The Book of 100 Spirits ((ATTN: Brianblackberry, PM if interested in joining))

WillowWisp

ponyicon_zpsqfnorslk.png

There was a bit of a lurch as the train pulled into the Appleloosa station causing Willow Wisp to almost tumble out of her seat. She'd been napping the whole trip, having left the night before and traveling through the day. The sun was just setting as she yawned, grabbed her saddle bag and slowly exited the train.

It had been awhile since she'd been in the settlement just on the edge of the desert, and more importantly it had been a long time since she'd seen him. Willow Wisp looked down at her feet. Braeburn was a very special pony to her. Last time she'd been there she brought him some seeds for a strange black apple tree, and after planting it, it became clear that there was more than just a friendship there. But then she took off again... she was a PMIA... Pony Missing In Action.

Maybe he'd be upset. Maybe he'd met some other mare who was actually around. She tried to not think about it as she slowly trotted toward his farm house. She hadn't meant to be gone so long, but it was a special mission. It was something her father asked her to investigate and after a long journey she had the object of study in her possession.

When she finally reached the farm house she paused and looked around. Maybe he was still out in the fields, then again the sun was going down. She wondered how the tree with the strange black apples was doing. They were tasty, even if they were odd looking.

"Um..." she cleared her throat and knocked on the farm house door. "Braeburn?"

Braeburn wearily walked back towards his small homestead carrying a bucket with some tools in his mouth and several more gardening and trimming implements in his saddlebags.  It had been a long day in the orchards and not without a few problems, an errant storm that wandered over from the wild lands,  jackalopes trying to steal vegetables from the garden, but at least the apple trees were doing well all things considered.   

However, it was finally time to put the tools away and the day behind him, he had earned his rest and relaxation for the rest of the night.  A delicious apple cinnamon pie and a small batch of glazed apple strudels awaited him, courtesy of his cousin Apple Pie, who visited him on occasion.    As tempting as it was, Braeburn had no intention of eating all of it, or even a third, such a meal would last him several days.  The goldenrod stallion smiled at the thought of days of such deliciousness before little out a small sigh at the prospect of having all those dinners alone.

He worked to shake those depressing thoughts form his mind as he put away all the tools in the shed and trotted into his home from the back door.   The weary Apple was about to place his Stetson on the coat rack when he heard a knock on the front door and a voice that he couldn’t quite make out, although it did sound familiar, the voice was slightly eerie, yet warm and caring.  A small number of ponies ran through his mind, none of them seemed plausible though; maybe it was a courier from sheriff Silver Star on an emergency town meeting, it made the most sense.

Braeburn opened the door with his warm smile, no reason to be anything less than polite, it was the Apple way!  “What can I do you…  Willow Wisp!?!!”  Braeburn felt a swirl of emotion feel his head, not to mention a few butterflies in his stomach as he looked in shocked surprise at the black unicorn mare, unsure what to do or say.  Should he hug her?  Should he kiss her?  Would that be even appropriate?  Where did they even stand??  He had no idea and at first; he didn’t even know what to even say before finally coming to his senses enough to go back to his old Apple teaching when it came to guests, “umm… What brings, er, won’t you come in?!”

"Well I..." Wisp paused, she hung her head a little. The first thing she wanted to do was apologize for everything, but it was best to hold off and at least go inside first.

She trotted into his home and took a sniff. Breaburn's home always made her think of apple pies, even if there weren't any around, it just brought that memory. And she loved the dusty smell that came with running a farm.

"I'm sorry I was gone without any notice," Willow Wisp finally turned back to him with sad eyes. "I had gone home to visit my family and my father ended up needing my help with some very important research. It was very secretive and so I couldn't go writing letters or really letting anyone know about it... for their safety."

She glanced to her saddle bag for a moment, then back to him.

"I'm not a very good special some pony... taking off like that. But..." No, there was no need to get all emotional. She didn't even know how he felt about it. "Anyway, I have completed part of my project but now I need some help. And... well there is no better adventure partner than you. There's no one else I would want helping me to... to be perfectly honest."

Braeburn listened to Willow Wisp’s full explanation without a word, figuring that he should at least listen to what she had to say; listen before you judge, that is what his Granny Smith always taught him and his cousins!  Her explanation was short on detail, but he knew about her work in general enough to know that sometimes it did have to be secretive.  Admittedly he didn’t understand unicorn magic or the supernatural well at all, but he wasn’t fool enough to think there weren’t all sorts of strange otherworldy occurrences that caused trouble and there were those who were knowledgeable of such things charged with dealing with any paranormal dangers to Equestria.

More important at that moment than her explanation was she referred to herself as a “special somepony”, which meant she was still interested, in fact it sounded like she never lost interest!  That was the question that played on his mind the most these last few months.  He had no idea if she was ever going to come back, or be interested, and he was to move on, like so many failed relationships before.  He still wasn’t entirely sure even now, but he was confident enough to give her a warm hug at least, “hey now, it’s alright, Ah’m just glad that yer okay, Ah had no idea what happened.  Heck, Ah’d bet there are ah few old unopened letters at yer mailbox still, heh.”  He rubbed the back of his gold and orange mane in slight embarrassment, and hoped that didn’t sound creepy at all, he certainly wasn’t the stalker type but he did try to get in touch, just to find out what happened.  After a few weeks of getting no reply, he assumed it was over, but it looks like his instincts were wrong.

Braeburn had a look of curious surprise when Willow mentioned needing help and something about adventure.  Adventure?  That’s a word that sure brought back some memories!  Besides now that he was looking at Willow face to face, he couldn’t say no to those cerise eyes regardless!  “So, umm, tell me what’s this mission y’all need mah help on?”

"I haven't even been home to check my mail," she gave a light chuckle.

Part of her was really happy to hear he had tried to send her letters, that must of meant he was still interested in her as well. Maybe they both had been worried about whether the other was interested, and she hoped they could get all the kinks of the relationship worked out, as well as working on the project she came seeking help on.

"Do you think we can still get to those caves where we faced the Spirit Lantern? I know part of them caved in, but, I'm sure there are other tunnels that may lead to that old hidden cave dwelling town."

Wisp walked over to the couch and pulled an old black book out of her saddle bag. It looked worn and just gave off a creepy vibe. The pages were tinted with the signs of age and in big gold letters the cover read, 'The Book of 100 Spirits.'

"This is a very special book. My father needed me to help him find it, and he believes I may be one of the few ponies around that can handle it, due to my magic and being connected with all things creepy and spooky. There's a bit of a long story behind it, so pull of a seat and I'll explain the best I can."

• 2 weeks later...

Braeburn began to feel more relaxed with the situation - her long absence was simply circumstances beyond their control than anything else.  He had been ready to put it all behind him - one of the important lessons Granny Smith had taught him was to know when to let things go, but he was far happier that it didn't have to come to that.

A somewhat less relaxing idea was to go visiting the caverns of the Spirit Lanterns again. It had been quite the adventure the last time, and even a whole lot of fun - after the fact, at least.  Nothing so dangerous and exciting had happened to the goldenrod stallion before in his life! It was nice to be in the middle of some great mystical mystery full of perils, like the adventures his cousin Applejack kept finding herself in.  But that didn't mean he was keen to put his life in danger again!  But how could he say no? "Well, those caves actually been open for a while now. Turned out all sorts of fancy magical researchers from dem fancy magical schools wanted to check the place out, it's turned into a research camp down thar over time. Good thing too in a way, all those professor types love to spend bits in town!"

Before Braeburn could ask why Willow was interested in those caves again, she pulled out a large book. He couldn't say why, but something about the tome gave off an eerie vibe that made the hairs on the back of his neck to stand up, as if the book itself held some kind of magical power - a suspicion that she confirmed. As alarming as the book may have been, his curiosity about it was even greater.  Besides, it meant spending time with the pretty unicorn mare, which definitely overrode any discomfort he had with the book's unearthly "presence". "Well yer in luck, Ah happen to have some some deeeeelicious apple strudels and some sweet apple pie with whipped cream! Hate to eat all of that alone! So Ah'll get the grub and then y'all kin tell me the story behind the book!"

Strudels and pie? That sounded just perfect and in fact her belly grumbled just thinking about it. A faint blush of embarasment came to her when realized how loud the grumble was. Then again she hadn't eaten much, having slept most of the train ride.

"Those sound really good if my stomach is any indication." She gave a sheepish chuckle.

Once they had their snack she settled in, looking to the book she pulled out, it was a long story and she wanted to make sure she didn't bore him.

"My father, Historic Antiquity, is really good at finding missing pieces of history. He loves going to dig sites and uncovering parts of ponies past that have been lost. And this book... well it's a very important little treasure. Though I suppose little isn't the best word for it, it has a lot of pages." She flipped it open to reveal something strange, many of the pages were blank.

"Long ago, a terrible spirit haunted the world. It was huge and had all sorts of powers. Ponies didn't know what to do. But one brave Unicorn with a special brand of magic set forth to stop it. Using a powerful spell, they broke the spirit into 100 parts. Each page of this book is suppose to contain one of the hundred pieces. But as you can see, some of them are blank. That means over time, parts broke free from the spells binding each page."

Wisp paused for a moment as she shut the book again. She watched it as if it was going to get up and start moving on it's own but eventually shook it off and continued her story.

"The legend says that if a pony reads a page it breaks the spell. However if that pony has a special kind of magic the spells won't be effected. Which is why my father gave it to me. My "spooky" powers seem to have that effect. I can read the pages and nothing happens. He's worried about the blank pages though and fears that it weakens the book's power to have missing parts. That's why he wants me to try and track down the spirits of the blank pages."

She sighed and looked to Braeburn. "I think the spirit lantern may have been part of the book. And though we beat it and trapped it, I think going back to those caves may give us a hint on where other spirits could be hiding. That old lost civilization seemed like it had a connection with spirits and that's why I was hoping you'd lend me a hoof."

Braeburn sat there for several seconds with his mouth and eyes in wide open silence, stunned by the spooky story he just heard, especially since the subject of the tale sat right there on his rustic coffee table.  He didn’t even want to look at the pages too closely lest he accidently read the contents and release some malevolent spirit into his living room!

“Uhhhhh….” Braeburn said cautiously, and then his words faltered again.  This was a LOT to take in for the simple country pony!  “Well!  That’s quite a tale, Willow!”  He let out a soft laugh.  “Ah’ll admit, ah feel a bit out of mah league with that one.  Y’all’re the smart one.  Ah’m not sure what y’all think ah kin do, but ah’ll nay leave y’all t’deal with it yerself.  Ah’m behind y’all, all th’ way, y’all kin count on that.”

He thought for a moment in regard to the Spirit Lantern.  “At any rate, ah reckon we kin start with th’ lantern itself.  Th’ smart ponies from out east prolly have it at their camp.  If’n ah remember what y’all told me ‘bout it – that spirit’s trapped inside it’s own lantern, right?  Less’n somepony opens it up an’ lets it out.  But who’d do that?”

"You know the area far better than I do. Besides, you were really helpful when we went up against that lantern, I wouldn't want anypony else as help."

Wisp smiled as she took a moment to enjoy a little snack, after all it had been a long trip. She was sure Braeburn was the right pony for the job. He was adventurous, knew the area pretty well and well, she trusted him. He didn't seem scared about what she told him, and the fact he wanted to help was all the better. She'd never want to force someone.

"That's a great idea. Hopefully nopony has opened it back up. And if it is one the missing parts of the book we can trap it back inside so it's safe and sound and can't cause any more trouble than it already has. Don't want any other trains to go missing. Even if that was an exciting adventure."

Willow Wisp tucked the book back into her saddle bag and sighed softly. It was a big task she'd been seated with, but her father was sure she could handle it. She didn't want to let him down. And if she really could handle the book because of her magic, she didn't want to let Equestria down. How horrible it would be if the land got overrun with not so friendly spirits?

"I just hope I can find the missing parts so the book will be whole again."

• 2 weeks later...

Brarburn smiled at the compliment as he rubbed the back of his mane with his hoof.  Truth was he wasn’t keen to return to that cave, but it was likely to be much safer this time around.  Not that he minded - he did have that good ol’ pioneer sense of adventure.  One didn’t move out to the edge of the Painted Pinto and help start a new town if one didn’t like taking life-changing challenges.  No risk, no reward that is what his dam Apple Brown Betty used to tell him.  Besides, how could he possibly say no to her adorably beautiful face after she went through the effort to reconnect with him? 

“Well ah’ll be happy as a starvin’ fruit bat in an apple tree full of freshly ripened pink ladies to help y’all Willow, y’all kin count on this ol’ farmer from  Aaaaaappleloosa!!”  The goldenrod stallion stood up on his hind legs and neighed in excitement before realizing it likely looked quite silly to her and returned to standing on all fours.  “Ahem.. Well Ah’m sure as sugar those egg- er smart researchers have enough sense in ‘em to not open that ol’ lantern.  We all left very specific instructions and all not to, and why and all.”  After what happened in the valley the last time, he can’t imagine why anypony would do something so crazy, right? 

Even though he now had irrational doubts creeping into his mind about the researchers and the safety of traveling to the camp, he certainly wasn’t going to back out now!    Instead he needed to show that she was right to believed in him!  “Ah’m sure y’all, ah mean, we kin find those missin’ ghosts fer yer book, no problem!  So, ah suppose y’all want to go tonight now that the sun’s gone down since yer magic’s strongest at night, right?”

Even if he felt she might find his rearing up silly, Willow Wisp found it rather cute. She always liked his enthusiasm. And she was really happy he wanted to help her out. Sure, she could go check in with these researchers herself, but she didn't want to get lost. And she liked the company. She was tired of explorations that left her on her own.

As he mentioned the sun setting, she looked to the window. Sure enough it was getting darker and that meant when she went outside, her natural glow would start to show. She hoped it wouldn't startle anypony, especially the researchers that they were planning on tracking down.

"Spirit hunting really is a night time event," she commented with a light laugh. "They're not much for being out in the light. So if you're up to it, I'm ready to head out. It would be best to find out what we can as soon as possible. I'd hate for something bad to happen."

"Alrighty," he said, "Well, Ah'd best hurry up and get ready, then!"  His saddlebags landed heavily onto the table between them, and in an smooth flying arc, a series of useful objects came through the air and into the saddlebags - a handy utility knife, a box of matches, two water canteens, his lasso, and quite a few apple-based treats.  He stashed a lantern into the kit, though with her glow he probably wouldn't need it, and right now the lantern left him a little bit nervous, considering last time ...

And thinking of last time, and what those flying cactus spines did to wood and pony alike ... "One more thang," he said, and slipped away into the kitchen briefly.  When he emerged once more, he was carrying the biggest metal pot lid that he could find, one that could easily shield two ponies behind it.  "Just in case we come across more supernatural critters that shoot spines, needles, or what have ya at us" he said, lashing it onto the side of his saddlebags, then strapping them on.

He picked up his trusty Steton, looking at it.  A royal guard helmet would have made him feel safer, not that he owned one.  But he couldn't go out without his lucky hat!  With one hoof he plopped it on his head and pulled it low over his eyes.  All ready, he opened the door for Willow Wisp to step outside first, as a gentlestallion should, admiring her fine form as she stepped outside.  The blue glow became more prominent as she moved further away from the warm, yellow light of his house.  Compliments flitted across his mind.  'you have such a bright flank' didn't sound right.  'you look so spooky' was right out.  It was lovely, but how does one compliment an errie, magical aura that he was sure she was sensitive about?  C'mon braeburn, you could do it!  "Well, shucks, Willow, yer purdy as th' glow showin' o'er the last hill b'fore home."

-----

The desert glowed in brilliant colors in the setting sun - the rich clay of the area giving the cliffs wonderful reds and yellows even at high noon, muchless as sunset's light caused the colors to glow like flame.  Atop one cliff stood an ancient, gnarled old dead tree, the dried out old wood only still erect because of the equally dry desert.  Its shadow lengthened and stretched over the top of the cliff as the sun swelled on the horizon, and then finally the sun disappeared.  The shadow, however, remained, peeling itself up off of the ground.  it was a tall, narrow, spindly black pony with hollow, sunken eyes showing only the faintest of purple sparks floating in its face.  Easily more than twice as tall as a normal pony, but so skinny that every bone showed against its black hide.

Nalusa Falaya had slept a long time since the Buffalo had left this part of the desert, bored and lethargic with none to mischief in the night, but recently sport had come to his home once more.  He flickered as one hoof stepped forward, and suddenly he was several yards ahead of where he'd been standing.  Each slow, ponderous step made the shadowy pony flicker and end up much further forward than he had been a moment ago.

He paused atop the mesa as he peered down at the flickering lights below - a campfire, and the researchers staying close to it against the upcoming dark night, sharing an evening meal together.  The campfire made one boulder cast an even darker shadow across the dark desert, and Nalusa Falaya stepped into that shadow, flowing into it like water.  In the camp, he stepped out of the shadow of one of the tents, crouched over, with his long neck peering around the side to see the researchers.  The purple sparks of his eyes glimmered more brightly, and a dark grin spread across his face, as he gestured with one hoof.  One of the sticks holding up the camp's cookpot glimmered with purple light and then snapped, dropping the potatoe-and-carrot soup into the fire and mostly extinguishing it, sending dinner seeping into the sand to the scrambling exclaimations of the hungry scientists.

The dark, spectral pony let out a slow, vicious, chuckling hiss at the dismay of the scientists.

-----

"So that poor lil' unicorn foal went jumping out of th' top of th' tree, tryin' t'fly.  Ah dunno what she was thinkin', she don't have no wings!  Fortunately one of th' pegasus ponies around managed t'catch them both afore they hit th' ground, but it was a close call.  Near t' stopped mah heart, seein' that lil' foal fallin' like that.  She was th' most peculiar lil' pony Ah'd ever met!"  The two had been walking for quite some time, and were getting close to the researcher's camp, and Braeburn was certainly enjoying the journey more than the destination, spending the time swapping stories with the lovely, glowing mare.

• 2 weeks later...

"Trying to fly? Shoot, if Grimmy ever tried anything like that I'd probably pass out. I'm glad he's a smart little colt. Though he needs to get over his shyness a little. I know he's worried about how others will think of him, especially because thanks to his ever present saddle bags, they don't know he's still without a Cutie Mark. He's worried if that gets out he'll be teased, even though there are other little ones in the same stable."

Willow Wisp enjoyed sharing stories. And she kept repeating his compliment about her glow over and over in her mind. She didn't admit to it, but it was something she tended to be a little self conscious about. It was a unique trait and it often startled other ponies. She couldn't control it really, it just happened. And as they drew near the camp and the sunset was fading, it just seemed to get brighter.

She quickly shook the thoughts from her mind as they came upon the camp. Smoke was rising from the smoldering wood of the fire that had been doused with soup. The research team seemed to be in a bit of commotion over whatever had happened. Something just didn't seem right, but she couldn't put her hoof on it. So drawing a deep breath she walked up to the camp site and looked around.

"What happened here? You all seem upset."

"Our soup just collapsed into the fire! It happened so fast. That stick was sturdy enough it shouldn't have snapped!" One of the ponies replied.

"That's no good." Wisp shook her head. "But we have some snacks, we can share."

• 2 weeks later...

Braeburn felt relived as he and Willow Wisp came upon the researchers, a half dozen unicorns who were stereotypically overdressed like one would expect academics living in Canterlot would be for an expedition into "the wild", goofy explorer hats, tan and beige jackets with an overabundance of mostly empty pockets, and huge cumbersome backpacks with all kind of assortments hanging off the sides.  The goldenrod stallion half expected to find some malevolent, glowing lantern in the middle of the camp with all the researchers helplessly trapped inside after some foolish hubris that allowed it to awaken once again.  Instead he found the lot safe and sound but upset about their soup falling into the fire, something he immediately choked up to inexperience.

Despite his general dismissive view of the researchers, he was more than willing to go along with Willow Wisp's offer of sharing their own provisions, he was an Appleloosian after all, and helping those found in the foreboding wilderness around the settlement was a matter of town honor.  "Y'all are in luck, w'all have some tasty apple based treats!  Dried apple slices, apple fritters, apple cake, apple chintney, apple-tatter pancakes, 'course y'all have reheat 'em…  That's alright though, Ah have matches, so don't fret none over ah little fire mishap, we'll get y'all warm an' feed lickity split!  Oh!  by the way, Ah'm Braeburn, and this lovely lady is mah marefriend, Willow Wisp!" 

As Braeburn flushed slightly at publicly stating how he saw Wiilow, he didn't have to ponder on it before an older unicorn mare with a light lavender coat and a darker grayish-purple mane stepped forward, "My name is Pure Theory, but you can call me Purity, all my friends do, and thank you for your kindness.  You're  happening to come by hear is the first bit of good luck we had today."

"How do y'all mean?"

"Well earlier this evening Morning Glow burnt her hoof when her candle suddenly tipped over spilled hot wax on her, nearly running her notes.  Comet Tail has a bumped noggin from when a tent collapsed, the main pole having fallen on his head.  Starlight Twinkle broke her leg from when the strap on a pile of supplies suddenly snapped, sending a bunch of barrels into her.  Thing is none of makes any sense, there was no wind when the candle fell over, and the strap was tied tight, checked, and rechecked, but it has been one thing after another! But at least the lantern is safe!"

Braeburn looked to Willow with an expression of concern, wondering if she felt anything "unusual" that he and the others couldn't, hoping against hope that it was just all one long series of coincidences.

Unbeknownst to the ponies nearby, hidden among the boulders sitting just outside of the campsite, concealed in the shadows under the moonlit skies stood the Nalusa Falaya, it's face featureless except for an eerie wide smile of white that stretched from ear to ear on the otherwise pitch black head, for now there were even more ponies to toy with for its amusement.

• 2 weeks later...

Marefriend. Willow Wisp blushed a bit at that. She didn't mind that introduction one bit, but she was still embarrassed. She felt lucky that the light was a bit dim so nopony probably saw.

However she found herself soon snapped out of her thoughts as she listened to the list of bad luck the researchers had been having. Something just didn't seem right. It was one thing to have an accident, but a whole string of them? Perhaps it was because of the Spirit Lantern, but it was still safely trapped in it's own personal prison. And she never heard of bad luck coming from just being around one. Something else must have been going on.

"Sounds like you have been struggling." She finally spoke, trying not to let on to her suspicions. If there was another force at work she didn't want to make anypony panic."Hopefully your luck will start looking up. Especially if I can do my job."

She looked to the group for a moment before pulling out the book. "I'm here on a special assignment from my father, Historic Antiquity and..."

"Did you say Historic Antiquity? As in THE Historic Antiquity, renown pony archeologist and researcher?" One of the group stepped forward looking rather excited. "He's published so many field journals and books about all his studies! He's amazing! And your his daughter?" He took her hoof for a shake. "Maxwell Silverhammer at your service. What can we do for you?"

Wisp was a little taken a back by the excitement, but it wasn't the first time somepony got worked up when she mentioned her father's name. He was rather well known. She just smiled though and glanced from the book to the Spirit Lantern and then back to the group.

"This is The Book of 100 Spirits. It's a powerful tome that holds the pieces of a huge and dangerous creature. It was split into 100 pieces, each one held on it's own page. But some of the pages are blank, meaning the parts have escaped into our world. I believe the Spirit Lantern is one of the missing parts and I've come to try and put it back into the book. It'll be much safer to have it sealed away where it can't get out and cause more trouble. Perhaps getting it put away will stop your bad luck."

She said it with a hopeful voice, but she wasn't certain. She felt an eerie presence and didn't know what to make of it. Perhaps the group was being targeted by some other force, and if that was the case, it was something to look into. Bad luck commonly is tied to unusual creatures, at least in her experiences.

• 3 weeks later...

Braeburn was amazed at the instant welcome that the reputation of Willow’s father summoned – the food they’d brought probably helped as well, but the sheer awe they had at her father’s name amazed Braeburn.  Heck, Willow was the most knowledgeable scholar of spooky subjects he knew, and he thought she was really smart – if her father commanded this sort of respect, he must be a genius!  From the researchers’ tale thus far, it felt something was ahoof, but what, he had no clue since he was a complete novice when it came to magic or the supernatural.

But something was definitely odd with Willow Wisp.    “Hey Willow, y’all have a pinkish glow now, does that mean anythang special like?  Should w’all be on the lookout for somethin’ dangerous?”  Was that some indication something supernatural was in the immediate area, or a visible detection of mysterious magic at work?  He looked about, hoping he was just imagining things, and that everything was just a combination of bad luck and researchers inexperienced in the Painted Pinto life.

All that aside, though, even as he was talking and craning his neck, he was already passing out the apple-tastic treats.  The Apple Family knew from a young age that it didn’t matter what sort of dire situation it was – apple family home cooking was a balm for any strained spirit.  And the researchers responded positively, all of them hungry from the long day’s researching and the spoilt dinner.

In the shadows, the tall, emaciated dark figure let out an annoyed hiss.  That newcomer pony with the large hat was ruining the mischief!  They were smiling and laughing. When he wanted bare bellies and a poor night’s sleep!  He’d teach that cowpony to ruin the delicious misery he’d crafted!

Behind Braeburn’s back, the researcher’s wagon lost its chocks – tugged out to the side so the wheels were free.  Slowly, then picking up speed, the wagon started to roll, heading right for the oblivious cowpony who was busy handing Starlight Twinkle a delicious apple fritter.

Oh Celestia, he'd seen her blush. She couldn't play off the pinkish hue to her as anything else other than embarrassment. Maybe she could blame it on the praise for her father. Either way she had fallen quiet while Braeburn busied himself handing out goodies.

Perhaps it was a good thing she was zoned out of the activity, because she caught sight of the chaos about to unfold. The wagon was rolling right for Braeburn and the ponies he was feeding. Without giving it much taught she shouted, "Watch Out!" And then with a blast of magic did her best to halt the wayward cart.

The wagon creaked with strain as Willow Wisp focused all her energy on making it stop. And just in the nick of time it ceased in it's rolling and came to a stand still. However, thanks to her unique style of magic, the wagon now how a spooky make over. The wood had gone black and it was creaking. The spokes of the wheels had cobwebs strung between them. Over all it looked aged like a wagon that had been long since abandon in the desert. It didn't always happen; but she really had to focus to prevent cosmetic changes to things she used her magic on. And on this occasion she was focused on just getting it to stop.

She let out a sigh of relief. "Something just isn't right around here. You've all been having bad luck and a wagon doesn't just go on a rampage by itself." Her eyes trailed over to the Spirit Lantern. Surely it couldn't be the cause of the trouble. Even if it were a bad luck charm, it sounded like all the trouble had been recent, but the researchers had been around the lantern for awhile.

"Maybe I should get that," she pointed a hoof toward the Spirit Lantern, "sealed up in this book... then we can try to figure out what is going on around. Especially before anypony gets wagon rolled."

• 3 weeks later...

Braeburn was digging through his saddlebag to pull out more apple grain bars for the researchers when he heard Willow Wisp yell in his direction to look out.  The goldenrod stallion’s head suddenly looked up and darted from side to side as he tried to spot what the danger was, only at the last moment he managed to spot the runaway cart in the dark near the campsite bearing down on him.

Before Braeburn could attempt to get out of way, the cart ground to a halt in a glow of eerie blue magic, transforming it into a dark, gothic version of itself that looked more at home in a haunted house attraction than in the desert.  Regardless of the spooky design the wagon now sported, Braeburn only sighed in relief, “thanks Willow, good thinkin’ on yer hooves!”  He got to his hooves and followed the path of the wagon up the slope.  “Naw, no worries, Willow.  Th’ chocks jes’ slipped free an’ it was rollin’ down th’ dune.  y’all need to be more careful when yer settin’ up yer wagons!”  He was used to how these fancy learnin’ sorts got all distracted on the day-to-day stuff while they were busy with their brainy stuff.

Far from heeding Braeburn’s advice, the researchers ignored him as they rushed over to the cart in fascination, pulling out all sorts of small instruments with their magic, gleefully inspecting the cart as they talked among themselves and started to write down on their notepads, completely enthralled by unique magical transformation. 

Braeburn just looked at Willow in confusion; fortunately she was already one step ahead with her idea about sealing up the lantern in her book.  Any concern Braeburn had over the researchers objecting to the idea was muted by the fact they were too focused on their latest “discovery”.  With trepidation, he quietly trotted over to where the lantern was, still covered in a large brown sheet, and peeked underneath; it looked to be completely inert.  Feeling it was safe enough, he hoped, Braeburn waved Willow over.  Hopefully she could place the lantern in the book with a minimum of fuss.

Nearby in the darkness, behind a small outcropping or rocks, eerie red eyes suddenly glowed with interest as a sinister roll of sharp teeth widened with an evil smile.  Although disappointed that the cart was stopped, this was more than made up by something far, far more fascinating than the usual crop of victims; it now wanted something more than mere dark amusement, it wanted the blue maned unicorn mare, or more specifically her unique spooky magic, and it was determined to get it!  What magnificent miserableness it could muster with such a mighty and maudlin magic!

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe Braeburn was right, the wagon could have just come loose, but something about the whole thing just seemed off. Still there was no reason to fret about it. Hopefully getting the Spirit Lantern sealed away would help her shake the uneasy feeling something strange was going on.

She could only roll her eyes at the all the researchers as they looked over the wagon. Was it really all that strange for magic to change the way things looked. Other ponies had magic that could add flare to items, so why was her making something spooky so excitable? Either way it kept the researchers busy and out of the way as she worked on sealing the creature away in the book.

Walking over Willow Wisp looked at the lantern and then pulled out the book. She remember the instructions well, she just had to read the first page of the book to activate the spell that would trap the Spirit Lantern between the pages where it belonged. Flipping the book open she scanned over the words before reading them aloud.

"From dawn to dawn

and dusk to dusk

may the spirits be kept safe

may they do no wrong.

Of 100 parts

may all be in peace

may all the spirits rest

connected by one heart.

I call upon the magic

I call about the seal

I call out the spirits

I command them to slumber."

There was a bright flash of light and the Spirit Lantern suddenly lit up. It shook where it sat and glowed an eerie blue as it seemed magic enveloped it. Suddenly a blast of energy blew through the pages of the book and it landed on an empty page. The energy then drew the Spirit Lantern toward the book and in a flash it was sucked inside. Words suddenly appeared on the page along with a picture of the creature. The book continued to glow for a moment but as soon as it faded Willow Wisp shut it and drew a deep breath.

"There we got that taken care of. But I still feel like something is going on around here. Are you sure that wagon just came loose?" She eyed Braeburn cautiously. "I mean on top of all the other bad luck these ponies have been having it seems like the icing on the cake."

• 3 weeks later...

Braeburn was surprised at how easy it had been.  Just a simple recitation, and a quick flash of light ... he'd been expecting some sort of crazy, life-threatening danger.  Not a quick spell and done.  Then again, he wasn't Applejack, and this wasn't Ponyville, where something crazy happened every other week.  The worst they'd had was some misunderstandings with the Buffalo and an overenthusiastic rodeo clown.  Not that he'd been scared or anything, but that didn't mean he couldn't be relieved that it was all over!

"That was right neatly done theah, Willow.  But don't you worry yer head none bout that wagon - y'all took care of that right proper, jes like th' lantern.  Not everythin's some sorta critter or supernatural varmint.  City-type scholarly folk, they're real clever an' all, but they get caught up in their projects, don'tchaknow?  Get all distracted, an' ferget t' worry bout stuff like wagon-hitchin, or campfire safety, or cookin', or tent-stakin', or any of those sort of things."

"No real point on us walkin' back t'night.  I was 'spectin' fer that t'take a lot longer, so I brought a tent along.  If y'all don' 'ave a tent of yer own, y'all could certainly share mine, it's big enough fer two."  He gave a big grin to the smaller mare, red touching his cheeks.

He would have gone on, but by that point, the researchers had come upon them, complaining loudly about Willow having removed the spirit they'd been studying!  Though one researcher piped up that he wouldn't mind studying the book instead, if she was willing to stay around for a little while ... by any chance, could he remove a page and test it for its properties?  He'd only need to burn a little of it...

Braeburn gave a 'see what I mean?' look to Willow Wisp.

The dark shadow recoiled when it saw the lantern drawn into the book.  It knew of the lantern, it had intended to culminate its mischief in tricking one of the researchers to open up the lantern and release the spirit to devour the camp and terrorize the desert once again.  Yet now ... it was gone.  Into ... that book.  That book.  It knew that book.  It knew the things in that book, and how it felt to be trapped within.  It was never, EVER, going to go back into that book again ... but ...

If it could release its fellow prisoners ...

Oh, the mischief it could feed upon ...

Archived