Official Discussion Thread - S05E1-2 Cutie Map

This episode was very flank/butt heavy.

Rematch and count how many times the flank is either pointed out or the camera gives focus too.

Considering this was a very Cutie-Mark episode, you tend to get a lot of pony behind in these types of episodes. :kissy:

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I didn't really research the premise of the episode, but I could tell what it would be about just by seeing a few quick promos depicting a smiley town full of  equals sign cutie marks. Nothing really surprising about the larger premise, it's been done many times before throughout cartoons.

I suppose her being a hypocrite who didn't sacrifice her own cutie mark is a twist I did not see coming, but it also makes me think about the nature of how we tend to always bash hypocrisy.

Technically, she had a point about her needing her cutie mark. To use the magic to take the other ones away, and it's not like she was being that much of a hypocrite because she was actively hiding her CM and actually did practice what she preached.

But then again, I was thinking that she would somehow put Twilight's cutie mark onto her flank to add to or replace her own, if that is somehow possible, and "absorb" Twilight's magical talents. But maybe that wouldn't work because it is a part of Twilight, not a part of someone else.

Also, yes indeed, Pinkie was written perfectly in this episode. That's how you work Pinkie's characterization in a good way!

Holy crap, I totally missed that!

Super classy.  

I didn't even realize that either, but now it is really obvious that smashing the vault with the staff is just like the hammer swing to the big movie propaganda screen in the Apple Computer 1984 commercial.

... But I think it was cheap that opening the vault was that easy. Why couldn't they even so much as have a hand-wave of an explanation for that? They had enough time for it in the episode if only they skipped the song/made it a bit shorter.

For me, the philosophy of the town was an extremely obvious and definitely familiar trope, but maybe they needed to explain this philosophy to little kids who are watching, so... they used a song.

Technically, she had a point about her needing her cutie mark. To use the magic to take the other ones away, and it's not like she was being that much of a hypocrite because she was actively hiding her CM and actually did practice what she preached.

But she was using the fact she still had her magic to make the other townsponies idolize/ obey her.

Look at how she glares at them, how she makes them pop back in line if they step out, heck she was brainwashing ponies via that room to make them see things HER way.

She didn't have a point, if she were about equalization, she would have made  her village then removed her own cutie mark, she instead fabricated this big lie, so she got to keep her own special and unique talent where everyone else...well they suffered and in fear too.

Alright, lets do this :D

*44 minutes of ponies later* Huh....okay.

Okay, so in the season gap, I decided to go completely spoiler free (tried to do it before S4 too, but that kinda failed) Anywho, i did NOT expect anything of what happened. Like pony communism? Who knew! Dem smiles though.... I thought my smiley thing was creepy, but dang... XD

But anyway, the whole cutiemark removing thing...kinda confused me. Like, is Starlit's special talent supposed to be taking other ponies' special talents away? If not, then how did she learn to do that? And whats her motive for doing it, anyway? And if so...well, that must suck to be her. On a different note, she reminded me of Trixie almost, just with Suri's design. (seriously, what's up with that?) Maybe shell get redeemed like Trixie at some point :3

Other than that, I dont really know what else to say about this. The comedy was good("Hi mom and dad!" *SMOOSH* Priceless XD) I also liked the village ponies, after they got their marks back of course. Good to see the show using more stallion background chars, unlike season 1. Character development for Flutters too! She has hope! Now all we need is some Spikyness...why wasnt he in the episode, anyways? He could have played a part, especially since he doesn't have a mark to take away. Heck he could have even played Fluttershy's role.

This premeire was okay overall. Better than Crystal Empire, but not as great as Return of Harmony. Score? 12/12 of dem muffins. Heres to a great season 5!!!! :D :D

This had nothing to do with communism, communism isn't about forcing everyone to be equal.

1. a political theory derived from Karl Marx, advocating class war and leading to a society in which all property is publicly owned and each person works and is paid according to their abilities and needs.

This was about one of those cults where the leader has all the power and everyone else does as they said for enlightenment. ^^

I don't think I've chimed in here yet.

My thoughts on this premier can be summed up as follows:

Starlight Glimmer is the greatest thing in the universe. I love her. She is best pony. She is my waifu. She is my soul. I WANT TO HOLD YOU STARLIGHT GLIMMER! I'LL DO WHATEVER YOU SAY! TAKE MY CUTIE MARK! WE MUST ALL BE EQUAL!

*clears throat*

Forgive me. Anyways, it was good. 8/10.

This had nothing to do with communism, communism isn't about forcing everyone to be equal.

Ok, I agree with you in theory.  And it does fit a cult as well.

However, in practice, communism can look VERY different from Marx' ideal.

Stalinist communism was based around one man with all the power, and everyone else was a slave.  No one was safe.  No one had agency (if they wanted to live).  Everyone was terrified.  It didn't matter where you were on the scale.  You could be anywhere in the government, but if you weren't Stalin, doing something other than following orders was dangerous.

When Stalin died, it took more than 12 hours for them to get a doctor to pronounce him dead.  After so long without agency, it was terrifying to take a stand, or to say something that Stalin would kill you for.  Could you imagine declaring him dead if he wasn't really?  What if you declared him dead, and that offended the new leader?

All that is to say, the show reminds me of communism as well.  Fear, uncertainty, cult of personality... (sorry colt, i love you! scary name though)

Practically speaking, it's a fit.  

I've only watched the first of the two episodes, but I can say I'm slightly underwhelmed. I feel like we've been spoiled with incredible season starters for the past couple of years, and now we have a fairly standard beginning set of episodes. Still excited for the rest of the season, though.

• 2 weeks later...

That episode... was... interesting.

I LOVED it. Unique and it had a different way of resolving it. It wasn't really resolved either with the villain getting away. I'm sure this sets up for the season finale and the "Cutie Mark Magic" thing. Or that's what I'm assuming.

Either way, GREAT BEGINNING to the season and I can't wait to see more.

My worries were unfounded once again. At least for now.  :unsure:

I enjoyed this beginning though.

:smirk:

• 4 weeks later...

Archived