[Spellbound]Hearth's Warming Gala(Members & invite only)

IceStorm

PHIf92S.png

After two very precise sips of punch from his glass, Nocturne Wisp was feeling more like himself.

Though that might have been contributed by the fact that he wasn't floating upwards towards the ceiling.

Still, the darkly colored Unicorn was fairly certain that his improved mood centered on having corralled himself into a space where he could breathe for a moment, without well-wishers and genial ponies bothering him once and then having done. It was a bit amusing to think, really, that of all the ponies who might greet him at some point this evening, none of them would actually matter come evening end. Neither would he matter to them - just another faceless guild member to be vaguely aware of.

Not that Nocturne took any issue with that. It was simply a bemusing thought, the amount of fanfare and presentation ponies had put themselves through for this evening, that would ultimately, most likely, change absolutely nothing in their lives by the next day.

After all, the important bits were already kept close and carefully guarded.

From his position near the back of the shop, Nocturne could see Pocket Change and Moondancer exchanging gifts with the brown-colored stallion who was apparently their mutual friend. Change, especially, seemed rather ecstatic about whatever gift he had received, though it would undoubtedly pale next to Nocturne's own gift for the white stallion. Next to them was the cream colored Unicorn that had demonstrated some magics based on artistic special talents during the Open House, and a small cluster nearby showed Ingrid Mare chatting with faces that were unfamiliar to the dark stallion. And of course, Professor Hoofcourt was mingling with his family.

That was it, though. Aside from the three mares that he had just vacated himself from, the rest of the guild was a veritable stranger to him. He didn't recognize any other faces.

"Would you mind if I joined you?"

...Check that.

Nocturne wasn't quite quick enough to stop his eyebrows from raising upwards slightly, but he was quick tor rectify that mistake as he drew himself up from his already rigid posture, pale gaze narrowing on the hostess for the evening. How he hadn't put it together before, the darkly colored stallion would never know, and he could only attribute it to the quick and cursory inspection he'd given the mare when he'd first entered the shop.

But still. Ice-themed shop. Ice-colored Unicorn. The connection was so exceedingly obvious a foal could have figured it out.

Nocturne couldn't, for the life of him, remember her name, but this was undoubtedly the same mare who'd demonstrated her magic during the Open House, a speciality in - surprise of surprises, ice magic. His initial curiosity in studying the rigid element so unabashedly different from his own, however, was not what Nocturne remembered about her. Rather, her ostentatious lecture towards the doctor and defense of the Unicorn who'd bulldozed down half a wall and caused serious injury to one of the attendees was what Nocturne remembered. That the mare had apparently felt as if the doctor had had no right to be angry and speak harshly to the guilty Unicorn.

Who had, Nocturne remembered abruptly, hardly apologized for the entire incident, a vapid, uninterested look on her face the entire time she'd stared at the wreckage she'd created.

The memory of that debacle had helped shape his feelings on the entire Open House. Spellbound promoted itself on learning new magics and teaching others, and yet a senior member had so casually defended a Unicorn who obviously had little control over her magic - little enough to bring down walls without a second thought - instead of berating her, making her take responsibility, and thus, learning from the entire thing. That sort of approach to magical learning was irresponsible, lax, and coddling, and certainly not an environment Nocturne wanted to grow his magic in.

Oh yes. Nocturne remembered her.

"As you will," the darkly colored Unicorn said shortly, and promptly returned back to his thorough inspection of his punch. This mare - whatever her name was, something ice related, he was seventy perfect sure - was the hostess, and no doubt simply making her rounds to check up on all her guests. He could hardly deny her where she wished to stand - but if conversation was what she sought, the mare would quickly realize this corner was not the place to get it.

If he had known absolutely nothing about her, it would have almost been a shame. The white satin combined with twinkling gems - sapphires, perhaps - gave off a very elegant look, almost cohesive with the snow-themed design of the store. It was as if Snow Ice had planned it.

...No, that wasn’t it. Icicle? Snow Drift? What was it?

"Your name - " Nocturne demanded, and then checked himself, realizing how brutish that sounded instead of simply inquiring, " - that is, what...what is your name."

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ice Storm simply waited patiently for permission to join Nocturne. He seemed to have already been having a sub par night and she didn't want to potentially make it worse for him if that was the case by simply just walking over and trying to force some sort of conversation when he could have been wanting to just be alone. She gave a quick glance around the rest of the room to see what other candidates might be good for conversing should that prove to be the case here. She could him standing up a bit more, his posture becoming even more rigid as she approached and spoke to him. All the further expecting him to wish to remain alone, although he didn't say anything to her immediately. Perhaps he was trying to remember who she was? It wouldn't have been a stretch, the only time they had even seen each other had been at the open house, and even then they didn't really converse too much there. Too much other things going on that required a bit more attention than mingling.

Plus her opinion of the open house wasn't that great to begin with. She remembered the argument she ended up having with a doctor there. More importantly the doctors lack of bedside mannor, to go out of his way to address someone that caused the accident in question, rather than focusing on treating the stallion with what he proclaimed to be a very serious injury. Thins escalated, and somehow despite the doctor being the one that violated the order, she was fairly certain that he had still made her out to be a fool. After all, if he's that kind of doctor to begin with, then he's also the kind that views himself as always right regardless of the circumstances. Not that it mattered to her, but she really didn't want her name to be slighted by that doctor in the event that their paths cross again. Considering they were both members of the guild, that wasn't a stretch to consider.

That said she brushed the events of the past off. She wasn't sure if it would come up or not, and this was a Gala. It wasn't about bringing up old pasts, but rather generating better futures. Ones that held friendship and harmony together. Things that she found ultimately important in anypony's life. A pony couldn't really make it through in this world alone without ultimately being miserable in the end of things. She couldn't imagine simply not having anypony to talk to about anything. And then of course you have the super special ponies like Fire Heart. A mare that is... beyond all words of recognition in kindness and compassion. Ice was definitely lucky to have found her and couldn't have been happier with how events had unfolded for them.

Her thoughts were brought back though as Nocturne had given her permission to remain and she pulled up next to him before taking a seat. She noticed him giving her another once over, probably judging the article of clothing she had picked for tonight's event before asking for her name, a bit brutish at first, but then caught himself and asked in a more inquiring nature. "My name is Ice Storm," she replied with a small smile, not paying any attention to the tone of which he had asked prior to. She presumed that it was unintentional and thus required no address. "Are you enjoying yourself tonight? I've kinda noticed that so far it looked as if things may not have been to your liking," she inquired with genuine concern.

MRi8qt2m.jpg

Soon the stallion had left the conversation, stranding the mare with another oddly chipper pony. Bev honestly couldn't remember what made ponies so cheerful around this time of year, to each their own she supposed. She'd be fine so long as they didn't drag her along into something pointless like caroling or the like. 

"Good evening then." Said the mare taking another drink from her punch cup and looking back to the botanist.

"Hm I;m not sure what the chances are for that are but if they do sometime overlap you can write me." The mare levitated a card over the the potion maker and took a step forward before setting her cup down as it's contents were finally gone. "Very well, I'll except your offer. If the search proves fruitless, do not take it personally if I decide to take my leave."

Bramble Rose smiled to the two who had requested drinks - but he didn't start heading for the snack table.  Instead, his horn just started glowing its soft green.  For a moment he considered showing off and getting all the drinks and snacks at once, but given the distance to the table and the several complications, he quickly decided to play it safe as he listened to the conversation.

"Well, it doesn't sound much like a guild," he agreed.  "Guilds have specific economic goals - protection of a class of laborers, control over a single type of service, unique possession of a specific skill set, connecting those who need a skill with those who have the skill - that sort of thing.  This sounds like the opposite of a guild - some sort of not-for-profit enthusiast's gathering.  Unless there's some economic end-goal I'm missing?"  His voice suggested his eagerness for Ingrid Marie to share more of this end-goal that he was sure must be there for the guild.

With that, he had the drinks ready - just floating two drinks over, that he could manage - the hot chocolate floating in front of the younger Fire Heart, and the cold punch floating in front of Cheerilee.  And only once they both took their drinks, did Bramble start prepping his own - hot chocolate sure sounded good, actually.  With extra marshmallows.

But to his surprise, he was addressed by another in the crowd!  He stood up straighter as he recognized the older stallion, indeed, briefly tamping down the panicked sensation that he'd forgotten to do his homework.  "Professor!" he said.  "Um.  Nice to see you!  I haven't seen you in years!  How have you been?"

Cheerilee felt even more confused after this set of conflicting commentary on what Spellbound was - guild, club, or some third thing?  Perhaps it was some sort of unicorn thing - except Bramble disagreed.  Well... she'd call it 'guild', since Ingrid was in a place to know.

She took the punch from mid-air, taking it in one hoof and taking a sip.  "Thank you, Bramble," she said.  "I don't think you want me to call you Mister Rose?  Even if you are taking on that Canterlot accent.  You don't have to, you know, you can just speak like you normally do.  I never much liked that sort of hoity accent, even when I went to college here.  Back then, all the elite sororities would use that accent as just another sign of how exclusive they were, it would drive the rest of us crazy, besides I am rather proud of where I am from."  She gave a smile and a wink.

Then the other group came up to them, what was surprising about the family of unicorns is it appeared that they knew who she was.  More shocking was that the younger stallion, Mighty Magic claimed that she had a reputation, Cheerilee was not at all sure how to take that.  She had a reputation?  She liked what she did, but had no delusions about how notable she was.  She was a small-town school teacher.  It shocked her that anyone in Canterlot had any clue who she was!  "Well, thank you.  I'm sure, though, that if anypony has a reputation, it'd be my sister.  ...  "

She turned to the timid-seeming young filly, who looked as if she needed a friend, or at least somepony she could confide in.  "Are you enjoying the party?  Is this your first gala?  And where do you go to school?"

“In the Tempest,” The stallion asked in a confused tone. It took a few seconds for him to blink and shape his lips into an oh gesture. He had forgotten that the mare decided to take residence in the airship… rather than move in with him. Maybe… he should have mentioned something like that? Or… maybe she really wanted to sleep in the ship? Reguardless… as long as she had a roof over her head. “Uh yeah, I’ll remember to stop by and pick it up,” The stallion chimed.

He then turned his head to moony, and smiled. It seemed that she enjoyed her gift. Good! Because it took a better part of the year to composite and edit the dang thing, that it’d be insulting if she didn’t care for it! Well at least that adversity is in the past now! But… it seems she’s concerned about him passing off the research his family had.

He shook his head, the smile fading a bit. “Er… no… that’s a false concern. It’s a collection of most of my family’s research. However, there are many other items I did not include. The fractals tend to mark their research with small symbols that states if it’s open for public acquisition… or not. And that can be fantastic, or not so fanastic. The ones that have not been marked are free game. However…” The stallion then scratched the back of his head while looking away.

“I did also filter what I included. I am… a bit more cautious than I tend to let on. Some of the research the fractal family has done I felt being a bit beyond dangerous. Don’t get me wrong… there’s still plenty inside he book that is incredibly dangerous. It’s just knowledge is power.”

The stallion then flinched in surprise as a package floated by and bonked him in the noggin. He looked up, and noticed the name on the wrapper, then carefully took it into his own hooves. He stared at the handy work with a hint of envy in his eyes. It’s not that he wanted a horn… oh no… that’s always been a thing. No, it was that he knew other ponies can still wrap these things with their hooves.

“Oh! Well I am glad you enjoyed it! The waiting list isn’t very long if you’ve served in the REA at some point in your life. You are a peace officer of some sort. A professional explorer. Or... and I forgot what the rest was. So... I showed them my challenge coins,” The stallion dipped his hoof into his jacket, and pulled out a bronze challenge token. Stamped on the front was a Pheonix infront of an airship. Along the rim it held the phrase of the REA aeronavy.

PHIf92S.png

Was she genuinely concerned that a member of Spellbound was not enjoying themselves?

Nocturne could only guess. The blue Unicorn - Ice Storm, she had confirmed - seemed to be a sincere and genuine type of pony, the kind that wore their feelings on their hooves at all times. Her blowout during the Open House had basically proven it, after all, and the darkly colored Unicorn couldn't imagine a mare that had let her feelings be so clearly known could fake the sincerity he was hearing in her voice now.

At least he thought it was sincerity. It could have been indigestion, for all Nocturne was a master at discerning vocal tones.

If it was genuine however, Nocturne was at a lost. Perhaps there was some inner workings to the guild that he was simply unaware of, but based on everything he knew and had been told, Spellbound was Moondancer's guild, and Pocket Change's. Not this mare's. If anything, Moondancer and Change should have been the ones mingling with other members and making sure their needs were adequately met, as their reputations and good standing, as Spellbound's founders, hung on the line. Though, perhaps playing hostess had Ice Storm feeling responsible for the aforementioned task, as the gala would surely be held in connotation with her shop in the memories of everypony.

Or perhaps, his first thought had been correct, and all veteran members of Spellbound owned the guild equally, sitting 'round and drawing duties at random out of a hat.

Responsibility or no, artificial or sincere, Ice Storm was taking it upon herself to, apparently, notice how the gala was to the liking of everypony, and what could he possible do but answer?

"They're not," the darkly colored Unicorn said honestly, glowering down into his glass of punch as he absently shifted to stand a bit further away from the seated mare, "I've never been one for...galas, and the like." In fact, the idea of a gala, ball, or any similar congregation being at all to his liking was such a ludicrous idea that it almost had Nocturne smiling.

Hm...hm. Yes. A lecturer or seminar right in the middle of the shop could spruce up the evening quite nicely. That and a papaya stand.

As it was, making small talk with no purpose other than to create white noise had never been a favored pastime of his, and it wasn't about to start. Neither was dancing, ponies flopping about like particularly enthusiastic fish - although, a stately waltz could have flashes of beauty in its rigid and structured steps. Otherwise, Nocturne was quite happy excluding himself from such tomfoolery. Perhaps he could convince Change to do the same for this night

...Though he highly doubted it. If any dancing started up during the evening, he would bet his horn that his two friends would spend the rest of their time spilling hearts all over the flooring, Nocturne thought sourly.

2wmm3ux.jpg

A little part of Moony almost wished that Java had gone and put some of his family’s secrets inside the giant book, curiosity being the cat-killing menace that it was. But only a little part of Moony thought this, as her more sensible and compassionate side washed such heresy out of her mind. “That’s good to know,” the mare nodded; “I wouldn’t want you getting in trouble for spilling secrets on my account.” Done with skimming through Java’s gift for now, Moony closed the book, set it down by Pocket's new adventure gear, and shot an appreciative smile at the inventor; “Your book is awesome, Java! It’ll have a place of honor in Spellbound’s library for sure!”

When Presteza found a free moment, she asked Pocket and Moony about how they were doing. After Pocket spoke up, Moony followed in turn; “As for me, I’m almost done with my master’s program in aetherology. Been doing my usual Spellbound stuff too... getting my lil’ sis Moonprancer adjusted to undergrad life... You know; those sorts of things..... How about you and Java?”

Focusing her attention on Pressy, Moony failed to notice a ladybug-decorated box hovering in the air.

--------

14aittd.png

Ingrid Marie chuckled at Fire Heart’s enthusiasm for returning to the School of Gifted Unicorns; “If there’s one perk about teaching at the School; unlike parents, you’re actually happy when the kids you teach come back to the nest!” As somepony who didn’t enjoy conferring with parents, the magic counselor took great delight in making quips at their expense.

Bramble Rose came back with the drinks, and he proceeded to cast further doubt about what Spellbound really was. With the way he was speaking to her, Counselor Marie despaired over not having a wine glass right now. Bashfully smiling, the middle-aged mare shrugged her shoulders. “I’m not a full-time member if I’m honest; I serve in more of a uhhh... advisory capacity, to the more active ponies. Perhaps you’ll get a better answer from Miss Dancer over there.” Ingrid pointed to Moony and her gang, hoping that’ll be enough to end this awkward line of questioning.

The introduction of Prof. Hoofcourt and his family brought a welcome reprieve. Ingrid was very well-acquainted with the old stallion that she called a colleague, and she had met Mighty and Abra before once or twice. “Nice seeing you too Hoofcourt,” Miss Marie greeted back, before turning towards Abra. “Yes, well I hope you and your family have been doing well, mmkay.” Ingrid politely dodged the subject of Misty Magic; it wouldn’t have been proper to discuss their counseling sessions out in public, not to mention how Misty looked like she didn’t want any attention.

Professor Hoofcourt was certainly mixing and mingling well with the crowd, responding first to Ingrid Marie:

"Always nice to see you, Ingrid.  Perhaps sometime we can get together for tea on campus and discuss old times.  I would be fascinated to hear your insights on the art of teaching magic to youth!"

Then, hearing Bramble Rose addressing him with a question, the elderly caped unicorn stallion was delighted to answer:

"I am doing well, Bramble.  Though I must confess, I do miss the classroom.  After teaching magic for most of my life, it's been a challenge to adjust to retirement.  This is one of the reasons why I'm a part of Spellbound.  How are things going for you?"

Abracadabra, after her father-in-law spoke to Ingrid Marie, added her own remarks:

"I truly appreciate the extra time you spent with Misty.  Remember the times when I was a filly in your class at Celestia's School and you spent extra time to help me with many of my first spells?  I owe you a debt of gratitude, Professor!  I wouldn't be the mare I am today if it wasn't for you working with me."

Mighty Magic could tell by Cheerilee's words that she was uncomfortable with his compliments.  The tall unicorn stallion attempted to clarify his remarks towards the Earth mare.

"Forgive me, Miss Cheerilee, but I have heard many of your students both past and present telling me how you had a great influence on them.  Do not underestimate your value, ma'am.  As the son of an educator, I can truly appreciate the guiding hoof a great teacher brings to their students.  And my offer still stands, my wife and I would be thrilled to perform a free magic show for your students in Ponyville."

Misty Magic felt a bit more relaxed, relieved that Ingrid Marie didn't scold her for her recent magical 'mishaps' and kept the details of their counselling session confidential.  After her father answered Cheerilee, the Earth mare teacher began to strike up a conversation with her!  The petite unicorn mare was happy to answer her questions:

"Well Miss Cheerliee, I'm trying really hard to relax and enjoy myself here.  I must confess, I am rather nervous.  This is my first Gala, my first large social event since my school filly days.  I graduated from school several years ago, guess I'm a bit older than I look.  Currently, I work at the Post Office over in Trottingham, starting my third year there.  I once applied to Princess Celestia's School for Gifted Unicorns, but I didn't pass the entrance exam.  It was so embarrassing, I felt like crawling under a ro.." Misty quickly placed a hoof over her mouth and cut short her last sentence.  After a moment, she lowered her hoof and continued. "I meant to say, I felt really bad about missing out on the Royal school.  How are things going at your school?  I'll bet teaching has it's challenges, right?"

Misty Magic breathed a sigh of relief.  She almost let another 'figure of speech' leave her lips.  Visions of the purple maned unicorn mare becoming trapped beneath a magically created boulder flashed through her mind, causing her to smile and release a slight chuckle.  She'd have to stay alert and avoid triggering her unpredictable magic for the rest of the evening. 

A small frown appeared on Ice Storm's face when she had heard from Nocturne that he was not enjoying himself. Of course, she already mostly knew the answer to the question considering he had moved to try to avoid a few mares that had approached him earlier and seemed to had potentially ruffled him the wrong way. That would definitely be a quick way to sour ones entire evening, and the entire event with the changeling turning her mood so drastically couldn't have helped with the situation. She hadn't even made the formal opening announcements yet, and already something had gone wrong with the Gala. All she could do herself was try to limit what had already been done, and help everypony else enjoy the rest of the night. When Nocturne added though that he wasn't really one that did well at Galas to begin with. The statement was a double entendre for her. On one side, she could completely understand where he was coming from. Prior to hosting this Gala, she had only been to one Gala prior to. So everything that she was doing tonight was mostly improvised and from things that she had asked around and researched.

On the flip side, she couldn't help but wonder... if a pony knew that the event was suppsed to be a gala, which entailed mingling, dancing, and refreshments, then why would then attend a gala to begin with? To her, that just seemed like it would set themselves up for a bad night right off the start, and judging from how Nocturne had just gotten here, and there were already things that weren't to his liking, had pretty much confirmed that thought to her. However, she knew better than to voice such thoughts in this situation. "I understand. This is the first Gala I've ever tried to host, and I've only been to one prior to... so I apologize in advance if things aren't quite right. That said, is there anything that I can do to try to help make things a bit better?" she asked, her tone pure and genuine. She hoped that she could at least turn his night around somewhat, even if it was something small that just made him a bit happier, it was a step in the right direction. After all, it was her job to make sure everypony had a good time tonight.

Candles took a deep breath, and let go of the mare, "Okay.  You go and...have some fun.  After all, you came here for the gala-not to spend teh evening cooped up with a teary mare," She gave a small, hiccup-of-a chuckle at that, and ushered her companion off.  She sighed and walked away, turning her back until she had reached the back door and was outside.  She didn't dare turn back.  She didn't dare leave, either.  

After all that I've been through, I cannot be afraid of doing this.  Perhaps I'm not used to it.  Perhaps I'm scared.  But I will not be intimidated by my own paranoia. You know what-you've just got to power through this, Candles.  You've got to get back in there and face the crowd.  You've got to prove yourself wrong, give yourself a little self-worth.  Give a little love...She smiled and hurried back out to the front of the store, sparked and inspired by her pep talk.  But-something stopped her.  She knew she couldn't do it again.  She couldn't go into the Gala-again-without a disguise.  She wasn't used to being revealed into the general public, and she knew it wasn't something that could be forced through (like her wavering confidence).  She stared around, and heard the happy chatters and cheery talks amidst the crowd.  There was so much...love.  And, oh, she wanted it.  She wanted to be there amongst them.  She wanted to chat and talk.  She wanted the love.  She wanted a friend.  She wanted it so, so badly.  But she couldn't do it as Candles-and she knew that.

Orange flames wrapped around herself, and she was back into the disguise that felt more comfortable than her own skin.  Duchess le Chandelier, the infamous world-class fashion designer.  Blue mane, blue coat, blue-blue-blue.  Pegasus, confident, cool, optimistic.  And deaf.  She closed her eyes, and once again, stepped into the Gala.

She had assumed that the organizers would know her as the disguise of Candles.  Or-maybe they would recognize her as the famous designer?  She had assumed that they would recognize her.  She had assumed that they would be perfectly fine with her being there.  She had forgotten that the Guild knew her as Candles and Candles alone.  Not as the Duchess.  Oh dear...

66i6wp.jpg

The white stallion paused to admire Java's coin. "Oh right. My sister Docket has a few friends in the Royal Equestrian Army. She mentioned something about these special coins. Said it helps her get free drinks from time to time." While a magic booze-wish-coin would be nice, the unicorn knew he was not the military type. Although from what he had heard, most of the R.E.A's duties nowadays were to basically flail about until Princess Celestia or her champions came in to save the day. Still, their armor was kind of cool, even if it did a rather poor job at protecting what needed the most protection!

"So, go ahead and open it!", he grinned at the earth pony. While Pocket Change was hardly the best spell-caster, or possible even in the top hundred, he made sure to completely master the telekinesis spell since it was just so dang useful! From wrapping presents to making dinner, to really anything that needed to be moved, the stallion had it covered. "I wouldn't say I was anything that seriously.", he added with a shrug, "Still working on the whole archaeologist thing and I am sort of an adventurer, although I doubt the bards will be singing of my previous little treks."

While his friend worked on the near puzzle of an gift wrapping, the little horse turned his attention to his beloved Moondancer who was chatting with Presteza...And his gift was still...untouched. This should not be! He also was pretty sure she would get the whole ladybug bit. Considering he knew of the mare for many years. When she was a filly, the unicorn considered her a pain in the flank, 'know-it-all'. Just a little too smart for her own good. But as she got older, he noticed that she was turning into an cutie. But this only pushed him away further. Cute, smart and magically gifted? He was so out of her league. This only got worse into their teen years when he spied upon the mare who had been in the process of admiring a little ladybug. And from where he stood, the unicorn's opinion quickly changed. Yes, she was smart and pretty dang good with the magic, but holy smokes, she was a GODDESS. And somehow he ended up with her after they formed the guild with Nivial, Licorice Black, Heart Healer, Razor and the others. It was never intended to be super-serious, but he wanted it to at least be an valuable resource for those who wished to learn more or even help to teach others about their own magic.

And while he wanted to come up with a cute way for his very special somepony to notice his festive gift, there was something that had been bothering him.

"Well, it doesn't sound much like a guild," he agreed.  "Guilds have specific economic goals - protection of a class of laborers, control over a single type of service, unique possession of a specific skill set, connecting those who need a skill with those who have the skill - that sort of thing.  This sounds like the opposite of a guild - some sort of not-for-profit enthusiast's gathering.  Unless there's some economic end-goal I'm missing?"  His voice suggested his eagerness for Ingrid Marie to share more of this end-goal that he was sure must be there for the guild.

"Yes, a guild could mean those things, but also." A rather small book emerged from one of his pockets and quickly opened itself to the right page. The white unicorn cleared his throat, "Let's see. Guild: 'an organization of persons with related interests, goals, etc., especially one formed for mutual aid or protection. Please note.", he showed the pony the selective page, "And it's the first definition. The second is your  economic end-goal thingy. The last deals with nasty bugs." he returned the pocket-sized dictionary and added, "This whole thing of ours is still very new and we still need to work out more than a few kinks, but we are working on it. And maybe one day it might be something more.", he shrugged his shoulders. "It all depends on where its members wish it go that is."

"Well, it doesn't sound much like a guild," he agreed.  "Guilds have specific economic goals - protection of a class of laborers, control over a single type of service, unique possession of a specific skill set, connecting those who need a skill with those who have the skill - that sort of thing.  This sounds like the opposite of a guild - some sort of not-for-profit enthusiast's gathering.  Unless there's some economic end-goal I'm missing?"

"True, we're not a guild in the sense of trying to regulate a trade," Fire replied with a nod of thanks as she accepted the hot chocolate. "We are a group whose goal is to study magic and improve our own personal magic using each member's experiences and knowledge. I guess you can because this affects everypony's life it can impact on their own economic condition."

Fire Heart knew this first hoof as her marefriend certainly was benefiting from the guild and using her ice magic at her shop.

“If there’s one perk about teaching at the School; unlike parents, you’re actually happy when the kids you teach come back to the nest!”

The red unicorn chuckled at Ingrid's words as she could only imagine some of the parents speaking with her.

"Well, I hope my parents were one of the happy exceptions. They can be a little anxious about me at times."

She listened to Pocket Change explain the purpose of the Guild which was better than the way she described it. In reality she sometimes felt like an outsider to the guild's activities due to her time at school. Oh well, that was a temporary event. She then noticed the Changeling Candles was nowhere to be seen. Had she become so upset that she ran off? Fire hoped not as she hated to see ponies feel upset. But as she scanned the crowd in the gala she spotted somepony new appear in the doorway, a blue Pegasus. The young mare knew her from somewhere, but she didn't know how. Maybe she just saw her in the street one day. She motioned her over to join the group she was in saying, "Welcome to the Spellbound Gala! I'm Fire Heart. What's your name?"

PHIf92S.png

Yes, it was common for a hostess to apologize for "things that are not quite right." It was clear that Ice Storm was taking her role seriously, whether or not it was actually hers to take, alleviating some of Nocturne's doubts - until his brain back-tracked and caught up with him.

...Were, things not quite right?

The dark colored Unicorn couldn't help but shift where he stood a bit, an idle shuffling of the hooves that Nocturne despised in other ponies that felt the need to constantly do something - and yet here he was doing it himself, taken by surprise and not enjoying the feeling. The gala was...a gala, as far as Nocturne could tell, and despite the blue Unicorn's assurances of adding anything he might feel missing, he -

Well. He honestly couldn't say if anything was.

There was punch, food...some delicate looking chocolates. Most galas included some type of instrumental accompaniment to go with a dance floor, but neither held much significance or particular desire with Nocturne. Ponies were mingling and chatting, seemingly having a nice time of themselves, and the dark colored Unicorn could only assume his discontent with the entire thing stemmed not from a lack of one thing missing from the environment, but rather...well. The environment.

After all, galas were not his type of gathering - simple. But he had attended out of a sense of duty as a guild member, to show his good faith in the guild and its occupants. After all, who would divulge their magical secrets to a brooding pony that showed up only for the lectures and left immediately afterwards, never showing his face anywhere else? No, much better to make appearances at these functions, if only to give the impression of being interested in the guild as a whole and not solely for its educational value.

A soft shimmer of movement to his left, and Nocturne abruptly realized that he had let the silence spiral rather awkwardly, a solid ten seconds of nothing to fill the void. Which in itself was perfectly fine, but there had been a question. The dark colored Unicorn resolutely ignored the faint flush of embarrassment creeping along his snout at the broach of etiquette, mind casting wildly about to find something to complain about.

The mare had, after all, gone out of her way to cater to his whims, and the most annoying thing a scientist could receive was a lack of constructive criticism.

"Music," the dark colored stallion hastily settled on, pale gaze casting about the room to look at every pony sans the one sitting next to him. "There is no...ambiance," Nocturne extrapolated after a moment, glowering down into his glass of punch, "no atmosphere. A pause in conversation results in a very profound silence."

Again, something that didn't bother Nocturne much...but that didn't matter, did it? It was constructive criticism in any case. And more to the point, hopefully enough feedback for Ice Storm to leave and rectify said problem. Then, Nocturne would be free to resume what he had been doing before she'd wandered over.

Which had been...what was it. Pony watching? Punch glowering? One of those two, surely.

touchstonebanner_zps1493184d.jpg

"Okay.  You go and...have some fun.  After all, you came here for the gala-not to spend the evening cooped up with a teary mare,"

Touchstone nodded and wrapped her hoof gently around Candles' shoulder for a moment. She gave a small smile to the changling. "Ok, I'll see you soon. I hope you feel better." She said the words softly and with meaning behind them. If there was one thing the white unicorn was happy to do it was care about other ponies. 

Her heart beat a little faster as she walked towards the entrance of the gala. She was actually a little bit nervous, she didn't know the other ponies at this event all that well. She had run into a few of them from time to time and held small talk with a few of them but she wasn't friends with any of them...yet! Tonight she would be get to make a bunch of closer friends! It made her a little nervous to be walking into the gala all alone but she could do it!

It was lovely inside! Her light blue eyes sparkled in the glow of the ice chandelier. There were lots of ponies dressed up so nicely and everypony seemed to be having a good time mingling. "Hmmmm...who to say hello to first?" Her stomach rumbled.

"Well, I guess I'll say hello to the snacks first!" She giggled a little bit to herself as she walked towards the refreshment table. Delicate treats of all kinds were laid out, each looking as tasty as the next. She settled on a small eclair that was decorated with a big red strawberry. The confection levitated onto a napkin in front of her and she took a delicate nibble.

As she snacked she looked around. A blue pegasus had entered right before her and was just beginning a conversation with a red unicorn that she knew by name. Maybe she could sneak in on that conversation. She trotted up near the pair and smiled politely. As she went she noticed a dark colored unicorn she hadn't seen much of. Touchstone thought she might have seen him during a Guild lecture one time but he hadn't stayed around after. She glanced at him for a couple moments, not sure whether she had made eye contact, before moving towards Fireheart.

"Hi there!" She spoke to Fireheart and the blue pegasus. "Lovely gala isn't it?" 

The frosted blue unicorn sat and waited for Nocturne to respond to what so far had been not to his liking. She presumed that it probably had something to do with the ponies that had pestered him when he had first come into the gala. He did seem kind of annoyed when he had left their presence so it was only the logical thought that she could come to. She took a moment to survey the rest of the room while she was waiting for his response. It seemed that most had broken off into groups, although it looked looked the changeling at just outside looked like she was still having some doubts. if she came back into the gala, she would make it a point to speak with her and make sure everything was okay.

About this time was when Nocturne spoke up and mentioned that the lack of music and ambiance meant for an eerie silence during the pause of conversations. She smiled and gave him a gentle nod. "Of course. The band is actually still putting the that bit of their equipment together and should be out here momentarily. I could have just went with a phonograph record player, but I figured having a live band would generate more ambiance than a simple device would. Hopefully you enjoy a mix of classical and swing, as the band for tonight specializes in both. I figured a versatile band would be good for both slow dances and fast-paced dances that some ponies might like, even if I myself aren't good at either of them," she giggled and pointed over to a small stage they had set up over in the corner of the far wall which also looked like a block of ice. "They'll be right over there when they take stage," she added as the band members actually began to file out of the a small banquet room towards the stage. "That said, I will need to make a few announcements before they take the stage, so I must take a short leave. I hope that we will speak a bit more before the night is over with and that your Gala Experience improves," she said with a smile before gracefully strolling over to where the stage was before stepping up onto it.

"If I could have everypony's attention for just a brief moment! I have a few announcements before we officially get things started here tonight. First of All, I would like to welcome everypony to Spellbound's Hearth Warming Gala. For those of you whom are here who do not already know who I am, my name is Ice Storm, and I will be your hostess for this evening. Refreshments are on the table along the wall, which includes punch, Hors d'œuvres, and something a little bit stronger for those who ask about it. The music for tonight's gala will be provided by The Blazing Strings, whom are taking the stage now, and the dance floor is the entire open area of the shop. Organizes around the refreshments area are some tables and booths along the wall for ponies to rest their hooves if they would like. If anypony has any questions, have any issues arise, or just would like to chat, feel free to come to me and I will make time for whatever you need. Again, I thank everypony from coming out here tonight, and I hope that everypony here has an amazing Gala," she finished before noting that the band was seated behind her awaiting her cue. She gave a nod to the director before a slow classical melody began to fill the hall. She in turn stepped down from the stage and looked upon the groups that had formed trying to best decide which group to join first, keeping a second eye over to where Fire was. She made a note to take Fire to the dance floor as soon as she was available for doing so.

Bramble Rose smiled broadly to Cheerilee.  "Oh, no," he said warmly, "Please, just Bramble would be delightful, warms my heart.  And I apologize for my accent - I grew up around here, so when I come home, the accent just pops out. It's difficult for me to stop it.  The same with my father's side of the family - he's from the southwest, and I spent summers down that way, so whenever I hear a nice drawl, I just break right into it."

He then looked up as a white unicorn stallion suddenly broke in on their conversation with a correction on the meaning of 'guild'.  "Ah!" he said, a bit surprised at the random interruption.  "Well, it's a good day when you learn something new!"  He turned back to Ingrid Marie with a smile.  "I must apologize, it seems I was in error."  Then he turned back to the stranger.  "Thank you very much!  Please, my name is Bramble Rose, and this is ... Java?!"  He got briefly distracted when he saw the rather random stallion there with the white unicorn.  And a couple of lovely mares, as well.  "No, apologies.  This is Cheerilee, and Ingrid Marie, and my old teacher, Professor Hoofcourt.  And friends, this is my old frat brother, Java!  Java, it's been entirely too long!"

He hadn't wanted to leave the previous conversation just yet, but that was the way of parties - touching old friends for only a few moments, then onto the next, making sure no one was left out.

The stallion wasn’t entirely sure he heard a bit of disappointment in her voice when he mentioned that he had to filter some things out, or else. But… he did know one that was still around… even if he was a bit of an oddball. “Er… well if you’d like. I can also take you to go see one of the contributors from my family. However he’s……….” The stallion trailed off, his jaw shaking as he silently fumbled for his words.

“A bit of an old…old….old… odd ball,” he gave a brief nod as if that was a hint enough. “The sort no pony would really expect. He tends to be very open in discussion. Not so much to ponies unknown.”

He then turned to Pocket Change who insisted that he opened his now. And so he began work on it… his hooves having one heck of a hard time trying to actually hook at the perfectly wrapped gift. It was like a torture device designed to tease all unmagical ungulates with a mystery inside! Begging at their curiosity for eons until, SHHHHHHHHHHHHHRP.

Oh… he managed to rip a bit by clawing at it. Still… would have been easier if he wore his usual clothing. His hooves wore some special utility shoes that made activities so much easier. But… such is the way of dressing so dapper. You lose out on function.

Java looked  up once more to the small group with thought. “Well... the lab got a new client whom wanted to explore the depths of the ocean. He came up to an Aerospace Lab with such a ridiculous notion. I guess he thought we’d turn him down immediately, because he was surprised when the other heads and I were arguing about who gets to take the project.”

The pony then tapped his chin. “After a few minutes, we solved it. After coming to realize that none of us had done anything in a scope like that… we immediately jumped on ship together.”

The stallion now bit down onto the paper of his gift, and gave it a hard tug, tearing the wrapping right off to reveal…. A MONSTER MANUAL! BUT NOT JUST ANY MONSTER MANUAL! THE ONE AND ONLY O&O MONSTER MANUAL THAT HAD BEEN CANCLED FOR LEGAL REASONS!

Java… had done something that he’d never thought was even possible from himself for the first time in his light. Out of his jaws came a high pitched squeal of delight as his hooves frantically danced in front of the air. Half way trying to hold onto the book which fumbled in the air from his excitement, half way trying to find something to do withthemselves.

But eventually when he caught it, he regained his sinces. Sort of.

“NAW,” the stallion whinneyed out in excitement, “YOU DIDN’T! YOU DIDN’T! NAW! NAAAWH! I’M BLOWN AWAY! I’M BLOWN AWAY! GET IN HERE!”

The stallion quickly wrapped his legs around Pocket, and gave him one big… spine destroying earth pony hug! He didn’t let up till he heard his name from a very familiar voice.

The stallion peaked around Pocket’s shoulder, and spotted another stallion with a long mane. He had almost mistaken him for a mare if he hadn’t studied his appearance for just a bit longer to notice the masculine edges.

Frat brother? Could it… “Bramble? Sweet celestia’s moon, how have you been brother!?~ And I have met Professor Hoofcourt. He actually assisted me on a project of mine, which made it gained some serious ground!”

Cheerilee did appreciate Mighty Magic’s complimenting her teaching ability; it was just strange to hear such praise from a stranger.  A student’s parent or guardian was one thing, but she would have never guessed in a million moons that she had any sort of ‘reputation’ beyond her own hometown.  Not that she didn’t believe him, it could be some former students, now grown up, you recalled fondly their days in her class, which, if true, warmed her heart.  “There is nothing to forgive Mighty Magic; it just isn’t something I’ve ever been told before.  When you’re a small town school teacher, you just never think about your reputation beyond what the students and their parents think, well except for the school board of course with their annual evaluations.”  Shudders.

She didn’t want to ponder too much about her rep though, lest she get a big head about it, besides the stallion’s offer was much more intriguing.  “Well I’d love to have you and your wife do a magic show for the students!   I’m sure it be a real treat for them, of course I’d have to clear it with the school board first, they can be a bit picky about these things, as I’m sure you know…”

Of the Magic family, Cheerilee felt most comfortable talking to Misty Magic, as the filly not only reminded her of her own students, but they had something else in common.  “You can just call me Cheerilee, no need to be formal, I’m just another guest here, in fact I am really just a plus one, well.. Plus two.  Actually this is my very first Gala also, I have never been to anything this fancy or formal before, and do feel a bit out of place among all the talented magic users such as yourself, but it is a privilege to be among you.”  Cheerilee understood the pain of rejection, every pony had to face it at some point in their life, but it was obvious Misty wasn’t ready to talk about failing her exam, so she was happy to go along with switching topics when the young pony asked her about her job.  “Teaching?  Well it always has its own unique set of challenges, after all you have to not only keep the attention for a room full of foals but make sure they learn something new and grow each and every day.  It is so worth it though!  Seeing the smiles on their faces light up when they discover and understand something new, helping them discover who they are and what they want to do in life!  It’s moist rewarding!  How about you, is teaching something you are interested in?”

Fortunately there were a couple others that didn’t make Cheerilee feel nervous, Ingrid Marie and of course Bramble Rose.  The latter because she found his suddenly haunty accent disarming in an amusing way, and could understand the need to talk differently in an attempt to fit in.  “Well I do remember when I went to Canterlot U how the fancier sororities always spoke in a high-Canterlot accent.  I couldn’t ever figure out how to sound that way without coming off really hokey, so they always looked down at me as some country bumpkin, but that was alright, I manage to find my own circle of friends there. So you mention your father’s family is from the southwest?  Are they from Mustangia?  I didn’t really there were any unicorn families out there!  I guess just like the rest of us, unicorns have migrated pretty much everywhere in Equestria these days.”

14aittd.png

Ingrid Marie nodded at Fire Heart’s response. “Parents can get like that too, yes. Your mother and father will probably always worry for you,” the magic counselor rested a hoof on Fire’s shoulder and warmly smiled; “But they should also be proud of you, Miss Heart. You’ve grown up in so many ways ever since you entered our School. Be sure to remind your parents of that whenever they get too anxious, mmkay?”

Once Pocket Change set the record straight on what a guild was, Ingrid nonchalantly let her friend Bramble Rose know that he had nothing to apologize for; “Eh, it’s nothing to worry about.” What was surprising though was finding out that Bramble was already acquainted with fellow Spellbound member JavaSun. Ms. Marie may not have interacted much with Java outside of magic guild business, but she still thought to be quite the fascinating surprise. “Well well well,” the counselor commented in Java and Bramble’s direction; “I didn’t realize the two of you knew each other.”

Counselor Marie replied back to the Professor's proposal; “That sounds like a pleasant idea Hoofcourt, we'll have to get together sometime next week when I've got the time." Abracadabra’s words caused Ingrid to reminiscence to her own time back as a magic student, when she was a filly rapidly maturing toward marehood. She first started tutoring her fellow schoolmates during that time, among them a lowerclassmare named Abra. Evidently, Ingrid left quite an impression of Abra that the other recalled the senior as a professor even back then. Not bothering to correct Abra’s memory, Ingrid smiled as she replied with her own hindsight; “Hmmm, and I have to say that if it hadn’t been for schoolmates like yourself, I wouldn’t have gotten into magic counseling. Hehe, funny how that works.”

Before Abra could reply back, their conversation came to an abrupt end as Ice Storm made a series of announcements. Ingrid Marie unconsciously drifted away from her group, giving the hostess her undivided attention. As per gala etiquette, she clapped when the opening speech ended, although for some reason, the middle-aged unicorn couldn’t remember for the life of her what she planned on asking Miss Storm. Ingrid was so sure she wanted to ask the hostess something a minute ago.....

As she waited for the others to reply, another pony came over to introduce herself to the group. She looked a little timid, wandering about until she gathered the courage to talk to her. 

"Hi there! Lovely gala isn't it?" 

"Yes it is," she said admiring Ice Storm's hoof work, "I think I remember you from one of the times that I spent practicing at the Guild. Your name is Touch Stone, right?" 

"Well, it's a good day when you learn something new!" 

"It is, isn't it? Don't worry, I got a little confused about what this guild was when I first heard about it until I actually visited it. It was really different from what it is now, merely just a big old warehouse. It's certainly come a long way from there." 

“Teaching?  Well it always has its own unique set of challenges, after all you have to not only keep the attention for a room full of foals but make sure they learn something new and grow each and every day.  It is so worth it though!  Seeing the smiles on their faces light up when they discover and understand something new, helping them discover who they are and what they want to do in life!  It’s moist rewarding!  How about you, is teaching something you are interested in?”

"I think so. I always love learning new things and sharing them with others. I don't know if i'd be able to keep their attention though. I guess if I was a teacher I'd like to teach ponies how to use their magic, just like those teachers who instructed me at the school when I was a little filly." 

“Parents can get like that too, yes. Your mother and father will probably always worry for you,” the magic counselor rested a hoof on Fire’s shoulder and warmly smiled; “But they should also be proud of you, Miss Heart. You’ve grown up in so many ways ever since you entered our School. Be sure to remind your parents of that whenever they get too anxious, mmkay?”

"Oh I know they're proud of me," Fire Heart said as she beamed a little, "Thank you for your kind words. I will definitely drop by and visit after graduating. Who knows, maybe I'll be returning as a teacher!" 

The conversation was interrupted as Ice Storm announced the activities of the night and where things were. After speaking and the music began, she could see that the blue unicorn was looking around. She could imagine that she was looking for Fire, and the red mare had an idea what she wanted. 

"Excuse me," she said to the group, "But I think somepony is trying to get my attention. I'll be back to talk with you, so don't you worry." 

She made her way through the crowd and finding Ice tapped her lightly on the shoulder to get her attention. 

"Hello there! Did you miss me?" 

As the members of the Magic family present at the party were engaged in conversation with others, Ice Storm announcement about the band that would be playing briefly turned their attention towards the party's hostess.

"Did you hear that, my love?" Abracadabra asked her husband, "the dancing is about to start!  Shall we?"

"Of course, darling," Mighty Magic replied as the unicorn couple started to move towards the dance floor, "please excuse us, everypony, but my wife and I are going to get in on some dancing at this wonderful party."

"Have fun, kids," Professor Hoofcourt said with a smile before turning back towards the group of mares that Bramble Rose had just introduced to him.  "Pleased to meet all of you!  I am a retired instructor from both Canterlot U and Princess Celestia's Academy.  Bramble Rose here was one of my best students.  Are all of you enjoying the party?"

Misty Magic had  barely noticed Ice Storm's announcement or her parents departure towards the dance floor.  The petite unicorn mare was engrossed in conversation with Cheerilee, the fascinating school teacher from Ponyville.

"Well Cheerilee," Misty began to respond to the Earth mare, "in my younger days, I thought about teaching as a profession, but I just didn't think I had what it takes to be a school teacher.  I don't know if I could speak in front of so many ponies at once, even a group of foals.  I do like my job at the Post Office though, the workload isn't so bad and I'm happy doing a job that's as easy as pie!  OH NO!"

Instantly, Misty placed her front hooves over her mouth, but it was too late.  Suddenly, a small table appeared next to Cheerilee with several fresh pies upon it.  Now Misty didn't know what to do.  At least THIS time her magical mishap hadn't caused a huge amount of embarrassment.  The pies did smell good, although she really didn't know what type they were since all of them had flaky pie crusts on top of them.  Quickly, Misty just decided to smile and just, 'go along' with it.

"Ah, looks like magic abounds here at this Spellbound Gala!" the petite unicorn mare neighed, "imagine that!  Anyway, Cheerilee, does your school often hold class reunions?  Do you ever get to see the students who graduate and then go on with their adult lives?"

PHIf92S.png

Well, then.

This night was getting better and better.

...Relatively speaking.

Ice Storm seemed to have no problem carrying on a conversation by herself - or perhaps simply liked to fill up silence with unneeded explanations - and Nocturne was rather proud of himself for managing to listen all the way through. Luckily for him it seemed, his ploy had ended up working, as the darkly colored Unicorn gave a brief nod of his head in response to the mare's goodbyes before she headed away.

Plus, it'd had the added benefit of addressing an actual criticism he'd had. The stallion had no idea why the musical entertainment for an evening had been running behind, whether through their own folly or some fault of the hostess. Nevertheless, the musicians began setting up in their places as Ice Storm gave out a few announcements, allowing Nocturne to relax just slightly as soft music began to slowly whip upwards into the air.

And if he took a few steps back away from the dance floor, well, that was his own feather-flanked business.

Change and Moondancer were still conversing with the discourteous brown Earth Pony, and Nocturne made a brief note to remember to ask what had kept Change so occupied through the evening as his pale gaze swept over the rest of the room. He had no qualms remaining blissfully secluded in his little corner, but his punch had all but been drained, and there was a veritable mish-mash of bodies around the refreshments table - certainly not worth the effort of grabbing another cup. Aside from his friends, there was no one else that piqued his interest, all speaking in small pockets of bodies together.

A sudden flash of red across the otherwise blue and white atmosphere pulled his attention away from its wanderings to alight on a vaguely familiar mare, aptly colored with fiery reds and oranges. The mare was making her way over towards Ice Storm, which allowed Nocturne's gaze to slip past her and onto one of the ponies she had just vacated the presence from. All of them rather standard, except for -

He couldn't help it - his eyes narrowed.

Was that a...Pegasus?

There were Earth Ponies in the guild...and if rumors were to be believed, even a Zebra. But Nocturne couldn't remember hearing anything of a Pegasus. Perhaps he shouldn't have been surprised though - there had been a Changeling just a few moments earlier, he remembered with a scowl, before she'd screamed like an infant filly on Nightmare Night and exited from the building.

So much the better.

Still, Nocturne couldn't help be but a little intrigued. Did she join Spellbound in hopes of learning more about Pegasus magic? While Unicorns could actively exert and control magic, the other pony species exhibited subtler and involuntary magic. Was there any way to actively harness it, to have a voluntary control over it? An interesting study, if Nocturne thought about it a little longer, and thinking about it was just enough to propel him across the room, long-drained punch glass settled on a nearby table.

"Pegasi rarely enroll into magic-orientated organizations," the dark blue stallion stated bluntly and without preamble, coming up short when he was near enough to the blue Pegasus to make it clear he was addressing her. "What is your major area of study?"

OtTO0GZl.jpg

"Oh! Aetherology... that's right, the new mare I invited tonight said she'd studied aetherology in the school for gifted unicorns and if I figured out the math right. she did it around the same time as you. She's got a nifty talent and magic I saw her do once when I wound up getting caught up in a ... well an incident with her." The freckled painter gestured to the mare on the other end of the room with the golden yellow eyes and the stoic disposition. 

In response to Moondancer's second question, Presteza grinned brightly. "Java and I have been doing pretty great so far. If anything spending time in his place and on his ship is considerably more interesting than... y'know, the last stallion I dated." She said with a slight giggle, "We've been doin' a lot o' travellin' and lookin' through old tombs all across the land so It's been a great tim-..." The painter blinked and  gestured to the box at moony's side, "I think someone's got a gift fer ya!"

The painter in the crowd gave her friend's speech on stage a round of applause, reminding herself to tell she did great the next time she could in the gala. She knew Ice Storm hadn't hosted one of these kinds of parties before and could probably use a bit of support.

Upon seeing how happy Java was with his gift, she could almost hug pocket herself due to making her somepony so happy. She never had gotten into his love of tabletop games but lately she'd been trying for both their sakes... at the very least she always loved those lorebooks that had illustrations of the fantastical monsters. 

Soon though the mare was distracted as she heard what sounded like a familiar... was that... it was! Bramble Rose! She hadn't seen her botanical friend in ages! The last time she'd met him was after the zap apple harvest and after a magical misfire she wound up stuck on top of his roof while a friend of his came by. Soon Java went over and greeted in an almost amusingly over the top manner that garnered a chuckle from the freckled painter.

"Java, I can't believe I'm learnin' you knew, Bramble rose all this time and I never knew!" She gave a wave to the purple stallion, "Hiya! I've got the same question he does!"

Witchweed waited for an answer that never came, and decided it was best to forge ahead lest indecision waste the entire night.

The smattering of small groups had seemed to be massing together into a growing, chaotic congregation of chattering ponies, presents, words, and conversational partners  being exchanged with relative ease., but she picked up on the word ‘professor’ bouncing around between a cluster of them. One stallion squealed after finding his present was- a book. Jackpot. It was probably their best bet to find any scientists among the group.

The only smaller, quieter option had been the blue pegasi that had entered the room. There was something familiar about her- was she famous? She could swear she’d seen a picture or something about her somewhere… maybe her roommate had said something? She couldn’t quite remember-

And then it ceased to matter as that dark stallion who had so quickly vacated their presence had moved in to speak to her. Of course, she didn’t have to let his presence dictate her own actions at all. Perhaps he would repeat his previous greeting and crawl off to a corner- but that was besides the point. She had met a pony looking for a science pony, giving her an objective to focus on and something to chat about.

“I think I heard one of them say professor.” She indicated with a tilt of her head towards the gathering, slowly walking in their direction.

“By the by, what kind of magical science do you specialize in?” she asked Bevel over her should.

A few moments later, she spoke somewhat generally to the group, doing her best not to crowd any pony, though it was getting difficult.

“Happy Hearth’s Warming my fellow ponies. This is a rather lovely party. I’m Witchweed Charm. By the by, do any of you have any interest in the magical sciences? My, friend, is inquiring.” she asked, looking from Java to Bramble to Ingrid to Hoofcourt to Cherilee  (and any other pony she missed).

Archived