The Sombra War AU (UPDATE 7/2 - New App Rules)

Bellosh

DISCLAIMER: this thread is meant as a Rule and Lore repository/discussion topic for all RPs utilizing the Sombra War AU. If you want to plan a specific Sombra War RP thread, please do so in OOC Discussion.

INTRODUCTION

Long ago, a cruel unicorn by the name of Sombra usurped the throne of the Crystal Empire and enslaved its inhabitants. His aim: to exploit the power of the Crystal Heart to cover all the lands in darkness. But before King Sombra could realize his vision, he was challenged by the might of Princesses Celestia and Luna. Wielding the Elements of Harmony, the royal sisters defeated the Dark King and imprisoned him beneath ice. However, they could not prevent Sombra from making the Empire vanish, locking it in time until the magic powering his curse lifted.

Much has changed in the thousand years since the Crystal Empire’s disappearance. Princess Celestia now ruled alone; her sister having lost since lost to the Darkness. Unable to use the Elements of Harmony anymore, Celestia hoped that a new generation of Element Bearers would emerge and become Equestria’s champions, but it was not to be. Without the Element Bearers, it was only a matter of time before the Dark King returned.

When the Crystal Empire finally reemerged, so did Sombra. With no one to stop him, the evil stallion used his power to turn the crystal ponies into his soldiers. Gathering their full strength, King Sombra’s legions marched upon the lands of Equestria; destroying, conquering and subjugating everything in their path. Faced with this grave threat, Princess Celestia had but one choice... to mobilize her entire realm against the forces of darkness.

Today, much of Equestria is ravaged by the scourge of war. Earth ponies, unicorns, and pegasi struggle over land, sea, and air for the freedom of their homeland. Anypony not fighting on the front lines is dedicating themselves towards the war effort, toiling in support of their beloved armies. Equestria’s defenders are resolute, but that may not enough to hold the Enemy at bay, for King Sombra even now gathers all evil to him. Savage creatures from forgotten abysses, bloodthirsty mercenaries from faraway lands: all are answering Sombra’s call. Some whisper that it is only a matter of time before the Dark King ultimately triumphs on the field of battle... and bring Equestria under his oppressive shadow once and for all!

For anyone interested in this alternate future where the armies of Equestria defend their homeland from the hordes of darkness..... you shall be indulged.

------
THE STRATEGIC SITUATION

zJy34KX.jpg
Gray Overlay = Sombra's conquests
Red Lines = disputed territory

At this stage of the conflict, the defenders of Harmony and the legions of Darkness have settled into a deadly stalemate. Huge swaths of Equestria lie firmly under the dominion of King Sombra. South of the Great Nimbusgait Lakes and the Delamare River, land constantly switches back and forth between the two armies. Up towards the North, pockets of besieged resistance remain around Stalliongrad, Seaddle, and the Hasufel Mountains, kept alive at great cost through herculean resupply efforts.

King Sombra knows that by itself, his Crystal Legions lack the numerical and technological advantage over the rest of Equestria. To compensate for their weaknesses, Sombra’s legions wage a campaign of total war. Whatever territory they can’t hold, they plunder what they can take and burn everything else to the ground. Every able-bodied prisoner captured is forcibly brainwashed into the Crystal Legions; the weak are sent to toil as slaves for the Dark King’s cause. Lured by the promise of war spoils, caribou clans, griffon sky-pirates, changeling spies, Maretonian sorcerers, and other cutthroats fight in the name of the King of Evil. At the head of his hosts, King Sombra himself uses his fell magic to overwhelm his foes, for there are few among the living able to withstand his might.

Thus far, Equestria survives the Enemy’s onslaught through the courage and unity of its ponies. Yet with each moment the war continues, more and more land goes up in flames, while those who hold the Great Shadow grow more weary from the neverending fighting. King Sombra does not intend to stop his attack until Princess Celestia is finally vanquished, and her stronghold of Canterlot wiped off the face of the Earth. Few ponies wish to acknowledge it, but they have no hope of winning the War as long as Equestria stands alone.....

------
GENERAL RULES
Spoiler
  • Depicting Combat - Try to keep it PG-13 at most. Lord of the Rings-esque combat is perfectly acceptable, just don't get TOO graphic. If something graphic does happen, don't linger.
  • Artificial Appendages - Legs, wings, and horns that are lost in battle are replaceable with a prosthesis. Artificial wings and horns can work as effectively as the originals.
  • Max Tech Level - Anything that can be plausibly powered by magic or a steam engine is permissible, including metal-plated land vehicles, airships, and submarines. Just make sure that the tech is reasonably fantasy/steampunk. No electricity, internal combustion engines, airplanes, or other motor vehicles are allowed.
  • Allowed Personal Weapons - Based on a character's assigned class, they may be allowed the use of hoof-to-hoof techniques, blunt objects, blades, hoof-held explosives, potion bombs (think Molotov cocktails, but with potions), ranged weaponry that doesn't use gunpowder, and magic spells.
  • Artillery - Smoothbore, muzzle-loading cannons (like the Party Cannon) firing non-exploding projectiles are standard. Magically enchanted or potion-based ordinance has to be launched from a traditional siege engine.
  • Cast Restrictions - Since “Sombra War” is a sandbox for others, no player will have an exclusive right to use a particular cast character. However, cast have to stay true to their depictions in the “The Cutie Re-Mark” alternate future.
  • OOC Communication - Is essential to ensure that all combatant players are on the same page RP-wise.
  • Character Apps - Under new AU rules, players are allowed to apply for original characters and cast that exist solely in this AU. To do so, please use the application form below:
  • Name:
  • Character Summary (History & Personality):
  • Combat Skills:

CLASS RULES

Spoiler
  • Class Assignment - Is determined by a GM based on the content of a character's WoE app, or by mutual consent of all players in the absence of a GM. The three main classes are Militia, Regular, and Elite. Assigned classes determine which weapons a character may use.
  • Militia - Civilian ponies with rudimentary self-defense training. Weapons are basic: hoof-held, simple, and usually improvised from everyday tools. Are usually assigned to duties away from the front lines.
  • Regular - Equipped with armor, have more advanced combat training, and can wield swords or other weapons depending on what exactly their unit does.
  • Elite - Uses steampowered equipment, metal wings/horns, magically enchanted weaponry, advanced spells, and misc. custom gadgets. A GM requires the consent of all current players in a thread to give a character Elite-status.

SCENARIO RULES: PLAYER VS. GAMEMASTER

Spoiler
  • Participants - A team of players versus one gamemaster (GM) or more.
  • GM Powers - GMs have the ability to control enemy NPCs and/or a hostile player character of their own as they see fit. Should a GM deem that a player is fighting a little too successfully (ie. powergaming) given the logical circumstances, they can first issue an OOC warning to tone down a player’s actions. Should that player ignore the warning, the GM can then “punish” that player by taking control of their character to inflict minor damage, just as long as the character can recover. Further powergaming on an injured character’s part will warrant them being dealt a knockout blow.
  • GM Restrictions - Just as players can’t blatantly defeat a GM’s forces with ease, neither can the GM effortlessly counter every action by player characters. Players have as much right to shape a thread’s story as a GM does.
  • Posting Etiquette  - A player should not post more than 1 reply if they're waiting on a GM response to their prior post. While GMs should make every effort to wait for players, there will be times when they must keep a PvE going to prevent a thread from stagnating.
  • Dispute Resolution - If a dispute between players and a GM can’t be solved via OOC means, find a third-party staff member to act as an impartial arbitrator.

SCENARIO RULES: PLAYER VS. PLAYER

Spoiler
  • Participants - 1v1 or teams of equal size. Each player uses one character, with the possibility of each player controlling a selected number of NPCs.
  • Custom Rules - Before a PvP thread begins, the players must decide on the rules to follow. They must include, but don't have to be limited to, the following: character class assignments, mission objectives for each player, permissible damage, NPC strength on each side, and the number of rounds. These rules must be listed publicly somewhere for a judge to reference. Once a fight starts, the publically listed rules cannot be changed.
  • How Fights Happen -
  1. Round One, Introduction Posts: Each fighter may make an introduction post, which can be anything you want. They just have to end with the fight starting.
  2. Middle Rounds: Each fighter gets to make one fight post per round. Each post builds off of one another. Control of another character due to the length of the fight is a natural byproduct of this system, so it is important to remember that doing something that makes it nearly impossible for the other player to reply back is considered quite terrible form. While this is an IC competition, this is an OOC storytelling exercise.
  3. Final Round: Each fighter makes a single ending post, describing their character winning the fight. Both posts represent branching canon paths coming out of the next-to-final round and are not compatible. Do not respond to your opponent's Finale post.
  4. Checkpoint Round: If players plan on fighting for a long number of rounds, they can designate certain rounds as checkpoints, where judges can decide how the tide of battle turns. Other than that, Checkpoints work identically to a Final Round.
  5. After a Checkpoint or Final Round is finished, a winner will be chosen. Storytelling, post quality, and IC fight action will be taken into account. The chosen winner has his or her post chosen as the canon 'end' of the fight.
  • Judges - If your PvP needs a judge, let me know and I’ll assign an impartial third-party to choose a winner. No matter a fight’s outcome, please respect a judge’s decision. Also feel free to let me know if you’re up to being a judge.

------
ACTIVE THREADS

UDpQja7.png

As far as interest goes, I'd be game, 100%  In that time line, My OC's decision to travel to Equestria could have been BECAUSE of Sombras return, knowing that if he succeeds there, her homeland could be next.  Not an uncommon reason for individuals to volunteer for a war that isn't theirs to fight.

(Take Americans in WWII before we officially became part of it, individual soldiers/pilots volunteering to help the British)

And though her app states that until some time into her travels, she never heard of Equestria, word of a war like this would have surely spread rapidly.

As for ability, I won't know if I can until this coming Monday.

Yes, mind-controlled crystal ponies can be played. King Sombra needs somepony to talk to when taking breaks from battle, for one thing. :D

-------

When I get a chance, I'll start drafting up the rules. Since we'll be dealing with combat with this AU, it's important that all the groundwork gets established. Expect these rules to cover player vs. environment, player vs. player, and permissible content. Input from you guys is most encouraged. :)

Hrm... since this will involve possible PvP combat, would this also involve stats and possible dice rolls to determine who "wins", and therefor possible "Death", or otherwise elimination of participating players?

(I'm ALL for it if it does, just so you know)

Hmmm... maybe not go too far as death, as elimination of players would be quite a hard and bad for him. (This is no Fire emblem!)

Maybe change it to, pass out/be captured when defeated.

Well I only bring up stats and dice rolls as there has to be SOME way to determine the outcome of PvP combat.

I'm not real sure how it would work otherwise.  Though if a way can be found to do PvP without stats and dice rolls, I'm all for it.

For PvP, I was thinking of something along the lines of the Arena RPs:

1. Rules (permissible damage, allowed weapons, etc.)  decided upon by players before the PvP thread begins.
  2. Combat takes place over several rounds; one player-post per round.
  3. Players are allowed limited control over an enemy character to inflict minor damage, just so long as the enemy's able to realistically recover.
  4. For the final round, each player describes how their character wins the fight. A third-party judge then determines the winner (ie. the canon final post), based on criteria such as storytelling, post quality, and in-character fight action.
  5. ​OOC collaboration is essential throughout the entire process.

This system has worked pretty well on Canterlot so far. With maybe some minor adjustments, it can work out here too. ^_^

Hrm.  that could work.

On the forum I am coming here from, I ran a RP based on the Roleplaying is magic "Engine"

In order to adapt it to a forum, I ran the game mostly the same way as normal RP's are done, with combat being the primary thing that requires stats and a dice roll.  And to prevent the necessity of the forum supporting the dice rolls, I just handled them all myself, making it easier on the participants.  whenever someone made an action in their post that would rely on stats, I would roll dice myself to determine the outcome.  (Rather than actual dice, I used an app on my phone.  Works great.)  It's a little complicated to get used to, but when you get used to it, it's pretty easy.

Just throwing in my 2 bits here.  I'm going to read up on the arena link you posted and see how that would work.

If you'd like to see the RP I'm running with this, HERE is a link.  I'd like to think I did a fair job in adapting it for a forum.  Many of the posts don't require a "check", but some do.

Whichever way you decide to go with, I'm definitely interested if my classes don't get in the way.

Again, won't know until Monday.

Rules now posted for public comment:

GENERAL RULES

• Depicting Combat - Try to keep it PG-13 at most. Lord of the Rings-esque combat is perfectly acceptable, just don't get TOO graphic. If something graphic does happen, don't linger.
  • Artificial Appendages - Legs, wings, and horns that are lost in battle are replaceable with a prosthesis. Artificial wings and horns can work as effectively as the originals.
  • Max Tech Level - Anything that can be plausibly powered by magic or a steam engine is permissible, including metal-plated land vehicles, airships, and submarines. Just make sure that the tech is reasonably fantasy/steampunk. No electricity, internal combustion engines, airplanes, or other motor vehicles are allowed.
  • Allowed Weapons (Average Soldier) - The average soldier on both sides will lack the dexterity to wield a weapon in their hoof, hence their reliance on hoof-to-hoof combat, blunt objects, and limited magic. They will also be able to readily throw bottle-based potion bombs (think Molotov cocktails, but with potions).
  • Allowed Weapons (Elite Soldier) - Elite soldiers are permitted the use of blades, hoofheld bombs, ranged weaponry that doesn't use gunpowder, and advanced magic spells.
  • Artillery - Smoothbore, muzzle-loading cannons (like the Party Cannon) firing non-exploding projectiles are standard. Magically enchanted or potion-based ordinance has to be launched from a traditional siege engine.
  • Cast Restrictions - Since “Sombra War” is a sandbox for others, no player will have an exclusive right to use a particular cast character. However, cast have to stay true to their depictions in the “The Cutie Re-Mark” alternate future.
  • OOC Communication - Is essential to ensure that all combatant players are on the same page RP-wise.

SCENARIO RULES: PLAYER VS. GAMEMASTER

• Participants - A team of players versus one gamemaster (GM) or more.
  • GM Powers - GMs have the ability to control enemy NPCs and/or a hostile player character of their own as they see fit. Should a GM deem that a player is fighting a little too successfully (ie. powergaming) given the logical circumstances, they can first issue an OOC warning to tone down a player’s actions. Should that player ignore the warning, the GM can then “punish” that player by taking control of their character to inflict minor damage, just as long as the character can recover. Further powergaming on an injured character’s part will warrant them being dealt a knockout blow.
  • GM Restrictions - Just as players can’t blatantly defeat a GM’s forces with ease, neither can the GM effortlessly counter every action by player characters. Players have as much right to shape a thread’s story as a GM does.
  • Dispute Resolution - If a dispute between players and a GM can’t be solved via OOC means, find a third-party staff member to act as an impartial arbitrator.

SCENARIO RULES: PLAYER VS. PLAYER

• Participants - 1v1 or teams of equal size. Each player uses one character, with the possibility of each player controlling a selected number of NPCs.
  • Custom Rules - Before a PvP thread begins, the players must decide on the rules to follow. They must include, but aren’t limited to, mission objectives for each player, permissible damage, allowed weapons and/or NPCs, and the number of rounds. These rules must be listed publicly somewhere for a judge to reference. Once a fight starts, the publically listed rules cannot be changed.
  • How Fights Happen -

1. Round One, Introduction Posts: Each fighter may make an introduction post, which can be anything you want. They just have to end with the fight starting.
  2. Middle Rounds: Each fighter gets to make one fight post per round. Each post builds off of one another. Control of another character due to the length of the fight is a natural byproduct of this system, so it is important to remember that doing something that makes it nearly impossible for the other player to reply back is considered quite terrible form. While this is an IC competition, this is an OOC storytelling exercise.
  3. Final Round: Each fighter makes a single ending post, describing their character winning the fight. Both posts represent branching canon paths coming out of the next-to-final round and are not compatible. Do not respond to your opponent's Finale post.
  4. Checkpoint Round: If players plan on fighting for a long number of rounds, they can designate certain rounds as checkpoints, where judges can decide how the tide of battle turns. Other than that, Checkpoints work identically to a Final Round.
  5. After a Checkpoint or Final Round is finished, a winner will be chosen. Storytelling, post quality, and IC fight action will be taken into account. The chosen winner has his or her post chosen as the canon 'end' of the fight.

• Judges - If your PvP needs a judge, let me know and I’ll assign an impartial third-party to choose a winner. No matter a fight’s outcome, please respect a judge’s decision. Also feel free to let me know if you’re up to being a judge.

With "Allowed Weapons", what determines if a soldier is "Elite" or "Average"?

Player preference, basically. It's an option for those who like the "slappy fights" seen on the show but not actual weapons. But since the old Canterlot Chronicles section had always been lenient with weaponry, I don't want RPers to be stuck with one option or the other.

Might be a good idea to keep the distinction of elite and average in your hands. This has multiple salient advantages:

1- We don't have far too much focus on super duper elites as opposed to regular forces.

2- We keep things balanced.

3- The RPs don't just revolve around being teh bestest.

Having said that, thoughts on weaponry and 'classes': Have three.

Militia/Militia type. Civilian ponies brought to arms. Weapons are basic- hoof held, simple weapons or they are part of emplaced 'teams'. Example: Spear ponies, or a bunch of ponies who take certain elements of the operation of, say, a large magical ballista. Simple things. You shouldn't have to apply or do anything special here, this is simply what your character would be doing if they are involved in any battle and they aren't in the military.

Regular/Average type. They can have armor, hoof to hoof training, swords, different weapons depending on what exactly their unit does. Better versions of what the militia has among other thing. You should have to app for this, and as long as you're in the military and are doing what you should be doing in terms of that, it works.

Elite: Firearms that are magic (non-gunpowder), steampowered stuff, metal wings- best of the best stuff you can find in this setting. People can do so, but it needs to be app'd, needs to be to be really good stuff- and you need to directly say yes.

Archived