[Fillydelphia] A descent into Madness (closed. Pm for info)

BeGoneThots

"I think we both are today," Stormstride said, brushing off the dust from the scuffle. As she did, she revealed the scar in her chest. The jagged mark where the changeling's horn had pierced her armor so long ago. As she stood there, the Commander gave her a rather mean glare. "Disorderly conduct resulting in the humiliation of no less than fifteen guards.." "It's no less than I was subjected too when I wore that same armor you did Flashfire." The commander glared again. But quickly went stoic as he turned to Celestia. Bowing, he spoke. "Your Majesty. This colt.." "Im a mare if you haven't noticed." "...Mare... has caused a disturbence in the lower East quarter. She instigated harrassment on the local guards in the area." "Funny. They seemed rather lax and ready to let that troublemaker keep pelting that poor street musician with whatever he could grab until I chased him off. You and your buddies here just got mad because I did your job for you, better than you could." 

She was confident to say the least. There was... an air about her. She was brimming with pride at her words. Not that she had a round with the guards. But that she had defended some pony. "Besides... I wasn't the one that needed back up to handle one pony. It takes this many of you to handle me? Come now, when I had that duel with Prince Blueblood in the gardens during the last Gala He took me on alone, and won. Now then.... If you would kindly explain why you drug me in here before I do..." The commander remained silent. Just staring slack jawed. Stromstride stood and moved forward slowly. Bowing lightly she spoke as she stood back up, "Stromstride Cloud, Weather Mage and former corporal, Lower East district, school Guard, Canterlot Division."

Stromstride may have been born a colt, but right now she had all the grace and poise of a pure bred lady. "I stand here, before your good judgement. And ask only one thing. Before whatever sentence is passed. WOuld you allow me to see my family one more time? Thunderbuck Cloud, my brother. And CaramelCream. My daughter." There was a soft gasp from the side. The one mare Storm had been looking at before had a hoof to her lips. Storm spared her a look, but not a pleasant one. Before returning her eyes to Celestia. There was that pride again. Beaming. Confident, and pure. This was a pony that seemed to have found their place in life. Though it seemed to have taken them this long to do it.

She smiled softly, and spoke very gently. "Its the most I can ask for. Yes. I caused a disturbance. However the only thing hurt was pride on all ponies involved. Yes I was a poor guard. But i was in perfect attendance to my posting everyday. Just ask the school foals and their teachers. Or Captain Star Breezer. She would tell you it's true. Rain or shine, I was there at my post. Even when I was demoted and transfered to Fillydalephia  I was always on time and there. All I ask, in return for my years of service.... is one last chance to see my family before whatever sentence is passed." 

The commander was a bit taken aback. This was not the same pony he had known. The look on his face said it too. This was too passive. the Stormstride he knew was aggressive, harsh, and mean spirited with his words. But this mare.... This pony... Was almost elegant. Covered in dirt and still she tried to act a lady. "Your Majesty... A word... If  I may speak..." He said suddenly. almost... hesitant. 

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Celestia frowned as she listened to the commander and prisoner make their respective cases, listening as much to what they didn't say or was addressed elsewhere than the throne.  To their credit both seemed to be honest, as neither had denied the accusations of the other.  That, and such a serious lapse in the guards being finally brought to her attention were the only positive things to come of this, it would seem.

The commander made a particularly disappointing showing.  He essentially admitted to needed 15 guards to apprehend a single unicorn.  This meant a failure either on the part of this Commander Flashfire to manage the ponies under his command, or a failure to recognize or correct a problem within the guard itself.  What's worse, an honourable pony would have owned up to his mistake, and a clever pony would know which rules let him personally address such a situation, so that it never made it to Celestia.  Flashfire did neither, instead thinking the best to personally bring the belligerent pony before Celestia.

'Hoist by his own petard', Celestia thought to herself.  She seemed to be full of old saying today.

And then there was the mare, Stormstride...Celestia was still deciding what to make of her.  The unicorn knew she'd done something objectionable and expected punishment, but didn't show any regret or guilt for her action.  If anything, she seemed proud of what she'd done.  it did not cross her mind that there was a safer and more productive way to approach disputes, which should have been readily available to her.

Further, while Celestia could not tell to what degree the mare knew what she was doing, it was clear that Stormstride was playing to the surrounding ponies' emotions.  Suggesting her previous honourable conduct as a guard before making a request to see her family, all of it seemingly meant to inspire leniency or failing that to turn the crowd on her accusers.

Celestia was not willing to let emotions supersede the facts of the case.  Her expression was stern as she responded.  “It is not your punctuality that is in question.  Even setting aside that you were demoted, I expect royal guards to know and make use of proper channels for bring problems to light, rather than harassing and brawling with guards on duty.  Consider what might have happened had their been an emergency while you were 'playing'.”

Celestia shook her head.  “You made a choice.  As a former guard, you more than other ponies should know that your choices have consequences.  I do not expect the punishment will be especially harsh where no lasting harm was done, but you have earned no special allowances from your actions.”

At some point Commander Flashfire had wished to speak with the princess personally, and now Celestia had paused she finally acknowledged his request.  She stared through the commander for a moment, before replying.  “Yes, I suppose you had better.  You've dug yourself quite a hole, commander.”  She felt it only fair to warn Flashfire that was being evaluated, and thus far he had given an unfavourable impression.

Flashfire approached slowly. Taking a moment to remove his helmet, he spoke in a near whisper. "Your majesty. I believe... Well perhaps I should start were all this began."

He began to relate to her the tale. A stallion that was teased and harassed all through training until he grew cold. A marriage that failed when his mate left him for a wealthy colt. Leaving him alone with a daughter. Then the incident at the wedding of Shining Armor and Cadence. How Stormstride had disobeyed his orders. Rather than rush to the palace as ordered he stayed. And in staying fought off a group of changelings that attacked his posting.

He was wounded. The scar in the chest the proof. And then she was demoted for being insubordinate. Arguing with the commander. After being transferred Flashfirelost track of the guard. But he knew that Storm had had her daughter taken away.

Sighing after he finished he spoke. "I.. I think this is my fault. Stormstride seems to have found a bit of happiness. But this.. Is the result of my actions. Stormstride was a good guard... And he.. She. She put her all into what she did. I did nothing but show her the worst the guard and the wealth o Canterlot had to offer. She admitted to what she did. I can't take that back for her. But I ask you to please show her the best that Canterlot can be. Let the blame for all of this fall on me."

He was genuine. Storm for her part was glaring at that mare from before. After a moment she spoke. "Go on. Say it. You always said I would end up here one day. That's why you left me for him want it? You could have at least seen CaramelCream. Fate knows why she holds out hope of you ever seeing her again." The mare turned slowly. Returning to her dapper colt she turned her face. What stormstride had said had struk a cord. The wealthy mare refused to look at Storm any longer.

Storm returned her eyes on Celestia. She was passive again. Silent as she waited patiently for her sentence. She obviously was not aiming to make friends here. The guard around her were quiet. A few were eyeing her now. They had known about the divorce. But not that Stormstride's former mate hadn't come to at least see their foal.

Allowed a more private discussion, although still open to the room, Commander Flashfire now seemed to reverse his stance and offered a more sympathetic perspective on the belligerent party.  It was nice to finally see some integrity from the commander as he admitted to some of his contributions to the problem, although Celestia had to wonder why now of all times.

Celestia sighed, before replying.  “Merely understanding Stormstride's motives does not change the fact that she harassed several royal guards, distracting from their duties, when other options were available for her to address her concerns.  Regardless of what happened to her in the past, her actions in the present and what she might do in future are what subjects of this audience.”  She was about to turn back to Stormstride and consider her verdict, when she remembered on more thing.  “Oh, and commander...”  She leaned in, and lowered her voice enough that only Flashfire could easily hear what she said next.  “I should warn you that I will be conducting a personal inspection of your station in a few weeks time.  After what I have heard today, it would be irresponsible of me to do any less.”  His change of heart gave her a little hope for him yet, but she feared at this stage it might be too little to late.  He likely could not escape this without consequence, a demotion and/or additional training at the very least.

That was not what was under discussion however, and with her message delivered she turned back to the matter at hoof.  Celestia decided to ignore Stormstride's outburst.  There was obviously a large amount of bad history between many of the assembled ponies, however it did not escalate, and the dispute was beyond the scope of this audience.

It did not take long for Celestia to arrive at a decision.  After a few moments of being watched by Stormstride and regarding the mare in turn, Celestia announced her decision.  “It is my understanding that this mare has a great deal of motivation, and a lack of discipline.  Therefore, I believe the best course of action is to reinstate her as a private in the guard, where her passion can be put to a positive use and she will have an opportunity to learn restraint.”  She paused for a moment, before addressing the mare directly.  “Stormstride Cloud, you will have two weeks to report to your new positing in Fet Loch.”  There was a division there which Celestia felt could handle a recruit like this, but more than that she also suspected the change in locale would help.  Canterlot could be very impersonal, Celestia had high hopes for how Stormstride's attitude might change when interacting with ponies she would come to know.

Celestia looked between Stormstride and Flashfire.  “I believe this audience may now be concluded.  If there are no objections, I will see the next petitioner now.”  As typical for day court, there were a number of ponies still waiting to see the princess.

((OOC: thanks a bunch!!))

Stormstride was... dumb struck. her quick wit stripped of her. She was speechless. THe commander came over. Unlocking her restraints and setting them aside he stared as her. Quietly he pulled her aside and let the guards return to their duties. "You always had a will of fire and iron Stormy. You take care of yourself up there in Fet Loch. I heard the Dutchess is a real case cracker." Storm smiled. patting Flashfire's shoulder she spoke softly. "You have things to attend to commander. I will stop by to pick up my armor..." The commander nodded. "We will see about... getting you a new chest piece. Your old one is likely too far gone to fully repair again." The commander left it off there and returned to his own duties. 

Stormstride took the time to gather her things and prepare a letter. Sending it ahead of herself to ensure Star Breezer was expecting her to arrive. There was still a few matters to attend. Such as securing the transportation, and a few things. Making sure her family were well off. Then she boarded the train. Fet Loch was several days from where she was. Just enough time to arrive and get settled before reporting for first duty roster. 

Archived