The Varied and Colliding Cultures of Maretonia (Sponsored)

Few things could prove that harmony took sincere effort more than seeing the product of a land that put no effort into it. Maretonia was the example that Equestrians could point to to show this truth in action. Whereas Equestria formed strong bonds between different species in an attempt to foster unity, Maretonia scorned such bonds in favor of exemplifying what they believed were the best traits of their own kind. Acroneighos believed it represented the best traits of Pegasi the world over and was proud to say so. Kastrot believed it exemplified all the nobility and righteousness that was the possession of all Unicorns. Hippostion, the ingenuity and capability of all Earth Ponies. Individually they were unique and intriguing places, but together they never had worked well. Each city mistrusted one another and by extension the three species mistrusted one another across all of Maretonia.

But today, they would try their best to at least be courteous to one another. They had been asked by the leaders of Maretonia to showcase Maretonian culture to the world at the World Friendship Expo. They each could have their own minibooths as part of the Maretonian exhibit. The Unicorns had the jewels and finery that Maretonia could display, the rough-hewn fabric of their home being equal parts extravagant and revealingly form fitting. The pegasi of Acroneighos brought their banners of conquest and the fine military weapons and armors, much of it old and historic. They also brought a choir that sung of their history. Hippostion brought food- lots of food, lots of drink, lots of games, lots of contracts to come visit the city that you shouldn't sign. It was as good as Maretonia was going to get.

The banner that hung was separated into three parts. The first part, “Mar”, was blue and yellow with fine print. It was pretty and noble looking like the city it came from, kastrot. “Eto” in the middle was by Hippostion, the curt wording using hidden symbols that only appeared in certain light a sign of the duplicity and inventiveness of the city. “Nia” was finished by Acroneighos, the bold and forward facing type displaying the general bluntness if the Acroneighian pegasi. Three booths, three different cultures, one nation under constant cultural siege- what a wonderful message for the friendship expo. Heart Stopper was part of the Kastrot exhibit, lounging in some fine wear as she locked eyes with every new attendee, begging them to fly into her web. Sky Crack stood at attention in the Acrnoeighos booth, responding only to questions and pleas for action from attendees seeking more information.

The Maretonian exhibit was as ready as it was ever going to be.

Never let it be said that Earth Writer was one to pass up new experiences!  

The unicorn reporter liked to think of himself as a well-traveled pony, as his work for the Canterlot Chronicle had sent him to some pretty far-flung places in Equestria.  However, that hardly exhausted the variety of places and cultures in the world; heck, he hadn't even left the continent yet!  Thus, places like Maretonia were completely new to him, as he had little more than names on a map and brief paragraphs from travel articles to inform him.

But now, here was a chance to preview these far and distant lands, and to hear stories of the last remnants of united ponydom!  It was therefore with an eager step, curious eye, and open notebook that the black-and-tan unicorn trotted up to the triple display.

Earth found his first impression... hard to describe, but forceful, enough to make him halt in front of the banner, in full view of the hosts and hostesses.  The endless varieties of local culture were a fascination to the geographer-turned-journalist, and he always looked into them wherever he went.  But in his previous travels throughout Equestria, there was always a kind of gloss or enamel that spread over the local color like a kind of lamination or shellacking, binding the disparate parts into a whole, preventing them from really being a separate culture.

Not so here.  Even in this close proximity, there was an effort by each of the cities to present itself as, if not absolutely superior, at least unmistakably itself, and not merely a part of a whole.  The whole effect was, of course, not harmonious, but yet... Earth Writer found it oddly attractive, if only for its novelty.

With that in mind, he decided to take the displays from right to left, starting with "Mar" or Kastrot.  *I'm probably going to keep calling it Mar in my head for the rest of my life because of this.*  Unlike the culture she had come to represent, there was nothing odd in the attractiveness of Heart Stopper; she knew what most ponies liked in a mare, and was apparently prepared to use that to the full.  Earth had to admit, it was a good tactic; most eyes that wandered over to her area stayed.

"Earth Writer, Canterlot Chronicle."  He tipped his hat as he walked over to Heart Stopper, giving his typical greeting.  He stopped short, however, as he was pulling out his notebook.  Partly this was because he was now attracting her attention in earnest, which was hardly a safe proposition, but also because of a thought that he, perhaps unwisely, vocalized.  "Er, do they even have newspapers where you come from?"

Cultures! What a beautiful thing! Dunder wanted to explore each, experience each, but most importantly learn so he could respect each. Unfortunately, that was not the attitude of everypony. Over the crowd, he could spot the colored MarEtoNia banner. Three different prints to form a single name. Nice touch. He knew it wasn't as harmonious as the banner, or even the booth looked. In fact, the impression Kastrot left on him only made the pony more curious...and the memory of that unicorn that he almost got sold to. Or even worse, almost willingly left with. The pony shook his head, shaking the thoughts away.

Hopefully there are no heavily armed unicorn thugs waiting for me to step out of line.

The pegasus adjusted his feathered, colored headdress accented with an even more colorful woven base to not obstruct his eyes for the next step. The pegasus flared his wings and jumped up in the air and let out a powerful flap of his wings to keep himself at the apex. Then the flapping became natural as he hovered. The air traffic wasn't bad, better than the pony anticipated. The booth was right there anyway! He chambered his body before shooting off, zooming towards the exhibit with reckless confidence. But just his luck, fate wouldn't give him a speedy travel.

Right in front of the booth, a griffon took off into the air, his satchel filled to the brim and weighted down far below him. Just enough to clip a zooming pegasus right in the nose, knocking his head back, and send him tumbling back to earth.

So Dunder's eyes were closed one second, then the next it felt like he had gotten punched by some sort of metal-fisted monster that send him flipping head over hinder to the ground.  "GRAAAH!" The stallion yelped in surprise and pain as he flipped through the air. The ponies in the booth crowded to make way for the large brown figure tumbling towards them who eventually slammed against the ground and slid a horse length on the ground.

When he opened his eyes he couldn't see, so he pushed his headdress up, the feathers rustling softly as he did. He looked up at a pony who he was now under, face-to-face. An Acroneighos mare standing guard, this close he could see her magenta coat that was a shade too familiar.

In fact, the figure above him looked so familiar he just lay there for longer than if it had been any other another pony, a face of bewilderment staring up at her.

Heart Stopper would have rather been anywhere in the world than in the middle of some stinky Equestrian city. The stench of zebras and griffons mixed in well with the pigeon ponies and the dirt ponies. She would rather have been home in her castle, surrounded by all the servants she could ever want and a literal stable of the finest stallions the city could provide at her beck and call. But no, some Expo somewhere needed her special touch all on account of her daddy being the one who decided kastrot would get the best representation possible. So here she was. Oh well. She had bits to spend in Manehattan's trendiest shops when this was done, and until then, she'd do her best to do as her daddy told her: “Represent the city well. Also, don't be rude. Also- really, please, I mean it. Don't be rude.”

It would be hard though with the dirty Acroneighans and Hippostionans stinking the booth up. What were they going to show off but a love for all the things that made them inferior savages? It was a terrible idea. Should have been just Kastrot if anything, but here she was, a fake smile plastered on with all the pained attempt at accuracy as she could muster as an earth pony trondled on up and asked about...newspapers? Heart Stopper tossed her mane and remembered her daddy's request: Don't be rude. Don't be rude. Thank the Horn that this silly Earth pony that her daddy had said that or Heart Stopper would light into him! “Hahaha, funny you ask that. Actually, Kastrot's oldest newspaper is older than any of the written records in Canterlot by several centuries. The Report of the Sun, or just the Sun, is our oldest newspaper. Nice to hear that the capital of Equestria has a Chronicle. I've always preferred that word to the Sun. Seems more official,” She said before levitating a small pastry seasoned with saffron, “want one? The saffron comes from this small d- earth pony town not far from Kastrot.Baked by some of the best bakers in kastrot following ancient recipes. Might be a little intense for somepony like you though...” she teased, levitating it directly in front of him.

Sky Crack didn't know why she was here. She wasn't somepony who could advertise the glory of Acroneighos through words, but rather through glorious deeds and the ability to work with others. She didn't really want to be here. She didn't know why her parents had agreed with the rest of the council to send her here. She didn't know why she was doing this and not leading another anti-piracy raid or the subjugation of a village that no longer met its debt obligation. There were two unicorn led villages in Maretonia in particular that struck her as particularly worthwhile targets, but she was here instead. She understood the important of trying to show solidarity with the other major cities and powers of Maretonia, she did. But she wasn't sure why she was here.

In full armor, no less, glimmering and gleaming in the sun that seemed to be so dull on the ground. She wanted to be up there but it wasn't to be. She'd have to entertaining the questions of the Equestrians today and while she harbored not an inch or ill will towards them, she wasn't one for idle chatter. She was a mare who loved action and respected those who had proven themselves in the dangerous crucible of battle. Only a hoof full of Equestrians had earned that from her, and she doubted she would see any of them today. Most of them were likely off doing far more engaging things than this, and besides, it was rare anyway. It wasn't like they fell out of the sky!

Well, except in this case that is exactly what happened. She had hardly moved as she saw the crash happened, believing in the Acroneighian proverb that “a bad crash you survive alone is one you learn from; a bad crash you survive due to others teaches you nothing but to stay with your mother.”
But soon after, she caught who it was. That skilled stallion from the Arena. Good to see he had survived. Sky Crack removed her helmet and allowed her mane to run free, almost as free as the smile that came soon afterward.
“Ah, I see you survived! Welcome news! What brings somepony of your skill to our booth?”

While Earth Writer's mother was an earth pony, he himself took after his father in being a unicorn.  Unlike his proud cousins in Kastrot, however, the reporter saw little need to emphasize that fact.  Hence, the brim of his tan trilby hat somewhat obscured his horn from view.  It would only be when he finally levitated his notebook and pencil out and up that Heart Stopper would see the unmistakable glow of magic.

Speaking of glows, the mare's smile, though false, still retained some of the natural glow which clung to it.  Not spectacularly dazzling, but still a little discombobulating to anypony alive to the sense of beauty.  And after hanging out with so many of the artistic set for so long, Earth certainly knew beauty when he saw it!  "Oh, ah, that's good to hear, yes!  Certainly a valuable institution, whatever the name.  If I'm ever in the city, I'll be sure to look up my fellow journalists."  He paused for a moment, before his mouth won the battle against his better judgment.  "I'd look in on you, too, only I suspect you'd leave the butler instructions to tell me you're not at home."  Kastrot may be on the other side of the world from Canterlot, but he'd lived in the latter city long enough to know an aristocrat when he saw one, and he suspected that they tended to act similarly concerning reporters within their gates.

Admittedly, however, no baroness or duchess had ever personally offered him a pastry, so perhaps the parallel wasn't perfect.  "Hm, it does smell lovely..."  He broke a piece off with his own magic, bypassing Heart's taunting levitation, before taking a bite, being careful about the crumbs.  The flavor was... well, he wouldn't call it intense; Earth Writer reserved that adjective for the spicier of Mexicolt dishes, but it was certainly full of savory goodness, laced with a sharp, creamy cheese filling that danced with the saffron across the tongue.  "Mm!  Now that was truly excellent!  You certainly know how to convince a pony to give your homeland a closer look, miss...?"  He'd never caught her name, now that he thought of it.  He hoped that it wouldn't be too offensive of an oversight to her, as he hoped to perhaps score an interview.

Dunder's eyes shot open, his heart dropped, and if the feathers on his headdress had been real they would have stood straight up. Of all the ponies he could have encountered of an entire city-state, he finds the one that mutilated him. For a moment more on the ground he was baffled, listening half minded to the comment she made. Not sure if she actually had a snide tone in her voice or not. That's when he decided to scramble to his feet, dusting off his ornate and colorful loin cloth that covered his cutie marks and draped on either side of his tail.

Maybe he'd have gotten up in her face, demanding if her tone was patronizing or not. But she was the one that was armed. And up close, not covered in dirt and blood, she was attractive in a way that betrayed her brutality in the ring. So instead of actually saying anything, he stood there like an idiot a moment more while wasting brain power thinking of something to say that wasn't a challenge to a hoof-fight.

After the pause he smiled back, "Yeah. Good thing you didn't kill me." Suddenly, something assaulted his nose. An unmistakable smell. Tomatoes, Acroneighos yogurt, perfectly seasoned and spit roasted blend of various grains all wrapped in a flat pita bread.

"By Celestia's sweet pl-- mane, you didn't bring a gyro, did you?" He asked, looking into her eyes. He even pronounced the name of the Acroneighos burrito correctly.

Heart Stopper's smile became far more authentic when she saw Earth Writer was a unicorn. Pleasant news- she could actually deal on an equal hooving with him and not have to pretend to care what he was saying. At least with a unicorn she could freely display her magic and converse with a creature of a higher caliber and status: Who better to understand the nuances of the aether than a creature who could manipulate it? Who was more worthy than those who could so with contemptuous ease? It was that which separated a unicorn from all others, and the willingness to embrace this truth was what made Kastrot the greatest city on the planet. And now Heart Stopper was more than happy to share this with her unicorn attendee. Plus he was a flirt and she loved stallions like that.

“No no my dear, when it comes to handling stallions such as yourself I make sure my servants are well aware that I handle it with my own hooves. The name is Heart Stopper, and it is a pleasure to make your acquaintance, Earth Writer. Tell me, have you ever wished there was a place where the embrace of magic wasn't just something a society strove for, but valued as dearly as anything else? Where the artistry of the aether, the dance of the intellectual, and the understanding of one's true potential were not just ideals, but the fabric of life itself?” Heart Stopper began, levitating a nice, sparkling, bubbling drink to her friend that had a fizzy bop to it thanks to her magic.

------
This Dunder was an odd pony, was he not? He seemed to be struck by his nerves for causes beyond her understanding. Some pegasi in this nation were so...nervous and twitchy! And why would he be? A noble warrior like himself should be strong and proud, not dumbfounded by something or the other. After a while he did manage to get up and respond, though with far less excitement than she had given him. Apparently he did not take defeat all that well. No doubt. Acroneighians did not either. It wasn't in their DNA. As an Equestrian though, she assumed he would have a less distasteful response to defeat. Well, ponies would be ponies here, she supposed. She was about to respond when he finally got excited- about their food. She turned to see. Yes, they had brought Gyros. She flew over and grabbed one for him, hoofing it over swiftly.

“Yes, we do have these gyros. I have no need for it- it is not of Acroneighos, but of the village of Gyrossia nearby. I did not know such a dish was so famous as for an Equestrian to know of it! I am quite happy you are not dead. It is rare you meet skilled and honorable foes! What brings you here?” She asked, pleasantly surprised to run into somepony worthy of her time.

Strand by invisible strand, the spider's silk of Heart Stopper's charm was being laid to entangle Earth Writer.  It wasn't as if he were unconscious of that fact, either; as a loyal member of the freewheeling Bohemian club, he was more than familiar with all varieties of behavior, including the flirtatious.  A wise pony, perhaps, would even now have endeavored to extricate himself from a net half-woven, especially if that pony already had a marefriend.  But, Earth hadn't seen Sugar Apple in... months, now, and after all, he wasn't being paid to interview her, now, was he?

Encouraged by the increase of warmth in her smile, he played along with her question, noting the conversation off-hoofedly in shorthoof.  "Heart Stopper, eh?  Quite the aptonym, that."  A fellow journalist on his paper had coined that word; it meant a name that fit a pony's profession or personality perfectly.  Of course, that was pretty much the rule rather than the exception in Equestria, but it was interesting to see it hold true in Maretonia as well.

"I must say, such as city as you describe would certainly be worth seeing, though if I had to choose a place to live I would prefer a city dedicated to the arts, the art of letters included.  After all, the search for beauty is a primary act, whereas so much of magic is utilitarian means to an end.  The same holds for the crafting of the sublime, and even the grotesque.  Even artists of the ugly are never dull, and the same, unfortunately, cannot be said of most magical scholars I know, even after a few drinks!"  He laughed, raising the glass proffered to him in a toast.  "I would append that I mean no offense to the present company, but I think you far too interesting to be a mere intellectual.  But you have seen what I mean, that dullness is the only unforgiveable flaw?"

The reporter was fully at his ease now, as if he were relaxing the Veiled Garden, quite prepared to converse far into the night.  Or at least until the Expo's closing time...

Dunder's pupils grew as she brought over the gyro, eyes locked on the thing as she hoofed it over. It was still warm, actually burning at the bottom but the pony didn't care as he took a bite. Then another, then another, then another. After just a few seconds the whole thing was gone down Dunder's throat. He smiled, already feeling better after scarfing the thing down. "Of course...actually I don't know if those things are famous. But they are very, very good." He said and then cleared his throat, trying to keep the positive attitude that mostly revolved around the eating of the gyro.

"Yeah, I'm glad you didn't actually kill me." He said, sounding sincere in that. "And I am here for the same reason you are. To give ponies free taquitos and get asked to get pictures taken with me while I wear my cultural getup." He said, looking over everything he was wearing, from the loin cloth to the bands of leather and gold wrapped around his legs. "And don't think of me as a foe. We aren't in the ring right now."

Good, good. He wasn't dumbstruck quite yet. Better yet, like any true Unicorn, he was intelligent and able to hold a conversation. As an Equestrian he did not have the proper respect quite yet for the true elements of power and excitement nor the realization of his own superior place in the world, but that would come with age and wisdom she hoped. Maybe not in Equestria though- she doubted this place really embraced unicorns and the power they had quite as well as Kastrot did, dooming the unicorns here to a life only really half lived. But no matter. She was having a pleasant conversation with this Earth Write at the moment, and for the life of her she would make sure that he imparted with some knowledge of the one place where a unicorn could really be herself. Or himself, as it were.

“Such a city devoted to art would be very pleasant, would it not? Art is an extension if a creator, an extension of somepony's inner idealism. Idealism comes ffrom not just your own philosophy, but your city's- your home's- belief systems. That is maybe why you view magic as a utilitarian means an end. In Equestria, the expression of magic is rather...diluted. No offense intended, of course. But in Kastrot, magic is embraced and the unceasing application of it's art is not just something you can do, it is something that the city prides itself on. Art thrpugh the application of will, imagination playing out in front of you- Kastrot is a city of art, the art of life played out in the aether,” she said, taking a sip, “and no, I'm no intellectual. I find those pursuits dry. I just know what my city offers and why it is so special. Tell me, your horn- when did yours start really growing?” She asked, no shame evident in her line of questioning.

This stallion ate faster than some ponies flew. She didn't know the food of her homeland had such an impact outside of tasting good. Maybe they could try and weaponize gyros by not delivering the secret Acroneighian recipes, holding the world at ransom! Or maybe Dunder was an especially silly stallion who couldn't eat proper. Well, he was happy enough. Yes, it was good she hadn't killed him. Even better that she had won! Victory defined Acroneighos, from the Whitescar to the Great Desert, Unyasi to the wild seas in the northwest. Nopegasi could claim t hold such doomain over the world! Such was the fate and honor of Acroneighos, the Jeweled Hoof of the Sky!

“Foes are foes no matter what. The only difference is in how we view them. Cruel and dishonorable foes deserve the sword. Weak and cowardly foes deserve loathing. But honorable and skilled foes- they are friends! And you, my friend, are a friend. I like your clothing- Are you Mexicolt? I think you'd look grand in some Acronighian armor!”

It would take an extremely liberal view of notability to say that any of this conversation was worth putting in print for the general Equestrian readership.  But then again, hadn't Earth Writer had enough newsworthy events happen when he was traveling out to various events?  No less than two full-scale invasions on days meant to be relaxing holidays covered by short columns!  No, the front page news could happen somewhere else.  He was here to get local color, and interesting tidbits, and chatting to a pretty and intelligent mare was one of the more enjoyable ways to do so.

"Hm, and the elevation of magic is considered all-sufficient to satisfy the soul of a civilization?  I should have thought it over-specialized myself, but then, I suppose that magic can be considered as broad as art.  There are many who would claim it was not exclusive to unicorns."  The last sentence had slipped out casually enough; it was well-established among the Equestrian academies that pegasi channeled aetheric energy to defy conventional aerodynamics, and earth ponies had long established connections to the latent forces beneath their hooves.  As soon as he said it, though, the reporter knew that he had probably trodden on a cultural toe, and that this conversation was about to take a hard left turn from light flirtation and philosophy.

On the other hand... Heart Stopper would be sure to react interestingly.  Yes, the resulting culture clash would definitely be worth reporting!

Dunder listened to her tone of voice, upbeat and happy. He couldn't help but wonder what would have happened or could have happened. But that wasn't a thought for now, that was a thought for when they meet in the arena again.

And she suggested he'd look good in acroneighos armor. Without saying a word he plopped his headdress on her and swiped the helmet from the ground where she set it and put it on his head, "Oh look at me! I love... spears. Only the small ones though. I heard somewhere that Acroneighos ponies like shorter, smaller spears. But you guys have like long pikes n' stuff." Dunder shrugged, "Anyway, you look good. We just need to get some warpaint on you, maybe do your mane up in a series of smaller buns. Some gold." He said, circling her while examining the headdress on her.

"And yes, most other places know it all as Mexicolt. But Mexicolt is more of the desert, plains, and mountains that are on the Equestrian border that blend with Equestrian culture."

Pah. Unicorns were the only true purveyors of magic. Pegasi and Earth ponies didn't have to be creative. They just had to be what they were, which was an extension of the land and the sky. They were barely even living creatures worthy of respect, let alone being placed on the same pedastal as unicorns. Unicorns weren't just slaves to natural forces, they were the very foundation of everything that was not natural. Their creativity imposed upon the world their own personality and left indelible marks on it. The aether was changed by ever unicorn who passed through it. The aether simply noted the existence of Earth Ponies and Pegasi. Oh well. Equestria may pride itself as being forward thinking but with their flanks on the ground and their snouts in the sky, they'd miss the truth. Heart Stopper wasn't disappointed by that.

“Magic is to the soul as warm soup is to the body on a cold day, dear. But actually using it, manipulating it- that is how you not only bare your soul, but you help others become emboldened by it. A city without such exercise of magic is...impotent, I'm afraid. I rather don't appreciate that!” she giggled, tossing her mane, “but enough philosophy! Let's discuss something else. Did you know that the sun that your Princess Celestia moves does not pass above Maretonia alone?”

---
He quickly took her helmet and replaced it with his own, quickly joined by an embarrassed blush on Sky Crack's face as the somewhat disapproving glare of her comrades caught her off guard. It was an unkind thing to remove a mare's helmet. During training they would have fights where each trainee would have only their helmet which was strapped on especially tight. Losing the helmet meant not only that you lost, but that you went hungry that night. Not trying to beat your opponent by slacking led to you getting ten lashes and going hungry. The only way you and your opponent won was by engaging each other for ten minutes in close quarters combat, full bore, without letting up, and without losing. This wasn't a good thing to do. It helped a little that he was a funny stallion. She removed his helmet and placed it on his head after getting hers back in silence, sighing in relief when she put it back on. It was one thing for her to put it down- another entirely for somepony else to take it.

“The hasta, you mean? Yes, we do enjoy the hasta, and we also use the doru. Both are spears, but the doru is longer and better for use in defensive positions. More mobility is offered by the hasta, and we can flank better with it.. But we often use the Sarissa when we fight as a phalanx. Javelins, pilium- use those too. I have my very own personalized pugio, but when I'm out in the field my backup is generally the gladius. Same goes for all of us- even bows and crossbows!” she said, picking up each weapon and pulling him behind the booth so he could gaze at the almost endless array of weapons. “An Acroneighan must be skilled in the use of all of these weapons and often more! This is in addition to our lengthy training for formation warfare and survival as well as tactical awareness. Something I'm sure most Equestrians couldn't do it...” one eyebrow cocked, as she leaned in with a smile, “not even somepony from Mexicolt could complete one of our trials!”

For all his egalitarian convictions, Earth Writer's mind was left open just enough for Heart Stopper to fit in one or two of her ideas.  There was something in what she said; at the very least her words demonstrated an understanding of the true purpose of art.  To pour courage into others by the baring of one's own soul... it brought to mind a couplet heard in passing, which sprang to the reporter's lips,

"We praise, encourage, exalt, defend/

Ponykind's strong and ancient friend."

To preserve this idea as the foundation of unicorn magic was certainly valuable, and it was intellectually defensible that it could only be preserved in a city where aetheric manipulation was concentrated, and not diluted. 

However, as much could be equally said for the other two cities, with respect to the pony tribes.  It would be no bad thing for an earth pony to be able to look and Hipposition and see what could really be done with four hooves and a brain; and Acroneighos was already demonstrating what it could teach to pegasi about pushing the limits of physical striving and disciplined action to the point of near-invincibility.

If Maretonia had anything to teach Equestria, it was that.  If all three cities could be pointed in one direction, they would probably outclass the world in every respect, but as they stood, each was more dedicated to frustrating and belittling the benefits the other could give to the world, and so they were tragically made a byword for in-fighting and general backwardness.

Sheesh, that would make a depressing article.  Heart Stopper was right, enough philosophy!  "Oh?"  Earth Writer raised an intrigued eyebrow at her question regarding Celestia's sun, answering in playful irony.  "Do you refer to the recent discovery that our fair Princess illuminates her own dominions as well as others?  Or do you mean additional heavenly bodies shine in Maretonia?"  The reporter grinned at her as he added, "I think the latter quite plausible, from what I've seen."

Dunder was smiling as he wore her helmet and she wore his, but she didn't look amused at all. In fact, she looked embarrassed, "Oh, don't worry, you look good in it. It's alright to mix things up once in a while." He looked over at her comrades who were throwing some disapproving glances. Dunder responded by throwing a challenging posture out to the others. A puffed chest and a raised hoof that was ready to dig at the ground as he eyed the others. But when his friend pulled her helmet off his head and replaced it with the headdress, Dunder looked back. She looked upset, "Sorry..." He said softly. She didn't respond, only moved on to what Dunder had originally said.

Most of the weapons Dunder had already heard of. The culture was obviously militarized. The main thing they brought was weapons and armored pegasi. Still he listened to everything that she had to say, and what really caught his attention was her challenging tone at the end.

"Oh, just 'cause of where I'm from I can't do something? You know what?" He put a hoof to her chest, and looked her in her blue eyes "I could destroy each of your trials. Easily. Twice if I have to. It wouldn't be the first time I was forced to survive a hard training regimen."

What a nice little song. Magic really was Ponykind's strong and ancient song. Perhaps someday Equestria would heed such a little ditty and understand what made magic so powerful and unique was their ability to manipulate something that reciprocated their devotion and understanding of it with such power. This power did not flow to those who did not understand the intricacies of manipulation. It roosted in the hearts and minds of those who had the creativity to exploit it and it gave those who did not the power to till the earth and secure the skies for the betterment of those who had the creativity to own the world. Two served the one because the one was superior to the three when the one was unfettered and unhindered by lame hooves and wings.

“Celestia's sun does not shine its light into Maretonia. Her magic does not rely on border, but on opposing magic. The unicorns of Kastrot have ALWAYS commanded the sun over their own land. When Celestia's sun reaches our borders, her magic fizzles. It comes under our control. For hours a day, every day, we command its path. Celestia then grabs it once it leaves our borders. This doesn't impact Equestria at all, mind you. But it is interesting that the sun- and the same holds true of the moon, mind you- is not purely the domain of an alicorn, is it not? That unicorns working together with their own power and striving towards a common goal can do what an Equestrian alicorn can? Of course-” Heart Stopper sighs, looking up with a worried, almost quaking expression, “Celestia is much stronger now with Luna back, both of them able to focus their powers better. It seems like every day the sun gets a little too close to Maretonia for our own good. She wants to push the sun through our control for the good of her subjects, no doubt. This is not the fault of Celestia, of course. How can she possibly know our land and what it needs? I can't imagine what it's like for the pegasi either, so high up there in their ugly armor. They must bake in there! Perhaps that can explain their irritability! If only we had some more...heavenly bodies. Then even if we only ever got the moon I'm sure things could be toasty,” She said, a hungry and capable expression on her face with the slightest hint of mischief running along her lips.

Haha, funny joke Heart Stopper. What a charmer.

-----
Good! That cockiness was a requirement for Sky Crack to think somepony who wasn't Acroneighian could complete a trial. Trials were by their nature intense and long lasting, but she had chosen the first pony to compete in one for the day well. She had fought him. He endured things well. He might not be able to pass but if there was an Equesrtrian who could, a Mexicolt who could, it was Dunder. Of course there was more to this than physical endurance. If he could pass the physical tests he would still have to pass a mental test, one he may not be aware of. His eagerness though forced a nod from Sky Crack, who licked her lips behind her helmet in anticipation.

“Very well then!” She said before zipping on over to a giant tower of clouds. They looked calm. A single flap of the wings and the calm clouds vanished, revealing a small cyclone inside of a well-controlled and heeled cloud construct. At the base was a set of armor and some weapons. Sky Crack nodded. “You will commit to three laps inside of this track of heavy wings and chaos. Then you will exit, put on one piece of armor. Rinse and repeat until you are in full armor. Five laps. Pick up a hasta. Five laps. Pick up a doru. Five laps. Pick up a shield. Five laps. Pick up a crossbow. Five laps- then await further instruction, continuing your laps! Are you ready, Dunder?” Sky Crack asked, standing at full attention, opening the door ever slightly into the cyclone. Piercing winds shout at, disturbing the entire booth tremendously- including sending the stray edge of a banner intpo Heart Stopper's eye, who shot a beady look at the uncaring pegasi.

As a point of fact, the original author of the ditty Earth Writer was quoted was referring not to magic, but to wine.  The reporter felt it tactful to let that little fact slip by the wayside; though, it was interesting to consider how much Heart Stopper thought about magic would parallel the thoughts of a vitner or sommelier on their chosen subject.  Was not their effort and passion rewarded with tangible sublimity, that could then be revealed to the world?  And was not the world better for it?

All life could be thought of like that, perhaps.  Such musings, however, were driven from the unicorn's mind by her next words.  So, Celestia's control over the sun was relinquished for a few hours every day?  "Now that is interesting,"  Earth Writer made a point of noting the fact in his notebook, "Though I never doubted the capability of skilled magicians in concert.  Is moving the sun and moon something all citizens do, or just a select oligarchy dedicated to the task?"  

His pencil paused as he saw her expression grow worried, contemplating issues of national sovereignty.  It was an issue that might be settled by negotiation and treaty, but Celestia would ask all three cities to the roundtable, to less than stellar results.  There was little to be expected as far as joint diplomatic efforts went in Maretonia, particularly given the lack of basic understanding in each of how the other 2/3 lived.  "Actually, most pegasi settlements are colder than surface towns; has something to do with the air being thinner.  It can't hold as much heat, even though it's technically closer to the sun.  I don't know if that would suit you any better, though; you seem to be the sort that would prefer warmer climates."

Earth could well believe it; Heart Stopper's look was presently smoldering; the air at this altitude was certainly having no trouble retaining her heat.  "Well, I don't know about the moon, but I could point out one or two minor-"

BAP!

The sudden gust of wind from the Acroneighos exhibit's machines whipped the edge of the Maretonian banner across their faces, and for one instant the journalist sympathized with all the Kastrotian emotions concerning pegasi.  The instant passed, however, as he figured out what was going on.  "Huh, this should be interesting.  What do you want to bet on that he makes it?  I'll put up ten bits that says he will, pro amas patriae."

She looked very excited to bring on the pain. Flashbacks of the last mare who trained him and very much brought on the pain entered his mind and made his eye twitch in fear. But she turned and flew off before Dunder could make any better judgement. He followed close behind her, fling up and up until braking as she did to land on the top of some sort of cloud-structure. The shape of the construct and her anticipation to claim the difficulty the trials to become an Acroneighos soldier. Things weren't looking too good for Dunder, but he was still not dissuaded.

When Sky slapped off the cloud cover to reveal a contained cyclone of proportions Dunder had never seen before. As she explained what he was to do, the stallion nodded, his mind taking in the information like a colt slurped up soup. His eyes were locked on the entrance, he looked as if he was zoned out as she spoke, remembering each step. Three laps then five laps. Make sure to pick up the hasta. Hasta. "Hasta? ¡Hasta la victoria, SIEMPRE!" Dunder war-cried out as he ripped off his loincloth and tossed it next to Sky, and then removed his headdress and plopped it atop Sky's head on top of her helmet.

The pony backed up to the hole and jumped in, back first.

Jumping in backwards was not a good idea, it just made the cyclone harder to get used to when he turned around. Powerful wind whipped around his entire body and over his eyes. Right about then he wished he had goggles as he plunged deeper into the simulation of a violent storm.

After a few times crashing into a rather tough cloud wall, Dunder finally made his first lap. His second lap was where he was beginning to get the hand of it mentally, but physically he could start to feel the adversity of the cyclone. Finally the last lap. Wait, was he supposed to go three laps first or five?

No way he was going to risk it. The stallion flapped and flapped his wings to get to the entrance on the third lap, and plunged back down for his fourth. Then up and back around again for the fifth. His heart was thundering, and the pressure inside of the chamber was making him sick to his stomach, and his heart work harder. But he completed the fifth lap.

As he approached the hole to make an exit, he could feel the effort to leave easing up. Then panic struck as he realized he was getting sucked out. BAM! He only gasped in pain as his chest slapped against the rim of the entrance, his upper half out before clawing, climbing the way out of the turbine.

Dunder stayed low to the floor, his heart beating was the only thing his pressurized ears let him hear. He panted, tail and mane telling the story of a stallion that just got beat up. But he slowly put each hoof in place and pulled himself up to a standing position. He looked at Sky Crack. "Give me the armor."

Sometimes she wondered why it was so easy to manipulate others for her. Was it a gift she had magically or was she just that much smarter than everypony else? Sometimes she felt like a spider in her web, playing with her venom filled targets. Most of them were more than happy to be there- she filled them with venom out of habit more than necessity. But in this case it was much more subtle. Yes, she knew all about the temperature of pegasi cities. The pegasi she kept in her personal entourage and as part of her servant class often complained about how warm it was. They also complained about they weren't allowed to fly anymore, but how else was she able to ensure they didn't fly away when she allowed her friends to borrow their services? Really, priorities.

And for now, the priority for her was making Earth Writer feel like the smartest stallion in the world. So wise. So experienced. Certainly more than some haughty noble. She needed to see him again so he could teach her about 'friendship' and other Equestrian values. And then she could teach him about Kastrot and the problems it faces, especially the internal ones- what with the power struggle between her parents and other leaders of major families in Kastrot. Oh, how mean and cruel they were. And maybe he would write an article and Celestia would read it and tell the King and Queen of Maretonia they needed to step in. And sure their power was little, but anything that could tip the scales in her parents' favor was valuable.

“Wow, I did not know that. Now I know better. I would assume pegasi cities are closer to the sun and thus hotter, but who knows. My, all that weather business is beyond me. I focus on more immediate and frankly vital matters, like making sure to work out. Did you know that the famous Maretonian Crunch was invented in Kastrot? Hmm...you might actually know it as Yoga, now that I think of I. I teach a Crun- Yoga class sometimes. I can be quite flexible, you know,” she added knowingly before sighing, looking over to the flying rat city's booth. One of the local ones was going in- hmm, he seemed familiar. Maybe- oh yes. That one odd group who entered her city. She tried to purchase him, but oh well. Nice strong wings, good looks, maybe a bit smaller than she wanted but that couldn't be helped. He wouldn't have needed to have been any given size- she wasn't using him for anything that would require it. Momentary trophies were just that, after all. “Perhaps. But I do like the betting. Ten bits it is- or twenty-two Kastroti gold? Hehe. Odd enough, fifteen times that amount allows you to apply to join the magical academies that test for certain power signatures. Pass and you can actually enroll! Very expensive. There is where we train the cadre of unicorns that move the sun over Maretonia. During times of illness we can call upon the citizenry, but it is very erratic.”

--------
Sky Crack watched as Dunder went and tried to fly the course as well as anypony could reasonably expect to. It was a comical event, but not without the effort and charm that was the Equestrian ideal. She as pleased he managed to even make one lap in there- she had expected a great percentage of those who would attempt to fail to make it that far.. Luckily he pushed ahead...a little too far ahead. He was supposed to do three laps but he went four...then around for five. He couldn't see but she shook her head and sighed. Orders were important. They must be followed. He would be punished when he went back in, a thought rumbling in her head as she saw him stagger out and ask for armor. She looked around and decided the light greaves for his legs would work.

She grabbed the quadset and approached him, roughly and quickly lifting his legs up once a time and strapping them in all the way up to his upper inner thighs, passing quickly from one to another irregardless of obstacles. She strapped each one in tight, then moved his leg to make sure it had mobility. As she did this, she spoke. “First pass is over. You have made two faults- you disobeyed direct orders to go three laps by going five! Not only have you disobeyed orders, but by staying out of formation you have exposed our lines to harm. For your faults, you shall be punished. Get back to the track- three laps, another part of your armor. Three laps, another part of your armor. You will then be fully armored.  Five laps. Pick up a hasta. Five laps. Pick up a doru. Five laps. Pick up a shield. Five laps. Pick up a crossbow. Five laps- then await further instruction, continuing your laps! Three laps until you are fully armored, then five for every stage afterwards! Go!” She bellowed, forcefully pushing him back into the track and shutting it, kicking a small, packed cloud 'hole'. A charge was sent, forming electricity at the top of track- forming lightning, two bolts, aimed at Dunder as he made his laps. This was punishment!

Ponies who fancy themselves as stallions of the world, such as Earth Writer, tend to think that they are immune to manipulation; that they are wise to the ways and wiles of this world.  This confidence, even when it is well-founded and based off of real experience and travel, has proven the downfall of many, for once anypony manages to get past their defenses, they can be taken in fully.  No doubt Heart Stopper was aware of this little paradox, and was taking full advantage of it with the reporter.

She was a triple threat, this mare.  First she appealed to his experience of travel and knowledge of the world, secondly presenting an opening for his Bohemian desire to get one over the Upper Classes, and thirdly assaulting his mental stability with the image of her in Yoga gear.  The poor unicorn never stood a chance.  But, like so many that Heart stopper had snared into her designs over the years, he was either unaware or not minding all that much.  "It's a good thing you clarified; I would have sworn that Maretonian Crunch was a breakfast cereal.  Would have been embarrassing to put that in print."

Earth Writer laughed, turning his attention back to the subject of their mutual bet, while noting her remarks on the magical academy of Kastrot.  "I see..."  Further musings trailed off as he watched Dunder.  It was... hm, he wasn't sure if he ought to be encouraged by his performance.  After hearing Sky Crack berate him for flying excess laps, and then describing all that the pegasus was going to have to do in order to actually pass... well, already he was writing off those ten bits as a gambling loss.  *And lightning, too, just to seal the deal.*

"Well, I can definitively say that the respective Elites of Maretonia take their entrance exams seriously."  By Celestia's mane, that was exhausting and painful just to look at.  How anypony could fail to have respect for any stallion or mare who could accompish that was simply beyond his comprehension...

The pony's wheezeing was cut up by chuckles and sorts as she navigated under him. The mare tickled him, getting those hard to reach places only made it harder for him to actually listen to her. Dunder knew she was reprimanding him, but what could he do? It was done, and better to go over than under in this situation. He didn't mind the metal greaves that now clung to his forelegs by leather. He gave his hooves two quick taps on each leg after she put the greaves on to make sure that they were on tight and to get a feel for how this strange new armor.

Three laps for armor, then five laps for not armor. Dunder nodded his head as she finished what she was saying. Afterwards Dunder turned back to the hole. Unfortunately, he had no time to psych himself up for the trials of the cyclone. Sky decided to 'motivate' his behind back into the cyclone chamber.

The initial panic of getting bucked back in made Dunder's instincts take over and hover as best he could while gathering his bearings. Then he heard the gentle crack of lightning brewing. But it was too late. His instinct to flee wasn't fast enough so that the lightning could bit him on his back just as he escaped the reach of the magic.

Then back to the trial. Three laps, curaiss; three laps; helmet. When he emerged for the hasta, the back of his coat that peeked around the curiass was pitch black. When he emerged for the shield, it was pitch black, singed to the roots.

Strangely the heavier he got, the faster his laps seemed to be coming along. Dunder used the weight to drop himself, and learned to ride the winds of the cyclone as he spent more time inside.

The cover of the entrance that had seared him twice at every lap lit up last two times. One for each of Dunder's hooves that pushed it open. The added weight helped him build resistance to the harsh cyclone winds. He pulled himself out of the hole. Legs and wings plagued with tremors as the pony got to his hooves, standing crooked and cooked. The stench of his own burns attacking his nostrils.

"THAT WAS BUCK-- cough, cough-- THAT WAS EASY!" Bawled Dunder, "Awaiting further orders!"

Yes, the elites certainly did take their entrance exams. Of course he said this while staring at those brutish Acroneighians, a city which held no elite class as far as she was concerned. All the spear shaking and saber rattling they could muster was of secondary or less priority when they lacked any sort of truly appreciable culture. When Acroneighos' military finally fell out of power and the city was reduced to relying on its economic viability and cultural influence, it would soon vanish from the skies and history books. Kastrot was eternal because it was based on solid economic and social poliy. Acroneighos was a minor influence at most in the long run. Well, by long run she meant tens f thousands of years because Kastrot would obviously live forever and Acroneighos would croak any day now.

“Yes, we all do. Well, maybe all of us except Hippostion. I'm not even sure there are training or education facilities in that Tartarushole of a place. Aceoneighos at least has some sort of code. You go to bed in Hippostion, you wake up in the hold of a vessel going to parts unknown,” she visibly shivered before considering his face. She read him- worried about losing his bet, was he? “Oh, I wouldn't worry about losing this bet. I'm sure those brutes will make sure he takes it all in, one way or another. They send their own children through that, you know. I wish I could believe it toughens them up but it just seems so cruel and without class. They need a guiding hoof but I'm afraid they'd just stab at it,” she mumbled wistfully as she watched the comedic spectacle continue.

------

Sky Crack watched Dunder go about the course with all the diligence she couldn't really expect from an Equestrian, pleased to see him not back down after the first few strikes of lightning. Most ponies would have wilted. Of course, most Acroneighian colts and fillies ran through it when they were still colts and fillies and not when they were big, mature stallions. That made his previous inability to follow orders a little more disheartening, but she tried to blame him as little as possible. He was an Equestrian. They lived in such a free wheeling society that following orders seemed to be something they did poorly. No matter what though their effort was as great as any Acroneighian, and it wasn't entirely too long before Dunder came back out. He was blackened by lightning, singed and terrible smelling. Good. Of course there was another issue. A bigger one.

He had failed to follow instructions. She looked at him sternly. “You were supposed to continue your laps while awaiting further instruction! Failure to obey orders. Failure of full effort. In battle, your orders are paramount and you must commit to them one hundred percent as part of a larger plan of battle. Failure to do so leads to the death of your brothers and sisters in arms, their blood on your hooves! If this were Acroneighos, your failure to follow orders would mean this was a failed test,” her expression softened after a pregnant pause, “which is something most of us did the first few times. Those instructions at the end never come. You keep on flying until you can literally fly no more. This is to judge your commitment to Acroneighos in all things and your willingness and determination to see your tasks through to the end. So I'll grade this as a pass, mostly because I don't think you can take any more,” she laughed ushering him away from the big bad cyclone machine. “Look toasty there. How are you feeling?”

The three booths weren't all that far from the other; Earth Writer was pretty sure the Hipposition envoy was close enough to hear Heart Stopper's put-down of their city.  He looked with interest towards the booth to see if there was any reaction, but perhaps they weren't paying attention.  In all likelihood, it was what they had expected from their fellow Maretonians.  The reporter himself had to chuckle.  "I believe they call that the 'school of hard knocks.'  Never enrolled myself, I have to admit, though I have met many ponies of power and influence who say that it made them what they are.  There are some things that can only be learned by experience, after all."

It was odd, really, how comfortable he was with this whole situation, just sitting here, laughing and listening to the Kastrotian mare.  Her inbuilt convictions of unicorn supremacy were given steadily increasing freedom in expression, and here was an Equestrian, listening to them calmly, taking careful notes.  This was either a gift, or a trap.  And indeed, Earth Writer had intended to be the latter for Heart Stopper, but he was a mere amateur in that game, playing against a professional.  What did she have to worry about?

In fact, as he watched the Acroneighan trial closely, and especially after hearing Sky Crack's debriefing of Dunder, an actual sympathy for her views was beginning to develop.  While the militaristic ethic had many arguable virtues, it had faults as well; it tended to give ponies wooden faces and wooden heads.  Granted that a good military was vital to a state, it still seemed like a bad idea to try to substitute a military for every other state function.  "I... can't say that I think much of the theory that civic virtue and civic vitality is best served by training a citizenry at birth to accept whatever their so-called betters tell them without question.  It begs the question of said leader's intelligence or simply familiarity with the situation actually at hoof."  He was not speaking quietly; now that the wind machine was off, everyone at the Maretonian exhibition could all hear each other.

You dunderhead! Dunder gritted his teeth as she openly continued to openly admonish as soon as he escaped the cyclone. Deep down inside, he wanted to lash out, bring the blame on something other than him. His brain hadn't connected the dots of flying 5 laps and continuing the laps while awaiting orders. She might have been right, maybe he truly had no more left. The thought entered his mind to make a break for the hole again and jump inside, to keep going until his she had nothing left but praise. But his body would have none of it. His legs stayed erect, stiff, and worn, content with resting. Even more the pain in his wings was finally setting in, searing a fresh new pain in his back along with the singed hair and flesh.

He shook his head as she spoke, lowering it. "No, don't pass me. I failed and you know it." He took a deep breath and sighed it out before looking up, "I feel terrible. I thought I could take your trials and I was wrong. I failed to follow orders twice." The peppy tone in his voice was now gone, "This is why they didn't let me join the REA." His head nodded this time before looking up.

"But I don't care. I told you I'd crush your trials easily and twice if I had to. But, maybe there is a reason I wasn't born in Acroneighos." He stood on the edge of the platform that housed the portal to the cyclone and slowly, laboriously spread his wings and jumped, hovering to the ground.

Ah, he failed. Of course he did. The pegasi of Equestria weren't even able to compete with their militaristic brethren. Who could blame them? While they all shared the common features of bravado and low intelligence, no state in the world had made such so-called virtues the byline of a an entire state. It showed just how incredibly shortsighted they were. Military force would fail them and then what would they have? Spears and stupidity, truly the shining example for all pegasikind to follow! In any case, the day was winding down soon. She had to focus back on her chosen task, that of getting this cute little reporter to play a game. Across the way, the Acroneighians stood stonefaced and unmoved by the insults to their city. They knew better than to respond to the taunting of unicorns.

“No, they really aren't the best ways, are they? Not that they'll care. They are blind, deaf, and dumb to any suggestion that they are wrong. They spurn intellectualism and intelligence. They threaten villages with destruction unless they pay tribute and demand an unfair amount be paid. When a city fails to provide the amount of extortion needed, they attack. They call themselves honorable...” she leaned in and whispered, “but I know criminals and I know mercenaries, and I'd trust either over that city,” she fell back, this time with a pleasant smile casually plastered on. “So, the day is growing old and I am a hungry mare. Would you be so kind as to show me around this city of yours, maybe get something to eat? I actually managed to organize a nice yoga class before I arrived. Would you like to attend?”

----

Sky Crack laughed at his upset nature. It was a tough test. You passed or failed based on how the pony running it felt, more or less anyway. She wasn't going to hold Equestrians up to the same standard as an Acroneighian. That was impossible. Acroneighos was the greatest city on earth and home to a chosen species and specific group of ponies who were charged with the great and mighty task of eternal global security. They were the one who patrolled into the vast east and western oceans. They knew the world below Unyai and above the Whitescar. They fought in the badlands, the changeling kingdoms, in the Kingdom of the Griffons, Whitescar, Equestria, Unyasi- and more. Their job was glorious and eternal and it demanded ponies who were just as glorious and eternal. How could an Equestrian hope to pass?

“You passed, so be silent on that topic. You are an Equestrian. This course is designed for a pegasus from Acroneighos. We are raised from birth with duty and discipline some of the most predominant thoughts and lessons hammered into us on a daily basis. Sacrifice in her most glorious name is not just expected, it's desired! You are an Equestrian. No matter your strength of heart, your courage, your endurance, your talents, you are not from Acroneighos. You cannot possibly have passed in a manner befitting an Acroneighian, but you passed in the manner most achievable by an Equestrian. Do not be disheartened! The day grows long. What do you plan on doing next?” She asked, hovering with him as she rejoined the line.

Archived