Official Discussion Thread - S05E3 Castle Sweet Castle

800px-What_remains_of_the_Golden_Oak_Lib

Prepare for the feels!!

Saturday is upon us again and with it another new episode of the love we love, so sit back and watch adorable ponies do adorable things! From the title, one can guess this is about Twilight adjusting to her new home.  Will Twi learn to like her fancy new home?  Is there enough bookshelf space?  Why can't they fix the old one?  Watch and find out! The episode airs Saturday 11:00 AM EST on April 11th. :)

This thread is dedicated to discussing the episode before, during, and afterwards. As the thread is now open it may indeed contain spoilers. I ask that potential spoilers talked about or shown before the episode airs stay within the spoiler tags please, after the episode you no longer have to use the spoiler tags, but warning, if you haven't seen the episode yet after it airs, this thread no doubt will have all sorts of spoilers in reviews, images, etc. So tread at your own risk. :smirk:

Great episode all around. I like that we're off the "epic track" since the last 4 sequential episodes featured a epic story with a dark plot and antagonist. I think those episodes are important, but the slice of life episodes are what bring real life to FiM for me.

Great episode all around. I like that we're off the "epic track" since the last 4 sequential episodes featured a epic story with a dark plot and antagonist. I think those episodes are important, but the slice of life episodes are what bring real life to FiM for me.

Exactly.

This is the type of ep that charges me up. 

It was pretty predictable...to a point...but it had a nice surprise at the end.  

A few specific things:

• The deception was exposed.  And there was an apology.  it grinds me gears when those slip by.
  • My favorite pet as a static-y puffball.  Angel putting up with it, but clearly for only so long.  
  • Bulk Biceps (you'll always be "Flex" to me) cameo!
  • Spa!
  • Spa Ponies!
  • Spa Ponies actually saying things!
  • I'm glad they figured it out BEFORE twilight got back.  The length of time it took in "art of the dress" was painful.
  • A home for Twilight...needs to have Twilight touches...But it is nice to see her friends shine through in little ways as well.  I hired an aunt as an interior decorator, and she does know me well, but the home I got is also a bit of a reflection of her, and since I love her so much, her touches are appreciated.
  • The memories were really nice...could have used a montage of 5-10 times more...set to music of course.
  • I started crying the same time twilight did.
  • It is probably a good thing that Twilight's tree ruins are gone.  That was pretty depressing.
  • Have any of you guys ever tried to dig up a little tree?  There is no way that that was a 10 min job : )
  • The place is still too big.  I'd be drowning in the space.  And this helps, but how much could it really help?

It was a nice slice of life story after the darker season opener. 

• Surprise confetti cannons! 
  • Each pony trying to do what they thought was the best way to feel at home when they realized that it was what Twilight wanted. 
  • Spike actually having a fairly good role in trying to stall Twilight. 
  • Bulk Biceps as a massage therapist? No thanks!
  • Spa ponies speaking! 
  • A nice closure to the Golden Oaks Library. Hasbro could have easily forgotten about it, but they instead mentioned how it still affected Twilight and gave it a proper place. Although, seeing as this tree held three levels of rooms plus a basement, it must have been a chore to dig up the roots. Unless it was only part of the tree that was salvaged. 
  • Pinkie Pie's pancake palooza! Just no missing spoon please!

Bit of a let down from last week's great S5 premier, bit overall, a good episode.  The song was a bit 'forced' and came off like a square peg in a round hole.  The best parts of this ep was Pinkie being Pinkie and Bulk Biceps!  Who knew he had a job working at the spa?  WOW!  Honestly, this wasn't a rotten episode but it just feels like 'filler' for better episodes to come.  On a scale of 1 to 10, I'll give it a 3 (and that's being generous) 

This one was fun. Nice change of pace after the dark opener, which touched on things important to Twilight. Kind of a neccesary episode.

Song was good, if not one of my favorites ever.

Rarity and Rainbow interacted a lot, which I appreciate. I adore the little hoofbump they share after clearing out some of AJ's stuff.

Lots of adorable in general--pancakes, Spike's plush, etc.

Another hit. Season five is moving along nicely. :)

Wow. Now that was an episode I am pretty much proud to say that I have shed a tear or two during the live broadcast.

To quote from my tweet this morning:

"Awww...that was a heartfelt episode. In fact, In feeling very teary as I'm writing this. Can somepony get me a tissue?"

This episode really hit home for me.

I was left speechless for the entire duration of the program in seeing what Twilight and Spike had to go through after Tirek destroyed their home and the rebuilding process, trials, tribulations, heartbreak and in the end being overwhelmed by the new additions to make it a little more like their old home.

The scene that made me a tad weepy was when Twilight and Spike returned to "ground zero" as I call it to see the damage first hand. Hearing the emotion in both Twilight and Spike's voices when they remembered the times and memories in that place was more than enough for me to cry a little bit.

Apart from the tears there were also a few scenes that made me almost lost it in laughter, especially when it came to Rarity almost losing it after they tried to take down her decoration and design work.

Also as a side note, I couldn't even come up with things to say during the live tweeting as the subject covered reflected some real world experiences that I had to deal with when I was younger:

"Apologies for the lack of live tweets from me for this episode. It seems the storyline has also stuck a nerve for me."

The final scene where Twilight was overwhelmed emotionally also struck a chord for me as it was a moving and emotional scene. Seeing the tears in Twily's eyes got me a bit choked up with the kind gesture the Mane 6 did. That right there is the true spirit of friendship. Bar none.

So in summary, this episode for me is one for the ages. This is history book material. This is museum material. Heck, you can put this in the National Film and Sound Archive for many generations to come. But this episode really drove home some major points and in the process made many a fan appreciate what they have.

I have also have written my full thoughts on the episode itself on my blog, which can be viewed here.

There is also a audio described version of the blog post below:

I really enjoyed this episode. It was so sweet and had so many great moments. Everyone was perfectly in character and played off each other in such entertaining ways. Rarity in particular was my favorite here. Fantastic song too. This is probably going to be one of my favorites of season 5.

• "I'm pancake!"
  • When the chipmunks ripped the curtain, I thought Rarity yelled "EVERYPONY DIES!"
  • The part where Twilight hugged the stack of pancakes like a pillow was so adorable!
  • I got all misty eyed when Twilight saw the chandelier. Tara Strong's performance there was fantastic.
  • The song was super awesome. I really loved Rainbow's voice in this one.
  • The way Bulk Biceps ushered Spike out of the room had me rolling for some reason.
  • Rarity plushie!
  • I wanted to see what Applejack did with the kitchen :C
  • We needs a Rarity/Rainbow Dash episode!
  • I really want pancakes now.

Wow. Now that was an episode I am pretty much proud to say that I have shed a tear or two during the live broadcast.

To quote from my tweet this morning:

"Awww...that was a heartfelt episode. In fact, In feeling very teary as I'm writing this. Can somepony get me a tissue?"

This episode really hit home for me.

I was left speechless for the entire duration of the program in seeing what Twilight and Spike had to go through after Tirek destroyed their home and the rebuilding process, trials, tribulations, heartbreak and in the end being overwhelmed by the new additions to make it a little more like their old home.

The scene that made me a tad weepy was when Twilight and Spike returned to "ground zero" as I call it to see the damage first hand. Hearing the emotion in both Twilight and Spike's voices when they remembered the times and memories in that place was more than enough for me to cry a little bit.

Apart from the tears there were also a few scenes that made me almost lost it in laughter, especially when it came to Rarity almost losing it after they tried to take down her decoration and design work.

Also as a side note, I couldn't even come up with things to say during the live tweeting as the subject covered reflected some real world experiences that I had to deal with when I was younger:

"Apologies for the lack of live tweets from me for this episode. It seems the storyline has also stuck a nerve for me."

The final scene where Twilight was overwhelmed emotionally also struck a chord for me as it was a moving and emotional scene. Seeing the tears in Twily's eyes got me a bit choked up with the kind gesture the Mane 6 did. That right there is the true spirit of friendship. Bar none.

So in summary, this episode for me is one for the ages. This is history book material. This is museum material. Heck, you can put this in the National Film and Sound Archive for many generations to come. But this episode really drove home some major points and in the process made many a fan appreciate what they have.

I have also have written my full thoughts on the episode itself on my blog, which can be viewed here.

There is also a audio described version of the blog post below:

I am really relieved to know that I'm not the only one who found this plot relevant. Having lost a home in my childhood, and seeing it happen again to my mom just recently, this episode brought me some much needed comfort.

I am doing all that I can to help make my mother's new place feel more like home, which is admittedly been difficult at times. I could very much understand what the rest of the cast was feeling as they tried to understand what home meant to Twilight Sparkle. Now I just need to find something of a chandler to do for my mom.

• I got all misty eyed when Twilight saw the chandelier. Tara Strong's performance there was fantastic.

For sure.

Well, actually, I got misty eyed when I saw the chandelier.  It was all the more poignant to see Twilight crying with me.  

3 things made this episode awesome: Pancakes, Rarity plushies, and dat Bulk Biceps cameo...XD

Well, besides that, I really enjoyed this one. The slice of life stories are what I like about MLP best (though the action packed ones are still prettty awesome). The chandelier scene definitely made me smile; I love it when the show references back to other episodes and all, but this...the feels, man...

Gah, look at what this show is doing to me. I'm losing my manlinees! Maybe I need one of those massages...

medium.jpg

Sleepy Twilight was adorable :3 just watching her use those pancakes for pillows was cute and funny.

Also, Pinkies face in remembering the explosion....has me concerned.

all in all a very heart touching episode. And now All spa rps can include a bulk Biceps massage. How painful can it really be?

Cute episode....I do hope they do something with that tree...or maybe they're keeping it like that as an 'Memorial' of the whole battle. Also, the spa ponies have spoken before...I think.... :razz:

Fffffffffft!!!111!

I loved this episode. I loved it so much, I thought I was going to cry at the end when they presented the tree root chandelier. Honestly, this episode totally epitomized everything I love about the series --- from the unbelievably catchy song, to the way they present friendships. It was fun watching the girls try to put together the castle, and it was awesome watching them struggle to figure out what it was that would ultimately make the castle comfortable --- and not for themselves, but for Twilight most importantly. I thought the way they presented things, especially when they were "removing the clutter" was super thought out. Rarity and Rainbow Dash's leering was fun (and thank Celestia that Rainbow removed that gaudy portrait). More importantly, I like how they got the characters to demonstrate their differences, while also working together towards a common goal. It felt like they were individuals, and that's what makes the series so great for me. The reaaaallly good character personalities.

Also. That touching moment that Twilight and Spike had at the Golden Oak library. That was heartbreaking, given I can imagine having your home destroyed by a disaster or conflict is a heavy-handed emotion. ;3; I love that they presented this as a problem not only for Twilight, but for Spike. The little dragon's just too proud to admit it in front of everyone. That or he was crying because deep tissue massages for the muscles sound unbelievably painful. Ooo. That spinal crack. xD

Still. I loooved this episode. If the series keeps up that, I'll be totally content for all of eternity.

Archived