Official Discussion Thread - S05E20 Hearthbreakers

family_photos__the_cakes_by_astringe-d5k

Well it counts as a Pinkie Pie family photo!

It is only one week to Halloween, you know what that means... Time for the Friendship Is magic Christmas episode!  Yes, this week we return to the pony version of Christmas, Hearth Warming Eve! Not only that, this episode brings back fan favorite, Maud Pie, along with the rest of the Pie family! Better yet, they will be joined by the Apple Family, so we get an Applejack/Pinkie Pie episode, so best pony, yay!  So what will happen?  What is Pinkie's other sister like? Tune in to find out! The episode airs Saturday 11:30 AM EST on October 24th! :)<3

This thread is dedicated to discussing the episode before, during, and afterwards. As the thread is now open it may indeed contain spoilers. I ask that potential spoilers talked about or shown before the episode airs stay within the spoiler tags please, after the episode you no longer have to use the spoiler tags, but warning, if you haven't seen the episode yet after it airs, this thread no doubt will have all sorts of spoilers in reviews, images, etc. So tread at your own risk. :)

Every one of the Pies are extreme in their own way:

• Maud is extremely reserved
  • Limestone is extremely aggressive
  • Mable is extremely shy
  • Pinkie is extremely coocoocloudlander
  • Parents are extremely traditional

Also you can't avoid that MarbleMac shipping, I have my safety helmet and are prepared for the avalanche of art and fanfic regarding this.

What a lovely episode that was - really warm and enjoyable - And its always delightful to see Maud Pie again!

Absolute blast, loved it to pieces...one of the strongest normal eps in a long list of already amazing episodes for this season!

This episode rocked. Seriously delightful. A better Hearth's Warming episode than the first one.

Maud is best Pie. Love her so much. A great, great showing for her.

And the rest of the family was rather fun as well. Really cool to finally actually meet them after four seasons.

Applejack is a silly pony.

I enjoyed that episode a lot. Maud always amuses me and the other two Pie sisters were a treat to finally see on screen. Marble and Limestone. Not the names I would have expected but they are adorable; especially Marble.  :D

I liked seeing the Earth Pony families trying to get along and known more about each other. I laughed entirely too hard about the accent difference jokes.

Now Mac is going to be paired with all four pie siblings.

Marble is adorable, I want to rp with her :). Fearful pony meet gynophobic griffon.

Pinkie's family reminds me of the amnish. Also I want to know this Choosing/Pairing stone thing. Sounds like it be a funny rp tool.

AJ is a silly pony, but Big Mac is just hilarious. Come on Maccy boy, why are you on the TOP bunk?

Love it! 

• Pie Family traditions! It's fun to see more about the Pie family and how they aren't just a stuffy group. 
  • Limestone Pie - It's fun seeing an aggressive character to parallel Pinkie's sometimes passive behavior. 
  • Marble Pie - Aww! She's so cute! And judging from their interactions I can see an interesting friendship between Big Mac and Marble.
  • Maud Pie- Great seeing her personality come out in this episode as she teams with Apple Bloom. 
  • The Lore - I'm not one who likes stories that just throw in exposition to set up a story, but this one does it right to explain how the Pie family settled there. 
  • The Moral - I like the idea of how traditions vary and one should respect them before trying to force theirs upon another. It's great for kids watching, but even greater for adults! 

All around a fun look into the Pie family and paving the way to future bonds. 

This one was quite a cute episode.

I enjoyed seeing all of the Pie family in their entirety, with personalities to boot! :)

Pinkie's parents old fashioned way of speaking reminded me of Luna in Luna Eclipsed. Except without the shouting. :razz:

Limestone was kind of jerkish. It was understandable why she was so possessive with Houlder's Boulder (though I felt it was still too much) near the end of it... but... she was a little too jerkish. :roll:

Marble is definitely the Fluttershy of the family though!! So shy.  :razz:  Made me like her. :smirk:

Her and Big Mac and their "one words" That was quite funny.

To be perfectly honest... the conflict for this episode was a little expected. It had it's moments though. Mostly with Maud, Pinkie, or Marble and Big Mac.

It got a little disheartening near the end with the not-a-family-anymore Pie and Apple feud. :sad:

It was a good heartwarming episode though and I quite enjoyed seeing all of the Pie family.

:smirk:

Well, any episode that features the Pie family is sure to be fun, if only for Maud.

I thought this episode was very well done, over all. It was nice to see references to the possibility of the Pies and Apples being related again, as the basis for getting the two clans to celebrate the holidays together. The additional fleshing out of the characters of the Pie family members was also nice.

Highlights for me:

1. Having already seen the origins of the holiday for ponies, it was nice to see some of the details of the traditions that go with celebrating it, like the Hearthswarming Dolls and the raising of the Equestrian flag.

2. The Pie parents acting pretty much like Hutterites or Amish, like the fans thought they just might.

3. The writers shutting down all those fannish headcanons that suggested Pinkie was illegitimate, adopted, or the result of an affair by revealing that one of Pinkie's sisters is in fact her twin.

4. The incredibly deep, moving, and soul-baring conversation between Limestone Pie and Big Macintosh. (Those two definitely seem to be soul mates. I'm looking forward to the fanfics that come of this.)

5. Maud and Apple Bloom finding common ground in a way the rest of the Mane 6 couldn't.

6. Pinkie Pie being scolded. I will never get tired of hearing "Pinkamena Diane Pie!". (When they use your middle name, you know you're in trouble!)

My one real complaint about the episode was that it was, once again, Applejack trying too hard to please that was the result of a rather catastrophic disaster (even if she couldn't reasonably have known there was a fault line under the flag pole). We saw that in Apple Family Reunion. It would have been nice had there been some other way of resolving the conflict of traditions between the two families, but it doesn't much detract from the good that came of it.

I love the holiday episodes, from both season two and now, because I think they have done the best job of worldbuilding of all of them by showing pony society through its shared history and customs.

And as to this question:

What the blazes...? Why is the Christmas episode placed in the Halloween season?

Had this season started at the usual time, rather than be delayed for almost a year, this episode would have aired around last Christmas.

4. The incredibly deep, moving, and soul-baring conversation between Limestone Pie and Big Macintosh. (Those two definitely seem to be soul mates. I'm looking forward to the fanfics that come of this.)

I thiiiink you meant marble pie! ;3

Pinkie's family reminds me of the amnish.

Unless you are talking about people from the Sword Coast region of Amn I believe you meant Amish.  ;)  I must concur on that though. They were very much styled to seem Amish with their quaint rock pony ways. Very salt of the earth.  :razz:

I get the feeling that Limestone and Applejack have a lot more in common than people let on. Both are in charge of keeping things running smoothly on their family's farms, are stubborn, and care the world for their families. I would love to see more interactions between the two.

Archived