(Canterlot) (Spellbound) Practice Makes Perfect (Open to Any Spellbound Members)

Lux

Welcome to the Spellbound Practice thread! Here ponies can practice their magic and talents within the controlled environment of the practice area in the Spellbound Guild Hall. Have fun!

Fire Heart walked down the stone steps leading to the basement of the Spellbound Guild Hall. The place was a large open area uninhibited by walls where a unicorn such as her could practice spells in a safe environment. There was plenty of materials to use as well as a huge library of magic books available to the members. The open area seemed eerie though being so empty. 

"Wish I had some ponies to practice with, maybe even help them with their magic," Fire said thinking about what her counselor Ingrid Marie said a year ago that she might make a good teacher. Here was a perfect place to try what might be her career. For now she set forth using her fire magic, creating little fireballs and sending them floating about the room. 

Pyro hummed to himself as he stood outside the building. He had been part of this guild for a little while now, but he had yet to really take advantage of what was available. Oh well, he was here now, and they apparently had a place to practice spells and such.

The fiery unicorn sighed to himself before heading inside and down to the practice area, stopping on the stairs as he saw fireballs floating around. He smiled a bit at that, figuring whoever was down here could be a good partner for training. When he got all the way down, he saw the mare, and after a moment it clicked about who she was.

"Fire Heart?" He said, chuckling a bit. "It's been a while since we've seen each other. How have you been?" As he asked his question, he created his own fireballs, using them as a warmup of sorts as he made them flow around, making shapes and images as they moved around.

She was concentrating on the motions of the fiery orbs, occasionally making them stop or change direction. It was all for trying to manipulate multiple things at once as quickly as possible. The sound of hoof steps on the stairs made her stop but unlike before when she would lose concentration when surprised this time she merely stopped the movement of the fireballs and placed them behind her. Sure enough it was Pyro Blaze, a unicorn with a similar talent who helped her with her magic. 

"Pyro! Nice to see you again! I'm doing great. Final exams are coming up and then it's off to finding a job. And i definitely have a better control on my magic. How are you doing?" 

Pyro smiled as he listened to Fire's words, nodding a bit. That was good to hear, it was nice to know that his friends were doing good. He continued manipulating his fire as it flowed around her fireballs, humming a little bit at her question.

"Can't complain, I guess. It's going fine on my side as well. I think I'm reaching the end of my schooling as well, I'm beginning to think my problem isn't one I can solve through school." He said, shrugging a bit. "A bit obvious in hindsight, that controlling my anger wouldn't really be something I could learn through school."

Fire nodded as she caught up with Pyro Blaze, learning that he indeed shared similar moments as she did. She definitely could understand that certain things weren't able to be learned in a classroom like controlling emotions to control their abilities. She didn't get angry though like him but even so emotions were a big issue in her life. 

"You're right, controlling my emotions is something I had to just learn on my own while at the same time learning in class about how to use my magic. I think I got control of it now mostly. There are times when I slip but they're not as major like before. So, what brings you to Spellbound?" 

Well, that was nothing new for him. He knew controlling his emotions was hard, though anger seemed to be the only one he couldn't keep from affecting his ability to control the flames. Still, he nodded a bit at Fire's words, humming slightly to himself. When she asked her question, he raised an eyebrow, looking at her fireballs and his flame slaloming between them.

"Same thing as you, looks like, to get some practice in with my magic." Pyro said, smiling slightly at Fire as he continued. "I was planning on practicing on my own, but having a training partner would be nice too, if you are willing, of course."

"Well, it seems like great minds think alike," Fire Heart said with a chuckle, "I too was hoping to see a pony here too. So... let's see what we can do." 

She thought about the things the two could do together that wasn't dangerous. The last time they tried to merge two fireballs together they almost created an inferno! 

"Want to try a tug of war with a fireball? Basically I float a ball in the center of the room and we try to claim it with our magic. Sound good?" 

• 3 weeks later...

Pyro smiled at Fire as she spoke, saying she had been hoping to find another pony here. Even better, they were both fire mages, so they could likely help each other even more. His flame continued to dance around the room as Fire looked around. As she spoke again, he grinned and nodded to her. It was true that the last time they practiced magic together they came close to setting a park on fire, but this time was different. For one thing, they both had more practice, and another that they were pulling a single fireball instead of combining two.

"Sounds good to me. Whenever you're ready, Fire." He said, dispelling his flames as he walked to a good spot to do this from. Once there, he turned to face Fire and nodded to show he was ready.

Fire nodded as with a flicker of her horn the flames she was juggling merged into one medium sized fireball. The game wasn't about making a small ball and trying to grab hold of it. Instead she wanted the ball big enough for them to see it and manipulate it. She then moved it into the middle of the largely empty room as she backed away a couple of feet away. 

"On three we will pull on the ball with our magic until one of us gets it. One... Two... Three..." 

With that she pulled on the ball with her magic, ready to meet some resistance by Pyro's magic. 

• 2 weeks later...

Pyro nodded as Fire spoke and set up the scene. His eyes went to the fireball in the center of the room, his horn glowing a bit in preparation. As the countdown ended, his magic grabbed the ball and he pulled, trying to wrest control of the flames from the fiery mare. Their magics strained against the other as they both pulled against the other. Pyro grunted a bit as he pulled, putting everything he had into the little competition.

Ever though the fiery ball was made by Fire Heart, she found that it wasn't an easy task relinquishing it from Pyro's magical grasp. He certainly had power when it came to controlling fire, much more than when she met him. Still this was no reason to just relent as she poured more magic into here telekinesis, pulling the ball slowly towards her.

Pyro growled slightly as Fire began gaining ground in the tug of war, the ball moving towards her slowly. He was not going to let the ball go that easily though, and he began tugging harder, struggling against her grip. He poured more magic into his efforts, the ball stopping and beginning to move back towards him.

Fire may have the upper hoof now, but she knew it wasn't going to be for long. Pyro soon pulled the fireball back his way as she felt the spike in his magic. 

"Time to turn things up!" she said as she focused more on her magic, pulling the ball back to the center area. But before she could concentrate pulling it towards her the ball suddenly split into two from their pull. 

• 2 weeks later...

Pyro smiled to himself as the ball moved towards him. Good, he was winning. Unfortunately, that did not last as Fire poured in more magic and gained the upper hoof again. He growled to himself, though that was cut of as the fireballs split in half. The sudden and unexpected release in tension caught him by surprise and he fell over onto his back as his part of the fireball flew by over him. He stopped it before it could hit anything, then stared at it as he floated it back over to them.

"Well... I guess that's a tie then..." He said, getting back onto his hooves.

Like a rubber band snapping, Fire Heart flew backwards when the fireball split into two parts. She found herself lying on her back as the fire ball continued moving from the energy. With a quick flicker of her horn the ball shrunk and then extinguished before lighting anything else on fire. 

"Well that was unexpected," Fire said getting up on her hooves, "Maybe it's because we have the same magic type. Anyway,do you have something you want to work on that I can help you with?" 

Pyro sighed slightly as he looked at the part of the ball he had grabbed. He dissipated it after a second or so, looking at Fire as she began speaking again. He tilted his head a little as he thought about what she said about them having the same magic type. He supposed that could be the cause of what happened, but he wasn't really sure.

"Well, I seem to have pretty good control over it... It's just when I get angry that there tends to be a problem..." He said, shrugging a bit as he focused on the mare again and the rest of what she had said. 

• 3 weeks later...

OOC: Sorry for the delay. This thread got lost in the shuffle somehow. 

Fire Heart, upon hearing Pyro's problem with his magic pondered what to do to help him. This wasn't something easy to teach as it involved the stallion's emotions, and Fire was by no means a psychologist. The only thing she could depend on in this situation was her own experiences and how her ability shared the same strengths and weaknesses of Pyro's. But like any problem she learned in school that she had to first get a sense of what she was working with before coming up with an answer. 

"Ok, I'm going to try and help you with this as I know how much of a pain it is to have magic go out of control. But first I have a few questions about your problem. How often in a week do you get angry, and is it specific times or sporadically happens?" 

Pyro paused a bit at Fire's question, blinking a little bit. He was silent for a bit, floating some fire around absently as he thought about it. He wasn't really sure if he could give an answer to that, it wasn't like he kept track of every time he got angry.

"Well... Not too often, I suppose... It depends on what's going on during the week..." He said, humming to himself slightly. "Obviously, some things make me angrier than others. So, like I said, it depends." He finished, shrugging a bit and dispelling the fire he had been floating around.

Fire Heart listened as she tried to find the root cause of Pyro's problems with his magic. It sounded like it wasn't a common occurrence thankfully, nor was it at a set time or event.The problem though was that the randomness of the event made it harder to diagnose. 

"Ok, so it happens at certain times. Well then, what do you think triggers you to lose control of your magic?" 

"Getting angry." Pyro said, pausing a bit before speaking again. "Well, getting too angry does it. I can get angry and still have control over my magic, to a point. Anger makes it harder to control." He finished, looking at Fire again. He didn't really want to list things that would make him angry, as it might be kinda long.

"Well I know how you feel about that. I don't get angry often, more like upset when ponies are mean to each other. But it gave me the same effect of losing control of my magic." 

She thought about the techniques that her friends and teachers taught her about magic and controlling it, trying to decide on the next course of action for Pyro. 

"Sorry about all these questions. I guess you were expecting practicing with your magic rather than just talking. I'm still trying to come up with a way to help you, so unfortunately I have a few more things to ask. How long do you use control of your magic typically, and when you do lose control what do you do to regain control?" 

Pyro watched Frie as she asked her next question after explaining that she was trying to figure out how to help him control his magic better. He gave a small hum as he thought about it, then looked back to her with a shrug.

"Well, I tend to find somewhere to get rid of the excess when it happens. Not sure why, but it's almost like my magic feeds off my anger and makes the magic too wild and abundant for me." He said, watching Fire a bit as he awaited her response.

"Hmm..." Fire said as if she was taking copious mental notes about his issue with magic before talking again, "So you're able to get rid of this build up of magic safely, but was there ever a time that you couldn't get rid of it safely? Also, is anger the emotion the fuels your magic the most or do others do so?"

"Well, it seems to be just the anger. I haven't noticed any other emotions affecting my magic like that." Pyro said, tapping his chin with a hoof as he thought about her first question. "As for your other question... There was one time during the Running of the Leaves in Ponyville... Let's just say they weren't exactly my proudest moments."

That was a good sign when Fire heard that Pyro had anger be the only emotion that affected his magic. This was different from Fire Heart who all extreme emotions affected her. But still the stallion was suffering from issues that triggered dangerous magical outbursts which left unchecked could remain the same or worse grow less to control. 

"Ok, so to summarize, only anger affects you, these events happen not very frequently but enough to cause concern, and you are about to at least correct things by moving to a safe location and waiting or you to control. So the main thing is to learn how to control your magic quicker to avoid having to run off and wait for your magic to subside. Have you tried breathing exercises?" 

Archived