Changeling Limitations

Tymiko

I'm sorry if this has been asked before, but I'm very curious and I couldn't find anything on the Changeling info page...

What are the limits of Changelings that aren't Queen Chrysalis? I thought I saw it suggested once that she might be the only Changeling able to take on an Alicorn's form, maybe because she's that tall already? But all Changelings seem to have horns as well as wings, so I don't even know what to think.

Some questions I have regarding their limitations:

- Can Changelings take on the form of alicorns as well as other ponies?

- Can Changelings only take on the forms of those they've seen before?

- Can Changelings take on the form of other non-pony creatures, like zebras, dragons, manticores, and griffons?

- Can Changelings take parts of beings and make up their own forms/creatures?

Changelings can assume the form of any species of which they share similar body mass.  This includes ponies, zebras, and griffons, but not something to the scale of a hydra or manticore.  They could also theoretically impersonate an alicorn, though it would be very difficult to fool most ponies who actually know them.

We have allowed changelings to "create their own original character" as it were, being able to build a unique illusion of an original pony, zebra, griffon, etc. though something resembling a draconequus (ie: body parts from a bunch of different species) is not possible.

though something resembling a draconequus (ie: body parts from a bunch of different species) is not possible.

What about during their swan song? Could be quite amusing black humor when verious parts change out of order in the end...

Changelings can assume the form of any species of which they share similar body mass.  This includes ponies, zebras, and griffons, but not something to the scale of a hydra or manticore.  They could also theoretically impersonate an alicorn, though it would be very difficult to fool most ponies who actually know them.

We have allowed changelings to "create their own original character" as it were, being able to build a unique illusion of an original pony, zebra, griffon, etc. though something resembling a draconequus (ie: body parts from a bunch of different species) is not possible.

Thank you very much for the clarification. But to make sure...are you saying that a Changeling could take on a canon pony's form, including an Alicorn's, but not take on Discord's because his form is so chaotic? Or they just can't make up their own draconequus form?

Also, they can't use magic other than to shapeshift and feed off the love that others direct at them, correct?

Also, they can't use magic other than to shapeshift and feed off the love that others direct at them, correct?

Just pointing out that in canon they use telekinesis and 'horn beams', and Crys uses several other spells while shape-shifted. 

Archived