CLEARLY starlight glimmer had aspirations of going further...as her occasional remarks would have us believe.

It's not solely a slice of life show since they love to throw in adventures for a change of pace from the rest of the season, so the 2 parters are NORMALLY peoples favourites because of the higher stakes.

Of course, it's not for EVERYONE, but there is certainly a place and a time for such episodes to occur - and I feel that having them be the opener and close rather than RANDOMLY IN THE MIDDLE is a workable compromise for all!

Well, the show was actually surprisingly different. Kinda felt like they went the pop-culture root that the comics uses.

Be mindful of the spoiler box. It has actual spoilers.

I will say that it was pretty creepy in my opinion. And the direction... was actually fitting. The music was forced and patriotic. There were even moments when the ponies slipped up, and corrected themselves after one quick scornful glance.

Looked like the first two episodes took inspiration from 1984 and Harrison Bergeron.

The only thing it was missing is Big Brother is watching. Oh wait...

Love the episode! 

Starlight Glimmer was a great change of pace, not just a supernatural creature but a fairly normal pony that is evil. The episode had a feel of 1984 by George Orwell and V for Vendetta as well as certain episodes of the Twilight Zone. It really shows a message of the difference of thinking alike for the sake of harmony and being an individual which can still cause harmony. I like Fluttershy actually being the one to save the rest of her friends, Pinkie Pie and the bad muffins, Double Diamond being a skier pony, and crazy cutie mark stealing magic!

Looks like a good start for a new season! 

You might want to put that in a spoiler box.

But yeah... I'm actually shocked that an episode suddenly became a possible topic of rhetoric. And made so easy to grasp. Though... I doubt it's intended audience would catch the 1984 vibe that made this slightly disturbing.

The episode was hilarious, it had a brand new villain and most importantly the shoe is finally back

What shoe?

Well, the show was actually surprisingly different. Kinda felt like they went the pop-culture root that the comics uses.

I will say that it was pretty creepy in my opinion. And the direction... was actually fitting. The music was forced and patriotic. There were even moments when the ponies slipped up, and corrected themselves after one quick scornful glance.

Looked like the first two episodes took inspiration from 1984 and Harrison Bergeron.

The only thing it was missing is Big Brother is watching. Oh wait...

yeah, the comics are pretty good for that.  I'm two behind on the main series and one behind.

And they pulled of creepy pretty well.  I was squirming a bit for sure.  It helped a lot to know that there were three ponies in the town who felt the same.

Archived