Return to Stalliongrad [Closed: DerpRavener and RedCedar]

RedCedar

Red Cedar stood on the train station platform, gazing down the tracks that stretched and wound to the south, waiting eagerly for the train to arrive. Normally, it was because he was about to embark on another vacation to some far off corner of Equestria, but this time he didn't even have his saddlebags with him. This was something much better.

Naj was coming back to Stalliongrad to see him, and this time, he felt certain, would be a lot less stressful for them both. Indeed, after an invasion and being presented to Princess Celestia herself, it could hardly have been anywhere near.

Red took a deep breath to try and calm down a little, before his excitement got the better of him, standing on the platform and leaning out to try and make out an approaching train.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Naj lay back on a convenient bench in the train, in her mostly-black pegasus 'disguise'.  She still couldn't quite get herself to drop it around other ponies...but hey, it certainly had its uses.  As it was she'd been able to nap for for the duration of the trip, rather than having to deal with curious, or more likely panicky ponies.  She had a chance to rest this way, and pass a good portion of the train ride.  As much as she could appreciate the view, there was only so much enjoyment one could get from watching the scenery.

Naj was roused from her thoughts, and her catnap, by the announcement of the next station.  She did a quick mental check and looked around, which proved unnecessary as the conductor announced the next station as Stalliongrad.  This was it.  After a few weeks roaming, for official reasons or otherwise, she'd finally come back.  She generally enjoyed travelling, but she liked the return all the same.

As the train pulled in, Naj spotted a certain red earth pony waiting on the platform, and leaned out the window to wave at him.  Pulling herself back inside, she waited patently for the train to come to a stop and for ponies to start getting off before disembarking herself.  Though she wasn't in any particular hurry, she broke into a half-gallop once she hit the platform herself, running up to Red Cedar and throwing him into a hug.  She didn't yet release him as she smiled and spoke.  “It's good to see you again.”

Red's eyes lit up as he saw a familiar black pegasus with the eyes the colour of the sky wave to him from the train, waving back to her from the platform. A few minutes afterwards, Naj ran up to him for a hug, which he eagerly returned, nuzzling her cheek as he did. "It's good to see you, too. I missed you," he confessed into her ear.

After a long moment spent just enjoying the closeness of her once again, he slowly let her go from the hug, smiling. "How was the train ride? Do you have any bags? Where did you go while you were away?" It might have been a quite the barrage of questions all at once, but Red was eager to get started on catching up.

"How was the train ride? Do you have any bags? Where did you go while you were away?"

It wasn't long after their embrace ended that questions began.  It made sense, neither had seen each other for some time, some catching up was in order.  Naj answered as best she could, though there were a few things she wasn't certain of, even if she'd been the one doing it.  The pace was a little quick, but she caught up easily enough.  “The trip was good, though I spent a lot of it asleep.  Bags? Hah!”  She broke out in a grin.  “When have you even known me to use bags?  I'm a mare of few needs.  As for where I went...”  She scratched the back of her head, unsure of just how much she should say.  Much as she didn't like hiding things from Red, there were a few details that she probably shouldn't give away.  “Ehh, around.  You know me, I like to wander.  Though...I've kinda been avoiding Ponyville, if I'm being honest.”

“And what about you,” Naj said, shifting topic a bit as she started to walk away from the platform, with a bit of bounce in her step.  It was good to be back.  “It's been weeks!  Anything big happen in Stalliongrad?  Been on any trips lately yourself?”

Red smiled, listening as he walked with Naj out of the station and towards his home, a little extra spring in his own canter as well. Naj was a little vague about exactly where she had gone, but Red didn't seem to mind, really. Knowing her, if Naj was reluctant to talk about something in the open she felt there was a good reason not to. He'd probably find out in due time.

"Anything big happen in Stalliongrad?  Been on any trips lately yourself?” she asked.

Red had to shake his head. "Thankfully, no," he said. After their last disastrous vacation together, he had been very mindful of just how close his home city was to the island home of the caribou, so when he said so, it was with a bit of relief, as though he were thankful for the quiet. "I didn't go too far, either. Spent a couple weekends camping in the woods around town, but that was it. I didn't want to go too far from here in case you came back while I was gone."

After a few minutes walking, he asked, "Anything you're looking forward to doing while you're here?"

Particularly given some of the recent events, it was good to hear that nothing overly exciting was happening.  Naj wasn't as happy to hear that he'd kept himself in town for her sake though.  “That's sweet,” she blushed a little, “but you shouldn't have to do that.  If I get to roam around Equestria you shouldn't be forced to stay here.  I know you like to travel.”  Logistics for that could be a little complicated, but she was certain with a bit of effort they could figure out something a little more fair.  Maybe that should wait until they get in the house though.

"Anything you're looking forward to doing while you're here?"

“Spending time with you~” Naj gave Red a playful peck on the cheek.  “But in all seriousness, not really.  I haven't even thought about it that much.  Just relaxing in the house for a few days sounds like heaven.”  She scratched her chin in thought for a moment.  “I suppose there were a couple things though, I might explore Stalliongrad a bit while I'm here.  If I'm gonna end up living around here, it's a good idea to familiarize myself with the city right?”  She smiled at Red, before suddenly frowning.  “And there's one thing I'd like your help with.  Or at least to talk to you about, and maybe help.”  She looked at the other ponies walking about, not actually nervous but with a little hesitation.  Rationally she knew none of them would pay her any attention, but this particular thought still gave her pause.  “Though I think I'd rather wait to discuss until we're inside.”

Red smiled to Naj as they walked. "Don't worry about it. I was glad to just enjoy the woods for a couple weekends. We can work something out, I'm sure." he said. After all, they were able to arrange trips together while she had been living in Ponyville, so they were sure to come to some sort of arrangement.

Red smiled at the kiss on his cheek. Certainly, spending time with Naj was foremost on his mind, too. He nodded as she said that she wanted to explore more of Stalliongrad, but then she piqued his curiosity as she mentioned something she might have needed his help with, and as it was something she wanted to wait to talk about until they were alone, he could guess it was probably quite important to her, and perhaps a source of anxiety. He just nodded, adding, "Well, you know I'll help you any way I can," and then leaving it at that until they rounded a bend in the road, and Red's small house was now in view, looking much the way it had before.

As he opened the door and let Naj in, he smiled. "Here we are. Want me to draw the curtains for you?" he asked, knowing how much she liked being in her natural form. Sure, her black pegasus disguise was a subtle, pony-friendly way of admitting she was a changeling, but it was still a disguise.

Inside the house looked much the same as it had before, except for one prominent new addition to the walls. Hanging above the fireplace's mantle, resting in three large brass hooks, polished and gleaming, was a particularly large sword.

Of course Red would be willing to help.  And Naj hadn't even told him what it was yet.  It was just as well, much as she didn't want to take advantage, Naj was sure she would need the help before too long.   Either way, she was a little anxious to get back to the house now, having something big to talk about.

She was quite happy when Red's house appeared around the bend.  A part of her wanted to bound forward, eager to get the conversation underway, but she was too relaxed and found herself making only a leisurely trot.  The road wasn't too long anyhow, they reached the cozy house soon enough.

Naj found that the interior was much the same as she remembered it, much the the outside, save one thing: there was now a good sized, well polished sword mounted above the fireplace.  Naj looked at it with a wry grin.  “Nice,” she said.  She found it a little odd that he'd keep a memento from that day, but she supposed it was a rare occasion that one helps bring down a giant sky snake.  She could understand taking some pride in that.

"Here we are. Want me to draw the curtains for you?"

“Hmm?”  It took her a second to hear Red's question.  “Well, I...”  Naj stopped.  A part of her liked the idea.  Several months of learned instincts, supported by a changeling upbringing, told her that it was the only safe course of action.

And yet, her whole train of thought revolved around not hiding.  At least, not when she didn't need to.  And she did like the idea of being able to see the outside.  After some hesitation, she spoke again.  “You know what?  Let's leave them open today.”  She only backpedalled a little.  “Well, maybe close the ones on the upper floor.  But that can wait.”

Taking a breath, she dropped her disguise and then flopped onto the couch.  She let out a contented sigh.  As silly as it seemed, she'd missed this couch.

Red smirked as Naj commented on his living room's newest decoration. "You like that?" he asked. "It is definitely the most unique souvenir I ever brought back from a vacation. I'm not even totally sure why I did. I mean, I never want to use the thing again, but it somehow seemed too important to just leave behind." The fact that it was also the same sword he used to forcibly remove a caribou from doing any more harm to Naj, however, had always stayed in the back of his mind.

Red was a little surprised when Naj declined the offer to draw the curtains before lowering her disguise. He hoped it was a sign of her gradually increasing comfort around other ponies, but whatever the reason, it gave him a rare opportunity to see her in her natural form under natural light. Though he'd spent a great deal of time with her, he found there was always something new to discover about her when she wasn't in a disguise, like how the sunlight reflecting off her exoskeleton would diffuse into a muted rainbow against the sheen of her black carapace.

Red sat sown beside Naj and, now that she was back in her normal form, leaned over to kiss her cheek softly. "Welcome back," he said, smiling. "So, tell me what's on your mind that you need help with."

It was...oddly liberating to be in her natural form in daylight.  Naj could only suppose it was because it so rarely happened.  Or at least, it seemed very rare when should could afford it.  Red seemed surprised at her behaviour, though also a little appreciative?  She couldn't blame him, it was a pleasantly odd experience for her too.  Though she couldn't help casting occassional glances at the window.

"So, tell me what's on your mind that you need help with."

There it was.  And this way Naj could explain her sudden dropping of her disguise, to boot.  “Well...” she was still struggling with talking about it apparently, though.  “Something's been on my mind lately.   I haven't been completely honest to folks, I think.  About what I am.”  She raised her hooves.  “Okay, so hesitation is kinda justified.  But I'm supposed to be helping bridge the gap between species, right?  And yet the best I can manage is a deliberately flawed pegasus disguise.  And nopony's even noticed!”  She shook her hooves, venting some of her frustration.

She sighed.  “Ponyville.  I lived there for several months, and still spend some time there.  I know some ponies that I like to keep up with.  But here's the thing, none of them know I'm a changeling.  I feel like I should tell them, some time soon, for all kinds of reasons.  But I can't bring myself to do it.  I'm afraid.”  She looked to Red from her spot on the couch.  “I think I need help.”

Red listened, sympathetically, as Naj described her dilemma. Of course, she'd been disguised the entire time she was living in Ponyville, and for good reason, but now some of those ponies she'd known longer than she'd known him needed to know the truth. It made sense to tell them, now that she no longer had to worry about being taken by the guards, but the apprehension was understandable. When she'd shown him, they hardly knew each other. It would have been nothing to throw on a new disguise and hide again if he hadn't been so accommodating. When it came to those ponies who'd known 'Spring Breeze' since she came to town, who knew what kind of reactions to expect.

Nodding, he said, "Well, I can come with you to Ponyville, that's not a problem. That way, when you tell a pony, they can see right away there's at least one other who knows and is okay with it." He leaned back a bit on the couch, still looking to her eyes. "I can even tell them what it was like when we saw Princess Celestia, if they're curious." he added with a smile, though that then faded. "Some of them may not be able to accept it. They may be angry or scared, but I suppose you knew that. If that's the case all we can do is live and let live."

“Thanks,” Naj said, placing a perforated hoof over one of Red's. “I mean that, it'll be a big help.”  She was feeling a little more relaxed just hearing it.  Not that she'd expected him to refuse, but expectations and actually hearing it were two different things.

If only that were the only concern on her mind.  Naj sighed.  “Living and letting live might be an issue though.  It's fine if they don't accept me, I can get over that.  If they pull out the torches and pitchforks that's a different sort of problem.  Especially if it's both of us involved.”  She rested her hooves on her stomach, as she laid on the couch and thought.  “Most of my ideas revolve around escape routes.  The nearby woods present some useful options.”  She chuckled to herself.  “Though at one point I wondered if I should wear a sign around my neck saying-” she held her hooves out in front of her, mimicking holding a signboard, “-'I'm friendly!  Honest!'  But I'm not sure that would be taking the issue seriously.”

She looked at Red.  “I don't suppose you've got any ideas?”  Crowd management wasn't really his area of expertise, so maybe it was asking a bit much of him.  But that didn't mean he couldn't have any ideas, or offer assurances that Ponyville wouldn't be quite so violent.  In a certain rational sense, Naj would expect 'flight' rather than 'fight' given the town's track record, which would be easier to work around.  She just couldn't help but imagine the worst at the moment.

Red chuckled at the idea of wearing a sign as a show of sincerity as well, but of course, if any pony needed proof of her being friendly, well, he would be there to vouch for that. As for the rest, Naj had some entirely valid concerns and they were troubling her to the point of wondering whether or not she would have to run for her life. He liked to think other ponies would at least be willing to hear her out, but he wasn't so naive as to think every pony would.

He rubbed Naj's hoof with his own gently. "I think the easiest way to avoid a mob is not to start with one in the first place." he said. "Don't tell everypony at once. Do what you did with me. Ask each pony you want to tell to meet you somewhere quiet to talk, with nopony else around, and then explain and show them. If they accept it, great. If they don't, they won't be in a position to do much harm on their own, and we can at least prove to them that you have Princess Celestia's backing. That should discourage them from taking matters into their own hooves later." He smiled back to her, trying to look reassuring. "Ponyville seems like a pretty friendly place overall, from the times I've been there, so I doubt we'll run into too much trouble."

Naj spent a few quiet moments thinking over Red's idea.  “That could work.  Not sure I could manage the whole town one by one, and there are a few ponies I'm not eager to spend time alone with,” she stopped for a second, thinking of a certain orange mare and said pony's stance on changelings, “but smaller groups at least might keep things from getting too out of hoof.”  And make it easier to flee, though in an effort to keep positive she didn't say it.

Naj sat it silence for a moment, thinking things over in her head.  “I'm not sure the best way to go about it though.”  She scratched her chin.  “I could talk to the mayor maybe, see if I could borrow a room, and get official sanction.  Or maybe the princess.”  She paused again, reminding herself that Ponyville had recently acquired a royal resident, after a fashion.  It had a certain appeal to it, the 'princess of friendship' would probably have more reason than most to want peaceful coexistence.  “Come to think of it, I should probably inform somepony official first, either way.”

Red nodded as Naj started to formulate some sort of a plan out loud in front of him. "That would be a good idea," he agreed. "In fact, tell both the Princess and the Mayor. Show them the letter from Celestia. That way your status is confirmed by those in charge before anypony else gets any ideas. And don't worry about being alone with anypony. I was beside you when we saw Celestia, this will be a piece of cake by comparison."

He leaned back a little as another thought crossed his mind. Maybe it was a sense of thoroughness coming through, or her eagerness to make progress in mending fences between ponies and changelings, but he decided to ask her reasons anyway. "Would you have to tell the whole town to start?" he asked. "I mean, I think the most important ponies to tell first would be the ones you're closest to, the ones you want to keep in touch with. Let them know you're being honest with them because they're important to you. As for the rest of town, well, they can find out through the grapevine. Might even be better that way. Those that don't have any problem that you're a changeling will tell others, and get them talking and thinking about the whole idea before they're even confronted with a changeling." He smirked a little as his thoughts carried on to their conclusion. "That way, they know what's coming, and don't get shocked when they suddenly see a changeling in front of them in a garden." he said, smiling, his hoof rubbing her shoulder lightly.

Naj blinked, caught by surprise.  “That...Those are really good points.  I hadn't even thought about that, I'd been so worried about the reaction to me I hadn't thought of the town.”  She nodded to herself.  "Start with the local princess," she confirmed.

Red's next point was to ask just who it was she needed to tell, and how she was prioritizing.  The answer to that one wasn't going to be quite so straight forward.  “Well, that's the thing,” Naj said, rubbing the back of her head, “there aren't really any specific ponies I need to tell.  I never got that close to anyone, the fact that you were the only pony I deliberately revealed myself to there shows that.”  She took a moment to figure out exactly what she wanted to say.  “I guess I feel more like I owe it to Ponyville itself.  I lived there for almost year, though it was a struggle at times my needs were met.  I think I became a common sight, and I'd hate to leave it unresolved.  All that, and then if I'm going to start revealing myself somewhere, I kinda like the idea of doing it where ponies kinda know of me already.  Once you get past the initial hurdle, I think it'll be easier with something to work off of.”  Naj frowned.  “I hope anyways.”

Naj suddenly shook her head.  It was an important subject, and one she liked the idea of having solved, but not necessarily the most cheerful of subjects.  When the opportunity arose she changed the subject.  Looking over at Red, she asked, “So you say you've been travelling locally these days, find any new places or just revisiting old favorites?”

Red nodded as he listened. He could understand her desire to be honest with ponies in her adopted hometown. After that, who knew, but telling Equestria as a whole there was a legal changeling resident now without saying exactly who would have made the revelation less unexpected later, at least, so he thought.

“So you say you've been travelling locally these days, find any new places or just revisiting old favorites?”

Red smiled. "Old favourites, really. I mean, I know all the trails and hills and streams around Stalliongrad. I've even created a couple new trails over the years. It was just a couple days spent sleeping outdoors to help me get back to nature. After that trip to the Crystal Empire, it was almost therapeutic." he said, obviously having enjoyed time spent away from the city and in natural surroundings, if his expression was anything to go by. "I know you said you weren't too crazy about nature, but I'd love to take you camping sometime. It can be quite relaxing out there, away from the rush of living in a town."

Naj chuckled to herself at Red's response, it seeming kind of obvious after the fact.  “Heh, fair enough.”  Of course he hadn't found any really new places, he'd lived here his whole life and found a job which kept him outdoors.  Of course he would have found all the good spots by now.  He also said that he found it helpful after the stresses of the Crystal Faire.  Understatement of the year right there Naj felt, though she didn't feel the need to say as much.

"I know you said you weren't too crazy about nature, but I'd love to take you camping sometime. It can be quite relaxing out there, away from the rush of living in a town."

“Hey now,” Naj replied, “I may not be as passionate about it as you, but I still enjoy nature as much as the next mare.”  She'd always found the forest kind of comforting in an odd way, being difficult to navigate with plenty of hiding spots and hidden dangers made a great escape route back when she was still in hiding.  Of course, she'd also spent the worst week of her life in the wilderness.  She scratched the back of her head.  “Although, I guess I have had kind of a complicated relationship with it...still, camping sounds fun.”  She grinned all of a sudden.  “And hey, you can show me all the best spots!”

Red nodded enthusiastically at the suggestion of being able to show Naj the best camping sites around Stalliongrad. "There's this plateau on one of the smaller mountains," he explained. "It faces away from the city so you only see trees and hills and the river. The sunsets from up there are gorgeous."

He paused there a moment, just looking to her, glad she was back again, before adding, "But, anyway, there's still the rest of today to think about. Are you hungry? Or thirsty? Or anything I can get you?" he asked. Sure, asking if she was hungry might have been a bit of a stretch but it was something he was used to asking of ponies and so he kept on doing so.

Naj nodded and smiled.  “That does sound nice.”  She might not have been as enthusiastic as Red was about a nature hike, but it did sound like it would be an impressive view.

And more than that, the changeling couldn't help but find Red's enthusiasm a little infectious.  She liked seeing him like this, and hoped to get more of it.  It didn't hurt that this would solve her food situation for the foreseeable future, though she'd be a little embarrassed to admit it.  Still, she was looking forward to the eventual camping trip regardless.

"But, anyway, there's still the rest of today to think about. Are you hungry? Or thirsty? Or anything I can get you?"

Naj laughed, and shook her head.  “Right.  Not likely either one of us wants to run into the woods right away.”  Considering the question itself though, she came up at a loss.  All her needs seemed to be accounted for.  “Well, hunger will take care of itself,” she said eventually, “and I'm not really in desperate need of anything...”  She thought for a moment.  “Well, if you're offering, some tea might be nice.  I haven't had any in a while.”  Naj didn't NEED a whole lot, so an old indulgence had come to mind.  She wasn't sure what Red would have in that regard, as it was sort of an out-of-the-blue request.  But hey, she had a salary now, if he didn't have anything they could go shopping!

Red smirked as he stood up from the couch. "No, I definitely wasn't going to suggest a sudden hike the same day you came back." he said. "Anyway, tea it is," he added, trotting to the kitchen to put the kettle on. Tea was never in short supply in Red's house, as it as got him going in the morning as he had breakfast.

After a few moments Red came back carrying a small tray on which were two mugs, milk and sugar, and a pot of fresh hot tea. "There you are. Might just need another minute to get stronger." he said as he sat down again. "Do you know how long you'll be able to stay?" he asked, hoping it would be a while.

Naj was almost disappointed, that Red had tea, having lost the excuse.  Still, rationally she knew it didn't matter.  She could shop for tea and ask Red's help anytime she liked over the next few days, and truth be told she probably didn't need it, with this being the closest she had to a primary residence lately, she could probably borrow some as needed.

It didn't take long for Red to come back with the tea, though it would be a few minutes before it was worth drinking.  Naj looked at it longingly for only a second, before the conversation resumed.

"Do you know how long you'll be able to stay?"

Naj shrugged.  “I've got,” she thought for a moment, “two places at most where I have to be regularly, and that's count this as one of them.  So I can be here as long as I like, with just a few days absence every now and then.”  She smiled at Red.   She guessed Red had enough of an idea what she was about to talk about.  If not, she could always try to clarify.  There were a few things she absolutely couldn't say, but beyond those Red was a trustworthy pony, and Naj herself was unimportant enough to draw the wrong kind of attention.  “After seeing some of the ones who've been recruited, I doubt I'll ever be the critical pony.  I keep at the ready, and I make sure to report in every so often, but I'm not expecting to be kept occupied in the near future.  Most of my travelling lately has just been wanderlust.”  She smiled at Red again.  “I was thinking about spending more time around here.  Though, I was also hoping you and me could head to Ponyville every so often, together.”

Red nodded, listening to Naj describe what she needed to do on occasion when she wasn't in Stalliongrad. Naj had only talked to him in vague terms about what she was now doing, which was unusual, but he knew that if she had to keep something secret, there was a good reason. He was thrilled she had found something to do, as well, but the terms she used, like "recruited" and "report in", made him guess at what she was now doing, and it worried him a little, in the back of his mind.

“I was thinking about spending more time around here.  Though, I was also hoping you and me could head to Ponyville every so often, together.” she added.

Red smiled at that, as he poured out two mugs of tea, adding milk and sugar to his. "That sounds wonderful. As it is, Ponyville's one of my favourite vacation spots." he said, but then leaned back and looked at her again, a little more earnestly. "As for the rest of the time, well, I was wondering if, now that we've got things sorted out with Princess Celestia, you would like to move in here with me, permanently?" The nuance may have been lost on a being who normally lived in much closer quarters with everyone in her community, but he was still hopeful she would be willing.

Naj laughed lightly at Red's enthusiastic response.  She was very happy to have it confirmed, of course, but she still found it a little amusing.  Isn't that basically what she was doing anyways?  She nodded.  “That's exactly what I was thinking.  Or at least, as much as I'll make a permanent home anywhere I expect.”  Technically that wasn't an answer though, so after a moment's thought she followed up by saying, “I'd love to.  Though I might still wander around a bit.”

Naj felt oddly relieved.  Odd as none of this caught her by surprise, but it was still a good feeling.  It was more solid somehow, now that they'd both verbally agreed.  And she wouldn't have to abandon Ponyville either.

Though, she couldn't help but notice how Red's face had tightened a bit when Naj had explained what she'd been doing in the meantime.  He was worried about her.  He did a decent job of hiding it, but Naj had been doing that sort of thing for much longer than he had, and she knew him.  It made her think.  Naj could take care of herself, of the two she was the one who was combat trained.  But that didn't mean Red wouldn't worry when she disappeared for periods of time.

She wasn't sure what she could do about, it's not as though she could just stop.  She'd be abandoning obligations, and even if she didn't have any she doubted she'd just be able to accept a suddenly peaceful life.  Still, she wondered if there was some way she could give him some peace of mind.  It as a little convoluted, but still maybe worth a shot.  Seemingly out of the blue, she asked, “hey, do you have any interest in learning martial arts?”

Red smiled when Naj agreed to his suggestion. He figured she would, but the actual asking somehow made him a little nervous in anticipation. When she did, though, he couldn't really contain himself any longer. That huge smile still on his face, he leaned over and hugged her again, just as he had on the train platform. "Welcome home," he said to her this time, elated both that this was going to be her home and that she now had a place to call that.

He was still so pleased in the moment, after he released her and began to sip his tea, that it really did strike him as coming out of nowhere when she asked, “Hey, do you have any interest in learning martial arts?”

Red looked up at her with a blink in his eyes and a surprised look on his face. "Uhm, well, I hadn't considered it before, honestly." he replied, which was quite true. He may have been a fairly robust Earth Pony but he'd had little inclination to fight if he could possibly avoid it. The fact that he had come through one in the Crystal Empire unscathed was more due to opportunity and the element of surprise than skill, and was driven more by motivation than sense of duty. "Why, what did you have in mind?" he asked, curious.

Archived