Rainbow Dash vs. the Unfinished Novel

Bramble Rose

(( This is an open, public thread - like the various 'stand in line' threads around the forums, but not so structured.  Feel free to distract Dash from her writing somehow, or to just have random hijinks happen nearby, inspiring her for her upcoming scenes!  Have fun, feel free to be crazy. ))

Rainbow Dash had been considering this a long, long time.  It was the perfect story.  A young mare, growing from an unpresupposing beginning to becoming Captain of the Wonderbolts!  And, of course, the dramatic and gripping adventures along the way.  She'd figured out all sorts of things about it ... but the one thing she hadn't done yet, was actually start writing it.  The idea was the hard part thought!  She'd knock this out in an afternoon!

She had a saddlebag full of parchment, a whole case full of freshly sharpened pencils, and she settled down in Ponyville's cafe to a fresh cup of coffee.  Ahhhh.  (sip)

How to begin?  Well ... first, she needed a name for the main character.  She'd already figured she couldn't call the character 'Rainbow' in any way.  That'd never work.  But she'd come up with the perfect name... Aurora.  She wrote the name down.  "Aurora," she said to herself.  It was lovely.  In fact, if she ever had a foal, she'd want to name her foal that.  Not that she had to worry about that anytime soon.  But it wasn't ... quite ... there, for a truly legendary character in a book.  Aurora .... something.  Something with a prism?  Prisboom?  Aurora Prisboom.  No, let's suggest princesses... Sunprism?  That was nice!  Except Aurora was a 'night' name.  Starprism!  Even better!  "Aurora Starprism." she whispered.  Then, lower voice, trying out its dramatic overtones... "Aurora Starprism."  There we go!  But... no, it was lacking something.  This needed to be a fast character. Something for speed... "Lightspeed." she whispered to herself, struck by inspiration.  "Aurora Starprism Lightspeed... ...  No, wait.  Aurora Lightspeed Starprism."  She stopped and thought about it.  Yes, the name was indeed awesome... but there were many awesome names.  What made this stand out over those?  It needed just one more little touch to take it from awesome to most awesome.  Like... oh, she'd once seen something spelled with a y instead of an i.  That was pretty epic!  "Aurora Lyghtspeed Starprism.  Aurora Lightspeed Starprysm.  Aw, how to choose?  Wait!  Why choose?  Aurora Lyghtspeed Starprysm!"

She couldn't even stand her own awesomeness.  Never had such an awesome name for a main character been fashioned in all the history of bookdom.  She let out an excited squee, kicking her hooves for a moment, and then settled down to start her book.

The Ultimate Flight
by Rainbow Dash

My name is Aurora Lyghtspeed Starprysm, and I am a pegasus pony.  I have a coat as ebony black as the midnight sky under a new moon, speckled with shining white stars around my flank, where my cutie mark of a bright star shining a white beam into a prism and scattering it out into a field of northern lights that takes up half my side.  It's impossible to distinguish where my mane starts and the cutie mark ends, because my mane and tail of pale northern light colors look exactly the same as my cutie mark.  I have always wanted to be a Wonderbolt.

When I was little, I was teased a lot, because of my eyes.  For some reason, my eyes were always white, as if I was blind, even though I could see better than anypony.  That didn't stop them from teasing me, though - Blindspeed, they'd call me.  Or Sunblind.  I didn't know at first that I could see better than them, because the bright light of the day often hurt my eyes, and I would wear dark glasses a lot.  That made it hard for me to see.  But the problem was that I was seeing the light too well, and that's why my eyes hurt.  Even now, I often wear shades, even at night, just to protect my amazing vision.  But that's only the first of my many talents.

Dash sat back and savored the introduction to her new character as she sipped her coffee.  Awwww, yeah.  This was gonna be AWESOME.  And so easy!

lore_weaver_new_style_by_kitsune85-d97re

It was a usual ritual for Lore Weaver to take a break from his routine as a librarian to visit the cafe. The place was one where he had no expectations or deadlines, just a place to relax. It was also a place for inspiration where ponies could spend writing, drawing, or simply bouncing ideas off each other. 

As he ordered an Oolong tea, his attention turned towards Rainbow Dash sitting with a stack of paper and a pile of pencils while deep in concentration. Levitating the tea over with him he crept closer to see lines already on the first page, the makings of a story. Well this got the avid reader and writer stallion interested! He didn't see Rainbow as the type to write her own story as it wasn't long ago that she balked at reading, 

"Hello Rainbow Dash! I see you're deep into writing. Is it a novel you're working on?" 

When I was just a foal, I already knew my path was going to be odd.  I was flying along the side of a river in the clouds, even though most foals my age weren't flying yet.  I'll admit, it wasn't much of flying - I was practicing, even back then, and could go no further than fifty yards at a time, but it was a start.  That is when I ran into the strange pegasus.  Instead of feathered wings, he had wings like a dragonfly!  I knew what a dragonfly was, then, because of my school field trips down to the ground.  He told me that he saw a powerful future for me - that many ponies would hate me for how different I was, but that if my heart was true, I could save all of Equestria from terrible danger, and be revered as a hero.  I did not know what he meant, then.  I thought he was a crazy old pony, except he was young, and his words made me understand the greatness of my future.

But I didn't want to be some hero, then.  I rejected the hero's call, and told him to go away, that I wasn't interested in being hated or in being a hero.  But when I got home that evening, I found that my cloud home, where I lived by myself because I had never known my parents, had sprung a leak, and most of it had rained away.  There was barely more than a small closet left, and almost all of my things had crashed to the ground far below.  The only thing I was able to save was the pendant from my box that for some reason I hadn't worn that day, but I had dove after it to keep it from smashing against the ground far below, because it was the only thing I had of my parents, even though I had never been able to open it.

I decided, since I had nothing else to do, I might as well be a hero, and looked for the strange dragonfly-winged pony, but he was no there anymore.  I didn't know where he went, either.  I also didn't know how to find him.

Rainbow Dash felt choked up.  Such a tragic backstory!  It was like the universe itself was against poor Aurora Lightspeed Starprism.  Ooo, good line!  She made a note of that for later.  And then she looked up as another pony approached.  "Oh, hello!  I ... have I seen you around the castle?"  She grinned as he recognized her talent.  "Yes!  I'm starting in on the next amazing adventure series of books!  These are going to inspire everypony to be better ponies through the tragic perserverence of the main charater in her quest to become the Captain of the Wonderbolts!"

tumblr_n59rn0xKUO1taikkno1_500.gif

"Uh... yes, I'm Lore Weaver. I actually work in the castle, as the librarian. I think you remember me after checking out several books, including the Daring Do series multiple times?" 

Lore smile hearing that the Pegasus was embarking on becoming the next great novel writer. And mentioning that she was planning on creating a series was very ambitious for a first try. And it was a certainly interesting idea of a pony going from tragedy to triumph. 

"Sounds like an interesting story idea. Actually, I'm working on a novel too, maybe not a series but definitely a good book to start. Would you like some help with you book? I find an extra pony to read something helps me with my writing." 

Dash blinked, then smiled brightly.  "Oh, right!  Back before I had the whole series myself!  All right, thanks!  Nice to meet you, Lore Weaver!  And hey, I'm Rainbow Dash, I don't need help!  But you can have a look if you like!  Just a minute, though, let me finish up these next few paragraphs!"  She winked at him, took a sip of coffee, then bent over the papers.

I thought I would be homeless that night, but instead a nice stallion came up to me.  At the time, I thought he was very old, because I was just a foal, but he was not all that old.  He told me that a strange pony with dragonfly wings had told him that I was to be a hero, and that he was supposed to help me.  He became someone I hated and liked both.  He brought me to a library, and said I was to sleep there.  He was the librarian, and he offered to help train me.  For five months, I lived in that library and trained.  He was a strange librarian - and I didn't know how he knew so much about Wonderbolts.  He said he had read it in a book, but that seemed suspicious to me.  What book knows so much about Wonderbolts?  But he trained me to fly between the shelves of books, weaving back and forth.  And he taught me to fly precisely by stacking books on my head and back and having me fly without dropping them.  And he taught me to raise wing strength by putting books on my wings, and having me fly with books on my wings.  It was very hard work, and I hated him, but I stayed because I also liked him, and he was helping me to become stronger.

After five months, I wanted to leave, because I thought that was all he could teach me, but then he convinced me to stay longer.  So I did.  It was very emotional, but I would never forget the words he said.  They made me cry, but made me feel joy in my chest that I could be a Wonderbolt.  I promised myself and him that I would be a Wonderbolt, so I knew I would, because I had never broken a promise, even when it looked like I would die.  And that is why I thought it meant to be a hero - because Wonderbolts are heroes, so being a Wonderbolt would make me a hero.

It was after that, then, that he brought out the weapons.  Lances, and swords, and armor, and ice-arrows.  And then he started my training for real.  And he told me his name, and it was Ancient Knowledge Keeper.

Dash leaned back, let out a satisfied sigh.  Now that was some classic literature!  She took the couple of sheets of paper that were the totality of her book so far, and pushed them across to Lore Weaver.  "I just started a few minutes ago, so that's all I have, but enjoy!  I think I packed a LOT of drama into those two pages!"

Lore Weaver frowned a bit as Rainbow Dash rebuffed his offer to help her. Granted he wasn't some established author yet, but if that was what Rainbow wanted then he wasn't going to force the point. Perhaps when Dash finished her story he could try again. Still it was nice that the mare offered him to read what she had finished...

And it was... interesting. It had a good premise of the pony being introduced with this mysterious mentor. But while there were lots of drama points, there was something big lacking. 

"I just started a few minutes ago, so that's all I have, but enjoy!  I think I packed a LOT of drama into those two pages!"

"I can see that, and there is definitely lots of action. May I suggest something though, just as reading this like somepony else would?" 

Well Lore Weaver asked and Rainbow Dash accepted, but now came the tricky part: saying what the stallion wanted without offending her. He didn't know how well Rainbow Dash accepted criticism, but she seemed level headed... right? 

"Alright, so you have lots of action in this story which is great, but have you considered putting dialogue in the story? That way you'll get more development between characters like Aurora and the Ancient Knowledge Keeper. Plus when somepony reads it they can see how Aurora thinks as well as how she interacts with others." 

She gave a little nod.  Wait, she didn't have any conversation yet?  She reviewed it quickly in her mind.  Of course she was going to have conversation!  Why hadn't it popped up yet?  Ah!  "Oh, I didn't have any conversation up til now because it was just backstory," Rainbow Dash explained quickly.  

"But with Ancient Knowledge Keeper, good ol' Ack, I didn't want his inspirational speech actually in words.  See, no matter how awesome I made his speech, it wouldn't mean the same thing to everypony!  You know how, like, when the hero makes a threat against some villain, and then she's all, 'or else,' then the villain backs down, she never said what the 'else' is!  The villain can always imagine something worse than she can!  If I leave his words of encouragement vague, then I can make reference to it, but whatever the ponies reading can imagine is always what is most encouraging to THEM."

Yeah, that made sense, right?  "Besides, you gotta know where she CAME from before the conversations have meaning!  Here, I'll show you!"

She quickly leaned over a fresh, blank page, the pencil in her mouth moving quickly over the parchment as she set to scribing the next part of her masterpiece.

"But, why do I have to train with this?" I asked him, trying to pull the powerful bow.  See, bows have something called tensile strength, and I had been just a little filly at the time.  His training had given me a lot of strength, but it was still very hard, and my forelegs were aching all the time now.  "What does shooting a bow have to do with being a Wonderbolt?"

"Wonderbolts aren't just flyers," intoned Ancient Knowledge Keeper.  "When dragons or monsters or stuff invade Equestria," he went on in a low, sonorous voice that reverberated with wisdom, "The Wonderbolts are those who come to defend innocent ponies and foals and crops and stuff.  Wonderbolts are both the first line of defense and the last line of defense - first into danger, last out.  You must look beyond the peace of the current time."

When I released the ice arrow, it flew through the air but hit the cloud below me before it ever reached the target.  Now, ice arrows feeding into clouds can be dangerous, but he had given me weak ice arrows, so instead of a monster cloud, it just made a little storm cloud.  Then I had to wearily flap my wings to fly over to the little storm cloud and kick it into smithereens, because that was part of my training too.  And then I had to fly back, and pick up the bow for the next go.

"You have to feel the bow as part of you," he said.  "Don't feel the ache in your forelegs.  It burns, yes, but let the coolness of the ice arrow sooth that burn.  Be one with the arrow, and the bow, and aim, and draw, and then breath out, and let go of the string."  And I did what he said, and I got a bullseye.  I didn't always get bullseyes, after that, but I did better every day, because that's what practice means is to sometimes do well, but to keep pushing boundaries and making mistakes, all your mistakes in practice so that when you need it, you've already used up all your mistakes and only your successes are left.

"Oh, I didn't have any conversation up til now because it was just backstory,"

"Oh, I see," Lore Weaver said as he realized that it was just the first few pages that Rainbow Dash had finished, "You were building up to it."

Then the mare explained that she didn't want to really write out the speech given by the Ancient Knowledge Keeper, although many of the stories Lore read in his spare time had the hero or villain give some memorable speech. With that the pegasus wrote out a conversation between the two characters.

"Yeah, that's what I mean about dialogue. I wasn't saying you need to make this long multi-page speech, just something between the two. So, do you have an outline of this story, of where you want it to go?"

Two little Pegasus ponies entered the café with one thing on their little minds. Cinnamon Banana Hot Chocolate!

Nopony in Equestria made it as well as the coffee shop, and they both intended to snag a cup or two. A very blue filly adorned with what appeared to be an winged tornado on her flank glanced back outside with a frown. The filly wanted to spend the day with two of her favorite colts. Her older brother Punk Walker, and her Canterlot friend, Fast Track, however, her brother had been running a little late. Hopefully he did not get in trouble with his commanding officer and made to do something un-fun. The Pegasus colt caught the disappointment on his friends face.

25qu5is.jpg

"Don't worry Windy, I'm sure your big brother is going to be here. Just give him time.", the colt knew her brother had been busy lately and that it had been at least 'two or three, or even maybe four-evers' that they got to spent a day with each other. He did not like his friend's very long face. Would there be something to distract her? Something.. Oh dear.

"Holy Socks!", the colt waved at his friend, making sure she could see his reflection in the glass door, "You wouldn't believe who is here..It's an..er.", his eyes darted around the small café. Maybe some of her Ponyville friends would be here. Scootaloo? Bebop Jazz? Glimmer? Did any of those ponies, and griffon even live in Ponyville? He forgot. None of those girls were here, but there was a purple guy, who he was pretty sure he saw working in some book store, and a rainbow manned adult. Oh. She's famous and therefore will useful for a distraction! Hurray!

"Wind...Rainbow Dash is here! You like her, right?", he tried to whisper.

2djzzgi.jpg

"No! No! No!", Wind Walker did not know how to whisper, "That's not Rainbow Dash! That's Purple Guy!" She couldn't help but grin as her friend rolled his eyes and pointed to the next pony. "Oh right! Rainbow Dash! She's cool." A quick rundown through the filly's mental list of 'cool people' would reveal Miss Dash to be somewhere near 'The Guy Who Makes The Donuts' in Canterlot and possibly Dunder. Rainbow Dash was one very cool pony and she was writing something? Wind had to look! And while her friend tried his best to discourage her from interrupting the mare, it was no use. He unleashed a very curious lioness.

"Hey Miss Dash!", the filly managed to find a good spot for some 'snooping', "Watch' yer writing?", she did not allow the older pony to respond as her eyes quickly fell upon the written words. A few moments later, the filly appeared to be either stuck in some sort of sneeze, or was about to burst into laughter, which she was trying hard not to do...

WILL Punk Walker arrive just in time to stop his little sister from insulting the famous Rainbow Dash? And if not, would she use her clout to send the filly to Tartarus for laughing at her soon to be hit novel? Find out soon, my little ponies!

iFDIiMp.png

Just look at how great he is!

Punk has entered the building! There was nopony that could doubt it as the magnificent, red-maned Pegasus burst into the shop, hoof's full with tiny presents. Shouting from the top of his lungs that "Punk Walker has returned yet again! Bring forth your first-borns and hide your sweets, nopony is safe today!"  There he was fully ready to spend some quality time with his little sister! Who WOULDN'T want to hear about that?! He swiftly scoped the shop and saw Fast track and his sister inside. Whereupon he of course waved and shouted violently to get their attention, again. If it was needed.

Punk then saw, gasp, his favorite celebrity! Rainmane Dueché!  Punk Walkers eyes gleamed up like a foal eating pumpkin on nightmare night as he quickly dashed over to her. "Rainmane Dueché! I adooooooore your flying! Like that time you flew with the Wonderbolts! Or that time you trained with the Wonderbolts! Or that time the Wonderbolts gave you a batch of honour or whateverit'snamewas! Or the time the Wonderbolts looked at you and thought you were cool!" Punk then proceeded to execute a, for him,  very convincing "fake faint" to further emphasize his  adoration.

"Oh Hello Windy, good to see you too." He said and petted his sister's head as he got back up on his hoofs. "And you too Fast Track!" He shouted over his shoulder before he proceeded hand all his tiny presents to Windy. "And of course you as well purple pony of whom I've never met!" Punk said without looking up from his present distribution."So what are we up to?" He asked and looked around like he expected something.

Rainbow Dash grinned confidently to Lore Weaver.  "That's what I'm doin', yup!  And I don't wanna ruin all the details and everything, you'll have to buy the book, but spoiler alert - the outline heads for her becoming leader of the Wonderbolts, just as monsters attack and the Wonderbolts have to be taken out of a major show in order to defend Equestria!  I don't have every blow-by-blow settled, yet, but it's gonna be radical."

And then there was an adorable little filly looking down at her writing.  She could see the kid was pretty clever, and the way her face lit up like that must mean that she had seen how engaging and amazing her story was!  She smiled benevolantly, ready to answer her, when they were suddenly assaulted by a blast of sound and fury in the form of one red-headed colt ... "Wow, kid." she said to Punk, though he wasn't really all that much younger than she was, "You got a FOUL mouth on you, there!"  She shook her head, ruffled his red shock of mane.  "Don't worry, keep practicing, and you'll catch the hang of it and get some actual skill at razzing ponies that doesn't rely on shock tactics."

"Oh I'm sure that I'll buy two copies once it's done," Lore Weaver said with a grin, "One for me and one for the library! Hey, that gives me an idea: a local writers area where ponies from Ponyville can have their novels or poetry displayed! Anyway, I like the plot twist of her having to prove herself even after getting what she wanted."

Before saying anything else, there passed by several foals excited to meet Rainbow Dash! There was no doubt that the rainbow manned Pegasus was a popular pony. Lore wondered what it would be like having followers like Rainbow Dash, but meeting foals who were eggheads like him came in short supply. 

"Holy Socks!", the colt waved at his friend, making sure she could see his reflection in the glass door, "You wouldn't believe who is here..It's an..er."

Lore didn't know if the colt was looking at him or Rainbow Dash, but he could guess which one. 

"No! No! No! That's not Rainbow Dash! That's Purple Guy!" 

"Err... actually it's Lore Weaver. Purple Guy reminds me of some creepy book I read about a guard at a haunted party place, but maybe that's something for you to read just yet. 

"And of course you as well purple pony of whom I've never met! So what are we up to?" another Pegasus said.

"Well, now we have. I'm Lore Weaver, head librarian of the Royal Ponyville Library. I was talking to Rainbow Dash here about her novel. Very interesting." 

25qu5is.jpg

“Oh dear.”, the colt’s ears flattened against his skull as he muttered under his breath while the second ‘Walker’ entered the café. “Looks like Punk Walker had too much sugar again.”, Fast Track whispered to the two adult ponies, “I apologize in advance for whatever Mister Punk will say or do. He is a very silly stallion.” While the preposterous pony broke into his usual series of antics, the little Pegasus pony took this time to quickly go through what Rainbow Dash had written so far. It was a slightly rude thing to do, but his curiosity had gotten the better of him.

2djzzgi.jpg

While it might have started off as an loud chuckle, or possibly a sneeze, when the little blue filly finally opened her mouth, she blurted out an,"Hey Punky!", Wind Walker smiled as her older sibling gave her a quick pat on the mane.  Oblivious to the schooling Punk Walker had already received from the rainbow haired mare, "'Course it's good to see me, silly.", she added before turning her attention to Purple Guy, "Didn't you own a book store?", she asked, "And I didn't even know we had an 'Royal Ponyville Library'. I thought the library got blown up real good, or is it in the new castle?", her eyes also fell upon Rainbow's text as she spoke.

"Erm.", the colt had finished going through the text, "It's very..erm." His ears perked up as Lore Weaver used the right word, which was "Interesting.", he also added, "Now Miss Dash..Is the book supposed to be Aurora Lyghtspeed Starprysm's journal?", he gritted his teeth as he spoke the name, "That can be cool. Maybe give 'Ancient Knowledge Keeper' a more pony name? Smarty Pants? Smart Cookie? Sage? Lavender Fellow?", he managed to sneak a quick grin in with the last suggestion.

"Geez, that's all you got?", the filly rolled her eyes, "I do like the bit where they're training. Cause in movies they always show a montage of the teacher and student. The student fails in all sorts of hilarious ways. ", the filly mimicked the teacher as she shook her head sadly while she had her two front legs folded against her stomach in a show of disapproval, "But then the rock music starts and the student starts to get it!", Wind Walker attempted to play 'air-guitar', "Meedly-Meedly-Meedly!" Thankfully this only lasted a second, "But then you have two ponies just talking. And they're not doing anything. Maybe instead of that, you can flashback into an real cool action scene that shows, and not tells how important the Wonderbolts are!"

Her colt-friend started to open his mouth, but the filly continued, "You could have a dragon...No a HORDE of dragons! And they'd be flying around, Burninating everything in sight! Ponies! The countryside! Their thatched-roof cottages! All burned up! But then before things get worse, here come the Wonderbolts! Hurray! But also the Royal Equestrian Army..Cause my whole family is in that, and they're cool. Not Wonderbolts cool, but still cool. And they join forces and kick the evil dragon's scaly booties and make then run back home to their mommies. And both the Wonderbolts and the R.E.A can bump hoofs and then you'd flash back to Lygtsp..speed..er...", the blue filly showed a little red in her cheeks, "Maybe you should also give your hero a shorter name..Cause all the good heroes have easy to remember names..Like Daring Do!"

"How about Starspeed?", again with the air-guitar, "SQUEEDLY-SQUEEDLY-SQUEEDLY!"

Punk was pleased and hyper! Pleased, because he has been given attention, hyper, because of the five gazillion cookies he had munched!  By the sounds of it Rainmane Dueché didn't appreciate it all that much though. She called him things which Punk would have figured would be 'offensive' if he was somepony to actually take them seriously. He decided instead to fend back! "Oh! But you see my child, I have no foul mouth! It is merely incredibly loud, so to say! And what was the word? Razzing? As in pestering? No no no! Not at all! If I came here with the intention to annoy you I would have found waaay more effective ways to do so!" Punk bent away and whispered to Lore Weaver. "Believe me. I'm good at it." He turned back to the Pegasus and smirked widely. "I just admire your ability to fly is all. So paardon me if it came out otherwise!" Punk said finally and ended it with a low flailing bow.

He turned to Lore Weaver and leaned in close. "Lore Weaver, huh? Sooo, you like books I presume. With the Library and all that." He slowly leaned away from him again,. "Well you Seem alright to me! Though personally I think books are a total bore! Not enough action or colours for my taste! Let me tell you movies on the other hand! Those are great!" He nodded excessively to empathize his point. "So is Rainmane making a novel! That gotta have plenty of action in it!" He continued and turned back to her but stopped himself midway. "Wait... Did you say 'Rainbow Dash'?" He arched an eyebrow but decided not to bother with it. so instead he continued! "Anyways make sure to let me see it then when you've got it done!"

Wind Walker! His favourite little blue munchkin! Punk turned to her with a wide smile and listened carefully to what she had to say. "Of course I'm cool Windy! Also yeees! Dragons! Or maybe a Flying-Space-Monster-Goo-Viking Dragons!" He flew up with his hoofs in the air and started to growl deeply and turned his voice to something very monsterish. Punk hovered above Windy and flailed with his arms towards her. "A terrible monster that eats heroes for breakfast! A monster who has never before been defeated until!" Punk imitated the sound of trumpets. "The Wonderbolts arrived!" He blinked at Wind Walker. "That's you Windy! Fight me!" He whispered with yet another blink before he started to aggressively but softly pat her head with both of his hoofs.

I apologize for my tardiness. I have had limited access to internet this week. Sorry for any inconvenience! :)

Rainbow Dash glared at Punk.  She'd run into this sort of teasing before, the overblown and overdone sarcastic praise.  And there was no mistaking that insulting name he'd delivered earlier.  And THEN he started bullying the nice little filly who seemed so nice.  She reached out and grabbed his forehoof as he tried to play the filly's head like bongos.  "Look," she growled at him, "I only want to do two things today - flight practice, and write, and I'm all done with this morning's flight practice.  I don't mind talking with these other ponies a bit, but I really wasn't planning on kicking somepony's flank.  Tell ya what.  Get out of here before I decide to change my plans."

She really wanted to respond to the others here, but honestly, she had to deal with this jerk first.

"Didn't you own a book store?", she asked, "And I didn't even know we had an 'Royal Ponyville Library'. I thought the library got blown up real good, or is it in the new castle?",

Lore Weaver's ears folded a little upon mentioning his former bookstore. It was still a sore spot on the stallion's memory, one that he made amends with but still couldn't easily forget. Still he didn't want to trouble the filly, but he wanted to set the record straight. 

"Well, you're right on both parts. I did own a bookstore and there was a library too. Both did get destroyed, which wasn't a great time. But a new library is in the castle, and I am now working here! I think if there's one thing I learned from this it's that sometimes even in the worst moments of our lives we sometimes think there's no way out of being sad or angry, but as long as there as hope we can find our happiness again." 

Oh dear, it looked like Wind Walker and Fast Track wanted in on the review of Rainbow Dash's novel in progress. Lore tried to offer a few suggestions at a time and maybe when the Pegasus finished the work could be polished, but the filly wanted to change things now! From what it sounded like Wind wanted lots of action and destruction. Still the idea of maybe changing the names was a good idea. 

"Those sound like good ideas. Have you two have tried writing a novel? You sound like you would make good writers." 

"Lore Weaver, huh? Sooo, you like books I presume. With the Library and all that. Well you Seem alright to me! Though personally I think books are a total bore! Not enough action or colours for my taste! Let me tell you movies on the other hand! Those are great!" 

There were certain words or phrases that were a trigger for the librarian. Punk just happened to choose one, combining the word "book" with "boring." How were books boring! They were absolutely brimming with stunning characters and story lines! He was about to initialize his lecture on conducting a reference interview to find the type of book suitable to the energetic colt while explaining how many books have the potential to become movies, but then Punk Walker went a little too far and began to ask Wind to fight him! 

"Look," she growled at him, "I only want to do two things today - flight practice, and write, and I'm all done with this morning's flight practice.  I don't mind talking with these other ponies a bit, but I really wasn't planning on kicking somepony's flank.  Tell ya what.  Get out of here before I decide to change my plans."

"You may like action and fighting in movies, but going around challenging ponies to fight isn't fun or cool. Why don't you come back when you're not so hyperactive?"

2djzzgi.jpg

“Oh.”, Wind Walker knew the cute little tree house library had been destroyed when the nasty ol’ Centaur strolled into town, but he also blew up Lore Weaver's store? "Sorry to hear that.", the filly whispered, "You had a really nice shop." Maybe his insurance did not cover 'acts of monsters'? Which you'd think businesses in Ponyville would need. "Still, you can always look back and remember the better times, when your store made a lot of ponies happy. And maybe one day, you'll open another store..And thanks for thinking we might be good writer. My mom writes books, mostly training manuals for the R.E.A, but she's currently writing a really special novel that we can't look at yet...ouch!", the blue Pegasus pony did not know that her brother wanted to roughhouse here! And while normally she would have been more than happy to give her brother a swift 'whooping', this was probably not the place to do so! And also, he was starting to make Miss Dash a tad bit on the upset side. She was probably not used to his idea of 'silly.'

25qu5is.jpg

“Ah nutbunnies.”, the little colt groaned as he placed both of his front hooves deep into his snout, almost if he was trying his best to hid. “Nopony likes when one says ‘I told you so’, but I won’t...Say..Anything else.” Was Wind’s big brother trying to get his rump kicked by Rainbow Dash? He had to know that this wasn’t some ordinary mare he was talking to. This was a honest to goodness HERO who helped save Equestria more times than he could count. Just one of her more milder hoof-punches would have sent that silly stallion to the moon! Hopefully Wind will shoo the older pony outside before something bad happens!

The filly agreed with her friend's statement. This was not going well for her older sibling. If Punk continued with his 'punking', he was probably going to be booted out of the café and they would not be able to do the things they had planned to do today. What could she do to keep this from happening without making her brother look bad? And how could she make it look like he's actually helping? A few ideas quickly fluttered about in the young pony's mind before she thought of something.

"Er, Miss Dash". she felt the need to raise her front right hoof, as if in school. "My brother isn't trying to be mean or anything, but instead he wishes to inspire you!" she gave off a rather large grin for such a small girl, "He's acting like the same bullies that Starspeed, or the name you called her..erm, has to deal with. And while it would be entertaining to have her beat all the bullies up, sometimes she would have to learn that violence isn't the solution for everything. That would make her the perfect hero. One with strength, speed and also lots of smarts!", she glanced at her brother, "Then the bully when know he was finished being mean and instead they become friends!" Hopefully that a suitable hint for her brother. "And show she has leadership skills, which we all know are very important for being an Wonderbolt!"

• 2 months later...

(( It's been two months since he logged in, I'm going to assume he's not returning. ))

Rainbow Dash watched Punk make his way out of the shop, silently.  Then let out a breath of relief.  She couldn't stand bullies.  She closed her eyes, took another breath, trying to get her adrenaline to calm down, listening to Windy say something about bullies in her book.

Ooo, wait!

"One moment, everypony," she said, "Muse strikes..."

Rainbow Dash bent over her paper and started to write... Where was she?  Ah, inspirational speeches.  OK, time for something different!

"Now, Aurora Lyghtspeed Starprysm," he said to me, because that was my name, and he always used my full name when he was trying to get my attention properly.  When we were having dinner or something, and he wanted the salt, he'd just say 'Aurora', and when I was doing something wrong, maybe he'd say "Miss Starprysm," but when he really wanted me to pay attention, he would say my entire name in that deep and rolling voice of his.

"Now," as I said, he said, "Aurora Lyghtspeed Starprysm, your training must move onto the next level.  You have done well in the training clouds, but you must continue your training from here on in with other ponies.  You must learn how to deal with difficulties in being with ponies, because you cannot always be alone."

So I was brought out to meet with the other young colts and fillies who were to be my class for the next several years.  They were all being specially trained and in advance of their normal class, but I didn't realize there was anything special about us.  What I knew at first, was that I didn't belong.

"This is Aurora Lyghtspeed Starprysm," said Ancient Knowledge Keeper.  "She is your new classmate.  Take care of her."

"Ooooo, Aurora Slowspeed Stupidprism!" said one colt, who I would find was named Banter.  I thought Ancient Knowledge Keeper would scold him for being mean, but he just walked away.  I was so angry at him for letting Banter bully me!  

I just wanted to find some corner and hide, but I hadn't gone through all that training for nothing!  "My name is Aurora Lyghtspeed Starprysm, or are you too stupid to be able to remember names?"

Despite the scathing retort, he kept making fun of me some more, and later I would cry over it, but for now I kept my head high as he and his two friends, Brute and Twitch, kept taunting me.  The other ponies drifted away, instead of helping, and I was angry at Ancient Knowledge Keeper, and angry at myself for letting him make me come here.  It'd be so much easier to be alone when nopony was around than to be alone in the middle of a herd.

Rainbow Dash looked up from her writing, and let out a *whew*.  "There we go.  That's the riveting tear-jerker!"  She grinned and tried to remember what they'd been talking about while she'd been distracted by Punk.  Lore Weaver had been saying something about putting her book in the library, and buying one himself.  Of course!  "Is it a good idea to sign a book in a library?" she wondered out loud.  "Or would my signature make it too valuable and then it'd get stolen?"  Ah well.  The little colt had started nitpicking the awesome names she'd chosen, and the filly had agreed and started in on ideas of epic battles, then ...

Oh, right!  Rainbow Dash shook her head at the young colt. "Anyway, sorry I got distracted.  It's not her journal, she's self-narrating.  Like she's telling you her story.  And Ancient Knowledge Keeper is a perfectly fine pony name!  It just has a bit more gravitas to it than most names!"  Aw, gravitas. What a great word.  Keep that one around for Akk.

Then she looked to the filly.  "As for the flashback idea... it'd be hard to do the flashback, because the story's only supposed to be what she sees ... but don't you worry!  There'll be PLENTY of super-awesome action and mega-radical battles coming along!"  She struck an air-guitar pose of her own and added her own "Meedly meedly MEEDLY MEEDLY MEEEEE!  You know, you gotta good head for stories.  Maybe you should write a book, too!"

Lore Weaver watched as Punk Walker exited the store looking like a deflated balloon. He hoped that the colt would change, but the unicorn knew that it was hard to change a pony's mind. Still Lore did not like bullies at all, knowing what it was like being the target of some as a colt, and so he had to say something. But once the dust settled, Lore resumed talking to Wind Walker.

"Sorry to hear that. You had a really nice shop.Still, you can always look back and remember the better times, when your store made a lot of ponies happy. And maybe one day, you'll open another store..And thanks for thinking we might be good writer. My mom writes books, mostly training manuals for the R.E.A, but she's currently writing a really special novel that we can't look at yet..."

"Thanks for your kind words. I'm happy to hear my shop made a difference even if it was only for a short while. Still, I do have a smaller book store in the library. It has all sorts of books ponies donated to the library. I'm glad to see though that  you want to consider writing. Your mom's type of writing is very important with those training manuals, as many recruits will be using them in the future."

In a flash of inspiration Rainbow Dash set to work on another part of her novel, this time using the bullying angle. The Stallion leaned over and looked at the new part. It wasn't bad, and great books always had conflict. But the topic switched to her getting her book signed.

"Well, that's why there would be two books, one that's unsigned for the general collection and the signed one for a special collection where ponies can read only in the library."

Zqnm9cr.png?1

Wind Walker couldn't help but feel a little upset as her brother left the café. Would he return? Time would tell. Thankfully the little coffee house was not that far from her house. So she and Fast Track would have no issues getting back home. She hoped Punk would visit them later tonight, and while he could confuse and confound adults with his brand of 'silliness', he was always extra fun when it came to sleepovers. She just hoped he did not upset Miss Rainbow Dash. Would she need to apologize again? The blue coated filly turned to the adult who had a familiar look she had seen before on her mother, before she would disappear into the home office. This would then be followed by the thunderous sound of her typing.

"Oh.", Wind was happy to see the mare as she burned through another part of her book. Her eyes creeped along and spied the pages as Rainbow Dash wrote. Good gravy! They sure liked saying 'Aurora Lyghtspeed Starprysm'. And she could see where their influence already was starting to pop up in the book. It was still not as cool when Wind got upset over Punk after he snatched her last SBLOUNSKCHED chocolate bar. Thus started the epic five part comic strip sensation that swept all of Equestria, or at least their living room. The adventures of Pukey The Pony! He was so nasty, he had permanent stink lines coming from his mouth. The epic tale ended with Pukey being sentenced to a bath tub by the 'bestest' princess ever, Princess Celestia.

She smiled and added her own 'Meedly meedly's along with the heroic mare. "Yeah, having her being an story-teller is a good idea! It's like when my big sister was a kid, dad would take her to this club for R.E.A officers and she would spend all day listening to an older stallion named Colonel Critchlow who would yammer on for hours about his adventures. I'm sure he would embellish the truth to make the story a bit more entertaining."

The blue filly kept a smile on her face as Lore Weaver mentioned his store. She had a book signed by the great A.K. Yearling there! "Oh yeah, I almost forgot about the donation thing! When we moved from Canterlot to here, she donated a bunch of her old books." Probably not the BEST books found their way to his store. Most involved hefty stallions holding mares in a loving embrace while on pirate ships or farms. Or that weird book about shades of a color that did not actually involve colors. Some of the filly's old kiddy books also found a new home there as well.

The filly turned to her friend who had a funny look on his muzzle. "Er, Fastie, what do you think about Miss Dash's book so far?"

brZgh4c.png?1

The brown colt appeared to have snapped out of his day dream, "Say Miss Dash, have you ever considered writing about yourself? From what I've heard from the papers, you've lived a pretty interesting life, from the whole saving the world thing, to the Sonic Rainboom.", the colt grinned as he spoke, "Then they'd want a movie made based off your book, and then a musical! And then a cartoon. And then a prequel. Or a remake. Or a sequel to the prequel."

• 3 weeks later...

Rainbow Dash let out a soft 'oohhhhhh' to Lorekeeper.  Er, Lore Weaver.  "Yeah, the special edition for the library, and the super-duper special edition you keep in the locked case!  That makes total sense!  I'll totally be glad to help out with that!  Probably be a national treasure someday."

And at Fast's words she looked rather smug.  "And yeah, my life story would actually be pretty awesome!  But that's why I got a ghost writer.  Or a dragon writer.  or whatever.  I'm having someone write my biography.  I'd write it myself, but I gotta focus on this masterpiece!  My buddy Spike's handling my story.  He understands me."

Training by myself was easy. Training with other ponies was a lot harder. It was easy to learn, for instance, the exact motions of a fighting sequence, but recognizing when to use it when you were sparring was really really difficult. I had to struggle a lot with it, and all the other ponies had already been practicing much longer than me. Not all our training was done with Ancient Knowledge Keeper, however. He introduced us to his friend, a retired military pathfinder who'd been on so many amazing adventures, an older mare by the name of Gleaming Shield.

After practices would done, I would linger afterwards, getting in a little extra practice, and when I did, Gleaming Shield would sit down and tell me all sorts of amazing stories about her adventures all over Equestria. I could never know if the stories were real or if she tried to make them more spectacular, but at the time I took them as pure truth, and they inspired me to keep trying and keep working hard.

"Yeah, having her being an story-teller is a good idea! It's like when my big sister was a kid, dad would take her to this club for R.E.A officers and she would spend all day listening to an older stallion named Colonel Critchlow who would yammer on for hours about his adventures. I'm sure he would embellish the truth to make the story a bit more entertaining."

"You're correct, Wind Walker. Writing in first person is a great way to show things from one character's point of view, and it fits well with what Rainbow Dash is writing."

Lore was going to explain that he didn't have a special special collection locked away deep within the library. True, there was the Special Collection room filled with older books and autographed ones that a pony needed permission to visit, but nothing under heavy lock and key. Otherwise, why have a book at all if nopony can read it? But The stallion decided it was best not to argue.

"Well, once you book is published we can get to putting in into the collection. It's great hearing that you're having a biography written about you too. Do you know the title Spike is giving your biography?"

• 4 weeks later...

“Spike is your ghost writer?”, while she did not know the little dragon personally, she had seen the little purple guy potter about Ponyville with his mother, Twilight Sparkle. Or was she considered his ‘big’ sister? She knew that there were a few ponies in town that thought of people who were not blood related as family. Probably why Ponyville was such a well loved town. Everypony knew everypony. Wind Walker was rather sure she heard her friend Scootaloo mention that she considered Miss Rainbow Dash as a sort of sister. The little blue filly pondered what her life would have been like if she had no siblings. She glanced over at Fast Track who had apparently been lost in thought. He had no brothers and sisters and even claimed that his parents were too busy even to own a pet and that he came along because his mother forgot to take her magic potion. Or was it something else?

A sly smile fell back on the filly’s face as she caught new story that the older Pegasus was quickly jotting down. Yeep. Those names still made her cringe, but if Miss Dash wishes to call her teacher character by that name...And another teacher appeared. This one was apparently more a 'fighty' trainer. So far Starprysm had a teacher for knowledge and now one for combat. Would she receive a few more teachers before she 'crossed the threshold'? The name sounded a little but familiar, but she guessed Rainbow was doing that on purpose.

Wind smiled at Lore Weaver as spoke. He sure would have made a MUCH better teacher than the nasty old minotaur that taught in her previous school. Mean old Miss Trunchbull! Thankfully, the filly heard her new teacher, Miss Cheerilee was sweet and kind and the best teacher one could hope for. This would still be an interesting experience. Going from the very large Canterlot elementary school, to the tiny old fashioned school house in Ponyville.

This reminded her of something...For the book..."Miss Dash....Maybe your character should get a rival? This would not be an outright villain, but somepony who is equal, or even maybe a little better than Starprysm? This rival would challenge your character and make her even stronger.."

Spoiler

OOC: ACK! Sorry I missed this RP! If I'm in any RPS with you two and I miss a post, don't hesitate to send me a little 'reminder'. I also put up a post the other day, but it poofed away after the little on site incident.

Archived