Hot Sand, Cool Ponies and Griffons (Open)

RainbowFoxxy

(if you would like to be in this thread, make sure to drop by the OOC thread to check for updates and add to the planning :))

tidebreakerforsite_zpse573c149.jpg

Tide couldn't help but smile as she trotted down the coast. She was finally here! Bridleback Shore! The pegasus had been planning the trip from Fillydelphia for so long she thought the day would never come! But here it was. She had taken time off work to get to the pleasant shores, that evidently had some killer surf! She gazed out over the waves, watching a perfect left break right in front of her!

"Geez, if I had gotten here any later I would have missed the tide!" She trotted a little further and dropped her board on the sand. It wasn't long before she had her rash guard on. The orange pony knelt down to comb the wax on her board for a moment. "Time to shred!"

A few minutes later the she was in her element! The wind was offshore, the warm cool, and the conditions weren't crowded at all! What a perfect day. She paddled hard and caught a great wave. Once she was up and surfing the mare opened her wings and felt the wind and water beneath them as she traveled on the face of the wave. After blasting a couple sweet turns she launched off and paddled back for more!

Tide Breaker surfed on. She was tired but the waves were just too good to pass up. She eyed the shore, wondering why there weren't more surfers out on the water today. "Not that I want to share these." She laughed as she caught another epic wave. What a great day!

Razor dove from the air, a bag filled with the needed supplies and a folded and tied up beach umbrella in his talons. It made flying a difficulty, but it was worth it to have all the stuff he needed to just enjoy a relaxing day at the beach. Summer was almost over after all.

"I'll just sit back, enjoy the hot sand and the cool breeze of salty air and water. And no krakens! No sea adventures. No marooning on islands. Just.....gonna....relax." He said to himself as he finished his dive, unfolding his wings and landing gently on a nice patch of sand. He felt the warmth of the sand with his paws and talons, and as he set up his umbrella and bag, holding a cooler and a few bottles of sunscreen, and sunglasses, he dug at the sand a bit with his paws to get the gravel shifted a bit. There...just right.

He set his beach chair down, spinning it on the sand before unfolding it, and set the umbrella, still closed for now next to it. He tossed on a pair of sleek black sunglasses and lounged back on his chair.

"Ahhhh....finally. Some relaxation." He said, sighing in relief as he stretched and took a deep breath of air. He could just smell the salty brine of the sea.

'And no krakens. Never again.' He thought.

dive_bomb_by_kitsune85-d952uet.png

Sky Flare needed a vacation. It wasn't that his job moving clouds about was too strenuous or boring, but the Pegasus felt like he needed to see more of Equestria than his home in Cloudsdale. Fortunately the moving floating cloud city made its round to the South, giving him the opportunity to visit the beach nearby. As he flew over the ocean, the bordering beach looked very empty. Well he would have wanted to meet other ponies but still there was the beach. Looking at the water Sky got an idea. 

"Why just trot into the water when I can do it in style!" He said as he dove downward towards the ocean, a fiery looking contrail appearing before him. When he got within a few feet of the water he folded his wings and let his speed and gravity take hold. 

"Dive bomb!" he shouted as he plunged into the water, a few seconds passing before coming up for air. He turned to see an orange Pegasus poised on a surf board nearby, but why did it look like she was ready to ride a wave? Unless...

"Uh oh!" the stallion said as his ears flattened hearing the roar of a big wave and turning to see a shadow of the wall of water creep over him. 

Dusty Skies had way too much time to kill lately. She was either working her usual weather shifts or just floating around not doing much. Sure, she had stunts to practice, but the skies of Manehattan...weren't the best place to do it. Too many snobby pegasi in her way. 

So so the mare decided to take a couple days off and take a trip to the beach. Besides, she was always looking for better places to fly, and what could beat coming up with new tricks along with the salty sea air? No ponies, no big buildings, just her and the beach. And the best part of it all?

The sand didn't hurt when you crashed into it!

"Woo-hoo!" She shouted, letting the wind carry her all over the beach until she found a perfect spot. Right smack in the middle, not too close to the boardwalk or the ocean. Sure, it was right near some other pony's stuff, but they probably wouldn't mind, right. But she still called out a, "Look out below!" just in case.

And then without hesitation, she went straight into the dive bomb- straight downwards, pinning her wings to her sides and letting gravity take over. She then spun her body a bit, like a drill. But unfortunately, that last bit made her lost her since of aim, and...

"Ow!" She grumbled, though it was muffled by the fast that her head was in the sand. Thank Celestia she had goggles. She pulled her head out like an ostrich, spitting some sand out of her mouth. She then looked around and saw what she ran into- that other pony's stuff. The umbrella was knocked over completely and a good distance away, as well as bottles of sunscreen and other beach stuff everywhere. Whoops.  

A crooked smile came across her, and Dusty rubbed the back of her neck like she always did when these types of things happened. Which was...more often than she'd like to admit. "Heh...um, sorry about that. Here, I'll help clean it up..." She then grabbed a stray bottle of sunscreen, her green eyes glancing up to see who this pony was that she ran into. Only to find that he wasn't a pony at all!

Dusty perked up a little, looking a bit less awkward. "Oh hey! You're a griffon! That's cool," He seemed a bit smaller than she pictured most griffon though. Maybe he was younger? Oh well. But another idea then popped up in her mind, and the Pegasus quickly glanced up at the sky and then back at him. "Hey, maybe you should stretch those wings of yours and do some flying! It's totally fun! ...Er, after I finish helping you pick this up of course..." Her smile then faded as she continued to pick up the griffon's things. Sure, messes were awesome to make, but cleaning them up? That was a different story...

Tide was having such a great day! So many awesome waves that she couldn't possibly catch them all. There had been so many sets and she had gotten pretty much the best of them all! She had just paddled up onto an epic wave. It was just beginning to break, the perfect moment to catch the wave of the day!

"This is it! Time to catch one awesome wave!" She paddled hard and then jumped into position. When she waxed her board she also waxed the feathers on her wings. That made them water tight and ready to help her gain extra speed on the waves. She was up and going down the face of the wave when she spotted a white pony right in her path!

"Look out!" She shouted as she flapped her wings and lifted off of the board. This made the board shoot forward so she wouldn't run over the pony in front of her. "Geez, kooks always on the inside of my waves..." She mumbled to herself as she ducked up and under the wave. Her board was on a leash that was attached to her hind hoof. It shot out next to her and she paddled nearer to the pony who had made her miss the wave.

"Stay outta the inside stud muffin! That was a great wave you made me miss. Maybe you should go back to the be-" She cut her words short. If he was new out here, he wouldn't know that he had robbed her of the wave. Plus he was kind of cute. "Never mind...sorry." She tried to give him a little smile.

Razor was relaxing, stretching lazily as he looked up at the warm sun as its delightful rays heated his body. He purred in delight at the feeling, and he felt rather sleepy in the sun. He heard someone say something from above, but he ignored it as he reached for his drinks in his basket by the rest of his stuff.

And instead heard something smash into his stuff, sending up sand that fell on him and sent his stuff flying.

Leaving Razor's claw hanging there, reaching for nothing. And it started to shake.

'Just.....wanted.....peace.' He thought as he removed his glasses, got off his chair and shook the sand off him and turned to give the idiot who dared disturb his peace with a glare that would send a timber wolf running.

"Who the-" He started with a low growl, but his voice cut off and went into a choking sound as he got a better look at who was before him.

It was a mare, who was now reaching to pick up his stuff. Razor felt his heart beat faster and his feathers stand on end in shock and nervousness as he leaned back in fear.

"Ah...wh-what? Oh uh...yeah...pick that stuff up. Now!" He said, stammering a bit, "And maybe instead of asking me why I'm not in the air I should be asking you why you were if you can't keep from crashing into somegriffon trying to relax." He snapped the last part, perhaps a bit too harshly.

But this mare was making him uneasy. All girls did, and this one had him between angry and nervous now. He just hoped she didn't get any closer.

Dusty took a curious glance at the griffon as he spoke. He seemed to be a mix of angry and...nervous? Nervous about what? But still, this guy was tense, and she didn't like tense. It reminded her of all the upper class ponies she didn't like, the exact thing she came here to get away from. 

"Okay, okay..." She waved a hoof in the air in some sort of surrender. "Geez, don't need to go all Manehattan on me..." A small sigh escaped her, and her green eyes cast down again, a few locks of her tomboyish mane falling in her face. Her hooves scrambled to pick up the rest of his things, trying her best to put them back where they belonged. 

Bu come on,  he was a griffon, not a fancy unicorn! Maybe all this guy needed was a bit of cheering up! The mare got back up on her hooves, smiling crookedly at him. "C'mon, dude! Lighten up a lit-" She trailed off, eyes going right past Razor. The umbrella! It was flying away in the breeze, tumbling further and further down the beach. 

"Horse apples...be right back!" She said, leaping right overtop the griffon and breaking into flight after the runaway umbrella. Her hooves flailed in the air as she got close, trying but failing to grab it before it went in the ocean.

Sky Flare was in danger of the wave approaching, but he then saw the mare and her board fast approaching. Fortunately she flew off thee board allowing the board to sail by. He quickly ducked under as the wave passed harmlessly under him. 

"Stay outta the inside stud muffin! That was a great wave you made me miss. Maybe you should go back to the be- Never mind...sorry."

He looked at her for a moment, questioning why she suddenly changed her mind. Maybe it was that she saw him as new to the beach, but maybe there was something else. 

"Heh, sorry about the run in. I didn't see you when I dove in. So, I take it you're from here, right?"

"Heh, sorry about the run in. I didn't see you when I dove in. So, I take it you're from here, right?"

Breaker had her eyes on the next set as the stalli9on began talking to her. She had started to paddle back out and nodded towards the line out past the breakers.

"Yeah, I'm here fairly often. The surf is really pumpin' today! I'm stoked to talk to you, but do you mind if we paddle out there together first?"

She was being a bit more friendly than usual. The combo of good surf and the fact that the stallion seemed like a nice guy was making her feel good!

"My name's Tide Breaker by the way, what yours?" She asked as she started to paddle.

Razor watched as the mare went after his flying umbrella. He sighed, pinched his beak and rubbed it as he felt a slight headache come on.

'So much for relaxing.' He thought.

He saw that the mare was failing to retrieve his umbrella and he growled in irritation as he unfurled his wings and shot from the ground in a burst of sand and torpedoed after his umbrella, catching up with the mare within a few moments and past her as he angled himself to the water.

He tried to keep himself from being splashed. He hated getting wet.

He grabbed for the umbrella, just before it started to sink, and grunted as he lifted it out, flapping his wings to get him away from the water.

"Finally. You know your flying could use some work, you flail about too much." He said to the mare as he dove down and glided back to the warm sand and to his spot.

"Great now its gonna need to dry." He said, sticking the umbrella back into the sand, and unfurled it to let it dry off. He moved his chair away from it, to avoid being dripped on.

He turned his head to the mare that had caused his disturbance of peace, "So...what did you say your name was?"

Dusty's attempt at saving the griffon's umbrella wasn't going too well, it was already getting in the ocean. Her hooves brushed the water as she hovered, about to finally get it. But out of seemingly nowhere, the griffon sped up and grabbed it instead. It was a bit awkward to watch, as if he was purposefully avoiding the water...but, wait, did he just catch up to her that quick? Dang. 

But that sense of awe was nearly immediately replaced with a slight frown as the griffon commented on her flying. "Hey, I'm a good flier! I just flail when I try to grab things. Hooves can be tricky you know," Well, he really didn't know, but still, she was sure most ponies were envious of the creatures ability to easily pick up things. 

"Besides, I'm built more for tricks than speed," She went on, following the griffon back to where he originally had parked his things. While the mare thought she was okay in the speed category, she didn't think of it as much more than merely that. Besides, it was much more interesting to see what one could actually do in the air. If you were fast, then it only took a few seconds to prove that, but tricks where a whole different thing. She took a quick curious glance at the griffon, wondering what he could do in the air. 

Well at the very least, he wasn't completely mad at her. So that was a plus. In fact, he was even asking for a name! "Right. I'm Dusty, Dusty Skies. Again, sorry about, uh...earlier," She awkwardly looked away, but was practically immediately able to regain her composure and looked at him once more. He did need a name other than 'the griffon' after all. "So what's your name?"

Sky Flare noticed that when speaking with the surfing pony she seemed not to turn his way. Would she accept his misstep or was she giving him the cold shoulder? Maybe she was focused on something else.

"Yeah, I'm here fairly often. The surf is really pumpin' today! I'm stoked to talk to you, but do you mind if we paddle out there together first?"

The white stallion breathed a sigh of relief that she was indeed listening. Despite focused on the next wave she was very friendly towards him. 

"Oh sure we can," Sky said as he paddled further out from the shore, buffeted by the breakers a bit, but still ok. He didn't have much opportunity swimming in Cloudsdale, but he could still swim fairly well. 

"My name's Tide Breaker by the way, what yours?" 

"Nice to meet you Tide Breaker. I'm Sky Flare. As far as beaches go, I guess it's kind of obvious that I'm not from around here huh? Actually I live in Cloudsdale but since it moves about I got to stop here and see the beach. And well that's when I met you." 

"...And well that's when I met you."

Tide Breaker nodded as the stallion spoke. Yep, he seemed like a nice enough guy. She decided to just forgive him for making her mis that last wave. There would be more. Speaking of which...

"Here comes a good one! You know how to use that board Sky Flare?" She spoke while she started to paddle into position. She wondered if he could surf or if he had just paddled out to hang out with her. Either way, she was going for this wave!

Archived