Meeting the Boss (Canterlot) (Attn: RiverHippo)

Lyipheoryia

Agile Speeds

Agile Speeds

The air was cold and frosty, the steps iced and frozen.  His hoofsteps were heavy and contained, like a Royal Guard's.  He was a royal guard.  The Canterlot Castle was well-guarded, as usual-but had even more guards than usual this morning.  He trotted up the stairs, the echoes pounding against the light drizzles of rain.  He stopped in front of a line of Guards, amateur "newbies".  One of the Guards stepped forward to meet him, this one dressed in a slightly different manner form the others: Above average height, Pegasus, Sergeant (First Class?), average weight, keen observer, nervous, (first time?).  Agile presented his identification badge to the Sergeant, and the Guard nervously fumbled with it.  It slid from his hoof, the sound of a splat against small puddles of water.  Agile was careful not to let his composure slip, he was the Command Chief Master Sergeant of the Wonderbolts, after all.  A mumble of apologies surged from the less-experienced Guard started flowing as he was handed back his wet badge.  He grimaced, but continued on his way into the castle.

The marble hall glistened from attention and care, with guards pacing back and forth.  These were his co-workers, the ones that knew how to behave and did it right.  He nodded to one near him, "Lieutenant,", but the other made no reply.  Good, stay focused on duty.  Agile continued on his path, and entered a conference room.  The room was well-used, with fringed hems on the cushions and slightly chipped paint on the walls.  He pranced around the room, inspecting it from all angles-it was, after all, his attention to detail that gave him this title.  He heard the familiar sound of hoofsteps advance into the room, but hesitated in turning around.  He waited for the perfect moment, a split second after the other had entered the room.  Agile whirled around and snapped into a sharp salute, all in one swift motion:

"Good morning, Captain Armour,"

banner_shining_zps335c7546.png

A few pony political parties would suggest, that upon the love princess' inauguration as ruler of the Crystal Empire, it left Shining Armor with the duty of being the lead body guard to a princess' house husband, and nothing more. Far from the case that is, many of Shining's professional engagements dealt with much more personnel management than he has before. Since his duty is less hooves-on, he is asked to coordinate meetings with several leadership titles within the royal guard in order for a proper key and likeness to be recognized and upheld. Fortunately for Shining, most ponies respected his presence, and his leadership in the last decade persisted to prompt guard ponies to respect his authority even when he is unseen. But now, it is more important that he pass on these leadership skills to the ones who will be taking his place at the top of the direct chain of command.

It was cool and drafty, and some of the castle's corridors, exposed to the outdoor environments, froze over with the dampness of the icy rain. Strangely different than what Shining is used to. He was pretty sure that the Crystal Empire had green grass before he left. The heart seems to dictate the weather in the north far better than Canterlot's weather ponies. But of course, this was probably scheduled anyway. Shining was in Canterlot on unofficial business. Primarily, he was meeting with family for a special celebration. Most ponies could suspect as to what it probably was, and that it was about time. But no one in the know would dare break high intelligence protocol.

Shining stepped into a conference room, built for several ponies to meet and gather. Although it was just Agile Speeds, and himself. Agile turned around swiftly, saluted, and greeted. Shining returned the salute. "At ease, Sergeant. Let's stoke that fire in the fire place, its far too chilly here. I thank you for meeting me here tonight. I know it was short notice. I never know when I'm going to have the opportunities to have these personnel checks."

Applejack.pnglunabuttonsig_zpsc23a2b97.pngshiningbuttonsig_zps6d87c176.pngflaxseed.pngGranola_Gracie.pngArrow_Plain.pngMiracle.pngRemington.pngSugar_Rush-1.pngCoconut_Lime.png

Agile monitored the room from the corner of his vision.  It was a skill he had managed well, to never completely focus on one task, no matter how important it was.  He focused his vision on his Captain, noting the way he walked.  Hmm...a little time away from home, and he's already used to the vacation.  The way he breathed in and out, it was almost like he was...cold.  Sure, the weather wasn't the most pleasant, but it was something all Canterlites had grown used to-a bit drafty, windy, chilly, and a bit of drippy rain.  Had the Captain changed so much?  Of course, he would never admit his thoughts out loud to anypony, and that was also another reason why he was a guard: he could keep quiet.  He saw the Captain salute him, perfect, as if in synch with a thousand other soldiers.  At least his skills haven't decreased in vacationland.  He noticed the way saluted, sharp, but almost...with an edge.  Like he was here for a reason and he wouldn't leave without whatever he had to do was done.  The thought chilled Agile, That isn't a good mindset, especially for a Captain.  One must be prepared to leave everything behind, and to return with nothing.  That is the life of a Royal Guard. 

"At ease, Sergeant. Let's stoke that fire in the fire place, its far too chilly here. I thank you for meeting me here tonight. I know it was short notice. I never know when I'm going to have the opportunities to have these personnel checks."

The sound of his Captain woke him back up, and he let his salute snap back onto to the sides of his body.  So casual...doesn't he see that I'm in full uniform here?  Well, I suppose a little stallion time couldn't hurt.  Of course, my idea of stallion time isn't exactly...stallion time.  He walked over to the fire place, noting how clean it was.  Strange.  Didn't the Princess have a meeting here yesterday?  And she always likes the fireplace stoked.  Nevertheless, he started stoking the fire-although his mind was trying to process the strange situation.  The fire roared up almost immediately, which was also very, very strange.  He gave a careful glance to the Captain, but the Captain didn't seem to notice the anomalies.  He would have to check on that for later. 

"Sir-what is the purpose of this meeting?"

A mysterious meeting at night, the Sergeant training his guards after sundown, the fireplace immaculately clean, the fire blazing on with barely any stoking-Is there anything else odd I need to know of?

• 2 weeks later...

Shining didn't react to the question Agile had right away. His face turned away from him, Shining walked towards the beverage table to the side. Using all magic ability, he poured two small glasses of whiskey. He levitated both of them as he walked towards the couch. He sat on a couch, and brought the other glass to Agile's reach. "This is a meeting for us to get to know each other, Shining plainly said. But it's also a way for me to inspect the leadership and help maintain good communication among all ponies in the upper tiers of military rank. Come, join me over here." Shining at this point was completely oblivious to himself sending a mixed message.

"How have things been lately? How is your squad. Any recent roster changes? Any worries?" Shining took a sip of whiskey, his lips curling to savor the flavor of the sweetness.

Applejack.pnglunabuttonsig_zpsc23a2b97.pngshiningbuttonsig_zps6d87c176.pngflaxseed.pngGranola_Gracie.pngArrow_Plain.pngMiracle.pngRemington.pngSugar_Rush-1.pngCoconut_Lime.png

• 2 weeks later...

(Sorry-reply post might be delayed a bit.)

(Edit:  Here it is!)

Agile stood in rapt attention to his senior.  He was both surprised and confused at the Captain's blatant display of causality.  Sitting on the couch...Really?  His Captain really had lost his uniform behaviour.  He gave up studying his boss, returning his attention to the strange situation of the room instead.  There was no point trying to observe Armour-he wasn't the enemy, he wasn't going to hurt him, and he wasn't going to change.  Agile turned to join him at the couch, settling into a comfortable position and slowly forgetting all signs of his business-like demeanor.  He sighed as the Captain answered his question, the answer not exactly what he had been expecting.  When the meeting was called, he came to the conclusion that he was needed for some secret operative.  He never expected the purpose of the meeting to be to "get to know each other better".  Still-he was still Armour's junior, and nothing would change that for a while.  "Things have been pretty neat and tidy.  We advanced a few ponies, with a new Sergeant First Class and new Colonel.  We just finish training our first batch of prospect guards, with approximately one-tenth of them willing to join the Lunar guard, and another one-twentieth wanting to join.  We've upgraded our systems, a new rotation system established just a few weeks ago, " he went on, explaining in great detail to his Captain the subject of the current Guard. 

As he spoke, he adjusted his seating on the couch.  Something hard came in contact with his bottom.  He continued talking, taking careful note that the Captain had no idea what he was about to do..., "And we have a new sector, as well.  We have dedicated it to the personal guards of the Princesses, with approximately fifty ponies participating in it,"  He reached under the seat of the couch, grasping the cold steel blade, "The idea has been endorsed by both Princesses.  Another system we have tried to implement is the Diversity Code.  We were hoping to encourage more Aerion to join the Royal Guards, "  He felt along the blade as he pulled it out...Made in Canterlot by one of the Castle blacksmiths; stainless steel; the handle is intricately designed, this blade more for the purposes of distraction than actual harm; the handle feels like mahogany wood, expensive.  He pulled the sword out in one fluid motion-settling it on the couch between him and the Captain. 

In a calm, steady voice, he asked, "Do you know the booking schedule for this meeting room?"

• 2 months later...

"Well, no I don't." Shining said puzzled. "What do I look like, some kind of secretary?" Shining said sternly and then chuckled. He was not interested or bothered by the setting of the room, however he was mildly surprised to see Agile pull a sword from out of the couch they were sitting on. Shining's interest was directed at his agenda, which was as plainly as he had explained it thus far. However, he understood the possibility for other topics of discussion to arouse during the moment of conversation.

"That's all good to hear. Um, listen, I understand by your posture that you're a bit confused as to the nature of this arrangement. And I'm not sure about the nature of the sword you pulled out but I know that my address here is different than usual. And it's very simple. I'm married now." Shining gave a slight chuckle as he sipped his drink. "Cadance and I have learned a lot about each other, and some of her personality inevitably infiltrates mine. It's not to worry though. I feel it is an improvement. The staleness of typical strict order among military personnel can be vexing. Don't you think?"

Shining had a moment of reflection, and he would use it to suspend his talk on the actual units of military that were being discussed. They were important, but they would get to them later, he thought. "Are you married? Thinking about getting married? Have you loved and lost? Tell be about how agile this Commander Speeds is." He smiled.

Applejack.pnglunabuttonsig_zpsc23a2b97.pngshiningbuttonsig_zps6d87c176.pngGranola_Gracie.pngArrow_Plain.pngMiracle.pngRemington.pngSugar_Rush-1.pngCoconut_Lime.png

• 2 weeks later...

He blinked.  He stared.  He gasped.  Whaa-wut?

This was not anything he had expected.  His Captain was so strange...his behavior so odd.  So lax.  He closed his eyes and took a deep breath, taking in Captain Armour's words.

"Marriage is something I don't like to think about.  Not on duty-at least.  It distracts the mind from it's job to protect and to serve Equestria.  If love was set before duty, my priorities would be mixed up," he paused, quite confused himself on the turn of topics, "I might strive first to save m'lady in case of danger, rather than the Princess I was sworn to serve.  I might save my love rather than my Princess, if I had to choose,"

He stood up and walked around the room, any setting of formalities or mannerism in front of his major gone, "I have a marefriend," He continued to go around the room, settling into a prance.  He wasn't sure how to go about this...but, if his Captain was curious, "Prune Rose.  That's her name.  She's the sweetest little journalist and s great gardener as well.  Sometimes, I don't know about our relationship-she's willing to sacrifice so much for me, but I can't say of my part.  Have you ever felt that?  That-fear?  And uncertainty as in what to do?,"

• 1 month later...

"Well of course," Shining bounced back.  "During prep-academy I fell in love with a Princess.  When things got serious, I wasn't sure how I could possibly make that work."  Shining grinned.  "Could you imagine what your life would be like married to somepony as important as a princess?"  Shining paused, maybe expecting an answer, but then continued.  "You are right about one thing.  It's a distraction.  During most kinds of military training, distractions must be put away, so that you can improve in your studies, improve in your discipline.  But when you get older, as I am starting to figure out, even though it gives marriage an exhausting reputation, the distraction is seen as a blessing."

Shining took a sip of his drink, and then sat in a more reclined position.  He was very relaxed.  "So this girl, Prim Rose, you said?  I know you said you're not thinking about marriage, but let's say you are.  If you are thinking about marriage, when might be the best time to elope?  Would you rush it?  Would you take your time?  What would you do?"

Applejack.pnglunabuttonsig_zpsc23a2b97.pngshiningbuttonsig_zps6d87c176.pngGranola_Gracie.pngArrow_Plain.pngMiracle.pngRemington.pngSugar_Rush-1.pngCoconut_Lime.png

• 2 weeks later...

He slowly began to relax himself, the warmth of the fire stoking his soul.  His tense muscles unwound, and he let his position slump.  Just a little.  His Captain's story on his loving tale with the Princess Cadenza brought a smile onto his muzzle, and he reconciled on how he met Prune.  It had been a hot, sunny day.  I was on duty, and she was here to poke some gossip outta me.  She tried every trick she could, until she decided to preen my feathers.  It might have been the most stupid idea, or the best-but it got me talking real fast~

He nodded as his Captain's confirmation of her name, and straightened himself back up from his slouched position.  No matter the circumstance, it was still best to give a good, firm, first impression.  The questions puzzled him, the fire now seeming hot to his coat while he sweated out an answer.  

"Marriage, sir?"  He was puzzled by the topic, but he didn't dare refuse to answer his Captain.

"Rose is a very...nice mare.  I wouldn't rush things...just...take it slow.  Yes...slowly.  We've been together for a few years now...and, yes-we've spoken of marriage.  She's still...dealing in the at-hock life of a journalist and social media expert...and I'm...I-..."  He paused.  His speech was slow, uncertain in their answers, "I'm not sure I'm ready to share the other side of my life with her," 

• 2 weeks later...

"Ah yes, it is a delicate thing.  That is smart of you to be careful about it.  Once you go down that hill, it's pretty hard to go back, and it's painful."  Shining Armor examined Agile as he talked cautiously about Prim.  Shining could see the recruit inside of him, and maybe sees the process that brought him to his current stature today.  He was fairly young, but he was no rookie.  "My life's purpose has been driven by the ones I love, to protect them for everything it takes.  And there was a time in which I felt that falling in love with someone was foolish.  How could a pony who is captain of the royal guard plan on getting married?"  Shining chuckled.  "That's like telling your father your want to quit university a month before you graduate so that you can explore the world.  It has its own goal, but at what cost?  But there was a moment where I realized, my purpose can't just be to protect the ones I love.  For what good is that if I have no one to love.  And Cadance was my special somepony, not just a mare that I fell in love with, but someone who completed me and my purpose."  Shining sipped his drink before lounging more relaxed on his cushion.  He realized completely how mushy what he just said was.  "So you haven't told Prim about your profession.  What would you say your profession is again?"  Shining asked, almost as if he did not do his homework, or keep tabs on what was said fifteen minutes ago.

• 1 month later...

He have a sigh as his Captain spoke, he could relate.  Protecting the ones he loved came at a pricey cost, and he knew someday, he would have to choose between his one true love and his one true Princess.  He understood how his Captain felt about Princess Cadance-there was a time too when he felt love was forlorn and foolish.  He had laughed at Prim Rose's flirtations, and bluntly denied any feelings felt for her.  His fellow Guards had suggested otherwise. 

Then, the Captain asked a question-a rather interesting question, actually.  It was by no means some deep, we-must-save-Equestria question; but it was intruiguing.  

On 4/12/2016 at 11:31 PM, riverhippo said:

What would you say your profession is again?"

His Captain, being his Captain, surely knew the answer.  But yet he asked it...For what reason?

"Chief Master Sergeant of the Wonderbolts," he stated.  It was like a fact to him, blabbing out his title for a few words' worth.  He froze, What if he didn't mean my title?  What if he meant my job?  

"I am a Royal Equestrian Guard, and I will protect Equestria under my heart and hoof, at all costs and situations," 

It was only after he had spoken did he realize he had automatically chosen to put his job before his love.

Archived