Strangers in the City of the Unicorns (Thunderbuck, SteelEagle)

Blueblood

"My justice shall, as always, be very fair to all involved, Earth Writer, and will not forget his recent actions.”

Well, that was pretty much all they could hope for.  Feather Touch, for his part, did not seem inclined to plead his case for amelioration in any degree.  This was even in the face of Kastroti justice, which in all likelihood would lead to enslavement, either by sentence or indebtedness, as the gem was apparently very valuable one.  It argued for the pegasus being a better fit for Maretonia than Equestria, as most citizens of the latter had nothing but horror for the institution and pity for those caught in it.

As for Earth Writer, his cultural repulsion had very much softened, mostly because the most prominent slaveholder he now knew was Heart Stopper, and surely nothing associated with her could be all bad, right?  He still would have said that he disliked the notion of becoming one, of course, which was especially ironic considering his position relative to Heart Stopper, i.e. a comfortable settee.  Truthfully, the distinction between slave and free in his case was largely semantic; her slight tone of reproach alone was enough not only to silence all objection from him, but largely remove it from his mind.

If that tone caused any worry of a permanent loss of esteem in her eyes, the mare’s bestowal of a pet name upon him soothed all worries.  Not that he could name very many ponies whom he would allow to call him ‘Earthy.’  Wasn’t there one pegasus mare…?  He couldn’t remember now.  It didn’t matter.  Yes, that sounds like an excellent idea.  I should have the first few articles ready for publication soon.

He nodded agreement, but otherwise didn’t move.  Heart Stopper hadn’t told him to yet, and she was still leaning against him.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Feather Touch, not having anyone leaning on him like furniture, nodded and slowly stood. "If it does not bother you My Lady, I would take some time to have a night cap before retiring to bed. I find myself unable to sleep soundly at this time."  Those were highly unusual words for the pegasus. Never had he engaged in the night time ritual of a before bed drink of any kind. And any pony that had known him for longer than 5 minutes would know he was not the sort to drink at all. 

However the look on his face was plain enough. He likely felt the need for one. There was no indication he would try to run. No, merely that he felt the need to change his evening routine in order to facilitate some form of slumber. Body posture was calm, muscles loose and relaxed at least. The pegasus seemed to have the simple look on him that he, for the first time in ages, needed a drink.

If there was anything to be said of how a pony could play their hand, his was tipping now. That natural poker face was showing emotion. Resignation, not total defeat, but resignation to his fate that tomorrow he was never going to be a free pony again. 

• 1 month later...

This had been such a delightful day, full of surprises and happiness for everypony she cared about (herself) without none of that pesky emotional stress that came with actually trying to better the lives of another. Not that their lives weren't infinitely more glorious with even the barest of hints of her in their lives, because that was simply a stone cold fact. She found a wonderful new toy that would help improve her standing inside and outside of Maretonia and a delightfully unusual pegasus who should get her some nie profit, one way or another. Neither was perfect of course but that was why she was here, to make them so, and as long as they gave up on their little ideals of Equestrian virtue and allowed themselves to be impregnated with the germ of her lifestyle, they would most definitely reach perfection.

She stretched on Earthy a little more, enjoying his studious warmth. She waved at Feather Touch as if to dismiss him. "You may leave, Feather Touch. Be in the Hall at ten in the morning, looking your very best. We'll talk then," she said, giving him the rest of the day off. After all, she had Earthy to entertain her and some work that needed to be done while she decided just what was needed to be done with Feather. She sighed once Feather was arrive, scooting away from Earthy and leaving him momentarily cold. Not for along, of course. "Well, let's go home. You have some work to do and if I have my way- an exciting night just for you. Come on you eager little thing you," she said, patting her leg the way one might summon a dog as she made her way out, into the cart, and soon enough it was back to the Castle for the two of them.

While Earth Writer was well-acquainted with Feather touch to raise an eyebrow at his desire for a nightcap, he was not surprised enough to raise a comment. He himself didn't use to be much of a drinker, until engaging in the cynicism-spawning trade of journalism.  And the pegasus was having a rough day, much rougher than the reporter's own, who truth be told felt only in need of a drink to toast his good fortune!  The stallion at least had good taste enough to not let his mood show in front of his companion, instead adopting a tone of supporting commiseration.  "Alright then, goodnight.  May your cleaned conscience be the best of pillows, at least."

Had Feather Touch lost sleep over the gem?  It was hard for Earth to remember, especially after the other had taken his leave.  Being alone with Heart Stopper took all of a stallion's attention, as the mare well knew, and ensured!  She was equally enthralling, whether she was warming him up or leaving him cold.  He felt nothing demeaning in being summoned as her pet, and barely even noticed the implications of the gesture.  And, had he done so, would he have minded?  At this point, it would be hard to say.  "Oh, yes.  These articles won't write themselves, unlike the essays of upper-class education."  Flippant wit was still too ingrained in him for Heart Stopper's mere presence to shut it down, but there was no sting in it anymore.  He was indeed eager when he jumped into the cart, not unlike a dog, actually, eager and curious as to what the 'exciting night' promised would be.  Work before pleasure, of course, but still, anticipation would make the pages fill all the faster!

Feather needed no second bidding. Finding his own way out, he moved down the streets, headed for the places he knew he was...welcome. An hour of walking took him to the Pegasi residency and shops. He saw what he wanted. A pub. Walking that way he slowly entered and quietly shut the door behind himself. He heard the conversations around him, but paid little heed. It was only when his rump was placed at a stool and he was looking at the bottles behind the counter that he realized others were staring at him. His wings must be drooping again. But...well it was irrelevant at this point. 

The pegasus finally figured out what he wanted and waited for the bartender to come over. As he was waiting he heard the words, "Wonder what he was doing with her?" He looked over, catching the eye of the ones speaking. They moved toward him, most were large and bulky. "Alright. Seems you aren't deaf. Let's see if you can talk. What are you doing here after being seen all day with Her?" Feather sighed, "I am from Equestria. I was returning stolen property to it's rightful owner, and now I pay for that crime myself." The larger ponies chuckled or snorted and moved away. All but one. He sat himself beside Feather. "Ah. I see now. Not everything works like it did in your lands does it?" "No. But I expected as much when I came here." "Then why did you come?" "Mostly, to understand. To see for myself what would terrify my ancestors so much they had to run away." 

For most of the night, Feather sat in company with this particular stallion, drinking and conversing. And he could take no more, he stood, bringing out his saddlebags and laying on the counter her various bits. The bartender looked at him oddly as he was trying to sort out payment. "Nay lad. you be on your way. It's well enough. you only had two pints." Feather tried again but when the bartender refused he gathered his things and made his way back out. He was not drunk. He was almost sober. Walking to the castle again, he made his way to the bath. Without the servants around him, he was able to bathe himself in peace. He was in the process of cleaning, when he remembered the gen in his mane that Stormstride had given him. She was of the Cloud line. He remembered that she said her family was from this land. Long ago they had left to go to Equestria and never returned. What had happened? The book said they were a minor noble family. 

Sighing he finished his bath and then went to dry himself off. Taking time to brush his mane properly, before affixing the gem to his mane. Brushing his wings out properly he let them hang open to finish drying without curling his feathers. Moving to his tail, he took time to brush it, curling it properly as he worked to keep it perfect. He was calm. Resigned to a fate in slavery. Maybe he would be sold as a massage pony to some noble. But the nagging fear in his mind, that they would take his wings. It was not that he could fly. Certainly not. No it was the fact that a pegasus without wings was something dreadful. It was the ultimate punishment, the ultimate insult to any pegasus. removing their wings. And so with that weighing on his mind he went to where he was told to go. It was still early. He would be standing there for a while. But he was used to being on his hooves for hours on end. 

Coming to the hall, he saw the guards standing at their posts. And the sight of them made him uneasy. He sighed and took a deep breath. Moving to stand beside a pillar, he reached up. Touching the gem softly he muttered, "Storm... I need you." He knew Stormstride. He knew her favored means of entry was flashy. But the gentle glow beside him told him she was there. Looking, he was startled. This was not the mare in a pretty dress. This was..... A battle mage. her armor glittered in the light. She was fully armored, prepared for battle. But her face was calm as she smiled at him. "Was wondering when you would call. Good thing I decided against having a drink tonight. Otherwise I would be completely asleep." Feather was dumbstruck at her armor. It was silver in color. Not like the golden armor of Equestrian guards. The insignia she bore was from Fet Loch. Gems dotted the armor in places, large and cleanly cut. It was near hypnotic to look at. Then he noticed the furs. Thick fur that lined her armor at all joints and hid her body from view. Even her underbelly was covered in a thick chain mail lined with furs. Her mane and tail were tightly braided and curled up. Her spear mounted on her back, but much shorter than the usual spear. On her side was what looked like a sword of some kind. Then he noticed a necklace on her he had never seen before. It had various..symbols on the medallion that hung from the gold chain. The most prominent was the symbol of a lightning bolt shattering a shield.  All in all, she was a rather imposing figure to see. But those eyes. Those emerald green eyes. They were like knives. Knives that cut through a pony to the soul. Stormy had come looking for a fight. And Feather wondered just how far she was willing to go. 

That night she made sure to keep her little reporter very, very busy. She was always close but made sure to not dig too deep into what he was writing. Not visibly, anyway. Close enough to remind him of her presence. She did give him his own space, but it was a room without doors and a balcony that oversaw one of hr many chambers, pool included. Hopefully he could write over the incessant laughter, light music, giggling, and assorted forms of debauchery she oversaw. She made a concerted effort to go up and visit him every once in a while complete with luxurious, form-showing robe. She'd play the part of a friendly editor. She would only ever make suggestions and was there to correct the record, but never to tell him what to write or how to relay the message.

After all, he was such a wonderful journalist that she would never dream of interfering with his work. Never.

And while she was enjoying the company of many tonight, she still had her mind on Feather Touch. So many options. One she hadn't considered was simply keeping him a bit close. There was a mare, Stormsifter or something of that sort, also an Equestrian. She was of very fine stock. A foal born of that relationship would likely be something worthwhile. Not to mention easily trainable, unlike an older, and less inclined to learn, pegasus with delusions of equality skipping inside of their mostly vacant skulls. She'd seen them dissected before and while she hadn't seen a Unicorn's brain, she could safely assume that Pegasi were most definitely bird brains. Heh.

After he was done, she read over his report. Satisfied, she gave him a warm hug, partially using his body to dry off from the pool. “Such an excellent job, Earthy. You certainly have a way with the written word. You must be so tired though. Send it, and then come to bed,” she said. Once he had done that, she made sure to have the aides properly clean him for bed. He was allowed into her bedchambers and right into the most luxurious bed. The fabric itself was magical and bent to the will of Heart Stopper, who ensured the proper mood was set for every encounter. She gave him a sweet little cuddle and then slowly, over the course of a few minutes, positioned him as a pillow. “Good night, Earthy. Before you sleep, could you give me a little woof woof?”

As Feather Touch departed for the evening, it is fair to say that he did not re-enter the mind of Earth Writer all that night.  Certainly not to any degree sufficient to warrant mention in his first articles.  That was probably best for all concerned; telling his story up front would introduce the perhaps-awkward issue of the Kastrotian Justice system before Equestrian readers were in the proper mindset to see it from a sympathetic point of view.  In fact, as the reporter actually sat down to consolidate his notes into a coherent, informative narrative, it struck him just how much his own attitude and outlook upon the unicorn-dominated city had changed.  Seeing it for himself had done much, he supposed, to dispel a lot of the bad impressions that rumor and hearsay had left upon him.

Of course, a large share of the credit had also to go to Heart Stopper herself, who had been a wonderful tour guide through her city, and in a way, her world.  "Do you have a suitable photograph of yourself that I could send back to my editor?"  He asked, during one of her visits.  "Not only would it be a crime to deny my readers a vision of your beauty, but I think it would be hard to convey what makes this place as great as it is without it."  He was almost certain that the unicorn noble would find that to be a reasonable request, although he was not quite sure if photography existed as a vibrant industry in Kastrot.  Well, a good woodcut or etching would suffice, in a pinch.

Other than her helpful editorial comments, however, Heart Stopper was something of a distraction from Earth's work.  The noise from outside he didn't mind so much; he'd written more intensely in a room above the Veiled Garden pub back in Canterlot, and there was always some kind of artistic carousing going on.  But the mare's visits left him bemused and befogged, visions of her in that form-showing robe dancing around until the scratchings of his pen chased them away, until the next visit.  At last, however, they were done.  The first two articles, in fact.  He had decided to go in logical, rather than chronological order; beginning with his first impressions of all the events of his visit up until that point, then going back to cover the background of the city, and Heart Stopper's family in general.  It was best, he felt, to take the readers on the same sort of journey that any Equestrian visitor was likely to experience, first pointing out the details that would strike their fancy, only revealing the rich history behind them later.  It took the form, under his wordsmithing, almost of a mystery novel, with tantalizing clues followed up by illuminating revelations.  If the readers responded well, he could be assured of encouraging checks from his editor back at home for some time to come.

And if Heart Stopper's feedback was anything to go by, Earth Writer was certainly on the right track!  "Why, thank you, Lady Heart Stopper!"  He laughed, a little tired after the intense writing.  He hugged her back, pleased and still mildly surprised by her openness to physical contact.  Catch any of the noble ladies back in Canterlot willing to dry their damp bodies against his!  Stuffing his papers into an envelope and sealing it, he allowed the servants to clean him off, the dust and sweat of the long day flowing off with the tension in his bones.

He was to be pleasantly surprised again this evening, upon being admitted to Heart's own most luxurious bed chambers.  He couldn't help but blush a little, as she welcomed him on with a sweet little cuddle.  He wasn't sure if it would be acceptable for him to cuddle her back, but he decided to do so until rebuked.  He settled down soon, relaxing, content to be used as a warm pillow for her.  But then she asked him for a little 'woof woof,' and at first he wasn't sure what she meant.  Was that a local idiom for something, or was she actually asking him to bark like a dog?  Probably the latter, he decided after a second, happy enough to play along.  "Woof, woof!"  He said, not quite giving a realistic bark, as he faded into a happy yawn, not caring or questioning what requests were made of him now, as sleep began to claim him.

Stormstride spent that time with Feather Touch. Their conversation was very soft spoken, barely loud enough for themselves to hear, let alone another pony. And while there were other points discussed, the main point was why in the world would Feather ever consider coming here without a body guard. Stormstride arched an eyebrow, hearing that another Equestrian had come, and promptly fallen sway to whatever charms Heart Stopper produced. Add to that mixture of infatuation and deception, a dash of darkness both had seen in the lower areas of the city. It was rather unsettling to Stormstride. However, the mare would not disrupt the city and make an incident over another country's customs. 

She would however, disrupt the entire palace and its inhabitants if any pony laid a single hoof on Feather Touch without his permission. The small stallion was still a friend and Stormstride had enough passion left in her that her friends would warrant the full wrath of her anger if they were threatened. The mare watched as a guard walked past on patrol, she met his gaze and both stared for a moment. The guard continued alone, carried by his marching hooves. Stormstride returned her eyes forward. She pondered the ability of their combat skills. She had not heard of any wars or problems in Maretonia as a whole. Let alone Kastrot. 

The pair stayed where they were, even as the sun rose and began lighting the world. Feather strangely felt calm now. He hadn't slept at all. But given the fact that he had a friend here that was not so easily swayed by words, he was at least feeling safe. Stormstride had remained calm as well, though her outward posture and inward thoughts were completely different. One could never tell with a pony like her. Her poker face was better than Feather's. As the appointed time came Feather stretched out, and made sure his appearance was as good as it could ever be. Stormstride brushed her armor a bit, before taking position just one step ahead and to the side of Feather. 

• 2 weeks later...

Heart Stopper was used to the finer things in existence and could share her tastes among those in the upper class of Equestrian society. The main difference between the upper crust of Equestria and what she could get was that thin veneer of morality that she was allowed to strip away. They might scoff and protest the notion of perfect pony pillow; she simply made sure to snuggle it harder and ensure little Earthy was treated just right. When she woke up she made sure to stretch out just right so her body servants knew it was time to work on her beautiful peddies. When that was done she got up, allowing others to get up, and prepared herself for the day. She made sure that when Earth was up those same aides tended to him- she had strict orders for them to ensure he would be presentable for the day's court. And what a fun day it would be.

She was going to decide the fate of Feather Touch and his splendidly unique form. Truth be told she had spent some of that time last night giggling and guffawing about sending messengers out and about to query potentially interested parties and made sure to keep tabs on him. Nothing too tight, of course, nor intrusive- just enough t know who he was with, and then send others out to figure out what was needed about the companion. In the end she believed she had come up with an idea that would be appreciated by all sides, most especially her. And that was all that counted in the end. She eventually made her way down to the throne room. Over the course of the day more and bigger cases would come in but at the start it would be just her, some guards, some scribes, Earthy- and then Feather Touch and his companion. When the time was right she cleared her throat. "Send them in now, we don't have all day."

Earth Writer's dreams were... strange, to say the least.  He could remember little from them afterwards, save that he was chasing a beautiful ghost through a great palace, or series of palaces, where doorways opened to ever-larger, ever-grander rooms with richer and richer decorations, but nowhere was there a window, or a hint of outer air.  Incense and fragrances intoxicated, bewitched, and soon almost completely fogged the atmosphere, leaving him panting, helpless, but strangely free of fear as he felt other presences close in...

He awoke to find a particular presence very near indeed, and quite welcome.  He awoke at his own pace, slowly, so as not to disturb Heart Stopper's reclining, or jostle her hooves while they were being cared for.  His eyes followed her as she dismounted the bed, almost following automatically before discovering that he was to be prepared for the day at court!  The journalist had never been the sort to seek out a pedicure before, so the whole sensation was novel to him.  It surprised him how much it made him feel like a new pony, a different pony, one who donned the toga more naturally than he had the day before.  Earth felt less out of place here, a little less like a foreigner.  He was still wide-eyed and observant, but perhaps no longer astonished?  Certainly beyond being shocked.

He ended up standing beside her, waiting for the judgment upon his traveling companion to be passed.  This time, the defendant might not be able to expect so many words on their behalf.  After all, Feather Touch had voluntarily thrown himself upon the mercy of Heart Stopper's court.  And now he would find out just how much there was...

The moment the doors opened, Stormstride herself walked in first. And if the scowl on her face was any indication, she was about to do something very bad. Feather was more reserved in pace. The worry on his face growing as he watched the Unicorn in front of him walking right toward Heart Stopper. As both came to a stop, the Unicorn spoke first. "My name is Stromstride Cloud. Living heir to Lord Cloud himself and I come to claim that throne...today." Her tone was not respectable. It was challenging. "I am sure you are aware your family holds the claim on that part of the land. When my own ancestor died without naming an heir, your family claimed the land before one could appear. The small palace with the vineyard on its property. But an age has passed since then and we are far more...civil now. As the living heir, and with no other present of the same blood to challenge me, I hereby lay claim. And before you Inquire, I am taking up the mantel of my lineage in this country again, with all rights and privileges of a noble of this land. This is to include what servants I may hire and workers for the vineyards. And if i so desire... unpaid help." Feather was mortified a bit, but didn't say anything. He had never heard Storm take that tone before. But the unicorn continued. 

"As well, I think it would be fitting, given that my holdings are not so slim as the average Equestrian guard. I have come into possession of the lion's share of my ancestor's wealth. And while I Am presenting my case before you to resolve this diplomatically..... I am not above trial by combat if that is your desire, Lady Heart Stopper." At that Feather had to speak up. "Stormy.. Please... Dont push her. She has more power here than any pony here. don't provoke her." Storm stood her ground. "I speak, not as some small Equestrian lost in the wilds of the Everfree my friend. But I speak as the Heir of my throne. And by words or blood I will have it."  So there it was. The very reason Stormstride was in Kastrot. "As well, seeing as the gem was returned, and my family has languished in squalor for over a century, I believe you have your justice for the theft of a worthless piece of stone. Come now Heart Stopper. Do you really need to draw more than your pound of flesh? Give me my servant and my throne." Feather blinked. The tone had changed. Stormstride was... Yes she had called him a servant but the words never mattered. It was the tone. And that tone was softer. She was switching from the stick to the carrot, and no doubt she would instantly switch again. Never staying in a pattern for long would help her keep the conversation unstable and easily twisted. "Then again, you are known to be cruel and unusual with punishments. Snipping the wings of a pegasi just to see what they look like without them? Or putting rivals under the dungeon. You and I both know this is just a game between us..." That tone was changing again. A near twisted grin spread across Storm's face. What was she doing? Feather had that thought cross his mind several times as he listened to her speak. Changing tone, but never posture. She was posed loosely and lightly, as if relaxed. 

• 2 weeks later...

It was rare that somepony had the intestinal fortitude to challenge a noble of Kastrot unless they were of equal nobility, safe behind protocol and the trappings of their station. Ponies that had that courage were very valuable provocateurs. Stirring up the populace, allowing her intelligence agencies to discover who was disloyal in the heart of things. It always brought a smile to her face to see the impudence and sense of invincibility that came with delusional and belligerent righteousness. Most of them ended their careers as agents of change in the bridge communities, dying alone and forgotten. For a brief, shining moment Heart Stopper believed that this bold unicorn was yet another but had her hopes dashed, as the truth of her visit and claims and the lowly character of the threats displayed sent her spiraling from a height of excitement to the doldrums of the day to day.

Oh, she considered herself nobility because her ancestors were ponies of importance. How quaint. Claiming importance because of the failure of your ancestors to produce an heir made about as much sense as claiming you owned a building because ages ago your dead ancestors occupied it. She may have put strength behind her words and convictions but her ignorance of Kastrot marked her as an Equestrian far more than any sense of tone could. Trial by combat? Long dead rights? Perish the thought of reason and law, because this silly little thing thought she knew better. Heart Stopper allowed her to finish oh so strong before she started laughing- as if at a funny joke, or an amusing performance by the jester.

"Hahahahahaha," she laughed, stamping her front hooves on the ground lightly in accordance with it, "that was really quite rich. So righteous! If only the rights of the long dead and heirless held up under Kastroti law, my dear, which it does not. I hate to break your heart little pony, but your 'nobility' died in the grave with your ancestors. Your land, or what you think should be yours, is now Heart family property," she sighed, her horn glowing for a brief moment before a stack of papers showed up. "However, I am not unreasonable, my dear. In fact, I am quite excited to have you back! I am so generous and caring for the histories of others that I am more than willing to raise you and your name to nobility, and give you some land. You will be a Minor Family under the jurisdiction of the Hearts of course, but- well, your family wasn't even a big deal back then, so did you really think your name would get rewarded for the impotence of your ancestors?" she snorted.

"Your rights as a minor noble: You may run your land as you desire as long as it does not conflict with your patron- in this case, the Heart family- and their laws, as well as the laws of Kastrot on the whole. Taxes, protection, rights, etcetra are all yours to decide. You are allowed to grow the size of your land by acquiring the land of other minor nobility, with disagreements being mediated by the Heart family. Your duties as a minor noble: You pay a tax to your patron- the Heart family- monthly. The percentage can be negotiated, and in times of financial stress, other payments can be considered. In times of emergency or other Island or city Stressors- war, flash flooding, fires, you catch the drill- you are required to answer the summons of the Heart family and do as requested. It is also Kastroti custom that the first born of the nobility be sent to the curt of their patrons, which would be enforced in this circumstance.

So if you agree to all that, just sign on this dotted line-” she said, levitating a quill and the important bit of parchment, “and I'll get to work on your behalf. It shouldn't be too difficult but with this tone you struck it may take several weeks to grease the wheels of Kastroti law. What should work for you is taking in your first charge, Feather Touch. I was going to take him for my own household but I think you'll be even better. Produce a child, send it to my court, and that should end any disagreement with you becoming a noble. Before that time I can make you a minor noble over the objections of a few of the more petulant members of the city,” she said warmly, excited over the possibilities.

Having the first born in court was an important part of relations between minor noble families and their patrons. It helped ensure that future leaders of the noble families tended to the needs of their patrons and benefited from a superior education. It also made the minor families more compliant, as any great misdeed was simply not the avenue for being ejected from the nobility. It was common practice across the whole of the city- being beholden to the Hearts was better than most could hope for in this regard. And having Feather as a mate would produce the child that Heart desired, and there was so many ways to profit from it. And look at how generous she was being- doing all of this and not reprimanding her for trying to treat this court like she was some Acroneighosian beast. Truly she was the most generous and kind of patrons!

Never having met Stormstride before, Earth Writer was surprised and puzzled by her appearance here.  Had this been Feather Touch's plan all along?  To hope to make restitution to ease his conscience, but to back a challenger if said repayment proved to be too much for him?  Given the power differential involved, however, the reporter felt this was more likely an improvised plan, agreed to more or less out of panic and opportunism.  Honestly, the unicorn wasn't willing to bet much on it's chances.

However, it looked as if Heart Stopper wasn't going to take this opportunity to crush the both of them.  More trouble than it was worth, perhaps?   Clever politicking to get a powerful servant instead of just another slave?  Or was there some genuine uncertainty of what would happen if it came down violence?  He wasn't sure, but Earth was noting the events, and the noble's explanations, down in shorthand detail.  Not that the readers back home were likely to be interested in the nitty-gritty of internal politicking, but one never knew.  A book about this place would have to be published eventually, and it couldn't simply be reprints of articles, oh no!  That'd be cheating the public.

He was an observer to this proceeding, choosing merely to watch, and await the proceedings of the judgment...

It was Stormstrides turn to laugh. But the laugh she had was cruel, near evil in tone. Feather Touch backed away from her, and closer to one of Heart Stopper's guards as if seeking protection. 

When Stormstride finished laughing she spoke. "Before i sign this you should know... i wasnt born a mare. Though... i have one first born daughter. And a younger brother by the name of Thunderbuck Cloud. If you swear on your life no harm would come to either, I would see both coming here. Afterall, the worthless city of Canterlot has done little for all of us. Perhaps we can reach a deal. Though...." her eyes flashed darkly behind the helmet visor. "I must admit...i have grown quite fond of doing things my own way. My counter proposal is simple..." 

Taking a moment to remove her helm and letting her mane tumble down her back. The length of it nearly reached her flank. "The castle and vineyard under my control. In exchange 65% of profits paid to you as tribute, and a full cask of each year's best wine delivered right to you personally. I buy my own slaves and servants, as well I keep Feather Touch here as my husband. Under my protection. In matters of crisis, I can come settle things for you if you need force. Lightning is a powerful deterant. And finally, I would request access to your libraries containing the magic spells of the old world. There are a few I would like to add to my arsenal."

Feather Touch finally got what her game was. She was playing her gambit for position. Some rank, or position of power she could use. But for what means he could not guess. Stromstride was not cruel. But this was new on her. 

Ah, an interesting counter-proposal! As was the fact she was born a stallion. In Equestria such a thing meant one could not be fruitful in the production of children, but in Kastrot, things were far more complex. The only barrier to a full existence as a mare or stallion regardless of birth was money and power. If you could accumulate it then biology was more of a suggestion than a command. Just another interesting note, and something to dangle in front of her at a later time. Heart Stopper would keep that nugget of information safe for her own use, happy to let her Equestrian past die. No reason to let that out, especially for her new noble's reputation. Equestrians were taken advantage of enough in the city as it was. An 'Equestrian' noble wouldn't last long. 

Nonetheless, she had a counter proposal. She didn't know why the counter-proposal was needed, as the land had a castle and most of the vineyard. So she wanted a small part of the vineyard as well as access to the libraries of old magic, and Heart would get almost double the required tribute? It sounded quite excellent, but Heart wasn't going to stop it. It was a win for her. Still, she had lay down a few things. "I don't want your other devils, Stormstride. I want the one born here. With him," she pointed to Feather Touch, "and it will be mine. 65% is agreeable, and you may have the rest of the vineyard, with your finest being delivered to me.  Beyond all that, I find everything fancy am=nd quite nice. Sign when you will, Stormstride. I'll have escorts assigned to you. How else may your most benevolent and joyous patron help you?"

Stormstride took the time to read over the document. her horn glowing softly as she did. levitating the pen over, she signed. Once that was done, she levitated her helm and set it on her back, hooking it on the armor. Turning to Feather Touch, she motioned him over. He approached, though a bit startled and confused. "This contract is binding. Now, as for what it means for you, it means you will continue to do what you do best. And I will use my position to provide you with the tools of your trade as best and often as I can. That said, I expect you to understand, neither of us are ever returning to Equestria...ever. I have my reasons, and now you have yours." Feather Touch pondered for a moment. Had all this been a facade to secure his safety? Or was he just a bystander in a game of chess? Maybe a bit of both... "Why did you do this for me?" "You are my dear friend, and honestly I would rather you be bound to me, than ever be risked elsewhere." He finally got it. She had come for her own reasons, but finding him here she changed her plans to protect him.

Turning to Heart Stopper, Stormstride spoke, "If you would, I would like the name of a proper tailor and mane dresser. As well, a proper place to buy wedding attire for myself. I have a wedding to plan, and your advice would certainly go far, my lady." There was the respectful tone. Stormstride had gotten what she wanted, and was contented. "And of course you are invited my lady, as the guest of honor of course." Had Feather had any stable mind at the moment, he would have objected with all his worth. Being thrust into this was not something he envisioned. However, he was still processing what happened. Stormstride risked her claim over him. Certainly she could have taken it by force. He had seen her demonstrate time and again her ability. But the fact remained, could she hold her own against well trained and provisioned guards like these? Likely not for longer than two hours. Now though, he had to at least learn his role in this world. As the pet of a noble he had to properly address others, and learn when and how to speak. 

It was then his eyes were drawn back up, "As for you, reporter....I would appreciate it if you omitted my name from anything you send back to Canterlot. Until such a time as I can return my family to these shores properly and safely, any mention of such acts would be likely considered unsavory. And My brother is not the most apt to be able to defend himself. Though, he had his own methods, as you are likely aware."

And... that was it.  Surprisingly, given that one party in the negotiations seemed so hostile, the agreements were signed peacefully, with both parties satisfied.  All things considered, Earth Writer felt that this was a good demonstration, and perhaps justification, of the Kastroti way of doing things.  He was glad that he had decided to take notes in the background for this,

"Oh, don't worry, I'll leave names out of this account."  The reporter assured Stormstride.  "I will be reporting on the incident, though.  An example of how to properly and successfully conduct negotiations with Maretonian nobility would be a useful thing to have in the archives, for everypony, really."  For all his going native, toga wearing and acting as both pillow and pet for Heart Stopper, the unicorn still held on to Equestrian Optimism and Ideals.  If everyone just sat down and tried to understand each other, peace and harmony would reign.  To facilitate this was his job and sacred calling; the rest, surely, were side benefits no one could begrudge him, not for such important work!

This was a very successful negotiation. Like others, Stormstride had the appearance of getting what she wanted. It was an important step in the proper heeling of new nobility was the appearance of success, and any true patron did want them to enjoy a certain degree of it. Their financial success became your success, and their reputation was forever attached to yours. A minor noble that ended up doing very well financially and had a good reputation boosted their patron in both ways. One that failed spoke poorly of the patron's ability to recognize talent and those who belonged in the upper echelons of Kastroti society. So a patron honestly wanted their subservient nobility to experience enough success to keep them and their subjects fat and happy, reflecting well on the patron, but with a limit.

You wanted to take from them in personal ways again and again, never with malicious intent, establishing a sense of personal superiority. Their success came as a result of their anger and frustration at this, trying to attain greater and greater levels of respect, never realizing that their success reflected on their patron as much as it did on themselves. All of their sneaking and plotting they did in trying to fight their patrons was for nought and as they grew old and beaten down they would watch the new leaders of their noble houses adhere more rigidly than ever to their patrons, having been molded by them for years. They would then die in submission, and their families forever beholden. Future success was predicated on trying to live up to ancestry and the increasing...requests...of their beloved patrons.

Even rebellions noble houses turned out to be such well-heeled children to the patrons that supported them. "This all sounds delightful to me! Let me send you to one of the best in Kastrot. Their names are Mr. and Mr. and Mrs. and Mr. and Mrs Linen'd Touch'd," she popped a scroll in existence. It swirled around with colors for a few seconds and then was given to Storm. "They work for the Hearts for free when requested. You'll love them. Earthy dear, feel free to include my name in it. It is very important to see how the differences in how the Hearts conduct business as opposed to some of the other houses. If somecorn had approached one of them with such an attitude, they'd have been killed on the spot! Such uncivilized behavior deserves to be associated with those families and those families alone."

((OOC: So since this is about the end of this thread, either of you want to discuss a next step for this?))

Stormstride smiled to herself, well aware of how the nobility of this land worked. She had played the cards right, and now.... well she was very accustomed to how things worked behind closed doors in the political circles. They had played her for a fool before. But now, well suffice it to say that those that had wronged her would certainly wish they had not. Starting with her old commander, and working her way through the streets of Canterlot to that blasted palace...in time. For now, she needed to consolidate her power, and her new wealth. "I am aware of how they react, my lady. As I said, I came into the lion's share of my ancestor's wealth...One of the lesser minded nobles from another part of Maretonia had a mind to take the trial by combat.....he lost." Turning she began to check Feather over for harm. he was well cared for, clean, and safe. That satisfied, she motioned him to the hall. "Wait for me out there darling." Feather moved automatically, still lost in his daze. Once he was gone, Storm turned to Heart Stopper. "I have a feeling we will be getting guests from Equestria soon enough. I have my own resentment toward them, and my father's ghost haunted me long enough to bring me home to this place. But I feel obligated to tell you, my lady, that I have every intent to destroy every pony from Equestria that wronged me. One by one I will ruin them as they ruined me. That said, anything I can do for you, let me know. I plan to make myself very useful to you." the grin that spread across her face was malicious. Something inside Stormstride had broken...and now she was becoming the thing she had always fought against. Her horn glowed and arched with magical electricity, a display of what she was willing to do for her new patron. "Now, I will be heading back to my room at the inn. I have to pack my things and prepare to relocate soon."

Feather touch was quite calm, but still confused. Mostly by how things here worked. It was vastly different than Equestria. And...well this hand ended much more civilly than he thought it would. He figured he would be sold as a slave. But instead he was married off to another, and told his firstborn would be given to Heart Stopper. Though.... how that would work he had no idea. Storm was not born a mare. There was magic yea but no spell was permanent was it? Nothing could change a pony like that. But he had seen the glint in her eye. Something had happened to her. Something had hurt her in a way deeper than words normally could. The mare was dark, near evil. Her intent was clear, she was giving up all the Equestrian principles she had upheld all her life. And yet, she still had the gentleness Feather had once known in her. Maybe he could heal her heart somehow. 

((I'm fine with beginning this thread's wrap-up; check PM's for OOC))

"As you wish."  Earth Writer replied with a nod.  It was another casual compromise, complying with the will of the powerful in how one's articles ought to be written.  It was a common-sense request, and one which the reporter would honestly have probably done anyway, but once again the habit of looking to Heart Stopper was becoming more and more ingrained.  It would eventually be as good as having a court chronicler on the press; better, as Earth directly reached foreign opinion and wasn't on the treasury payroll.  OK, that last one was debatable, given the luxuries showered upon him.  Corruption, it seemed, was an easy thing.

The same might be said for Stormstride; ideals bent to the practical and the base, eventually breaking without being mourned, it seemed.  And over all ruled supreme the beautiful figure of Heart Stopper, a mare of this world and mistress of it.  Truly, the right and proper ruler too, if this was really how the world worked.  She had seemingly convinced all three now, and who knows how many after?

Archived