Should they write Spike out?

But would many be upset if he were written out? I can't imagine many liking him.

Doesn't the fandom often get INCREDIBLY pissy if the staff do things on their account?

And anyways, I don't think it matters if there are many that wont be upset, there are probably equally as many people who WOULD be upset if he left -shrug- Let's just see if he grows any this season.

It doesn't matter if the adult fandom likes him or not. The intended audience is not the adult fandom, it is the childhood fandom. And I assume they have far less issues than the adults do. 

Spike, apart from being a character that I enjoy as not-the-center-of-attention, is also good from a storytelling perspective.  He gives Twilight someone to talk to at anytime of the day or night ("About Time" episode needed someone at Twi's house at night).  Furthermore, Spike is young, and can be the immature/ignorant side of a plot.  

He's not my favorite character, but one of the cool parts of MLP is that there is something for everyone.  I'd hate for someone to try to remove Fluttershy just because they didn't understand her appeal.  

Also:

https://youtu.be/x8tVoriImK8?t=1m52s

Spike, apart from being a character that I enjoy as not-the-center-of-attention, is also good from a storytelling perspective.  He gives Twilight someone to talk to at anytime of the day or night ("About Time" episode needed someone at Twi's house at night).  Furthermore, Spike is young, and can be the immature/ignorant side of a plot.  

He's not my favorite character, but one of the cool parts of MLP is that there is something for everyone.  I'd hate for someone to try to remove Fluttershy just because they didn't understand her appeal.  

Also:

https://youtu.be/x8tVoriImK8?t=1m52s

But like I said, I can't imagine many liking him.

You don't like him?

I quite like Spike, and while he hasn't gotten the attention he probably should have, he's still neat to have around. When they really do do a good episode with him (I'm thinking Equestria Games here) it works nicely. I wouldn't want to see him disappear.

I can't stand Fluttershy, REMOVE HER I SAY! -waves hoof-

nooooooooooooooooooo!

But like I said, I can't imagine many liking him.

You don't like him?

So because you can't imagine liking him, you think it is likely that few do?  It's ok to not understand, but its silly to project your perspective onto everyone.

I like spike.  Unfortunately, I am not a fan of any of his episodes except for the pet sitting one.  He is great in smaller doses.  I'd be sad if he just disappeared.  

An analyst of the fandom (I don't remember who) came up with an interesting idea for Spike, which I like and think this could renew his purpose in the story. The idea is Princess Celestia sending Spike on special missions on his own without the other ponies being with him. You'll get an episode or two about these adventures and the Spike returns as a stronger and wiser member of the team.  

I don't think they should write him out but I agree he needs to be something other than the straight man to Twilight's antics or the fall guy. I liked him in Power Ponies as the unassuming hero but he needs more of a purpose to his role. 

Nah nah nah.  Spike may not be the greatest character out there, but he has his place and role in the show.  As others have said, he just really needs to be fleshed out and be made into a better character.  How in the world do you just write out a character that probably has the closest relationship to the main protagonist of the show and isnt even an element of harmony?  If it were to happen, it would have to be done exactly right and should play a strong role in the plot or you're dealing with a very depressed purple alicorn for a good long time for no real reason.

It's better to leave him in, but give his role a bit more meaning.  He probably has alot of character and story building potential in his little dragon hide, but he's not given a whole lot of chances to tell it.  His episodes are few and far in between, and it seems to be a toss-up between a "good" spike episode and a "lame" spike episode whenever he does get his own spotlight.   Most of the time he's in the background being a comic relief, crushing on Rarity, or fulfilling his role as assistant by either keeping Twilight in check or doing some assistant duty, or maybe even helping the plot move along but he's not a central point to it.

Its been awhile since we've had an episode dealing with Spike understanding more about his dragon self.  I'd like to see some growth there. 

Spike is adorable.

Who else is going to clean up after twilight, be used for comic relief, have pithy little-brother comments for the show, make nachos or otherwise be twilight's personal baby dragon slave?

So is that what he gets for a lifetime of servitude? Jut to be written off? I feel that baby dragon slaves should unite against the man... er... mare.

o3o

I love Spike. To be honest, I've always enjoyed his immature antics, and they remind me of my relationship with my little sister to a degree. He's dramatically younger than the mane 6, so his constant immaturity and difficulty with growth has always sort of made sense to me. Young kids aren't always the quickest to realize big changes in themselves, and sometimes those changes are really small. I mean, I'd argue that Spike's had a pretty fair amount of character growth since his arrival to Ponyville despite -not- being a main character, but rather a side companion to the protagonist. Oh, Sam to Twilight's Frodo...

He grew exponentially when he went on a self-growth quest to discover who and what he is --- and while he didn't find an answer to where he came from, he did discover that it matters less than the identity he's formed with as a family to Twilight, and resident of Ponyville. In most of his episodes, he's had some major realization about his behavior, from greed changing him into a monster, to needing to take charge on his own, without Twilight, to overcoming anxiety and fear in order to assist with the Equestria Games.

I think the biggest issue they have with Spike is that the times they have him on screen, they struggle to showcase the actual growth he's gone through as a character. They sparsely reference his past achievements --- and given his episodes are few and far between, it can lead to him feeling flatter than he actually is. They barely showcase the major personality revelations he's had in their writing him. His relationship with others, aside from Twilight, evolves at a snail's pace --- which I suppose makes a degree of sense. My little sister wasn't exactly best friends forever with my friends, and she wouldn't let me within two feet of hers because "ew, you'll embarrass me!" sibling law made it so. Still, having Spike be more social would be a good start. Heck, given his age-range, it'd be cool to see him try to establish a friendship with the Cutie Mark Crusaders. They're more likely to have things in common than a baby dragon and 6 young adult ponies.

In short: Yeah, they totally need to write his part better. I'm sure there's a way for them to include him easily. If anything, I'd like to see more slice of life episodes with Spike. It seems he crops up more for big epic quests than anything, and that's a shame, considering I've always wondered what the heck Spike does all day aside from sleep until mid-afternoon.

I've never had any real fondness for Spike (even less so episodes devoted to him), but he evens out the female cast and is an emotional support for Twilight, so I think that's a good enough reason for him to stay. And in a strange way he's somewhat essential, not to the story so much as the characters.

This is getting bizarre. This thread is familiar too.

Hmm...

Well... anyway...

Absolutely not. I happen to like the little guy.

:)

Archived