[Ponyville] Scary Spooky Sharpteeth [closed]

Gerrard

It had been a long and tiring day in the perpetually hectic city of Ponyville. Some strange mishap with adults getting turned into foals, or so the troublemakers declared as they demanded to be changed 'back' into big kids. A tiger striped griffoness wasn't sure what all happened, but there was tons of yanking and grabbing on her feathers and tail. She wasn't looking forward to flying home in the dark and had opted to clean herself up before deciding on how to pass the night by. The sloshing of water snuck into the periphery of her perception, inspiring her with her first task of the evening. She had to clean the grime of kid sober and street dust from her battered form. While a normal pony might have sought out a quiet place to clean off, Aquaria was no normal pony! The rose-colored eyes of the hybrid stared back at herself in the fountain as she tried to contemplate a way to sneak past the similar looking guard who was trying to stop her potential bath. Little did the guard know, nothing could stop her this evening, especially not her excitable reflection!

With a quick lunge, the weary lifeguard 'snuck past' her reflection and landed in the cold water with a splash. A normal pony might have shivered, but Aquaria simply rolled her white and black form in the water, the lifeguard used to cold water from her swimming in the sea. Her feathers sucked in the water as she played in the fountain, splashing water on the empty city streets. She quickly started swimming in the cramped quarters, looking for fish, her excited eyes unable to spot any at all! "They must have gone south for winter," she thought to herself, giggling at her own 'misfortune'. Her misfortune was quickly rewarded as she saw the glint of Luna's moon on a loose bit in the water. She gasped excitedly and scooped the coin up in her talons, her eager eyes basking in the glory of her great treasure.

Aquaria's joyous celebration was quickly interrupted before she could finish. The lifeguard could sense something sinister nearby, maybe an invisible monster of some sort. She carefully tucked the coin away and nervously looked around. Her mind was playing tricks on her, the sloshing of water sending Aquaria into sensory overload! "Is anyone there?" she whispered lowly, the overeager lifeguard hoping nobody would respond!

The evenings were always a favourite time of the day for any late night wandering batpony...but for one such mare, it was THE best time of day - it gave her a chance to wander around in the gradually increasing darkness, thinking up things to present in comic form and occasionally giving a healthy amount of spooks to any unsuspecting pony she came across!

A splashing came from ahead, the sound of an enthused occupant rolling around and generally having quite a healthy amount of fun in the water...not many ponies were out and about to just roll in a fountain, and thus this piqued the explorative Sans Comique, who was mostly in the area just for the sake of being here. That was really the only reasoning she needed when it came to being out and about for a creative stroll - when the moon was as delightfully bright and the sky above was full of dimly twinkling stars, what else was needed?

She approaches from the shadows, as is her norm - a slightly fanged smile on her features as she deliberately strides loudly, making a small wailing noise as she gets closer - she couldn't be seen clearly yet, and she was kinda banking on that fact as she continued her little pantomime of playful terror. Sure, it wasn't really her best idea, but it was one that she kinda figured would still get something of a reaction either way!

" I am the batpony ghost of the foooountain! " she gives another award-winning ghostly moan, her eyes picking up and reflecting a little of the light. " You are bathing in the holy water of Al'dhubat...it is water that is sacred, water that has the souls of the undead swimming within. Continue to use it in this manner, and you TOO shall become like ME! " And on that final line, she pounces out of the light with her wings outstretched, giving the most gloriously evil growl she could manage. 

" RAAAAAAAWR! "

It was about all she could do to not give into the case of the giggles that were threatening to ruin her determined spooky pose - nights like this were just too much fun!

Aquaria could feel her chest heaving with fear and excitement. The only immediate response was the eerie sound of hooves approaching! It was clearly some type of monster, one not capable of speech! She couldn't muster up the bravery to peek out over the edge, the fiend obviously waiting just outside the edge of her vision! Before she could think on this more, she heard a voice seemingly moan at her.

Her blood ran cold, the hybrid finding her neck solidify as her form refused to turn and look at the insidious water all around her! She had no idea what a bat pony was, but she knew what a ghost was. They must have been dire ghosts; bigger, meaner and more devilish than their smaller kin! Her beak clenched tight, the lifeguard hoping it wasn't mad as she tried to plan an escape. Aquaria would have tried to fly off, but she 'KNEW' that it could float after her at least at the speed of light or something!

As it spoke though, her fear deepened further, the jovial lifeguard paralyzed with absolute terror. Aquaria was in a sacred fountain and she stole its treasure! Her rose colored eyes narrowed as she struggled with all of her might to free the ill gotten bit. She released the coin, but it was too late! The ghost was gonna ghostify her if she didn't escape. The lifeguard willed her head up to search for an escape.

Unfortunately, her shaky gaze was returned by the most demonic looking pony she had ever seen. It had slitted eyes, sharp fangs and demon wings! It was the last... thing, she was surely ever going to see, the hybrid knowing she was about to be dinner! The diver wanted to run. No, she HAD to run, but her stupid water eating feathers had betrayed her. The ferocious roar broke the paralysis, but in exchange replaced it with mind numbing horror. Her brain stopped working for a moment as she reactively exploded out of the fountain, her shivering wings not working as she landed on the lip of the water reservoir and slipped back onto the ground.

Lucky for Sans, the terrified lifeguard hadn't randomly stampede in her direction! The lifeguard was curled up in a ball, unwilling to move as she dripped Al'dhubat all over the ground. "Please don't eat me. I'm sorry! I'll be your best friend ever if you just let me live," she whimpered, trying to barter for her life. She had 'seen lots of ghosts,' but this was definitely the scariest one for sure! The strangeness of this response was only compounded further as her striped tail betrayed her, wagging excitedly from all the fun she was having with the 'evil' batpony ghost!

It took a millisecond to register the fact that somepony had actually taken her ruse seriously - Sans pondered for the briefest of moments before realising that the best way to potentially round off this little caper of deception would be perhaps to expand a little upon it. Ha, she was gonna ride this wave 'til it either crashed to shore or was the single most hilarious prank she'd pull off this month.

" YES, I am the ghost of the COOOIN! " she says, pointing a hoof in the direction of Aquaria. " YOU have summoned me from my eternal snoozing, so now you must heed my words... "

She put on her most fiercely determined look, wings flared as she steps towards the trembling figure with a small smirk on her features - this was going just fine!

" For touching THAT coin, you now have but two choices - only by making such a life altering choice can you, perhaps, free yourself of my wrath and the curse of the coin! "

Sans then softens her stance, perhaps attempting to lower the guard of the one watching her - she barely even paid any mind to the poor unhappy guard nearby!

" To be free of the coin, two choices there be... " she starts, speaking slowly and with as mystical sounding a tone as she could imagine. " Only by making this choice, will you ever be free. "  

Sans Comique was not always the quickest thinker when it came to something like rhyming for the sake of it, but when she was in the zone for mischief, she could pull off a few verses off the top of her head!

" The first choice, be eternally haunted...no peace 'til your dying day! " Sans continues, chuckling inwardly. " The second, surrender for the night - simply do what I say! "

Oh this was gonna prove interesting - she hadn't really intended originally to make this silly joke last, but the look on Aquarias features just egged her on further...she simply HAD to play this out to the end!

The batpony mare waits for the inevitable reaction, and hopefully an answer to the very silly request - perhaps she'd be made out...perhaps she wouldn't - it all hung in the winds of chance, much like a coin itself!

• 2 weeks later...

Aquaria had no idea that this was a ruse, but her excitement still shone through as her terrified body weakly wiggled with anticipation. This was going to be more entertaining than any old boring flight across Equestria at night. She could barely even see at night, this monster nice enough to reflect a bit of moonlight of her slitted eyes. This dire ghost looked a little cute, causing Aquaria to smile ever so faintly as she tried her best to negotiate for her own insignificant life. When the ghost confirmed she belonged to the coin though, the excitement on the face of the hybrid quickly washed away into another panic.

"Uh, yes, anything you want. Just don't gobble me up," Aquaria replied quickly as she managed to stand up on her shaky limbs! It wanted to talk to her at least, which was more than what could be said of most incorporeal moaners! Aquaria interrupted the monologuing mare by apologizing profusely, the scared hybrid practically stepping over the words of the monster as she probably 'angered' the spirit further. She gulped when finally being given a choice to pick, the lifeguard actually not sure of which option to chose. "Uh that is a long time to be haunted. That is like forever, or even longer maybe," the lifeguard explained in her usual concerned voice as she tried to decide between the two terrible options.

Why she had so much internal struggle over such a simple choice was strange, at least until she spoke and gave the the bat pony ideas to torture her. "Uh! I'll be your servant for a day but I can't hurt or haunt anypony. And if you do, I will eat your coin. Do you know what happens when griffon eats coins," Aquaria explained with a brave smile as she half threatened the ghost. She intended to hold up her end of the bargain, but she loved foals too much to betray them for any ghost.

Rose-colored eyes peered up at the pony as the lifeguard tried to shake herself free of the sacred water. Cold water sprayed all over Sans and the night air as she dried off. And almost on queue, as soon as she was free of water, she 'magically' grew in size as her feathers poofed up immensely. "Okay Al, what do you want me to do? I never go back on my word. Well usually I don't. There was this one time, but uh I promise to be a good pony," she proudly explained before second guessing and undermine all of her own statements. Sans clearly wasn't Al, but the diver didn't know any better! She was the ghost of that hard to name pony!  Aquaria meant well enough, but it was pretty clear that her reliability was questionable at best.

Archived