Rainbow Dash vs. the Unfinished Novel

Bramble Rose

"Oh, yeah, Spike's totally my ghost writer.  If I write it myself, everyone will think I'm just making everything up, cause my life's too awesome to be believed.  But an independent third party?  It'll sell in Vera City, wherever that is.  Not sure why that's the place to sell my book, either, but Twi said it, and she'd know."

She sighed softly.  "We're still working on a title.  I thought "The Spectacularly Awesome Wielder of the Loyal Rainboom" or "The Awesome Life of Rainbow Dash" or something like that, but Spike wasn't quite as thrilled about them.  He's working on a few new ideas."

She smiled to Wind Walker.  "And don't you worry, what's a story without a rival?  Of *course* she's going to have a rival!"  Dust tapped her hoof lightly on the little filly's nose, then got back to writing.

The teachers all liked me, of course, and Ancient Knowledge Keeper said it was because they recognized my potential - except for one teacher, though.  I'll get back to him later.  But the students were something else.  There were a few nice students, but the first one I met wasn't.  Her name was Grit Thunder.  She wore a tight black mesh shirt and dyed the front lock of her hair black, and she was the class ace.  No one could fly as fast as Grit Thunder, or fight as hard as Grit Thunder, or do school smart stuff as smart as Grit Thunder.

At least, not until I came along.  All the wing training that Ancient Knowledge Keeper had made me do had strengthened my wings until I could fly faster than I ever could before.  Grit Thunder had gotten tired of the training, and had never put much into it, because she was so naturally good at flying, but since I had to work at it, our first race together, I had ended up winning.

It was a humiliation she had gotten back at in the ring.  She'd had so much more practice with her practice sword, which she didn't mind practicing with because swords were cool while wing-training exercises were boring.  So she was both skilled and good at swordfighting, and she completely trounced me, though I put in a good fight that made everyone impressed, except the ones who didn't like me, who made fun of me the whole time.

"Err... that's Veracity. Not a city but it means truthfulness. So Twilight means your book will sell because it's so truthful. Then again so are most biographies are because somepony, or in this case dragon, is writing about you rather than you writing bout yourself." 

"We're still working on a title.  I thought "The Spectacularly Awesome Wielder of the Loyal Rainboom" or "The Awesome Life of Rainbow Dash" or something like that, but Spike wasn't quite as thrilled about them.  He's working on a few new ideas."

Lore liked the later one, but didn't say anything as the fillies present proposed having a rival in the story. 

"That is a good idea you two. Every good work of fiction has some kind of conflict, especially some villain that the hero must face." 

"And don't you worry, what's a story without a rival?  Of *course* she's going to have a rival!" 

Lore nodded with a smile as he read the next part of the story. He cringed a little slightly at the part of everypony liking him, recalling a certain story about an oh-so-perfect mare and her vampony stallionfriend and her werepony friend or something like that. But the rival was interesting and edgy. 

"Well this Grit Thunder seems interesting. I can see a conflict building right away." 

Archived