The Longlong Road(Lyi)

TheFinestSorcerer

Near 300 Miles by sea between Saarvagerd and Roam, perhaps one of the most beautiful port cities in the known world- at least he were a firm believer in that statement - prized for it's vast trade between Whitescar and Unyasi, and the center of commerce on the far eastern shorelines. He greatly appreciated it for it's vast spectrum of ancient art and appreciation of the pony physique; found dutifully in the use of stone/marble sculptures, fine wines that he gladly put a few coins toward(A few more than he probably should have) and architecture that had found it's place in the modern times even after the passage of several centuries and for some; a millennia.

Leaving Roam after only a few days to enjoy it's encompassing charisma had been a sad experience but not a wounding one; he had plenty of good years ahead of him, and still much of the world to explore and experience. Knowledge was the treasure he sought and it was his unyielding will to continue that journey which fed his abyss for curiosity. Through experience you attain knowledge. And together these form the building blocks of vast, invaluable wisdom... no pony could put a price on that. Though granted, most didn't expect nor want to. And furthermore it left this character with a long, empty road with nothing but his own confidence to carry him.

But such was the way of a mystified Nomadian. Though not somepony to live of the land entirely, he did not have much a home. The long, endless road was his sanctuary and his escape from the horrors of the modern world. He chose a less practical lifestyle simply because the latter was... Well it disinterested him. To anchor one's self was to prevent the full extrapolation of what there was to learn. Of course... this didn't make him an all-knowing vagabond. It did make a vagabond though.

His name was Umekile.

An odd name yes, one that certainly deserved him much of an unusual response from ponies who did not understand the concept of a '*******ly' name. By his description of course. The stallion did have a father and a loving one at that; certainly not easy but far from abusive. Stern, but Caring. Born to a family of earth ponies some 30-odd years ago to a farming community almost entirely made up of earthborn and some pegasi coupled with the lack of interaction with unicorns had left dear old mother and father to simply undergo an old tradition; A shamble of letters that could form an interesting name and left to the mercy of what might become of their son.

Who would have guessed a unicorn born to toilers of the land would eventually grow into an aspiring young wizard? That were a fable clean out of a book written likely by Starswirl - a joke - a trivial matter - something hardly worth a rumor to the mainland but a fascinating tale to tell the common passerby hungry for a campfire story. A task he took much pride in himself when the rare opportunity presented itself; to tell a story. Left alone to his devices he would meagerly and quietly enjoy the silence of the night, perforated with a beautiful array of nightly clouds bearing the halo of starlight and radiated glow of the white moon... sat by a crackling fire with but a purchased can of beans and bottle of soda-pop(A treat he had not indulged himself upon since the last season he had spent in the more modern settlements). Traders and Merchants didn't often sell such prestigious items and preferred to sell in bulk or raw material.

So one could imagine that while a bottle of orange soda should have been just that - a snack - it was in fact to him as valuable as a potion. At least in the thrill of tasting a rather delectable and unusual beverage. Ale, Water, Mead, Coffee, a strange, sketchy drink called "Brawjack" and some kind of tundra-temperate FRUIT were the only liquid taste he had come to furnish from the land of Whitescar. This. Was a Delight!

With nightfall speedily setting in and the last hours of daylight faded to ensure that the Great Celestial Princess had finished her duties and relinquished the throne to a unexpected returner. He had long since disregarded that Princess Luna would ever come again to wear a crown and reclaim her stagnant royalty... Not that he'd doubted the tale of Nightmare Moon... and even somewhat believed her return would have been inglorious and wrathful. But to see the moon rise knowing now that the true Nightfall Goddess had come again was a touching fact that for the last few years had left his heart whittled and with sensations of butterflies. The Constellations had never ceased to amaze him when there was nothing to pollute them from the sky... but not until the return of Luna did they appear this unrivaled. Enough said.

A fire struck and the roadside calm, quiet, without another soul to disturb him; The tall, unusually lanky stallion was free to rest his astonishingly proficient limbs, tucking his legs under his chest. His deep brown cloak, riddled and trimmed with odd, golden sigils draped across his body; blanketing him from the chilling nighttime. And a tall, slender neck accompanied by a downy, greasy black mane upon a brown-olive body seemed to ease into much deserved relaxation. Landing on his stomach with a scratchy, lazy sigh while his horn - much like his eyes - glowed a beautiful yet faint sapphire. Levitating a wide wide sunhat from his head... abused but trademarked to his heart over the many years it had done him service.

It made him easily identifiable.. not many ponies wore much like it. Simple in design but somewhat intimidatingly large.. casting a dark shade over the face and adding to his already impressive height. Height was correct. Rivaling the wonderful Princess Cadenza and perhaps even surpassing her... if not for his apparent lack of bulk. He were an odd fellow without that hat... His chin furs grown out only to curl back and hang down several inches... his ears were the same; the fur long and twining. His fetlocks were crossed but clearly had much excess growth and detail.

In need of a grooming? Or perhaps he liked it that way.

The fire crackled loudly, linked to the tender glow of his horn as he cooked it until he was certain the wood laid atop would begin to burn naturally. But without much attendance It was a wonderful night.

Perhaps not a night to be alone, but a night to enjoy the audial sounds of the nocturnal world. A dark world. But a dark world he could live with. A satisfied smile across his muzzle marked his deeply seated content.

One Fire on the Roadside. The Longlong Roadside.

Steampunk Metal, the billionaire owner of Easy Streets Market, was taking a trip.  A long road trip.  Until her scooter had broken down.  And then the road trip had turned extra long.  This had been a one-time charity event, with camerapony operators following her on her voyage...and offering no help when her scooter broke down.  It was apparently a way to show that she "truly experiences their hardships".  Her brown mane and tail were sweaty and gross with mud and dirt, and she had long given up trying to fix her transportation device.  She had settled on walking between the two cities of the event-grumbling and complaining in her head the entire time.  The night was getting dark, and the cameraponies had long gone home.  They trusted that she would be safe-considering she was an Earth Pony waking. 

She was tired and hungry, her day long worn thin.  She had really hoped to get to the city before the end of tomorrow-and she could already see it would be a long, long day.  The roadside was empty and cold, and the camping materials she had brought were heavy on her shoulders.  She set them down, the warm dirt already beginning to cool under Luna's dark moon.  The stars were out tonight, and it truly was a beautiful sight.  "Oh-sometimes-I wonder if I would have been an astrophysicist if I hadn't taken the path of business." 

Seems the great north star would not be the only extreme level of polarity lingering so close as two, entirely different worlds collide. Of course by the looks of her now there wasn't much eluding to whom she actually was. Though frankly would anypony recognize the rich if they were dirtied and beaten by the elements? Most commoners would likely say yes out of pride but be sorely mistaken. But a stranger could fool most first impressions if they chose to hide true identities. The abuse of an actual, lengthy journey wasn't made for some ponies. It took a nice, hardened fellow to enjoy the long haul and pay little mind to even the most major of discrepancies until it were perfectly suitable to tend damages.

The wind was present but calm, not howling like a bloody timberwolf but certainly whistling through the trees and tall grasses that tempered the long track of land between Hoofington and Manehattan. About 120-some-odd miles wasn't easy for a lone wanderer. No matter how genetically born you are.

But still, atop the wind there was three unusual sensations that rocked into perception; sight, smell and sound. From where? Up the road was a soft, orange glow, just a bit off the beaten path where a gap in the trees lay. A fire. There was a very eerie, somewhat out of tune shamble accompanying the wind; like a bad instrument being played Or rather being LEARNED to play. Actually.. was that a harmonica? Well whomever was playing it certainly was no master of the trade; like they were just touching the notes to get a hoof for them.

"Hmm.. Such a simple, confounded instrument..", a distant voice filtered with some irritation seemed rather bewildered, the sound cutting loose.

Now that smell permeating may not have initially registered with wealthy folk, but when hunger sets in it was certainly an illustrious one! The scent of cooking stringbeans over a hot, crackling fire had drifted down the road and into the trees. Luring some animals likely.. but none eager enough to just run up and steal it. (Though the writer is quite positive a few bunny rabbits have received wooden spoons-to-heads in response of attempted thievery!) The source of said smell to a hungry mare was only another.. oh say hundred yards up the road?

There is was. The smell. FOO~D. And oh she wanted it. So, so badly. The smell of beans and warm, watery good salivated her mouth, and her dry throat reached in joyous cry. It could have been fois gras, it could have been her mother's homemade meat pie, it could have been oatmeal bars. It was food. The scent of deliciousness enhanced her perception, and she found the spice of her temptress to be a small clearing from the street-around a hundred miles. It could have been tens miles, or even one for that matter: it was food, and she didn't care how far away it was. She relished in the comfort it was there.

She got up from her layback position, her hooves sore and beginning to cramp. The stars above her seemed to give her some strength and light. It was a highly unrealistic situation that she was in, and she knew it-she was starting to think that maybe, just maybe the crew set to look after her were hired to sabotage her. Her saddlebag felt heavy, despite it being filled with only a map, a few dried trail mixes, and some bottles of water. Nothing much.

She stretched out her left foreleg, and began the journey to food.

She had gotten around ten miles when she started to tire. Her muscles were slashing in pain and cramps dotted her hooves. Her coat was sweaty and dirty, but the gross feeling of it disgusted her. Her iron horseshoes clamped into her hooves and bit into her raw skin. Her tight jumpsuit hi there'd her breathing and ached her ribs. Her back felt light a thousand pounds of heavy metal were strapped onto it. She groaned, and her voice felt scratchy and tight.

She sat down, then got up. She stopped every ten miles or so, until she nearly reached the campsite. She took a deep breath-a mannerism gone, and sprinted at the sight of food.

There laid before a warm crackling fire a lone, rather calm and ... odd looking fellow in a wide hat and deep gray-brown cloak. His head dipped to blot out the light of the flames while he seemed to ease down for the night. Though still tending to that harmonica that so gently hovered in his sapphire aura. Such a darn, basic contraption would give an otherwise admirably skilled sorcerer a challenge vastly beyond his mortal comprehension! Con-Fang-Adilla!

He drops it off in his own saddlebags that sat lifeless beside him with a defeated sigh, "Tis'Quantum science I say.", he murmured, emphasizing the difficulty of becoming musically attune to even a simple instrument. A smile crosses his muzzle while he writhes in his joking self-defeat, "Hmhm..", his eyes shut and for a little while all is quiet... nice and peaceful as he dips a spoon into his can of crisped stringbeans and sliced carrot bits.

That is until the clammer caught his attention. He might have only gotten two bites in when he completely froze... A long stalk of greenbean hanging between his lips while those sapphire eyes glistened widely on the beaten, exhausted-looking mare that floundered on up. She looked rather; Not so much starved... though the look on her face defnately told him she was getting hunger cramps, ".... Eghem.", he rears his long neck up more straight. If he stood.. he would well exceed her own height so.. rather than perhaps frighten this poor looking runaway he merely offers a slow cock of the brow.

A look that greatly expressed his confused concern, "Excuse me...", he begins in a gentle, somewhat Deerish-esuqe(Irish) accent. Not soft but certainly not a deep, baritone kind of voice. Whimsical more like it, "Are you alright, Dear?... Hmhm.", an uneasy but confused smile pursing his furred muzzle. This character was a bizarre looking pony.

The can of beans and carrots floating just in front of him. The origin of that wonderful Aroma!

The beans...the can of food...the carrots.  She lunged.

Alright-so it wasn't her most mannered of ladylike moment.  Or even anywhere near that.  But still-great lengths are taken when hunger and food hovering in front is involved.  The can was knocked from the stallion, and she began stuffing the food into her hungry mouth.  It was then that she truly noticed the stallion, and the words he was saying to her.  She flinched, too busy chewing to clearly hear him.  The campsite was small, and she was embarrassed to see herself barging into it.  It was clearly quite secluded and private, the stallion alone.

She swallowed, and stood up.  She ran a hoof through her hand and rubbed on the patch of dirt dried on her foreleg.  She closed her eyes, and took a deep, long breath, "I'm really, really sorry-sir.  It was-I was-They said that-The map-" She stuttered, unable to find an explanation for her primal resolutions.

To make things absolutely clear as to why he did not seem utmost offended by what had just.. happened; Umekile remembered that it were actually much easier to acquire food on the road that in overseas countries and lands beyond. But still, watching this random mare come and steal his late-night dinner while nigh howling like a blood-starved beast was not how he imagined his return to his country of origin to go. He hadn't seen any poverty in Hoofington when he'd gone by at least none that did this to somepony. Were she truly that overdramatic?

He watched her scarf down what he'd spent perhaps a good 45minutes preparing over a nice hot flame with a gentle but still quite scrutinizing smile. He had every right to be a little annoyed but if she were truly that on the verge of starvation... he would live. And if not then what could he do? A lot of things... Would he? Buck no! Of course not. In fact he acted like most ponies might... just seem a tad perplexed or bewildered.

This was quickly replaced with a belittling nod, hearing her explanation and even rolling his hoof at her to continue along before he merely crossed his fetlocks over with a very tender, chuckling sigh, "I see you forgot your weapon to hold me up for all my coin too, Darling~", his taunt was subjective to her actions being near as desperate as a starving bandit.

She felt like crying-both because of her horrible manners and embarrassment.  "I'm sorry sir," She explained,"You see-I'm Steampunk Metal, the billionaire owner of Easy Streets Market.  I love my buinsess very much, but I enjoy supporting less-fortunate ponies even more.  I started a charity for the Mothers of Equestria Fund, and got a bunch of ponies involved.  For every one hundred meters I walked, two hundred bits would be donated to the fund.  I believe my cameraoperaters were bribed by a competitor company, and I was stranded with my meager supplies and an incorrect map.  I wandered around for a bit, until I grew tired and decided to rest.  I was very hungry, and encountered the delicious smell of your food.  And-you know.  What happened," she gestured to the spilled can of food.

She smiled at his joke,"Aww...don't push your luck: I have my wonderful Earth Pony strength.  I don't need any weapons,"  A small chuckle escaped from her muzzle.  "What are you doing here?"

She were telling him that she had gotten lost taking the main road. Perhaps she were tasked with taking less common passes to get to wherever she were going, but for the most part. An incorrect map shouldn't have parlayed an experienced traveler. Not only did she sound inexperienced, but she verbalized that she were in fact.. a 'Billionare" A titular number he'd never really heard used upon one's self before. So far be it from him to BELIEVE her. Though he could believe she were wealthy.

But more importantly; He'd not lived in Equestria for upwards of a decade or so. Thus when she stated her name he merely began to laugh ever so playfully so as to emphasize his lack of Equestrian current news, "Aha~ Who?", he tilts his head, looming it toward her somewhat and emphasizing the movement of his lips in-turn. She had no idea whom she were in-dealing with. This stallion was.. aloof - best used to describe him - A wandering folk.

"Forgive me, I just journeyed inland from Roam. I've not settled in Equestria for... roughly Ten years now, dear.", the mere mention of 200 bits per 100 meters was insurmountable. The sheer level of wealth compared to poverty in his homeland had always been substantial. But Umekile had spent so long overseas, venturing to less Harmonious lands in search of anything BUT wealth. It were mostly poverty, struggling to get by and THEN the few rich. A small fraction were well-off. "That's quite a substantial sum of money. Mn.. Can't say I've ever seen the Privileged take such a task upon themselves. Well.. Take it upon themselves and end up ... quite so rabid.", he teased rather calmly, slowly folding his wrists over.

The stranger closes his eyes and nods rather tenderly; HERE? "Why I'm camping for the night. Ahhh~ but come Morning I will be pressing on to Manehattan. Only another say... Mmn-", he glances aside, doing some rough math, "80 or so miles. I am going to Ponyville - I'd mailed a Letter to Princess Twilight Sparkle in hopes she could host me for but a few hours."

She stared at the stallion in wonder, How could any pony not know who she was? She was on the main billboards, the highlights, her name in the shining lights! She sighed as he explained his confusion, and she nodded to his words. "If not Equestrian, then where? Perhaps the lands of Griffons? Or the Aquestrians? Though-I couldn't see how you might survive underwater,"

He continued to explain, and his sight on the money was quite an interesting response, "It might be substantial to you, but it's a filly' penny to the bigs hot companies that support and sponsor this charity. Even to my company, it's a small amount,". He seemed conflicted to her blatant show of money, her lavish yet simple way of saying 'a few hundred bits'. Perhaps he had been one of the less-fortunate ones...who knows?

"The Princess, eh?" She closed her eyes and looked to the sky, "She doesn't like formal titles, dislikes spoiled brats, hates things that intimidate her, and probably hates big companies like mine. She's a real looker, though. I can't tell you how many stallions all over look at her with love in their eyes. She hates all things 'Royal and regal', but was ther personal student of Princess Celestial. Quite confusing-that one,"

She looked at him straight in the eye, "But, why-though? Why? Why the Princess? Why but for a few hours? Anypony would die to spend time with her, and you would request a few hours...I do hope she agrees, she's a very interesting pony,"

Perhaps he'd seen her face and simply didn't recognize her? Then again.. when he'd passed through Hoofington he hadn't really gone through the most high density areas. Rather, he'd kind of rounded it so not to get mingled in the high-octane bustle of citylife. Though Hoofington weren't Manehatten. While not much of a contrarian he certainly didn't want her thinking he were born in some far off, untamed land, "Oh, no no.. Hmhm. Hardly.", he begins, gently waving it down with his hoof, "I were born in the Equestrian Southlands.. though I'm doubtful you've ever heard of Hefferlin. Small farming community; ironically it is mostly Earthborn ponies but... My mother and father in no way expected.. well. Me.", a unicorn. He couldn't help but laugh somewhat shyly at her comment, "I've never carried more than a few hundred on my pony at one time.. And it has usually gone to the acquisition of something important to my work.."

Then does a very subtle bow of his head, levitating his hat to his chest to make it a rather formal but strangely outdated impression, "I am Umekile. Aspiring scholar, archeologist and Sorcerer.. Born of Equestrian soil but travelor of the Far-off Lands and attainer of knowledge.", he spoke so soft and maybe a little slowly; as though he were telling a story. However a smile crosses his muzzle, "It is a pleasure to make the aqquaintence, Miss Metal.", he settles his hat down beside him yet again.

It was then that Steampunk went on quite a tangent about Princess Twilight Sparkle; her likes and dislikes. It seemed that Steampunk knew quite a bit about her, "Well I've been quite a long ways from home for.. quite a long time. I have quite a bit to catch up on this last decade or so; I figure it would be a treat to meet our newest royalty. And... I know I've quite a bit to say; I'm certain a few hours would be ample time. Would not want to waste. So much to do. And I've heard much has changed only so recently." For the most part he had no idea what to expect. Of course... he had a strong figure that she could be beautiful; most Alicorns were regal if not sustaining a shred of true beauty.

This wealthy young mare certain seemed a little full of herself, but that wasn't to his surprise. Most of the Haves were. But it did eat at him, "Miss Metal; I get the impression you've spoken with her personally?", now he seemed quite intrigued, looming his head forward some. Tall compared to even the average stallion.

She smiled as she listened to his story, nodding along the way,"I was born in Garden Gait, along with five brothers: Tide, Jonas, Titanium, Mathiis, and Ore. My father wasn't around for most of my childhood, and my mother struggled to feed our hungry mouths. Poverty was always a subject we tried to avoid, knowing we were never but a step away from it. Each brother slowly moved out, hoping for a new chance at a better life somewhere else. I've lost contact with Jonas and Tide, but I currently live with Mathius and his fiancé. I discovered my love for business at a young age, and learned the hard way around that family goes first. You see-the days that my mother truly needed my support, I buried myself at work and ignored her pleas. It has plagued me for ages, and it forever will. I live in Baltimare, and never forget those that began like me,"

She smiled proudly at her speech, brimming with pride. She gave a stern nod as he introduced himself, and she bowed in turn. He seemed like a polite and honest fellow, the hard-working kind. She turned towards him and saw the smile on his muzzle. She gave an uncomfortable smile in return.

As he droned on about how he wanted to catch up with current day Equestrian, she slowly tuned out. She recounted all the things Princess Twlight had done: turn Nightmare Moon back into Princess Luna, defeat the chaotic Discord, exile the beautiful Queen Chrysalis, defend Equestrian from the tyrant Tirek, and save the world from inevitable doom brought upon by Starlight Glimmer. She sighed...and smiled.

"I can't say that I know her personally, and it's not something I like to delve into. Let's just say I like to keep my eyes and ears open, and keep them everywhere,"

In actuality he could hardly relate to her on such a level. Well.. excluding the humble beginnings. The different between she and himself was just that; the Ending. Or rather the mid-section of their long stories. He was far more simple in that he himself were complex in his own being; she were a billionaire stretching out across the whole of the country. Something he only ever dreamed of but could only accomplish with... less favorable means. Such was not his way. He merely smiled... sympathetically, "I've not spoken to my mother and father in upwards of 15 years now. I'd imagine they are still working hard. I'll be certain to return to them this harvest season most likely- Would make it quite easy on them, I'd imagine. That will be a most awkward reunion for not just myself..."

But who was he to interrupt her, this mare clearly had a more booning of a lifestyle. He had never questioned the difference in that of a self-made business mare/stallion or a self-made Wizard/Sorcerer in how much work they had to put toward one another. Granted he who laid before her was odd... he was in fact quite powerful of his own right. That hat and cloak may have given him the appearance of a petty spellslinger.. But it were simply his choice of presentation.

Compared to an Element of Harmony-as so many had clarified Twilight Sparkle to him- nopony could hope to oust that kind of fame. Nor did he want to. Granted a friend was certainly a hard thing to create.. alas he often didn't get the chance to.. But he rather focused on self-merit rather than merit as a party. Not that Umekile had done everything on his own. Working as a team to accomplish a much greater task was paramount in dire situations and like anypony sensible, even he with all of his ability had openly wrought together the likes of many to thwart the darkness. Whitescar alone acted as a land brutally torn by civil stride. Though there were no means a way he could end the conflict of his own word he had performed many great feats of compassion and duty there.

Whether it be the hordes of Hobbish creatures pooling up from the depths and harassing the light of the living world or battling off a local Necromancer who'd interfered with ancient burial grounds unopposed for far too long. Crypts who's ancient death had condensed enough to physically forge a dark artifact to usurp the peace and calm; conjuring spirits to frighten or harm the living or even the corpses themselves. He preferably dealt with the blight that was Dark Magic.

Oh but he shouldn't tell somepony like her that; it was hardly a good idea. And usually; most did not believe him anyway, or simply didn't care. He could see the discomfort in her eyes and quickly surmounted how he could have upset her in a way. Or perhaps his presence alone was an abnormality- he DID look pretty weird all things considered.

"Well I must say: I greatly look forward to meeting her in Pony. Now..", he clears his throat, his mane swaying to the side as he glances at her map from afar; as his horn sparked and drew his own from the depths of his cluster of saddlebags, "Lets have a look-see.. With a REAL map.", he chuckled; unwinding this scroll-type piece he'd bought while passing a trader on the through the mountains West of Roam. A 4by4 map of the Foothills of Greater Equestria. He had 3 others stuffed into another back, tightly wound together. Folded over once then rolled tightly, "Gifting you an incorrect roadmap and then abandoning you to a nightfall trek on your own... In this country?... Why unless Timberwolves suddenly took a liking to the main roads, I see this as a somewhat lame attempt to oust somepony's competition.", seriously; if she did get lost then she would most certainly- well.... Perish.

But in Equestria one was never far from help, even in a desperate situation. At least.. not the kind of desperate situation he was more familiar with.

"I tell you.. I've come to appreciate how harmonious this country has become in such a way even the most villainous of commonponies are.. Aha~ Somewhat inept.", not to sound shrewd or anything, but he was used to venturing the country-sides of Whitescar and Unyasi... Civil War and In-fighting were ferociously common there; Whitescar especially so. This did exclude major villain such as the Changeling Queen.. Or King Sombra. But it seemed lesser antagonists were always so... Lame.

"But .. you are welcome to rest here by the flame; I assure you it will burn through the long dark.", he is quite the kind smiling type. Even if his face could lose it's color quickly when he weren't, "If that settles well with you, of course..", After all, it was none of his business whether she wished to stay or not, "Hmhm.. And assuming you will not eat my next meal."

Not spoken to them for years?  Years?  It angered her that, with all the chances he was able to spend with his family, he chose to allot his time to something, someone else.  It angered her that his parents were still alive and he wasn't caring about it.  It angered her that he would care so less of his family. 

"Beware-you will regret not spending as much time as possible with them.  They leave faster than you can arrive,"  Any cheery tone she had accomplished before was gone in a whiff, steely and cool vibes replacing it.  She sparked with warning and past experience, and pain-as well.  It hurt her to see him so careless.  His attitude was too calm and "meh" for her.  Everything in her life had been for a purpose, everything was serious and harsh.  She had worked her back off for her family, quit school to save a few bits.  Her brothers had left to find a new life, and she had stayed to the last possible minute.  Everyone in her family had calmly abandoned those that were lost, and she had to admit, there was no point in expending energy for those already gone.  Yet-she herself had defied that rule when her mother left.  She had wept and cried for days, she had spent so much of her day and energy weeping for something already gone.

As he made an offset comment about the Princess, she was once again surprised.  Most ponies would lead to their hooves at the mention of meeting royalty.  Yet, he had so simply dismissed the topic, moving on to something he seemed to have much more interest in-her false map.  She wasn't one to quickly come to assumptions, but it was easy for her to assume he was a carefree stallion.   He seemed to care seriously about few things, and she sighed inertly. 

"It was a strange game to play, especially how easily I could have found out and solved the problem if I had only bothered to double-check my supplies.  But, I also guess that's how they came to success-they knew I wouldn't bother to double-check because I trusted my staff to care for me as much as I cared for them.  I was vulnerable, in a way.  Easy to play," her voice was bitter, recalling the slight mistake that had cost her almost everything.  Her thoughts drew her away from reality, and she thought of her past few years:

Moving in to Baltimare;

Fitting into home away from home;

Seeing her brothers all grown up;

Building her business;

Seeing her business grow up all the same;

Helping other ponies that were once like her;

Feeling guilty for being rich amidst so many poor;

Understanding nothing in life that she pretended to;

Being...vulnerable;

Weak.

"I'll try not to eat your next meal-but no promises," her words were meant to be joking, but they came out serious and harsh.  She didn't feel comfortable around this stallion-he was too easygoing around everything.  It was one mistake that she made following her easygoing staff; and it was a mistake she was not willing to make again.

It seems she were grievously mistaken about something. His map dips, revealing those cool blue sapphires to have slightly changed direction. They were a little more integral than before... like he were suddenly formulating a response to her change in tone post-haste. But of course he hardly intended to call her out on it. It wasn't really much of his business what this mare thought of him as... Really most ponies managed to get the wrong idea vehemently and easy. He weren't a normal pony after all. But unless she bided for a little more of his attention on the subject; he would simply allow it to slide.

"Why yes, tis why I intend to return home this coming harvest.", he merely restated as if to pacify her, when it only seemed to make her sound more cruel and displeased. What was her issue? His brow lifts, staring down on her with a less aggressive mannerism and rather simply hearing her story as to how SHE had ended up in such a dire situation; starving and at HIS hospitality. And yet it felt like she began to judge him.

Well the excessively wealthy were never perfect; he had plenty of experience with that. Thus like Steampunk Metal, she picked up a very raspy sigh from this stallion, who simply lowered his eyes back to his map, "You seemed to have overpacked for such a simply journey.", he begins, "Hoofington to Manehattan may be somewhat of a hundred or so miles.. but it is mostly flat, open road with few hazards - Minus weather.", he gestures to his own saddlebags, upwards of a 4th of what the mare were sluggishly carrying upon her back, "I replenish what is most needed at any checkpoint I manage to come across... Hmhm. A few days rations, water and supplies.", his lankish hoof rests over his baggage. It was now that his horn began to glow; opening them and fishing out a new can of stringbeans.

Her words had become so much harsher in such a short amount of time.

Enough to rouse his curiosity, ".... I am sorry for asking so bluntly, dear.", he begins, cracking open the can and nestling it in a small, wire net over the fire, "Or perhaps it would be blunt .. if you were not being so fierce with your change of tone.", he muses. While he wanted to be friendly and merely hospitable, she had become so fickle and coy that it were all to OBVIOUS that he had said something to stoke this subtle wrath, "I feel as though I have done something to offend you.. Which would be understandable had I'd said anything that were any of your business..", his head turns, his eyes now locking on her with a heavy extense of scrutiny. He were merely feeling the atmosphere about her change entirely.

It wasn't as though he did not sympathize with her.. It was Miss Metal who had become passive aggressive. And that worried him.. such that his expression softened; best to not be overzealous about it, "Have I?"

For decades he had chosen to forsake a commercialized and utopian world for one of learning, danger and experience. This was his way, not her own. Such that when faced with commonpony problems like she.. he merely reacted differently. In fact some cultures in Unyasi and Maretopia were particularly Heavy-set on a relaxed, care-free nature until a dire situation arises- one that could in fact threaten their way of life. Suppose it was a difference of perspective really.

• 2 weeks later...

((Sorry for the late reply.  I put some extra feels into this one to make up for it.))

She turned to him, and her jaw was set.  It was the face of a mare that had seen much beyond her appearance.  There were no tear in her eyes, no slumping posture or sniffles-yet...it was clear she was devastated.  Something had ticked in her, something that had lead to her demise.

"The Canterlites, the Manehattanites, and Baltimites, all the Elite and top-of-the-class.  The bullies and the competitors, all those that would do anything for the top.  The trials and errors, the ones that make friends as easily as they drop them.  The demons and the monsters, the regret and the guilt.  All of the demons, "  

She paused here, and anger boiled in her eyes,

"Every single on of them.  All they've ever wanted to do was to dethrone me, penetrate me, hurt me.  I have stood tall, threw their remarks as cream pies into their tinfoil faces.  I have turned to stone, an emotionless, hard statue of metal.  Like me.  Steam Metal.  I have hidden my feelings and covered the bruises.  I have trapped my demons into my brain and let nopony reach them.  They have tried; and they have failed.  They have tried to pull me apart my string, to make themselves reign.  They were jealous, envious, their demons lounging in their actions.  All this time, I have kept up a face to the crowd, fighting back against each comment and staying grounded.  They have tried to tear me down; but they have failed,"

She turned to him, and her anger bubbled.  Then-it stopped.  No tears spun out, no words were spoken, but something as horrible as the realization of him breaking her barrier had pounded against the air.

"But you have not,"

She couldn't continue, she couldn't press herself any further.  She couldn't talk about her demons and the regret and the guilt and the pain and the sorrow and the anger and the sadness and the pity and the remorse and the guilt...the guilt and regret...the devastation that she felt and the depression and the urges to start anew.  She couldn't tell him-because, if one of her demons fled from her well-knit trap, then they would all fly out.  

She was Steam Metal, and she was a metal statue.

Now he was beginning to understand her plight. It were a matter of extreme self-ridicule. At least this is what he felt she were eluding to, given her sorrowful choice of words, and fierce dissent between she and her 'fellow' Haves. Of course what concerned him the most was how simple a foil to her otherwise... seemingly impenetrable walls was somepony who were in fact quite similar to her... at some point or other. Did she see him as being that dangerous to her self-esteem that the wrong choice of words could in fact for her to disassemble everything she'd worked so hard to forge in a mental palisade.

Her strengths had in fact become her greatest weakness.

But she seemed to believe that he did not comprehend what she was trying to sell. A kind look washed into his eyes... the last thing he wanted was to force her to break down, though he did take personal note of it, "Hmmm...", that long, drawn out breath was synonymous to considerate contemplation... a smile persists on his muzzle for a brief segment. Not one meant to tease... but one of brief, satisfactory amusement in that the very least she had admitted him to being a blight to her otherwise powerful barrier, "I am unsure as to whether or not I should be flattered... or concerned.", but that smiles fades as his tender joke recedes shortly then after.

"It must be strange. Meeting somepony who has such a bleak similarity to your past. Is that what I am? Just a mirror?....", in the face of her bubbling rage he merely crosses his hooves. In the last decade of his life it had felt comparable to five decades had you counted the grievously long, stressful nights of meditation and conflict he had endured. Their struggles may show a vastly different portrayal but the wisdom gained wasn't any bit divergent. She were strong... he did not want her to change that. But he would offer his two-bits, "We are not quite the same, you and I. That much is clear... I chose a different path than your own. A stone is only as beautiful as the eye of the beholder deems it."

"You are ridged... broken from the mountain and freed. A cascade of rock and ore... Hardened... but unstable.", his ears dip back, "My mistakes are my own. And I do intend to amend them... that much I can assure you. But your animosity is not misguided... your concern is touching. I do not need powerful magic to sense that.", his eyes are a little warmer now... laying upon her with an irrefutable sympathy. She could not break him of his will to carry on. Not here... But that did not mean her words couldn't touch him. For they had been touching; even if they were cold on the soul.

"We have all faced our demons. I have faced them countless times... on several occasions quite literally-", he awkwardly shifts his shoulders, glancing away. But when he draws back... again with a very deep smile, "Tell me, Steam Metal... What about me infuriates you?" that question didn't sound mean or adverse; more like curious.. and therapeutic, "We've a long night ahead of us..", his horn drawing back that can she'd taken from him when she'd rabidly bounded up and devoured his dinner... some beans and carrots still left at the bottom. With the fork still dug in he merely offered it back to her while his tendril-esque magic continued to orchestrate making a new, wonderful-smelling meal for himself...

By Celestia he were getting hungry. And she hadn't even finished the stuff at the bottom.

She looked at him as he spoke his words.  Her eyes were downcast and sad, but also carried a hint of bravery and magic.  Power.  And she wasn't willing to give it up.  She faced him in the eye and gave a dead stare, "What about you infuriates me?"  She gave a slow, sad chuckle.  Her eyes wandered off into the wayward streets...the long, long road.  Huh.  No pony had ever faced her like that before.  To simply confront her about herself and her feelings.  Each one had used a different method, whether by flirting, love, anger, competition-yet none had ever broken her shell as easily as he did.  It was a strange thing that she felt about him.  Not like some of the ponies like her still-friends beloved ex-coltfriend.  Not like that ridiculous out-competed fellow chain market store brand owner.  Not like that reporter that had become great friends with her, then used her to his advantage and left her after his article on her had been published.  Not like the gossip ponies or the Elite.  He hadn't worked particularly hard to break her down, he had just slid his hoof through, rather than try to crack it and make the wall fall.

His words her all deeply thought out, carefully placed to avoid any awkwardness.  Yet, she could see in his face and muzzle that he understood.  He understood what it felt...and it scared her.

"You remind me of myself.  A younger version of myself."

Umek had to be honest; he wasn't a psychiatrist. But he'd made enough enemies and friends in his lifetime through either the most standard or most bizarre of means; or made the most grievous of mistakes and petty insults that he just kind of... learned better. And through these little happenstances it had molded him into what appeared to be an easy-going, manipulateable fool who just hippied and sullied his way through problems. When in fact it had actually hardened him more than he allowed to show.

They just had different ways of expressing how thick their armor was. She preferred to showcase how stone covered in steel while Umekile liked to cover his in fur.

In the end they were still hard as rock. But only in one another's presence could they hoped to have been cracked. It just so happens that Steam Metal were the pony to crack her armor tonight. And while he did feel bad to have put her in such an uncomfortable situation.. it was kind of nice to know not EVERYPONY in Equestria was without some hardship. Betrayal and foul play were certainly victims he could sympathize with.

"Guilt can breed Resentment~ But I trust that isn't what either of us want... You just hate to be reminded of your past follies, ah? Believe me. I've made quite a few mistakes in my time..", the young wizard nods, "If I could take them back? I would trade a limb for it..."

"I've made more than a few mistake...and I've paid the price.  Sometimes, I wonder what it would be like if I had set my priorities straight, to have cleared my path before the fire scourged through.  Sometimes, I wonder if I could go back and change things...to take them back," She looked at him, and her eyes were glossy with tears...or a lack of them.  

Her voice was soft, but strict, "I wonder what it would have been like...if I had strived just a little harder to keep the family together," She turned away, and a small tear trickled down her muzzle.  She was surprised.  It had been a long time since she had cried, and the tear felt cool down the heat and anger burrowed inside herself.  It was then that she remembered the way he looked at the can she still held.  His hunger.

"Here-I'm not all that hungry, anyways," offering the can back to him.

"Hmhm.. I insist. Besides.", he rolls his narrow shoulders to the can he had now roasting over the bright, crackling flame, "Mine will be ready soon enough. No sense in letting your meal waste.", the taller stallion does kindly lower the contained down in front of her with the fork still stuck into a few of the leftover carrots and beans, "It's healthier if you'd finish it. No sense in getting hungry the least bit earlier into the night, Am I wrong?"

It was... strange then to see this mare cry. Not that Umekile had never witness a pony break down into tears. The way this whole conversation had begun Steam Metal had crossed him as somepony who simple had no tears left to shed. Or at least was so stubborn beyond her years to show any. But he knew on the far side of her turned cheek that she had dripped. If only a little yet he could see it on her reddened face. The difference in the eyes between hate and sorrow were a very keen detail he could not mistake himself as the stallion had encountered far too many ponies and far too many situations to slip up so easily.

"It may seem well to look into the past... You learn from it. But that is all you should do. Learn from it. Do not dwell, dear Steam Metal...", now he were not smiling, just stating his personal 2-bit wisdom. But even two bits could venture a pony a long way, " 'could have' is a far more dangerous phrase that it appears to be. It can crush one's mind... Leaving them to rot amidst the pain that is only a phantom now~", he softly shakes his head, "... You are very strong. That is clear. But time is nopony's friend. You've played your symphony and now you must continue to harmonize.... It is up to you whether your melody is a sad one."

It is in that moment he extends his hoof, hovering it closely and hoping she would not lash out at him for trying to draw her full gaze on him. Her social status was nothing to him in the end, really. "Continue to polish that armor~ But never forget to cast your roses out to the ones who need them most." Some ponies just really liked metaphors.

• 2 weeks later...

She sniffed, and gave a smile.  

"This must all seem quite stupid to you~an unknown mare ranting out all her feelings and problems, when you probably have much more to worry about,"

She took the can of food back and ate the rest in silence, doting on his wise words of wisdom.  This kindly stallion was...much smarter than he gave for.

"What is your story?  What are your legends to tell?  I have spoke my heart's sorrow, and I can see you have offered much console as well.  Yet-you are not without similar pain, for it seems we share it's wrath.  So, speak...I will listen as you have done for me,"

She gave a watery smile, her few words differing against his many...but, sometimes, a few is enough.

His hooves gently lace one over the other, comfortably tucking them into his chest now that things had simmered down; it really relaxed him to see a mare smile whilst brewing such sweet tears. Honestly it made him kind of want to cry with her... of course it wouldn't have been at all fitting. At least he didn't wish to turn their pleasant evening into a sob-fest. His eyes gently fell upon her without grief and without remorse... but he'd tell her honestly, "My story? Oh it's.. Certainly complicated. Can't say it's as self-focused as your own but... that isn't neccasarily a bad thing.."

It is then that he reaches out; drawing in that bottle of soda-pop he'd intended to drink with his dinner. Luckily still unopened as he fondled it in his hooves, "Suppose most of my sorrows come from... letting them in. I left home knowing full well what I were doing, yes... I.. flunked out of academy and yet right around that time I'd realized: I wanted to become my own Wizard. Not. Certified by Canterlot's Academy.", he shook his head and sighed; horn glowing and suddenly popping the cap loose to let it roll off into the bushes.

Though many unicorn who came out of the advanced Magic courses often became registered and certified mages... Umekile did not seek a system based on standard feats. Hardly! He sought true challenge in the form of danger, experience and hardship, "Well.. that and I overworked myself between Academy and almost two who other jobs... Could not keep up with the paperwork I suppose. Heh... ehhhh...", his ears dip with a tad bit of shame.

Of course nopony could dapper him for long and especially not himself, "You wish to know my story? It's a decade in the making~"

((OOo...nice signature.  Sorry, short post.))

She gave a nod, "I'll hear it, if you're willing to tell it,"

It was as simple as that.  But that was all that needed to be said-a few words to continue the journey.  And so the story will never rest.

It was with that a warm, very tender smile rolls over his muzzle. It wasn't often anypony asked for his tale and surely it weren't often they asked for her own. Rubbing his hooves together however he did mean to ask, "... you will not be offended by.. Controversial topics?... I... May come to frighten you, my dear."

(That's K xD same!)

Archived