Official Discussion Thread - S05E7 Make New Friends But Keep Discord

sig-3568165.sig-3568165.img-3568165-1-tu

I will never understand this ship...  Too chaotic!

Saturday is upon us again and with it another new episode of the show we love, so sit back and watch adorable ponies do adorable things! This episode marks the return of the ponies' most annoyingly sucessful troll, er, Fluttershy's good friend, Discord ! :Flutter: This also means, yes, we have our first Fluttershy focused episode, so yay!  Who is Fluttershy's new friend and how fast will the fandom ship them?  What will happen at this year's gala and will it involve the royal guard and jail time?  Will another classic character make an appearance? Tune in to find out! The episode airs Saturday 11:30 AM EST on May 16th. :)<3

This thread is dedicated to discussing the episode before, during, and afterwards. As the thread is now open it may indeed contain spoilers. I ask that potential spoilers talked about or shown before the episode airs stay within the spoiler tags please, after the episode you no longer have to use the spoiler tags, but warning, if you haven't seen the episode yet after it airs, this thread no doubt will have all sorts of spoilers in reviews, images, etc. So tread at your own risk. :)

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Who is Fluttershy's new friend and how fast will the fandom ship them? 

I expect much Treeshy shippings.

Great episode, plus we got Smooze! There's a lot to like about this one. They knocked it out with dress designs, pop culture easter eggs, and too many character reactions and events to list. The message at the end was relevant and clean cut, and it all made perfect sense to me. 9/10.

Loved it!  This episode easily made my list of top episodes this season so far!

+5 for Grand Galloping Gala!  Ive been eager to see it come back!

+5 for new gala dresses!

+5 for Maud re-appearance!

+10 for Trollestia strikes again!

-1 for no Luna appearance at the gala D:  Is she still not invited?

+5 for TreeHugger!  I swear, she is my spirit pony.

+5 for Lord Smooze!

+5 For easily jealous, possessive Discord.  I like to think that we all had the one friend who wanted to be your second shadow and never wanted you to hang out with anyone besides them.  I know I have. x_x

I'm not completely caught up yet, but I just had to skip ahead to this one because Discord episodes are the best. I'm definitely not a Fluttershy/Discord shipper, but I have to admit this episode was very cute. I love how Discord went from gagging at the thought of friendship to having tea parties and dressing up. I have only a few issues, one of them being that the ending with Princess Celestia and Twilight didn't make much sense; the conversation played out as though Twilight hosting the party was the main focus of the episode, but they only mentioned it once before. The episode was about Fluttershy and Discord. A little discrepancy there. And the fact that at the end of season 4 Twilight and Discord did develop an interesting friendship that they haven't talked about since then, which might have been an interesting addition to this episode. (Maybe that's just the shipper in me talking, though - little monster) At any rate, this was a very good episode. I can certainly relate to Discord's multiple friend problem. Everyone's outfits were cute, and Fluttershy's tree-hugger friend was hilarious.

Obvious themes of jealousy abound. Could be trouble.

• I never actually expected the Grand Galloping Gala to be revisited!
  • The Smooze reminds me somewhat of that pudding cup creature from the MLaaTR episode "Call Hating".
  • Rodney Dangerfield impression - brilliant!
  • Maud's back too - brilliant!

That was a fun one!  

Noticed that Prince Blueblood wasn't anywhere near the GGG this year; I think he knows better than to show up by now.  There's always something going down now that a self-respecting Prince wouldn't want any part of of.

Excellent episode. Best since the premier. Does a lot to redeem Levinger as a writer for Breezies.

Awesome things it had:

• Season five debuts of two of my favorite ponies, Maud and Celestia.
  • Two great new characters, Tree Hugger and the Smooze.
  • Lyra wore a pretty dress
  • Discord.
  • Seeing Discord's home
  • Fluttershy was in focus and enjoyable the whole time.
  • That puppet.

More like this. Loved it! ;)

"So in summary, this episode was...
Cute!
Entertaining!
Heartwarming!
Groovy...
Amazing!

and Tree Hugger. Peace!"

That sums it up for me. There isn't much more to say other than those five words on my post episode tweet.

Ok, I lied a little. Although I don't have much to say about the episode, but this for me was a huge improvement over the Appleoosa's Most Wanted disaster of two weeks ago.

Overall this episode doesn't need an explanation, other than a few points.

First off, Tree Hugger herself. I actually liked this character when I saw the previews and when the episode aired it pretty much confirmed her as a fan favourite like Coco and Maud. Now I don't know if it was the personality, the style or just the thought of a 1960's hippie girl complete with flowers and vocal tones, but she made me squealing like a fangirl inside. No joke about that.

Although like two weeks ago, I have some objections to how she is portrayed outside of the show. I won't mention those points here due to the risk of starting another fandom war and having to go on the back foot and go into defensive mode, but I have gone into more detail on this point on my episode blog post which can be found at the end of this entry.

The second point was the Gala itself. Now while I didn't see the Gala the first time round due to entering the show after season one, but I had some idea of how it worked.

Now the main point I want to bring up is Pinkie's invite. Now she said in the episode that she wanted to invite her mother, Cloudy Quartz to the event but she ended up taking Maud instead.

"What? Cloudy Quartz!? Why would you turn down an invitation to go to the Grand Galloping Gala with your daughter Pinkie?"

Now, I know why she turned down the invite on her own terms. But it begs the question on whether family relations with Pinkie and her mother are a bit on the shaky side after going in a different direction that what her mother intended to be. While I don't have a problem with this (after all, it's her life and her decisions), it would have been nice to see Cloudy go to the event with both Maud and Pinkie.

To quote from my blog post:

"I mean, come on Cloudy! She is your daughter after all! Just put aside any differences that you have in the past on that rock farm and live a little for once! You are their mother for Celestia's sake!"

Apart from those two points, this episode was a welcome change and with the addition of Tree Hugger made it all worth while from start to finish.

I would certainly watch this again on the off chance, that's if Discord doesn't drive me broke from trying to throw my televisions and monitors out the bedroom window every time he has a temper tantrum!

I have also have written my full thoughts on the episode itself on my blog, which can be viewed here.

I have also included some additional thoughts on the episode in this recap video below:

Discord episodes are usually good for a laugh, and this one was no different! I loved his reaction and jealousy, all the way to threatening to send Tree Hugger to another sock puppet dimension. There were plenty of visual jokes for the parents (because no child would know that Discord was imitating Rodney Dangerfield). We even got to see Maud return, if only briefly, and get introduced to the fact that, yes, she does have a sense of humour. I liked how they updated the Smooze for G4. Less a giant world devouring monster and more a very misunderstood eater of jewelry. And, Celestia once again does what she does in order to make the Gala fun and exciting rather than the stuffy social occasions for the elites that she's known in the past.

Also, this should hopefully silence the critics who said Rainbow Dash has done nothing for Scootaloo lately, because she took Scoots to the Gala.

All in all, great episode!

I feel bad for the jealous Discord tho...

I would expect an apology from Flutters if I was him :I

Otherwise, another great episode.I luv that puppet XD

Man, yeah. Fluttershy was a pretty bad friend here, and Treehugger not much better. Discord may have overreacted but everything he got mad about was completely legitimate. Bad show, fillies.

Great episode! 

Lots of things to cover.

• Discord, Discord, Discord! This episode is a clear reason why he is my favorite enemy... er... friend. I love the scene when he's in his chaos world which confirms he does have his own place to stay. 
  • The Smooze! Yes, I remember him from the original My Little although back then he was much more evil as his ooze made ponies get upset at each other. Still I love the way he was used in it. 
  • The Metal Gear Solid box reference. 
  • Pinkie Pie doing one of the best fourth wall gags when shaking the camera. 
  • Applejack getting all teary over Apple Bloom going to the Gala. 
  • Celestia...oh how you trolled us once again! 
  • Poor Twilight...your best laid plans thwarted by Discord, The Smooze, and Celestia. 
  • Tree Hugger. Funny how i know some people like that. Great character all around as she is laid back and mystical. Guess I have a hippie side even though I was born way after the 1960s. 
  • The Puppet Dimension. 
  • The Mail Pony stuck in Discord's dimension. 
  • Maud Pie! 

I think I covered most of it, but this episode might need a review to get everything!

Man, yeah. Fluttershy was a pretty bad friend here, and Treehugger not much better. Discord may have overreacted but everything he got mad about was completely legitimate. Bad show, fillies.

I'm not sure I would like to be your friend if you think that. 

First off: The reason that Fluttershy didn't invite Discord was that she thought he already had an invitation.  It would have been both more reasonable and more kind for her to extend her plus one to somepony that didn't.  It was never her intention to be exclusive.  

Second: Once the invite was made, it had to be honored.  Sometimes things like this happen; communication mix-ups.  A friend understands this, and works through it, instead of being passive aggressive and self-justifying in their reasoning.

Third:  Both Fluttershy and Tree Hugger are well-disposed towards Discord; it would have taken very little on his part to make a new friend here.

Fourth:  Discord never said what he actually felt in plain English until the end of the episode.  This is the most important point.  Even if he had a justifiable grievance, it would not be fair to expect anyone to accommodate it until it was communicated.  Passive-aggressiveness accomplishes nothing, no matter how right you think you are.  Plain and clear communication is foundational to any healthy relationship.

I'm not sure I would like to be your friend if you think that. 

First off: The reason that Fluttershy didn't invite Discord was that she thought he already had an invitation.  It would have been both more reasonable and more kind for her to extend her plus one to somepony that didn't.  It was never her intention to be exclusive.  

Second: Once the invite was made, it had to be honored.  Sometimes things like this happen; communication mix-ups.  A friend understands this, and works through it, instead of being passive aggressive and self-justifying in their reasoning.

Third:  Both Fluttershy and Tree Hugger are well-disposed towards Discord; it would have taken very little on his part to make a new friend here.

Fourth:  Discord never said what he actually felt in plain English until the end of the episode.  This is the most important point.  Even if he had a justifiable grievance, it would not be fair to expect anyone to accommodate it until it was communicated.  Passive-aggressiveness accomplishes nothing, no matter how right you think you are.  Plain and clear communication is foundational to any healthy relationship.

Let's take a close look at this, shall we?

1. You act like Fluttershy making that assumption without asking Discord wasn't a bad move, especially since the way she puts it, she would have taken Discord if she hadn't made that assumption.

2. Maybe for most, but Fluttershy of all ponies knows that Discord is new to the idea of friendship. His behavior, while bad, wwas understandable. Fluttershy's was not.

3. This is hardly true, Discord is slighted by them numerous times. Fluttershy practically ignores him most of the time, he has to go to some effort to get her to even notice he's there. She doesn't even try to give a good account of the "funny story" he asked her to tell. She gives Treehugger the same compliment she'd given Discord earlier, even one that can only apply to one person. And Treehugger didn't even remember him after their first meeting.

4. Regardless of his jealousy, his attempts to spend time with Fluttershy were freaking obvious and Fluttershy isn't the type not to notice. She could ask him to give her and Treehugger some time to catch up, or she could accept Discord's attempts to join in, but she does neither, which is quite tactless. I'd expect that from Pinkie, but not Fluttershy...

Hm, interesting.  I see your counter-points, but I don't think they ruin the episode.  None of the Mane 6 is supposed to be perfect, but I still side with Fluttershy on the overall dispute.  Remember, we are omniscient observers, and the characters are not.

The best word for Discord's behavior is immature, and I have personally had to deal with too much of it from people who ought to know better than to be sympathetic towards it.  I do not happen to believe that it should be encouraged.

I think the reason that Fluttershy didn't "get" what Discord was feeling is that she tends to think the best of other's behavior.  This is not always a good thing, as the episode demonstrates.  A person who keeps thinking that everything is fine has a tendency to not pick up on things, especially one who is introverted by nature.  I am, and it is very hard for me to concentrate on two people at once.  I won't pick up on cues unless you spell them out.

I appreciate that there's two sides to this, and thank you for stating it clearly, but frankly Discord's behavior is far too disproportionate in it's response for him to fairly expect an apology, whether his grievance is fair or no.

Archived