NFL 'Modified' Elimination Pool Game Selection Challenge 2 and MORE

Mojo

W8cZOcL.jpg

For the second straight year, I will be operating this NFL Modified Elimination Pool Game Challenge.

For those who are new to the concept, here's how it works:

Each week, participants select ONE and only one NFL team they believe will win their game.

If that team wins, that participant scores one point for the week.

If that team loses or ties, that participant gets no points.

The only other rule in the pool is this: Once you pick a team to win for a week, you cannot pick that same team to win for the rest of the season. In other words, if I pick the Steelers to win in Week 1, I cannot pick them to win again. Thus, this will limit a participant's selections more and more as the season goes on. So, choose carefully!

In a 'true' elimination pool, once a participant's team loses, then they're OUT of the game. However, since the idea here is to play for the season, I've modified the 'win or go home' rule.

Anyone is more than welcome to play and I will be keeping 'score' all season!

Week 1 of the NFL season starts on September 10th.  That will be the submission deadline for the first winning selections of the season.  For those who want to get started early, here's the NFL schedule for Week 1.  If you played the game last season, welcome back!  If you are a new participant, welcome as well!   Good luck to all!

Week 1

(all game times EDT)

Thursday, Sept. 10
Steelers at Patriots, 8:30 p.m. (NBC)

Sunday, Sept. 13
Colts at Bills, 1 p.m. (CBS)
Packers at Bears, 1 p.m. (Fox)
Chiefs at Texans, 1 p.m. (CBS)
Panthers at Jaguars, 1 p.m. (Fox)
Browns at Jets, 1 p.m. (CBS)
Seahawks at Rams, 1 p.m. (Fox)
Dolphins at Redskins, 1 p.m. (CBS)
Saints at Cardinals, 4:05 p.m. (Fox)
Lions at Chargers, 4:05 p.m. (Fox)
Ravens at Broncos, 4:25 p.m. (CBS)
Bengals at Raiders, 4:25 p.m. (CBS)
Titans at Buccaneers, 4:25 p.m. (CBS)
Giants at Cowboys, 8:30 p.m. (NBC)

Monday, Sept. 14
Eagles at Falcons, 7:10 p.m. (ESPN)
Vikings at 49ers, 10:20 p.m. (ESPN)

And there's MORE:

In addition to the Elimination Pool Game, watch this thread for weekly reminders of a new NFL pick'm game Riverhippo will be hosting on NFL.com this season!  Of course, anyone wishing to participate in that game will have to register at the NFL.com website.

Also, this thread will host the THIRD annual 'SteelEagle Standings' too!  Look for SteelEagle himself to explain this game to you soon.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rules of the SteelEagle Standings:

The only games that matter are Seahawks games.

if you pick against the Seahawks, you lose.

If you pick the Seahawks and they lose, you lose.
If you pick the Seahawks and they win, you win.
A series of tiebreakers are in place.
The first one is: Are you SteelEagle? If so, you win. If not, you lose.
The others will come into play after that.

If the Seahawks make the Super Bowl, all people with records of 12+ wins are eligible for a special prize.
You win the prize if the Seahawks win the Super Bowl.

Elimination Pool pick:
Bengals

In addition to Mojo's Elimination pool game, which is fun, I would like to invite everyone who wants to join me and my friends, mostly people from Canterlot, in a season-long game of weekly pick 'em.  This game will be in the traditional style, with a progressive scoring system that rewards domination and luck.  You pick every game every week.  If you are interested in this, I'm excited to share that this will be held on NFL.com's fantasy pick site.  We have our own group to keep things organized, so we don't need to type out our picks.  However, I encourage you boast your predictions in this thread.

If you are interested, here is what you should do:

Step 1: Go to http://weeklypickem.fantasy.nfl.com/

Step 2: Before you place your picks, make sure you sign in to your NFL.com account.  If you don't have one, create one, it's easy and free!

Step 3: PM me, riverhippo, and ask me for the group name and password.  Our group is set to private.

Step 4: Go to http://weeklypickem.fantasy.nfl.com/ again and search for the group name and enter the password.

And that's it!  You're ready to pick 'em.  Here are the official rules to the site's pick 'em policy:

RULES

Official Rules.

NO PURCHASE NECESSARY TO PARTICIPATE.

This Game May Not Be Used To Conduct, Advertise Or Promote Any Form Of Gambling.

1. Registration Period:

Registration for the Game begins at 3:00:00 pm Eastern Time (ET) on 8/3/15 and ends at kickoff of the final regular season game, scheduled to take place 1/3/16.

2. Game Period:

The Game Period begins at kickoff (approximately 8:30 p.m. ET) of the first 2015 NFL regular season game scheduled to take place on 9/10/15 and ends at the completion of Super Bowl 50 on 2/7/16. Exact dates are subject to change dependent upon the NFL schedule (the Game Period). The Game and participation in the Game are subject to these Official Rules. The Game Period will be divided into twenty-one (21) weekly periods (each, a Weekly Scoring Period) during which fantasy points will be accumulated. The Weekly Scoring Periods are as follows:

Weekly Scoring Period Weekly Scoring Period Starts at Kickoff on the First Game at: Weekly Scoring Period Ends at the Completion of the Last Game Played at:

1 Approx. 8:30pm ET on 9/10/15 Approx. 1:15am ET on 9/14/15

2 Approx. 8:20pm ET on 9/17/15 Approx. 11:59:59pm ET on 9/21/15

3 Approx. 8:20pm ET on 9/24/15 Approx. 11:59:59pm ET on 9/28/15

4 Approx. 8:20pm ET on 10/1/15 Approx. 11:59:59pm ET on 10/5/15

5 Approx. 8:20pm ET on 10/8/15 Approx. 11:59:59pm ET on 10/12/15

6 Approx. 8:20pm ET on 10/15/14 Approx. 11:59:59pm ET on 10/19/14

7 Approx. 8:20pm ET on 10/22/15 Approx. 11:59:59pm ET on 10/26/15

8 Approx. 8:20pm ET on 10/29/15 Approx. 11:59:59pm ET on 11/2/15

9 Approx. 8:20pm ET on 11/5/15 Approx. 11:59:59pm ET on 11/9/15

10 Approx. 8:20pm ET on 11/12/15 Approx. 11:59:59pm ET on 11/16/15

11 Approx. 8:20pm ET on 11/19/15 Approx. 11:59:59pm ET on 11/23/15

12 Approx. 12:30pm ET on 11/26/15 Approx. 11:59:59pm ET on 11/30/15

13 Approx. 8:20pm ET on 12/3/15 Approx. 11:59:59pm ET on 12/7/15

14 Approx. 8:20pm ET on 12/10/15 Approx. 11:59:59pm ET on 12/14/15

15 Approx. 8:20pm ET on 12/17/15 Approx. 11:59:59pm ET on 12/21/15

16 Approx. 8:30pm ET on 12/24/15 Approx. 11:59:59pm ET on 12/28/14

17 Approx. 1:00pm ET on 1/3/16 Approx. 11:59:59pm ET on 1/3/16

Wild Card Approx. 4:35pm ET on 1/9/16 Approx. 11:59:59pm ET on 1/10/16

Divisional Approx. 4:35pm ET on 1/16/16 Approx. 11:59:59pm ET on 1/17/16

Conference Approx. 3:05pm ET on 1/24/16 Approx. 11:59:59pm ET on 1/24/16

Super Bowl 50 Approx. 6:30pm ET on 2/7/16 Approx. 11:59:59pm ET on 2/7/16

All registrations/entries become the property of the NFL and will not be acknowledged or returned.

3. To Participate:

a) Become a Registered Participant of the Game: Visit nfl.com/fantasy during the Registration Period and complete and submit the Game registration form to obtain a User ID and Password from NFL.com. Registration is free. Once you are a registered participant of the Game, you may access the Game Page at any time during the Registration and Promotion Period by visiting nfl.com/pickem and submitting your User ID and Password. The use of script, macro or any other device to automate or subvert the registration process is prohibited and all such registrations will be void. In the event of a dispute as to the identity of an participant based on the email address submitted at the time of registration, registration will be deemed from the person named on the applicable registration form (regardless of whether that is the name of the authorized account holder of the email address from which said registration form was submitted), provided such individual is eligible according to these Official Rules.

b) Predictions: The object of the Game is to accrue the highest number of fantasy points by the conclusion of the Game Period. Accrue fantasy points during the Game Period in the following way:

1) Pick the NFL team who you think will win each of the games for each week (hereafter combined, your Prediction). The Predictions you submit for each Weekly Scoring Period will accumulate fantasy points based on the Scoring System below.

To Participate:Do all of the following during the Registration Period: 1) visit the Game Page (as directed above), which will feature a schedule, and follow the instructions provided to select and submit your Prediction Weekly Scoring Period by the deadline outlined in section 3.c below. If your pick(s)/Prediction are submitted by the relevant deadline outlined, this selection will be your active Prediction for the applicable Weekly Scoring Period.

Notes: 1) If you wish, you may submit multiple (or all) Weekly Scoring Period Predictions at the same time as long as they are submitted in advance of the applicable Weekly Scoring Period deadlines.

c) Prediction Tie-Breaker and Submission Deadline: The deadline for choosing, modifying, or submitting your Prediction for each Weekly Scoring Period is prior to kickoff of the first applicable game. Therefore, you may revise your Prediction for each Weekly Scoring Period throughout the Registration Period; however, you may not make a Prediction for a game that is already in progress or has been completed.

Prediction that is received by the applicable deadline will be used to tabulate your correct picks. Correct picks will not be awarded if 1.) Prediction is not made by the applicable deadline, 2.) a game is cancelled for any reason, or 3.) a game is postponed or rescheduled, for any reason, to take place during a subsequent Weekly Scoring Period.

All selections must be accepted and acknowledged by the computer servers by the applicable deadline to be considered valid, timely, and eligible.

Tiebreaker sort within Weekly Pick'Em works as follows. In the event of a tie on a Weekly Leaderboard, the participant who completed their final weekly entry first will win the tiebreaker. In the event of a tie on the Overall Leaderboard, the participant who scored a higher number of points in the previous week will win the tiebreaker. If ties still exist after these additional tiebreakers, the participant entries are considered tied as displayed on the leaderboards.

4. Scoring System

During each Weekly Scoring Period throughout the Game Period, you will earn fantasy points based on your Prediction of each game's winner for each applicable Weekly Scoring Period using the following scoring system:

Predictions Fantasy Points:

For each correctly identified game winner: 10 fantasy points

For correctly identifying 5 game winners: 10 fantasy points

For correctly identifying 10 game winners: 30 fantasy points

For correctly identifying all game winners in a week: 50 fantasy points

tl;dr - Pick games correctly. No purchase necessary to use. Deadline for each week is kickoff of the first game that week (I think). It's possible you can change your pick for a Sunday game after the Thursday game has started, but the rules are unclear. Please make your predictions as soon as you feel comfortable.

Scoring:

Getting a game right: 10 points

Getting 5 games right: 10 point bonus

Getting 10 games right: 30 point bonus

Getting all games right: 50 point bonus

The max points you can get in a 16 game week is 250.

Any questions, feel free to ask. I hope to see your predictions soon! Go Broncos!

• 2 weeks later...

My pick for Week 1:   New York Jets!

So far, here are the picks for Week 1:

Gerrard:  Cincinnati

SteelEagle:  Cincinnati

TacoBob:  Miami

Riverhippo:  Dallas

Mojo:  New York Jets

If anyone else wants in on Week 1, you have till kickoff time for Thursday's Steelers-Patriots game to post a winning team here on this thread. 

P.S. my pick for the SteelEagle Standings:  Seattle (duh)  :D  :D  :D

Any new visitors to this thread, you have until Thursday at Kickoff time to make your picks.

Make your Elimination pick in this thread.

And make your weekly picks here: http://weeklypickem.fantasy.nfl.com/group/107955

you can modify your picks up til kickoff time.

If you would still like to be added to the weekly pick, please PM me for the group password.

GET HYPE, IT'S ALMOST FOOTBALL SEASON!

UPDATED Eliminator picks for Week 1:

So far, here are the picks for Week 1:

Gerrard:  Cincinnati

SteelEagle:  Cincinnati

TacoBob:  Miami

Riverhippo:  Dallas

Mojo:  New York Jets

Ice Storm:  Green Bay

There's still time to enter your pick in the Eliminator Challenge if you haven't already, but hurry.  Deadline for Week 1 is the kickoff time of the Patriots-Steelers game this Thursday. 

Good luck to all!

The picks for both the Eliminator Challenge and River's NFL Pick'm games are now locked for Week 1

Good luck to all!

BTW - Anyone else picking in the SteelEagle Standings this week?   :D  :D  :D

So far, all WINNERS in the Elimination Challenge for Week 1:

TacoBob:  Miami    WIN

Mojo:  New York Jets   WIN

Ice Storm:  Green Bay    WIN

Gerrard:  Cincinnati   PENDING

SteelEagle:  Cincinnati  PENDING

Riverhippo:  Dallas   PENDING

Let's see how the rest of the day shapes up!

It's official, EVERYONE'S a winner in the Elimination Challenge for Week 1:

TacoBob:  Miami    WIN

Mojo:  New York Jets   WIN

Ice Storm:  Green Bay    WIN

Gerrard:  Cincinnati   WIN

SteelEagle:  Cincinnati  WIN

Riverhippo:  Dallas   WIN

Standings after Week 1:

TacoBob:  (Mia)  1 pt.

Mojo:   (NYJ)   1 pt.

Ice Storm:  (GB)  1 pt.

Gerrard:  (Cin)  1 pt.

SteelEagle:  (Cin)  1 pt.

Riverhippo:  (Dal)  1 pt.

Here's the schedule for Week 2, the deadline for entry is the kickoff of the Thursday Night Game:

Thursday, Sept. 17

Broncos at Chiefs, 8:25 p.m.

Sunday, Sept. 20

Patriots at Bills, 1 p.m.
Texans at Panthers, 1 p.m.
Cardinals at Bears, 1 p.m.
Chargers at Bengals, 1 p.m.
Titans at Browns, 1 p.m.
Lions at Vikings, 1 p.m.
Buccaneers at Saints, 1 p.m.

Falcons at Giants, 1 p.m.
49ers at Steelers, 1 p.m.
Rams at Redskins, 1 p.m.
Dolphins at Jaguars, 4:05 p.m.
Ravens at Raiders, 4:05 p.m.
Cowboys at Eagles, 4:25 p.m.
Seahawks at Packers, 8:30 p.m.

Monday, Sept. 21

Jets at Colts, 8:30 p.m. 

Good Luck to all!

I Pick the Baltimore Ravens for the elimination pick.

Here are the results for week 1 of the weekly pick'em.

Ice Storm (14-2) 180 points
riverhippo (13-3) 170
steeleagle1989 (12-4) 160
Triple B (10-6) 140
mojopony (9-7) 100
skarmony (9-7) 100
raritydash (8-8) 90
tacobobman (8-8) 90
Imagination (0-0) 0

Total week wins:
Ice Storm 1

I'll keep track of overall week wins, and total score.  Nice job Ice Storm.  Week 2 picks are locked before their respective game.  Please make sure to pick Thursday's Broncos/Chiefs game before it starts.  Plenty of time for everyone to catch up, especially now that we see what this year's NFL teams are looking like.  They aren't always what we thought they were.

Unless you're Dennis Green.

This week's eliminator pick for me:

New Orleans Saints

Oh, and my SteelEagle Standings Pick:

Seattle

(Yes, even though they LOST last week!)

:D   :D   :D

So far for Week 2 of the Elimination Challenge, we have:

Riverhippo:  Baltimore

Mojo:  New Orleans

Tacobob:  Baltimore

Gerrard:  Tennessee

If anyone else wants to get in on Week 2, you have until the kickoff of the Denver-Kansas City game today (Thursday) to make you selection. 

:D   :D  :D

Ok, the Thursday Night game just kicked off.

Here's the picks that are in for Week 2:

Riverhippo:  Baltimore

Mojo:  New Orleans

Tacobob:  Baltimore

Gerrard:  Tennessee

SteelEagle:  Denver

Good luck, everyone!

Looks like everyone in the Elimination Game lost this week, except for SteelEagle. who wisely chose the Broncos on Thursday Night.

The Official Week 2 results:

Riverhippo:  Baltimore    LOSS

Mojo:  New Orleans    LOSS

Tacobob:  Baltimore     LOSS

Gerrard:  Tennessee    LOSS

SteelEagle:  Denver     WIN

Standings after Week 2:

SteelEagle (Cin, Den):  2 pts.

TacoBob:  (Mia, Balti)  1 pt.

Mojo:   (NYJ, NO)   1 pt.

Gerrard:  (Cin, Tenn)  1 pt.

Riverhippo:  (Dal, Balti)  1 pt.

Ice Storm:  (GB)  1 pt.

Week 3:

Thursday, Sept. 24

Redskins at Giants, 8:25 p.m. 

Sunday, Sept. 27

Bengals at Ravens, 1 p.m.
Saints at Panthers, 1 p.m.
Raiders at Browns, 1 p.m.
Falcons at Cowboys, 1 p.m.
Buccaneers at Texans, 1 p.m.
Chargers at Vikings, 1 p.m.
Jaguars at Patriots, 1 p.m.
Eagles at Jets, 1 p.m.
Steelers at Rams, 1 p.m.
Colts at Titans, 1 p.m.
49ers at Cardinals, 4:05 p.m.
Bills at Dolphins, 4:25 p.m. 
Bears at Seahawks, 4:25 p.m.
Broncos at Lions, 8:30 p.m.

Monday, Sept, 28

Chiefs at Packers, 8:30 p.m.

Deadline for entering a pick for Week 3 is the kickoff of the Thursday Night Game!

Good luck to all!

:D  :D  :D

Week 2 weekly pick'em results:

riverhippo (8-8) 90 points
tacobobman (7-9) 80
Triple B (7-9) 80
steeleagle1989 (6-10) 70
mojopony (6-10) 70
skarmony (6-10) 70
Ice Storm (5-11) 60
raritydash (4-12) 40

I win the week.

Week wins:
Ice Storm 1
riverhippo 1

Overall:
riverhippo (21-11)  260
Ice Storm (19-13)  240
steeleagle1989 (18-14)  230
Triple B (17-15)  220
skarmony (15-17)  170
mojopony (15-17)  170
tacobobman (15-17)  170
raritydash (12-20)  130
imagination (0-0)  0

The week was cruel to pretty much all of us.  Only 15 more weeks to go!!  Be sure to place your picks before the games.  You can wait until the kickoff of each game, but don't forget to pick!!!

In the elimination, i choose the Seattle Seahawks.

I'll go with the New York Giants this Thursday Night

I don't know if I'll pick a team in this week's SteelEagle Standings.  Seems the Seahawks are on a bit of a losing streak.... 

:D  :D  :D

Archived