(Canterlot) (Spellbound) Practice Makes Perfect (Open to Any Spellbound Members)

Lux

"Yep, yes, pretty much, and sounds about right." He said as she made her little summary of what he had said. Well, at least he knew she had been listening. Not that he thought she hadn't been, but still.

"Breathing exercises? Not sure those would help... Usually by the time I'm angry enough for it to really matter, I'm in no position to be taking a breather." Pyro said, blinking a bit at Fire's suggestion. "I suppose it would be worth a shot though. Nothing ventured, nothing gained, after all." He added, shrugging a bit.

Feeling that she was on the right track, Fire Heart was ready to try some techniques that she picked up over the years while in school and from friends. 

"Well nothing ventured, nothing gained. Breathing techniques worked for me, so they might work for you. Now, what i want you to do is close your eyes, take a deep breath, hold it for a few seconds, then release it. When you take in a breath, think about calmness entering your body, and when you breathe out think about all that anger and tension leaving your body. I'll show you first." 

With that the red unicorn closed her eyes and did the breathing exercise for Pyro to see. 

"It may seem strange at first but each time you do it the exercise gets easier until it becomes second nature. Now, why not give it a try?" 

• 3 weeks later...

(Fine by me.)

Pyro sighed and nodded to Fire's words, watching her perform the exercise. He wasn't sure he would ever actually remember to do it in the heat of the moment, but he supposed it wouldn't hurt to learn something like this just in case. As she finished, he nodded to her again, closing his eyes and repeating what she had shown him.

Really, it just felt weird. He wasn't angry, so it really didn't do anything but slow his breathing. After a couple cycles, he opened his eyes and blinked a little bit.

"Well... That would probably be more effective if I was actually angry..." He said, shrugging and cracking his neck a bit. "Thanks for the help though, Fire." He added, smiling at her.

Starry closed her eyes as she focused, which was rather hard-by the way.  Especially if there were two ponies constantly talking near her.  She knew it was none of her business, but she couldn't help but keep her spells quite to listen in on the conversation.  It seemed that the mare was coaching the stallion on different spells-interesting.  She decided to confront them rather than remain a hidden shadow, "Hello.  I couldn't help but eavesdrop-both of you seem very talented.  If you allow-I'd like to give a bit of advice to...um...Mr. Stallion,"

Fire watched as Pyro Blaze tried out the breathing techniques. After a few times he opened his eyes, not looking more relaxed. 

"Well... That would probably be more effective if I was actually angry..." He said, shrugging and cracking his neck a bit. "Thanks for the help though, Fire." 

"I agree, but if you practice it when you're not angry it'll become a habit, like eating or galloping. There is another way to release that anger: doing something creatively! Do you like to write or draw or sing? Doing that can help you vent some of the stress and suppress your magical flares. I know dancing helps me to relax and not lose control." 

In her attempts to help the stallion, Fire Heart didn't see that in the vastness of the Practice Area there was another unicorn, until she spoke up. Fire turned to see a very interesting looking mare with yellow stripes winding around her legs and neck. But there was something about her eyes. Was she blind? It didn't matter much to Fire, except of course feeling sorry that the unicorn was that way. After all, a pony was a pony no matter what they looked like. 

"Oh hello. Sorry that I didn't see you here before. I'm Fire Heart. What's your name?" 

• 3 weeks later...

"Eh, I guess. I like drawing sometimes, and I'm not adverse to signing along to a good song." Pyro said, giving Fire a thankful smile for her help. When the other mare spoke up, he looked over at her in surprise. Honestly, he hadn't even known she was in here with them.

"Sure... I'll take what I can get. I'm Pyro Blaze, by the way. Nice to meet you." He said, smiling a bit at the new mare.

She smiled at the two of them, "Hello!  I was just scanning you and your spells with my infrared magic, and I guess you're working on controlling your anger?"  She didn't wait for them to reply, "Sometimes, I find it best to channel my anger into the spell, rather than use spells and techniques to calm it down.  Focus on your anger, then squeeze it so hard until it becomes a stream of magic to use for spells.  It's a bit dangerous and the spell could end up very powerful, but it's something to keep in mind if you are ever in a tight spot and just need an extra boost of magic.  After all, magic does rely on the pony's emotions sometimes,"

She cast her infrared spell again, scanning to see if they had moved.  They hadn't. 

Fire Heart nodded as Pryo Blaze listed the ways that he liked to calm himself. 

"Those all sound good. So when you feel upset enough to possibly lose control I'd try to get away from the situation and either doodle something maybe on a notebook or sing something as that can be the difference between losing control and keeping it." 

She wanted to help out more, and now with another pony offering her help, maybe there were other ways that the red unicorn had not thought of. 

"Sometimes, I find it best to channel my anger into the spell, rather than use spells and techniques to calm it down.  Focus on your anger, then squeeze it so hard until it becomes a stream of magic to use for spells.  It's a bit dangerous and the spell could end up very powerful, but it's something to keep in mind if you are ever in a tight spot and just need an extra boost of magic.  After all, magic does rely on the pony's emotions sometimes,"

"Hmm..." Fire replied thinking about this idea the new pony planned, "While it would be great to convert that anger into being used for a spell it is also very dangerous. I would think if this was done, what's to say that the next time a pony gets upset that they release magic that is not super powered by this extra boost of magic? It would be like adding extra fuel to a fire! Actually, that is what Pyro and I have with our magic, that it's tied closely to our emotions. So when he or I get upset or excited it affects our magic directly. Speaking of magic, what magic do you use often?" 

• 2 weeks later...

"I do... Though not usually on purpose..." Pyro said, blinking a bit at the mare's suggestion of using his anger to empower his magic. "And even when I do do that on purpose it doesn't always end well..."

"Oh, and thanks for the help, Fire, I appreciate it." He said, smiling at the mare briefly before turning his attention back to the newcomer.

"I'm..." she stuttered, "I don't have a specific magic that I follow, preferring to be average in all fields of all spells rather than a master in one or two of them.  I also have this...neat...infrared spell that, um," she stopped.

She wasn't usually like this, she never stuttered in front of other ponies!  But-something about these two were different.  They weren't the regular, snobbish ponies she dealt with; the nerdy scientists; or anything she could classify into a cliche.  Something about them set them apart from any other pony she had met before...and that confused her.

"I'm blind," she picked up with renewed vigor, "and the spell gives me the infrared readings of the radius I cast my spell around,"

Fire Heart tensed as she heard the newcomer began to stutter. She hoped her words didn't upset the unicorn, but she knew what extra energy plus anger could do.

"I don't have a specific magic that I follow, preferring to be average in all fields of all spells rather than a master in one or two of them.  I also have this...neat...infrared spell that, um,"

It was interesting seeing how another pony studied. Whereas Fire and Pyro focused their efforts on spells that reflected their talent, the new unicorn wanted to learn as much as she could. But what intrigued Fire the most was this infrared spell. Fire could see the need of it in a dark room, but despite being in a basement the place was well-lit. Unless...

"I'm blind," she picked up with renewed vigor, "and the spell gives me the infrared readings of the radius I cast my spell around."

"I'm sorry that you are blind, but I'm glad to hear you found a spell to at least detect other ponies or objects. How big of an area can you detect?"

• 2 weeks later...

She was blind? Huh... He never would've guessed with her spell she uses, but he supposed that was sort of the point...

"Well, that's cool, I guess. Glad you found a way to see stuff." He said, smiling a bit. "I am trying to become a guard, so I like to focus more on offensive and defensive uses for my magic."

• 2 weeks later...

She nodded towards her two new friends, "A guard, eh?  I've met one or two in my life..."  she turned to the other, "It's radius differs every time.  It's proportional to the withholding mana I own, and the experience one has in the spell.  On a day with around seventy-five mana and pure magic, the radius can expand to..."

She froze, and sheepishly blushed, "Sorry, did I lose you somewhere?  The radius depends on the amount of magic I have, and how 'good' I'm feeling,"

"You name's Pyro?  And yours is Fire?  I'm Starry Requiem, resident infrared astronomer at the Royal Canterlot Observatory,"

"It's radius differs every time.  It's proportional to the withholding mana I own, and the experience one has in the spell.  On a day with around seventy-five mana and pure magic, the radius can expand to..."

She froze, and sheepishly blushed, "Sorry, did I lose you somewhere?  The radius depends on the amount of magic I have, and how 'good' I'm feeling,"

"Oh, well that makes sense. I've rarely heard ponies mention the word 'mana' only using 'energy' instead. Guess that's what had me confused.  That happens to me as well with any magic I do and whether I'm tired or sick or healthy."

"I am trying to become a guard, so I like to focus more on offensive and defensive uses for my magic."

"Oh right, I do remember you saying you wanted to be a guard. Actually, I remember thefirst pony who had magic like me was a guard as well."

"I am trying to become a guard, so I like to focus more on offensive and defensive uses for my magic."

"Oh wow, an astronomer! That must be a fun career. I like to do a little stargazing myself, just not with all the fancy equipment you have I'm sure. Nice to meet you Starry."

• 4 months later...

She smiled, "I prefer mana, because..." she paused, "around three years ago, the Canterlite started using the world 'energy' as some descriptive word meaning cool or something.  Got everyone all mixed up when I used it in lectures.  Nice to meet you too!  I love my job, and infrared means I can 'see',"

Royal Guards were interesting.  She only met a few before, and this one was a lot...nicer than she expected, "It ain't easy work as a Royal Guard: best of luck,"

(Sorry, kinda forgot about this one.) 

Pyro hummed slightly as he listened to the two mares talking, nodding a bit to Fire's words to him before looking at Starry. 

"I know. I'm not going into this without knowing about the job." He said, nodding again. "Thank you though."

Archived