[Fillydelphia] A descent into Madness (closed. Pm for info)

BeGoneThots

This... this was beginning to get monotonous.  Blueblood hadn't been in Stormstrides company for very long, but already he had the sensation of listening to a- well no, not really a broken record.  To do the guardstallion justice, he wasn't saying the same thing over and over, but giving a fuller picture, if not of his situation, at least of his mental state.  Perhaps a better metaphor would be that the Prince was banging his head into the same obstacle over and over.  As for what that obstacle was or how to get around or rid of it, he was, as in so many other matters, clueless.

"Oh keep the bloody money!"  He grunted, his frustration more with himself than anything else, though Storm might not have been able to tell.  "What good do you think giving it to me is going to do?"  He sighed, going to kick that bag back with his hoof.  He forgot that kicking gold is like kicking a rock.  "Yowch!  Mrghgh!"  He yelled in pain, his lowering temper mirrored by the greying skies.  

"I don't know what it is about about you, but when I figure it out... ugh, I'm going to have to take the sails to half-reef if we don't want to sail to next Wednesday.  You might as well get something to eat from below."  The Prince's mood was sour as he cast a weather eye to the horizon.  They'd gone beyond the jurisdiction of the Weather Patrol; the sea and sky were obeying naught but themselves, for this was their kingdom, and all ponies were but tolerated visitors to the Realm.  Storm's eye had caught the front; but not how bad it might prove.  *Could be anything from merely gusty to full out thunderstorm.  Not a nor'easter, thankfully.*  

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Storm put the coins back in his bag. As he turned to head below deck he froze. His tail lifted softly. "I think i need to stay up here..." he moved to the bow. "I have never been one to anger the weather on purpose. But fhis may be the one day i have too...." he shuffled out of his saddle bags and kicked them back. They slid easily enough. Storm's body tensed as he spoke. "I dont think you would put a lightning rod below deck would you?" There was a glint in his eye now.

His horn glowed. "If you want i can fly up there and blow it all ahead of us... but that may just make it angry..." the low rumble of distant thunder made the stallion's mane near stand up. The breeze felt so good like this. And what was more was that the weather here was not tamed. It was wild and alive. "Alright.... if you are ready Prince... i can keep you dry. But its going to get a bit windy here in a few." There was that glint again. His eyes practically sparkled at the chance to play with the weather. "On the whole... she's not angry... yet."

Once again, Blueblood felt all kinds of worries stir within him concerning his fellow passenger.  He'd seen those lights of dancing madness before in the eyes of his acquaintances, of crazy engineers like Java and eager magicians like Twilight Sparkle.  They always preceded some egregious violation of the natural order, to the inestimable regret of all those caught at ground zero.

Short of diving overboard, there was no escape from the consequences of... whatever Stormstride was going to do.  "Look, before you do anything foolish, at least eat something.  Empty stomachs are no help to brains."  Not that ol' Bluey's brains were much of help to anypony, full stomach or no, but the Prince felt like he had to do something, at least, for the sake of the ship.  The front didn't look too bad, tough; barely even a storm.  Maybe letting the guard play a bit wouldn't be too bad of a thing; after all, Blueblood himself was sort of playing at boats here, and that did wonders for his mental health!  "After that, as you like.  I'm... rather curious, actually, as to what you can actually do.  I only got a hint the, ah, last time I saw you at work..."

Stromstride nodded and moved below deck, taking his saddle bags as he went. It was not too long after he returned with a simple bit of bread and cheese. Eating his meal he watched the skies.

"If i really cut loose i have a few spells. What you saw ke do was all shock and awe. Low level. Easy control. More for show than for offense. Though that blizzard spell usually leaves ponies on their knees. You did good to stay up in the face of that thing."

storm finished his small meal quickly and without talking with food in his mouth. He stood and moved to the bow again. As soon as he did lightning arched out and hit him. His mane and tail looked like he had been in a wind tunnel. "Oh... ouch. Thay was unexpected. Maybe i ought to shield the boat eh?" He shook his head and then moved to toss a simple barrier over the boat to protect Blublood's investment.

As he turned back to the weather and smirked. "Ok... lets see..." he fired lightning back at rhe storm. "Hah!! You send it out but you cant take it? Come on! Im one pony!! Show me what you got mother nature!!"

Lightning strikes never fail to be anything but electrifying.  While not directly struck, Blueblood certainly felt the power of it tingle through his hooves and out through his mane, leaving an odd taste of lemons and oranges in his mouth.  "Thaza... bleh..."  The Prince had to flap his tongue in the wet wind to shake the numbness out of it.  This brief period of enforced muteness would not normally have been so terrible; he'd had to go through it before when lightning struck the mast.  But on those occasions he had been alone onboard ship, not taking along a half-unhinged fellow passenger.

Thus, the unicorn stallion stood semi-helpless as he watched the guard get riled up, trash-talking Neptune in his own domain, no doubt to that eminent gentlecolt's amusement.  The Shield spell was nice, but whether it would stand up to the provoked fury of the wind and waves was another matter altogether.  The Yacht was designed to handle strikes, but a sea too riled could capsize any vessel if the captain were not diligent.

"Bloody fool, what are you doing that for!?"  Blueblood shouted as soon as he'd regained control over his rebellious mouth.  It was a toss-up whether Storm could hear him now; the wind had picked up his challenge, and was howling back at increased volume.  The skies were filling with clouds now, heavy with water and electricity, to punish the impudent intruder into their kingdom.

This was not what the Prince had signed up for.

Stoem laughed a bit. "TRAINING EXERCISE!! USED TO FO IT ALL THE TIME TO GET STRONGER!! JUST WATCH!!"

Turning back to the clouds he smirked. "Been a while.. lets see what you got windbags..." even as the wind increaded storm countered on his own level. The energy around his horn flared brightly as he fired a wind back in the opposite direction. Angling it away from the boat.

But malnutricion and severe insomnia palyed their parts as well. Storm slid back a few inches. His front starting to life up as he whinced. His oen magic was flickering as he tried to fight back.

Training exercise?  Training exercise!?  Prince Blueblood was a civilian through and through, but even he was well aware that no such thing was stipulated, or even permitted, in the training regulations of any branch of the Royal Guard, REA, or Navy!  No wonder Storm got such a hard time from his superiors and colleagues; he was obviously completely out of his gourd, beyond even Java-levels of crazy!

Military or not, however, this was not a thing that any Captain would permit aboard his ship.  "You cut that out this instant, Private!"  Blueblood shouted, straining his voice to be heard above the squall.  The front was coming on strong yet, but the Prince could see the flickering of Stormstride's magic, and knew that the yacht would face the full fury of nature once that magic failed.  "Reef the bucking sails while I lash the tiller!  Only thing to do is ride out the front!  If you fight it, it will sink us!"

Not malnourished in the slightest, the unicorn royal was able to magically snatch the coils of rope left for the purpose on deck, tying down the tiller to keep a somewhat steady course.  If you left your rudder free in a storm like this, you might wind up being blown anywhere, and probably wrecked against a reef.  Lashing the tiller kept the yacht at least pointed away from hazards, but they'd still be in trouble if the sails were left open.  If they had their head through the storm... well, being blown halfway to Tartarus would be the least of the erstwhile pair's problems...

Storm moved to help. And got hot with another lightning bolt. It seemed to shake him up. He staggered a bit with the pitch of the ship. He managed to make it to the mast and began trying to fold up the sail as best he could. His mane began to stand up as did his tail. He felt it coming and turned on the weather. "ENOUGH!!!!" His horn flared brilliantly. Blasting out one large bolt. Punching a hole in the clouds and forcing some of the wind back. It calmed some of the weather. But it didnt stop the storm. Just slowed it down. Paanting he looked at Blueblood. "The ocean... cool it off!!! Its feeding on the warm water!!!! Cool the water tempurature!! That will stall out the storm!"

Did... did Stormstride not actually know anything about weather at sea?  Blueblood couldn't see the way to any other conclusion, given that the guard's actions, without fail, had been turning a dicey situation step-by-step into a disaster.  And as for that latest advice of his...  "Cool the bucking Ocean!?"  That was, literally, impossible.  Twilight Sparkle might have been able to make an ice sheet surround the boat, but it wouldn't have lasted long enough to affect the front.  Of course, the Princess probably would have been able to banish the storm directly, but that was neither here nor there...

"Nothing for it but to batten down and ride it out, so STOP BEING A BLOODY IDIOT!"  Not often that the Prince was on the giving end of that phrase...

Stormstride's head snapped around at that. "I am not an IDIOT!!!!!" he screamed. The sheer sound of his voice as his horn flared again actually rattled the wood around him a little. This time the magical glow was much brighter than before. He was tapping into his final magical reserves now. The wind shifted hard and rocked the boat. And the hole he made in the clouds rolled back further. Opening wider as it began circling, pulling on the cooler air above it. He had lost control of his magic in his anger. Around them things just got worse, but the boat was left in a slightly calmer area. He was baring teeth now, glaring angrily at Blueblood as his muscles bulged with how tense he was just holding his ground against both the prince and the storm. He was cornered, being assaulted on two fronts. Physically by the storm around them, and mentally by the pony before him. 

"I have had enough of bucking morons like you telling me how stupid I am!!! I got it for long enough out of my father and my ex-mare, and every other soldier I worked with! I dont need it from somepony like YOU!!!" He panted heavily as the glow around his horn died down. He finished tying the sail down and then took the last bit of rope to the bow. "Get below deck where you are safe! I'll hold the lightning off and try to calm the winds down so we don't capsize!.... GO!!"

Even beyond the wind and rain and thunder, it was plain to see, Blueblood's words had hit a deep and sensitive nerve in the larger colt. He was crying. Even as he used the last of his magic to tie himself off at the bow and pulled his front hooves onto the railing to help mitigate the electrical charge. He was wiping at his face to clear his vision. The hole in the clouds was slowly closing, but around them the air got colder. And with it the power of the store directly around them decreased a little. That tiny opening had pulled cooler air from higher in the sky down. Not much, but enough to lower the immediate temperature a few degrees. 

The effect rippled lightly across the area they were in. But did not stop the storm, only slowed it down and weakened it slightly. Stromstride took another hit from the lightning, screaming this time. His horn sparked energy back out. Drawing on some of the lighting to replenish some of his magic, but the jolt was too much for him to gather more than a tiny fraction of energy from. As potent as his weather spells were, he was still a mortal pony. IT would only take one more hit to seriously do damage to his body, and mind. 

Taking the energy he had gathered he tried to put up a shield in front of the boat, deflecting some of the force of the incoming waves. It would be easy to knock him overboard. And he knew it. In his state he stood no chance in any fight, especially against the weather itself. And he only hoped to last so long. Maybe the storm was not as strong as it looked. Maybe Blueblood would grow a spine and start decreasing the temperature of the moisture around the ship. He had magic reserves. He just lacked the courage and the drive. But Stormstride could not expect him to be a soldier. He was a prince, not an officer. And there was no need to demand of him actions Stormstride could no longer demand of himself. Accepting this, the stallion prepared himself to do battle against the elements like when he was far younger and weaker. "Come and get me you great windbag. You did you best to kill me in the mountains beyond Canterlot.... And that only made me angrier.... so come on... I'm tired and older.... let's see if you can do me in now.....so yes... Come. Come and claim  your hollow victory over an already broken colt..."

Stormstride was seriously overestimating both Blueblood's magical reserves and his patience.  True, if he went all out, he might be able to mitigate the stormfront to the point of dissipation, but that would leave him passed out, without anypony operating the bilge pumps, which he was currently doing... 'percussive maintenance' on to start them up.  Even if the Yacht wasn't sunk, contaminated water supply could spell disaster for them.  The Prince had no time to deal with the issues and complaints of a pony who was, as far as seagoing experience went, a non-entity.

And when Blueblood looked up, to see what Stormstride was doing, he lost the last vestiges of his temper with the landlubber.  All that time stubbornly fighting the storm, and now this guard was going to get himself killed.  Well, this captain wasn't going to let a passenger or crew die on his watch.  "ENOUGH."  Taking up the spanner he'd been using on the pumps with his magic, he struck a smart sucker-blow to Storm's temple, just hard enough to lay him out cold.

Grumbling and cursing at all low-born fools, the Prince lashed the now-unconscious pony to the mast, making sure to secure his muzzle as well, so that he didn't bite through his tongue while the ship was being tossed about by the wind and waves.  That done, Blueblood then settled down to a long storm-tossed vigil, watching first the tiller, then the pumps, then the mast, waiting for the fury of the elements to take their course.  

On land, the Prince was a puff.  But on the waves, he was a sailor.  A sailor was no master of the waves; those who thought themselves so were schooled otherwise by Davy Jones.  But he could see a yacht through a storm, and had done so alone before.  He never thought it would be harder with a second crew member...

It was hours later.  While the front had been enhanced in its fury by Stormstride's provocation, it had been shortened in length.  By the time the clouds had cleared, the sun was giving way to stars.  Blueblood over saw the last of the pumping, took positional readings from his instruments to chart their location, and cooked himself a belated meal.  Storm, still tied to the mast, would have awoke to the smell of coffee, and the sight of a worn, but unbent, Prince.

"Before I untie your mouth, I want to make a few things clear.  While you are onboard my ship, I am the captain, and I do not take orders, especially from ponies who have never seen the ocean before today.  Second, while on shore, you may say what you like about my intelligence.  I know perfectly well that I've relied more on looks than brains while on land.  But not at sea.  Nod once if you understand, twice if you disagree but won't argue."

Stormstirde's face was blank as he stared at the prince, not answering. No anger left in him, he just stared. After a moment he just tilted his head back down and closed his eyes. Allowing his mane to fall and cover his face. He stayed that way for a full five minutes before he looked up. And in his eyes was a burning cold fire. His glare would have been like looking into the eyes of a rabid manticore. HE pressed out against the ropes. His muscles straining as he pressed until they began to dig into himself. 

His horn arced and glowed faintly. and finally fired off one small bolt. It tore the rope from his mouth  when it hit and he thrashed his head to get that bit off. Now about to talk he panted as he stared at Blueblood. "Saddlebags. There is a blank book. Bring it here you blithering idiot or untie me so I can get it and show you what the bucking Tartarus I was yelling at you to cool the ocean off for. Other wise I will call that storm back over and let her finish what she started. You think you know anything about weather at sea?  I could understand what she was saying. They are as a live and you and I and you what to know what..... I dont care what you think you are... you can be a captain of the word and you still have less control over what happens than a flea has of when a dog tries to scratch....." he was left panting, and burned out. 

Whatever could be said of his mental state, he was at least still goal oriented. His face was crunched as he stared. An again, tears began to run down his face. "Either do what I said or finish me off you prissy little foal. She was just puffed from my taunt and trying to tell us to cool off the water so she would lose some steam. That done she would have just passed back on by on her merry way. Yes, storms as as alive as even you and I. If you had the brains in your head to stop and ask why i told you that, we would have been fine. Now she's stuck drifting out there. Gods bones.... no. You know what... no. I got a better Idea... just go get my saddle bags...Just go get them. I wanna look at the picture of my daughter. You can sail this thing where ever you want. Just bring me that picture..."

In truth Stromstride had nothing left to fight with. He was even running out of insults to hurl. Turning his face away he fell silent. Staring at the ocean and stars. In his saddle bags was his weeks pay, an old book with blank pages, a picture of his daughter, and a couple newspaper clippings. Storm didnt care what else the prince did at this point. He was as much a prissy pony on the boat as he was on land. The former guard couldn't stand to look at him any longer. he just kept his head turned as he stared at the ocean. Tears still running down his cheeks. 

It was, for the moment, out of the question for Blueblood to untie Stormstride.  Matters had by now so changed that the Prince was more worried about what the guard would to to himself as opposed to him, but the material result was the same.  Clearly, this pony was in no condition to handle his own affairs, and Blueblood rather resented the fact that his secretary had foisted them upon his person.  He and Psmith would have words when the got back to shore.

"Oh, I've long since given up trying to control all the elements that make up my life."  He retorted as he went to get the saddlebags.  "You do know, of course, that sailors have crossed the sea for millennia without any kind of notion that they could or ought to guide the winds to suit their sails?  You could call it moronic to try and do what neither my training nor temperament suits me for, but I hardly think it blameworthy myself.  And anyway, you're the one who got the storm angry anyhow!"

The unicorn snorted, ignoring the rest of the mastside rant for the most part.  It begged the question of what he was ultimately going to do with the stallion; Blueblood was no psychologist, and he knew it.  He brought out the picture, levitating it in silence over to Stormstride as he looked over the clippings, wondering what on Equestria he was supposed to do now...

Storm stared at the image. He fell silwnt. Relaxed even. The clippings detailed their stories. but tucked in with them was a simple letter in scratchy writting.

"Hello papa.

I miss you so much. Uncle Buck is trying hard to make it good for me here. He likes my cooking. He said he wants to see you soon if we can. Hes packing up the caet for another trip. It seems that a pony in clousdale wants to see him perform. He said its good money and provides me a chance to see the world. So hes taking me along with him. He taight me a spell to let me walk on the clouds like he and you do.

I miss you papa. The mean mare from the foal services said we cant see you yet. I think she just needs a cupcake.

Love you papa,

Caramelcream"

The clippings showed a pony, that while similar to Stoem was much smaller and less muscular. He was surrounded by instruments. He seemed happy. Though his mane and tail were messy he looked well fed and somewhat groomed.

Storm spoke suddenly. "The book. Fourth page. Its blank now but just say. 'Weather of the oceans.. chapter seven. It was the only thing left from my parents. All their reseaech and notes are in there... the entire cycle of ocean weather is detailed. On the fifth page of the chapter you will find how storms draw their power from the warm water of the oceans. And one degree will make thw difference between a hurricane and some breeze clouds. The nores are old Equestrian. Predatinf Cloudsdale. From my ancestor, Thundermane."

Blueblood felt half-ashamed at even reading the letter; it simply wasn't done for a chap to read another chap's correspondence.  On the other hand, the Prince had come to the literal end of his rope in dealing with Stormstride, and any clue would be helpful.  As his eyes skimmed down the page, they closed in frustration and pain.  Really he ought to have been able to do something about this, but the ossified structures of both the military and bureaucracy were too much for a mere Prince.

"This your brother, I take it?"  He asked, holding up the picture of Buck from the article.  "I... think I remember him from the Gala; haven't heard the fellow since."  The stallion sighed, aware that this was probably not making the situation any better.  He returned to his sandwich and coffee, looking over the book once he summoned up the chapter.

"Hum... yes, I thought it sounded familiar.  My great-grandfather had a copy of that chapter; my family tended to be... rather big on the great pre-equestrian unicorns.  For reasons which you can probably guess."  He shrugged and closed the book.  "Didn't mean much to me; storms aren't things you muck about with, as far as I'm concerned.  I'd rather unfurl the sails and let the ship have her head before I tried to change 'em.  I've done it, too; and it wasn't near so hard as having to deal with what you did.  Look here what was that whole lighting business about, eh?  Don't put me off with the whole 'cooling the ocean' thing, that increased the storm.  I want straight answers out of you, for once!"

Storm was silent a moment before sighing. "Training.... how else would you get stronger than those around you except by doing what they fear to do. First time... knocked me clean out on the parade grounds. Sergeant looked like a ghost when i came too. But even when he said to lay off they kept up. So i pushed myself harder. More and more. Had to get better, bigger, stronger. Finally it came to a head. Sparring lessons. I tossed a colt across the ring. He wasnf hurt. Just scared out of his wits for a few minutes."

He looked at blue quietly. "Its my only chance to just have some peace these days. i fly up into the storms and just see how much i can take. Here lately i havent been able to take as much. Long shifts. No sleep. Lack of food sometimes." He fell silent. "You told me to do what i wanted... well... i wanted to just see if i still had it in me... i dont."

After a moment he looked at the article. "Buck stays away from Canterlot after that night. Especially any time first class or royalty gather. Hes had invitafions and always sent rejections. I canf say his reasons, but he has them. I think... i honestly dont know where he is. I get letters occasionally. The last one was a month ago." He was looking at the other afticle now. "You will never know what it is like to have your own family scream at you like that.... Living up to a forgotten legacy of ponies whom are naught but dust and fairy tales. Belated upon the bedtides of foals long since grown and gone. For all fhe ways of ponies are but dusf upon a breeze. To be swept upon and gone for naught the world to see again." He was looking af the article about his parents and baby brother. "What was the last words you had with your father?" He asked. His tone had gone soft. Quiet. The anver burned out.

It was crazy, completely crazy, and yet... Blueblood could almost understand.  If you're surrounded by ponies who think you're no good, you either drive yourself to prove them wrong, or fall into actually believing it.  Of course, living by the standards of others tended to lead to less than rational ways of going about things.  For Stormstride, it was being a living lightning rod; for the Prince, it was waking up as early as an apple farmer every morning to make sure that his appearance for the day was absolutely flawless.

It was, therefore, with something like authority that he was able to say, "If you keep going on like that, old chap, you'll end up not being of any use to anypony.  If you're just out to impress that sort by looking tough, what makes you any different from me trying to impress another sort by looking handsome?  I've... felt inadequate too, when push came to shove.  If it weren't for certain friends I've managed to make..."

He sighed, shrugging as he finished off his sandwich and coffee.  He began to rummage in his toolbox as he heard the guard continue, from his mastside position.  "Well, having no family left, I suppose you're right about not hearing them yell.  Though my parents never did yell, it was undignified."  No, they were more likely to be 'just disappointed,' which any foal will tell you is 10 times worse.

"Last words...?  I can't remember.  I was at my last semester of boarding school when their airship went down."  That was all he said about that before he fished out his knife.  "If I set you free, will you promise not to hurt yourself, or dive overboard?  Your rantings a few hours ago rather got me worried."

"I promise..." he said softly. He was beaten, finally. He relaxed against ghe ropes. And instantly was asleep. When was the last time he slept properly? No pony could say. But he was tired enough that all his ranting and energy spent put him out easily. But just as easily the simple sound of a wave slapping the side of the boat gently started him awake. He was wide eyed a moment. Looking at the source of the noisd before relaxing again.

He was exhausted. He was fighting sleep to stay alert. Unfamiliar surroundings had him uneasy. He relaxed fully again and spoke. "I think i need to just lay down. I dont feel so good.... bad memories..." He muttered soffly. As vulnerable as he was now, he looked it. "And i was neved out to look tough... i was out to be tougher than any pony that had ever mocked me. I wanted them to just leave me alone... and stop mocking me. Thats why i dont have friends."

In truth Storm had stopped calling any pony his friend. He called them allies. And he viewed them as such. They were there to assist him in work matters. Nothing more. As he started to nod again his horn glowed faintly. No real magic being cast. More like a night light sort of effect. Illuminating fhe deck and out a few feet past.

Tougher than anypony who mocked him, eh?  Blueblood could well believe it.  If Stormstride were not exhausted, the Prince didn't fancy his chances should it come to blows again, hence his efforts to ensure that it never did.  *We're not an even match.  Either he's crippled by this blue funk, or he swabs the deck with me.*

"I've had to deal with a bit of joshing from my friends.  It's not always mean spirited-"  The stallion paused, as the glow from the other's horn cast something on the horizon into shadow.  But it was, if the paradox be permitted, one of the more solid sorts of shadows.   Whipping out a small spyglass, Blueblood telescoped it out and squinted through it.  "Sandbar ahead; they're not usually out so far.  Seems like there's a pile over there... Looks like a mast.  Some poor devil might have beached himself there.  Here now, I'm going to go over and have a look.  Might drop anchor there for the night, so we can get some proper sleep too."

Storm looked up. Straining his neck he cocked an ear up. "Hush a moment.." he was listening. "No wind through rigging... either he lost his rope or that wrech is so old it has none... or he was rescued and took everythinv he could carry."

Storm tilted his head. "If thats a sand bar he likely didnt see it and ran aground. Better ease in if you can slow this boat down." As ghey drew closer the sight became more clear. A skeleton of a small boat. Barely safe for a life boat. It's mast jutting to the side. Most of the ship nothing but rotten wood. Ages old. Storm watched it loom closer. "This is ancient. Look. Crabs climbing into the wood. If anyone survived they would have had no way to get out of here...." he said as his glow illuminated the scene. He was alert again. His ears canfing to and fro. "Water was likely too calm to see the sandbar. If he hit it at full sail he was tossed. That wreck is..." his eyes focussed on something white. "Stop... stop... what is that?"

The breeze that took the yacht to the sandbar was a gentle one, but Blueblood still took it at half sail in order to sink the anchor before the hull beached.  Even if it did no damage, it was still a pain to drag the boat above tide to secure it, and then have to drag it back.  As it was, she was left bobbing near the bar as the Prince and Storm both hopped down from the deck to take a closer look.

"Hmph, almost pure flotsam, by now."  He remarked, delicately stepping out of the way of scuttling crustaceans.  "As for this white thing-  yeaugh!"  Having levitated the mysterious object with his magic, he dropped it hastily upon seeing that it was the skull of a pony.  Not a settling sight to see, this late at night.  "Well, that's the unfortunate captain, I suppose.  He must have been completely barren of supplies when he ran aground, or else already dead.  It wouldn't be too much work to haul off otherwise; that's the benefit of small craft."

Blueblood had been slowly backing away from the wreck as he spoke, partly out of unnamed fear, and partly out of the discomfort the living feel around evidence of death.  That vague unease was soon driven out by the positive pain of stepping on a crab, and getting pinched.  "Yipe!"  The unicorn leaped sideways, flopping sideways onto the sand.  Spitting out the grit, he sputtered.  "Well!  Now what?"

Storm was unafraid. He gently lifted the skull. He found what looked like a tattered cape. Wrapping the skull in it he sighed. "We take him to land. Ask....ques...tions..." storm cast a small orb of light to illuninate the area a bit better. he found a chunck of wood.

Coming to it he pilled it from the sand. "The Voyager II. That was the name of the ship...." he held the woof and the skull in his magic softly. "He was likely dead... and just drifting. Strangely though... This place seems so peaceful. Like the ocean herself set him here. No weather battering." He walked around a bit. Looking over the edge. "Found the rest of the ship. Here... hold him safe... im gonna see if i can recover anything else..."

Under the gently lapping waves one could see about ten foot down the remains of the ship. Setting the skull and wood by Blueblood, Stormstride moved to the water. Taking a deep breath he dove in. The light ball chasing him down. The water was clear, and a pony could observe him easily.

As he reached the remains of the wreck, he swam around. After a fee moments he came back up. "Gah... bleh... its a really small ship... i found some old pottery. The kind used to store food ages ago. Some rope on the tiller. Probably conneted to the mast. He was trying to make land. Probably ran out of food. Or water. Died out here... question is why."

As storm came up the ball of light faded. Moving asidr he shook off gently. "Come on. We need sleep. Lets just put this poor pony away until we can find land and set him to rest where hr belongs..."

Blueblood was not a pony inclined to take the mystical view of things.  True, things in their nature creepy did indeed make his flesh... creep, but the means he used to comfort himself was to remember the rational view of things.  It was just a pity that in most cases, he hadn't a strong enough head to remember what the rational explanation was, or to remember that in Equestria, the rational explanation is not always the right one...

"Currents made the sandbar, currents swept him here."  He repeated, looking over what remained of the Voyager II.  "Not surprised, really.  Sea's full of ship's graveyards."  Mention of which brought his thoughts back to the dead pony, which he peered at with something between distaste and...respect.  One pony who dared the seas to another.  "Would... one of the pottery vessels do well to hold the bones?  Not right to leave them lying about.  Unsanitary, too."

Storm shrugged. "Let me go see if there is one in tact. Most seemed smashed. But yes. Some respect would be appropriate..." hr cast another light ball and dove back down. As he came up he had a pot. It was dirty but still in tact.

Gently placing the skull inside he sighed. "No lid. But at least its an urn for him. Looks like Earth pony. Pegasi have a lighter bone structure. And no horn." He looked around. "It doesnt seem right to leave the wreck just sitting on the sand... should i sink the rest and let the ship be at peace?" He asked. His tone was reverant. Ad if the ship had been alive.

Neither of the two unicorns had found any more bones, though whether that was because the sand had buried them or the crabs carried them off was hard to say.  For his own part, Prince Blueblood was disinclined to be so thorough in his examinations.  Still, he was reverent enough as the remains they had found were placed into the urn, and the lid atop it.  Setting it aside for transport back to the yacht, Blueblood looked back up at the wreck, and considered the effort needed to unbury it from the sand.

*Yawn*  "In the morning, maybe?  It's been something of a long day for me, I need sleep before then."

Archived