Glimmer's New Roommate (Private)

Zealot

It's a new day in Canterlot and Glimmer yawns herself awake, stretching out on her bed. What time was it? She didn't know, she didn't care. The pillows were so nice and soft. The pretty unicorn rolled over onto her side and snuggled back down into her comfy bed, nuzzling her pillow. 

Glimmer was in her flat, sleeping in once more. There was a slight chirp of birdsong outside and the bustling of ponies in the street below, all out on their morning chores. Indeed, it was mid-morning. Too early to be up by Glimmer's standards. She didn't have anything to do today right? Well, maybe clean up. Her flat, as usual, was not the cleanest or most organised of accommodation. There were a few leftover meals sitting ready to be washed up: the coffee table needed a thorough scrubbing, there were loose sheets of paper on the couch and on the floor, the oven needed cleaning and there was a bit of a smell coming from Glimmer's kitchen bin, which already had a black bag sitting beside it. It wasn't quite squalor, but it was getting there. 

Contrary to the rest of the flat, Glimmer's bedroom was in good order, other than the loose bedsheets covering the dozing unicorn's form. As always, the bathroom adjacent to the living room was sublime, getting quite a bit of attention. After all, Glimmer couldn't look her best if she didn't have the facilities to do so. 

The actress once more sighed happily and decided that perhaps it was time to get up. After all, she had to do something today, and the smell from the kitchen was bothering her. She lazily got up out of bed, letting her mane fall loose and putting on a pink fluffy dressing gown. She meandered out into the kitchen and started to pour some oats, her ears down and her eyes drooping from sleep. She could have sworn that she had something to do today, but it escaped her completely. Maybe it was clean, the flat was in a bit of a state. Still, she slowly ate her breakfast, blinking slowly and stifling another yawn.

Perhaps her new flatmate could help with the cleaning. Not that Glimmer wanted to subject the poor mare to cleaning alone, but perhaps they could help keep the place in order while Glimmer was out modelling. Wait... Flatmate?

Her eyes shot open as she suddenly realised what she had to get up for. Her new flatmate was moving in today. Oh no. The place was a mess and Glimmer was barely awake. What was she to do? She started to eat her breakfast a little faster now. Surely they'd be here any minute. They had yet to properly be introduced, and it wouldn't be good if this was the first thing they saw...

The slim, tan mare hurried down the busy streets. Her mane was a mess, everything was a mess at that exact point and time.She was pulling a wagon behind her, filled with her belongings. She wove through the ponies on the small streets. It was Mid-morning and she had to at her new home in fifteen minutes.

She repeated the address over and over and in her Head. She did not want to forget it. "Oh dear..." she mumbled to herself. "This is utterly terrible. What impression am I going to make? Being late to move in." She sighed as she dodged pedestrians.

A few minutes later, she had arrived at her new flat. She knocked quietly on the door. "Her name is glimmer. Right?" She dthought to herself. She Took a deep breath and waited for the door to open.

In a flash Glimmer ate her breakfast, gulping down the oats quickly. Indeed, her new flatmate was due to arrive any minute now, and nothing was ready. Well, she would need to fix that. Soon.

The unicorn took the bowl of oats and put it on the washing up board, ready to be washed up along with last night's dinner; yesterday's lunch, yesterday's breakfast and several cups of coffee which were all drunk yesterday. Well, she didn't have time to wash up now, but she could at least tidy up right? Glimmer rushed over to the sofa and gathered up the scatterings of paper into a pile on the table. It wasn't exactly neat, but at least they weren't all over the floor and the sofa. 

"Oh dear, what was her name?" Glimmer asked herself aloud. Indeed, Glimmer had forgotten what her new flatmate was supposed to be called. As she wandered over to the kitchen to start to wash up she racked her brain, trying to remember her name. It had began with a Q right? That didn't leave many possibilities. The unicorn turned on the tap and started to fill the sink with water when she heard a knock. "Oh no, she's here," Glimmer said. "What was her name, Queen? Quesadilla?" she asked aloud, jogging on the spot with indecision. "Umm, coming... you" she called towards the door, turning the tap off. 

Quirky, yes. That was her name. Glimmer sighed as she felt that was the right. Her new roommate's name was Quirky. Glimmer walked over to the door and straightened her mane, doing her best to look presentable. She wasn't, her pink fluffy dressing gown and tired eyes were a dead give away, but at least her mane and tail were straight now. She opened the door and smiled at the tan mare, who looked a bit of a mess herself. Glimmer didn't care though, she needed to make a good first impression. "Hey there Quirky," she greeted her cheerily with an outstretched hoof. "Nice to finally meet you properly. Come on in," she would say, stepping to the side after Quirky had shaken her hoof. "Umm... sorry about the mess... I haven't had much of a chance to clean up this week... Your room is fine though, it's over there next to mine." She gestured roughly towards a door on the other side of the living room, next to another door which led to Glimmer's room.

In a flash Glimmer ate her breakfast, gulping down the oats quickly. Indeed, her new flatmate was due to arrive any minute now, and nothing was ready. Well, she would need to fix that. Soon.

The unicorn took the bowl of oats and put it on the washing up board, ready to be washed up along with last night's dinner; yesterday's lunch, yesterday's breakfast and several cups of coffee which were all drunk yesterday. Well, she didn't have time to wash up now, but she could at least tidy up right? Glimmer rushed over to the sofa and gathered up the scatterings of paper into a pile on the table. It wasn't exactly neat, but at least they weren't all over the floor and the sofa. 

"Oh dear, what was her name?" Glimmer asked herself aloud. Indeed, Glimmer had forgotten what her new flatmate was supposed to be called. As she wandered over to the kitchen to start to wash up she racked her brain, trying to remember her name. It had began with a Q right? That didn't leave many possibilities. The unicorn turned on the tap and started to fill the sink with water when she heard a knock. "Oh no, she's here," Glimmer said. "What was her name, Queen? Quesadilla?" she asked aloud, jogging on the spot with indecision. "Umm, coming... you" she called towards the door, turning the tap off. 

Quirky, yes. That was her name. Glimmer sighed as she felt that was the right. Her new roommate's name was Quirky. Glimmer walked over to the door and straightened her mane, doing her best to look presentable. She wasn't, her pink fluffy dressing gown and tired eyes were a dead give away, but at least her mane and tail were straight now. She opened the door and smiled at the tan mare, who looked a bit of a mess herself. Glimmer didn't care though, she needed to make a good first impression. "Hey there Quirky," she greeted her cheerily with an outstretched hoof. "Nice to finally meet you properly. Come on in," she would say, stepping to the side after Quirky had shaken her hoof. "Umm... sorry about the mess... I haven't had much of a chance to clean up this week... Your room is fine though, it's over there next to mine." She gestured roughly towards a door on the other side of the living room, next to another door which led to Glimmer's room.

Quirky shakes her hoof gingerly "The mess is fine, nothing to worry about." She had small traces of an accent, an Appolosan accent to be exact. It wasn't much though. She looks to the door that leads to her new room, without a doubt she would spend most of her time there. "Thank you very much for choosing me to stay here, with you Miss. Glimmer." She says politely. Quirky made her way to her room with out another word. The thought that it may be rude to just walk away from a conversation hardly crossed her mind. She just wanted to avoid causing her any trouble. She opened the door to her new room. She pulls the wagon in, about to start the process of unpacking.  

Well, they were off to a good start. Or at least, Glimmer hoped they were. The mess was fine. Well, great. That was good right? Though by the way she ignored Glimmer after saying thank you wasn't a good sign. It was too much, right? The mess was the problem and Glimmer had already screwed it up. The unicorn shook her head. No, not yet. She still had plenty of time to turn this around. "Well, you know. I've had a few busy days and I just haven't had time to clean up. I was just starting when you came in," she explained.

As Quirky moved over to her room Glimmer followed her, looking at the wagon of things that Quirky was carrying. She would have offered to help, but it seemed the wagon was only fit for one pony to pull. Still, she continued. "It's not a problem. It'll be nice having another mare around. I can get another opinion on my mane each day and I we can help each other out shopping," she said with a happy smile. Still, she felt like she needed to start up a conversation with her new room-mate. She barely knew her after all. All that was mentioned was her name and occupation. "So, umm. You're a student at... Celestia's School for Gifted Unicorns?" Glimmer asked, genuinely quite interested. "Wow, you must be really smart. I never went to college or university."

Glimmer was definitely going to do her very best to get to know Quirky right off the bat. It didn't occur to her that the unicorn might not want to talk. After all, she was just getting in and might want to be left alone to unpack. Still, that didn't stop Glimmer from wanting to help. "Hey, umm, did you want help with all of this. I'm not all that strong but I'd like to help," she said with a usual bright smile. Even Glimmer had her boundaries though and stopped at the border of Quirky's room, wanting permission to enter and help before just barging in. After all, the room was her private space now and it was important that her new roommate was comfortable. 

"Thank you for thinking I am smart." She smiled a little "and sure...I'll need all the help I can get...I have a lot of things to unpack." She said as she motioned her in. Her mind was racing. Her new roommate was very unlike her, she didn't know the first thing about fashion...or at least she assumed glimmer was into fashion. And shopping? She hardly left her small apartment she used to occupy. She let out a small sigh and pulled out a few boxes, they were a bit heavy, but it was no problem to her.

"Would you happen to have a hammer and some nails?" She asked politely " I have a shelf I would like to hang up." Quirky was very nervous contrary to her cool composure. She hoped and prayed to celestia herself that herself and glimmer would get along. Quirky didn't really have any friends...she wasn't munch of a conversationalist and often kept to herself. Maybe glimmer would understand that and not be offended when she stayed in her room most of the time. Glimmer seemed nice, hopefully quirky made that same impression.

Glimmer meandered into the room just after Quirky said that she would like some help. Indeed, she had a lot to unpack, and Glimmer was happy to help where she could. The unicorn took a case and opened it, taking out objects at random and frowning, not quite sure where to put them. After all, she'd opened what looked like a bag full of books. "Umm, where did you want these?" she asked, looking over at Quirky. "Are these your study books?" she pried once more, "Wow, there sure are a lot of them. Sort of like me and all the play books I have. Well, not quite this many, but I have a fair few. I bet I have more fashion magazines though, I keep a stack by my bedside for when I'm bored," she enthused.

Still, what was that? A hammer and nails? Glimmer hunched slightly as all her blood rushed to her brain as she started to think. Where would she have a hammer and nails? She didn't think she had any, that wasn't the sort of thing she would have. "Umm, a hammer and nails?" she asked, sounding a little perplexed. "I umm, well. I don't have one, sorry," she trails off, going back to unpacking the books. "Umm, maybe the neighbours might have one?" she ponderd with a shrug.

Glimmer wasn't exactly a physically active pony, especially where tools were concerned. She didn't own a hammer, or a set of nails and she'd never put up a shelf before. In fact, the idea that Quirky was putting up a shelf confused her a little. Still, she seemed nice. Perhaps they just had different personalities. Still, at the moment they needed a hammer and nails. One step at a time...

Archived