A Changeling's Confession OOC

DerpRavener

IC thread: http://www.canterlot.com/topic/21466-a-changelings-confession-see-ooc/

Since her exile, through a bit of luck and the kindness of several Equestrians Naj has found friends, a partner, and even received official permission to stay (dependent on her good behavior, of course).  In her mind at least, her integration is almost complete.  She just has one last thing that still needs resolution: she spent a long time in Ponyville with a fake name and appearance, and under false pretenses, and she wants to come clean about it.  The problem is, there are a lot of ponies out there with good reason to dislike changelings...

I was hoping the next thread in this little series would be open.  But for that to work, I wouled need a way for anyone interested to get up to speed quickly.  

I would also like to see who might be interested in this, and it would be handy to have a thread to discuss an confrontations, if they come up.

This is the thread for all of that.

So, is anyone interested?

Hm... I think Psmith might show up, since he pushed the petition in the first place.  I may also have Blueblood show up as well, since he has... issues, to deal with concerning changelings.

I'm interested in this-Candles is a wonderful Changeling.  She has also been in disguise, since...well, forever!  It would be neat to have them two meet and become friends, neither knowing of the other's true species.

Pyroblaze: up to you, really.  Flux might find it interesting to watch Naj (attempt) to reveal herself, or Flux might find it boring to be told something she already knew.  The original idea was about Naj revealing her nature to ponies, but I certainly wouldn't mind having Flux there.

Red: that is true :razz:

Rackenhammer: I like it, and I look forward to seeing how it plays out with both of them there.

SteelEagle: well there won't be a whole lot of travelling around town, Naj will be anxious enough and want to leave at the first good opportunity.  But Aj could happen to be in town that day, and that could make things delightfully messy.

Lyipheoryia: I'm not opposed to that idea, though if that's what you have your heart set on we should probably set up another thread for it.  Naj is going to be pretty open about her species in this particular thread.  Though that wouldn't stop them from becoming friends, or there being some confusion about just who is which species.

I will probably start up the thread proper this weekend, both to give people a little longer to see it and because I will have more time then myself.

Seeing that Naj is EPIC member it wouldn't be so far stretched that she will be given a bodyguard for the occasion? Seeing that Squall is a friend and with much of free time at the moment he would volunteer. Not that she would have an idea that it's him ( I assume that both Naj and Flux were present at the funeral, correct me if that does not fit yours visions).

Lyipheoryia: That can be arranged.  That said, keep in mind that in this particular thread, the first thing that will happen is basically 'Hello, my name is Naj, and I am a changeling'. :P

Ciraxis: I have been working under the assumption that Naj believes Squall to be dead, as she saw it in the papers and hasn't run into him at EPIC, but that she didn't consider herself close enough to go to the funeral, assuming she was invited at all.  She sees/saw the two of them as allies, having worked together reasonably effectively, but at the end of the day she was a subject to capture for Squall, and she doubts she got far beyond that yet.  If nothing else, she didn't think they'd known each other long enough to really be friends.

Naj would probably consider this outside of EPIC's concerns, as it's more a personal issue of hers.  She both wouldn't want to drag them into it, and would have felt she could/should deal with it on her own.  That said, there are plenty of clever people in EPIC.  Someone could easily read between the lines of what she was saying, figure out what she was going to do, and decide keeping an eye on her was a good idea.

Pyroblaze: the only thing that I really wonder about that is how they got in touch to discuss it before now.  Though Naj only arrived in town with Red, they could easily be meeting here, and Naj would probably want all the support she could get.

If you want to add some drama/tension to this thread, I'd be interested bringing in my Changeling Heartless, though I'm not actually sure what he'd do. If your character is simply going around and meeting new people to introduce herself as a Changeling, Heartless could just make a brief appearance with some whispered words of vindictiveness before vanishing, which could in turn provide the way for a discouraged or disappointed Naj needing to be cheered up by others. I wouldn't mind my character making just a brief cameo to stir up some trouble.

The opening post of the thread is up!  I have updated the first post here with it.

Pyroblaze: either way works for me I think, I'll leave specifics up to you.

Zeig: I like it.  I'm not sure how best to fit it into the thread, but I think it could work pretty well.

Lyipheoryia: There we go, that'll work.

Naj may see this as a purely personal matter, however circumstances may say otherwise. First, she is a changeling, a first legal changeling in Equestria. That sets a precedence which certainly is something very important. Second, Ponyville was object of changeling attack, something that Naj surely knows very well. And finally the third one. When Hie exiled her they propably didn't expected her to...well integrate herself into Equestria society to such extend. With Naj doing just that Chrysalis will surely deem her as a potential danger. After all Naj being changeling herself can provide priceless insight into Hie inner workings....a reason good enough for Queen to want her DEAD.

Sooo...would you be okay with Swift...errr. I mean Quattro playing a guardian for a trip?

I have been thus far working under the assumption that Chrysalis doesn't even really know Naj exists.  I've left it open whether the queen had any direct involvement in her exile, and Naj wasn't really noteworthy before then which was about a year ago (IC) now.  So Naj could just as easily be completely ignored as targeted.

The other two points make sense, though Naj herself might disagree.  She will err on the side of underestimating her own value and thinking she can and should hold her own, having never completely lost the front-line-infantry mindset.  So, while she probably wouldn't outright refuse the protection, she might argue against it somewhat.

These are minor though. The larger issue is that 'Quattro' didn't appear in the previous thread in the series, when Naj and Red got to Ponyville.  It could simply be explained by him not having followed inside the castle when they went to talk to Twilight.  But the story I had in my head was that it came up within EPIC, Naj brushed the concerns aside but either was then overruled, or someone above her or someone was sent or decided to follow and keep an eye on her, to make sure she made it back.

Long story short: I am fine with the idea once the slight wrinkle is accounted for.

• 4 weeks later...

I don't think it's too late, go for it.

If you're really worried about flow, I think there will be some wrap up posts after the main discussion is done, and you could wait until then.

I am not too worried about flow, though.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for keeping you waiting. Another one from me. Even if not one of my best ones and a little late.

Just out of curiosity, how long this particular thread will keep going?

I don't see it last too much longer, possibly just a couple more post rotations worth, but it will all depend on how much epilogue there is.  Naj essentially accomplished her goal, and of the three characters most opposed to her only one is left in the thread at this point.

That said, there's no particular amount of length I'm aiming for, and until we either run out of ideas or hit a good end point I plan to keep it going.

Archived