A request to make Gallery rules clearer :(

I've always felt the gallery has been a point of contention with ambiguous rules, lots of grey areas, and questionable content. I think it's an important part of the site. At the same time, I think a lot of what is posted is posted simply because the user doesn't know any better. The rules aren't outlined or clear enough, and I don't think it would be fair to start swinging the hammer en masse.

I'm totally open to suggestions.

0DZAQEH.png

I've always felt the gallery has been a point of contention with ambiguous rules, lots of grey areas, and questionable content. I think it's an important part of the site. At the same time, I think a lot of what is posted is posted simply because the user doesn't know any better. The rules aren't outlined or clear enough, and I don't think it would be fair to start swinging the hammer en masse.

I'm totally open to suggestions.

0DZAQEH.png

I think first and foremost it should be made clear on if bases are okay or not okay to use, too many people use them and that's not really art now is it? What's worse is we often see a great deal of bases used and then NOT give the original creator credit.

Another problem of course is people just recoloring pony vectors and calling them original, when really we all can clearly see it's just yet again Rainbow Dash with her mane colored black.

And let's not forget tracing, where people just draw over screenshots as well

I suggest a thread with a clear list of things that are allowed in the gallery, and things that are not, and make it accessible possibly in the top banner, and if some pony gets reported for breaking said rule, that  they get their 1: artwork taken down and still given the shadow of a doubt, maybe they didn't see it, and 2: Send them a pm linking them directly to the rules page, asking them  to please read it over, and then send acknowledgement that they read it before they can post any more artwork, and 3: I suggest that if some pony gets caught being an art theft, not to ban them from the site, but to instead take away their gallery posting privileges, but only on say a second, or third offense, as to not be ban happy.

Some rules I suggest are 

1: Vector recolors are not allowed, that is not art, that's taking someone else's art and using the fill tool in paint

2: Bases are not allowed// ARE  allowed but ONLY if you give credit to the original artist (as most request you simply give them some credit)

3: Tracing is NOT allowed, drawing over a screen cap, or someone else's art and changing something minor like the hair style is not allowed.

4: The gallery is for YOUR own art (or posting images of commissions you've had done possibly, with the artist's permission/giving them credit) Don't just post random pony art you like in it.

That sort of thing :D Not to be overly harsh with the ban hammer, but a clear, concise list of do's do not's that outline what is and isn't okay to be posted in the gallery.

Archived