Fire and Sword - PvE OOC (UPDATE 1/19 - RP is Live)

Bellosh

“In war, courage is tested not by a desire to fight, but by sacrificing to save others.”    

SOMBRA WAR: FIRE AND SWORD

TOTAL WAR! With much of Equestria’s army defending Canterlot from relentless enemy assault, too few ponies remain to keep watch on the countryside. Intent on depriving Equestria of land to grow food, King Sombra deploys raiders to kidnap civilians as slaves and burn everything else in their path. In the secluded valley of Summer Springs, a small band of soldiers is the only thing standing between a peaceful village and complete devastation. This under-strength force must hold out long enough for reinforcements to arrive.....

3f1i0UV.jpg?1

------

Welcome to the first of what is hopefully many Sombra War AU threads. For this initial PvE confrontation, a team of up to six players must defend a Solstice Heights village and its ponies against a marauding party of Crystal Legionnaires. I shall personally assume the role of Gamemaster, while Rarity will utilize Alexandrite Tilt in his capacity as Deputy Gamemaster.

Presenting our PvE Team:

• Lt. Col. Arcus
  • Battlemage Sparkle - ADVISOR
  • SSgt. Reveille
  • SAP Fire Walker - COMMANDER
  • Dunder Blust
  • Naj (on loan from the Changeling Kingdom)

As the Team Commander possesses the rank of lieutenant colonel, Arcus is entitled to use a NPC battalion comprised of the following elements, which he can deploy as he sees fit:

• 1 line company of 80 soldiers, wielding melee weapons
  • 1 skirmisher company of 60 archers
  • 1 artillery battery of 4 smoothbore cannons
  • 1 HQ company of 80 staff personnel
  • Under Naj's command, 1 section of 18 changelings loyal to Chrysalis

For those of you I select, be sure to brush up on the Sombra War Lore & Rules thread. Meet ya’ all on the battlefield!

RP LINK: http://www.canterlot.com/topic/22037-sombra-war-fire-and-sword-closed/

• Link to Character App: Twilight Sparkle
  • Rank/Position: Battlemage Colonel
  • Approx. Length of Time Served in Combat: Only a few months, though her training under Celestia has been extensive- continued under the Battlemage school once war began.
  • Summary of How Character’s Changed in the Sombra War Timeline: Twilight never left Canterlot, and Nightmare Moon's return never took place due to Celestia's belief that the time had not come for the Elements of Harmony to reassemble under anypony but her. Has served as an ever faithful student, learning magic only Celestia herself could have hoped to equal. Once war began, turned her attentions entirely to what magic and science could do. Hoped to spend more time creating new weapons of war and new magics to defeat Sombra, but demands of the field have called her away.

She is polite and well-meaning enough, but never developed anything close to the personable mare we know today. Is close to nopony in particular, with events in the Empire likely removing her brother. Never met Spike. Never met her friends. More devoted to her magic and inventions than to any one pony besides Celestia. Considered one of Celestia's most powerful weapons, until recently concealed, though Twilight thinks that is silly. No one pony can ever hope to change history.

Approx. Length of Time Served in Combat: ~3 Moons

Summary of How Character’s Changed in the Sombra War Timeline: Before this point, Dunder has had the luxury of misbehaving in the REA. Though excelling in combat, he always had problems with authority which kept him out of ever officially joining. When Sombra's armies rose from the north, Dunder had no choice but to re-enlist with a more even head. As a result of joining for a the war, he never grew out of his timid, quiet beginnings. As his home town, Solstice Heights, came closer to the frontlines Dunder managed to get transferred there to defend his hometown and family. Helped, of course, by his cooking skills. What could make a pony fight harder than defending his home, afterall?

Link to Character App: http://www.canterlot.com/topic/21590-arcus-ready/

Rank/Position: Lieutenant Colonel, Markspony

Approx. Length of Time Served in Combat: Has served extensively, having been originally assigned on defensive assignments before the war, and offensive assignments during it.

Summary of How Character’s Changed in the Sombra War Timeline: Arcus was never inspired. He joined the REA because his parents did, not because he wanted to. He rarely sees them. He rarely smiles. Has basically devoted his life to the military, and transformed his days into a training schedule. Was called to the battlefield almost as soon as the war began, and now lives his daily life in the life-threatening conditions.

Battle-scarred and tired, Arcus knows how many are falling. He finds the times too serious to be casual, and as such, has not developed the laid-back, friendly attitude that he was originally known for. He has few, if any friends, considering his bow as one of the only things he can depend on in the dark, dreary battlefields of the war. Friends, bah...

Why would you keep something you know you're going to lose?

Link to Character App:  http://www.canterlot.com/topic/20824-darkness-knight-ready/

Rank/Position: Recruit.

Approx. Length of Time Served in Combat: He joined the army a few days after the war started, but had previous experiences in combat and armed training.

Summary of How Character’s Changed in the Sombra War Timeline: His town was one of the first places to be attacked, and barely managed to escape intacto, heading south. In order to avenge the capture of his family, he joined the REA to be able to fight for them and free them when they win the war.

He is more relentless than he could had been if the war never started, and it is hard for him to get attached with somepony. He saw great prize on the princess as she lead Equestria, becoming a small fan of her and becoming loyal only to her.

He knows friends are important to keep, but he usually fears loosing them, so he refrains from making them at all, for fear to be hurt if he could never see them again.

Link to Character App: Reveille

Rank/Position: Staff Sergeant/ Squad Leader and Grenadier

Approx. Length of Time Served in Combat: 15+ years of various deployments and engagements

Summary of How Character’s Changed in the Sombra War Timeline:

Reveille, in this time line, never EVER had a defensive mindset. A good defense is a relentless offense! Instead of going to the law enforcement battalion for his initial tour of duty, he recieved training as a grenadier, his Earth Pony strength allowing him to throw hard and far. Throughout his time with the Army, he's fought Diamond Dogs, Dragons, Changelings, Buffalo, Caribou, and other malcontents of the Equestrian royalty. Of course, his 'leading the charge' attitude has given him a fair amount of scars. He lost his front right leg to a Buffalo charge, replaced with a steam-powered prosthetic, burn scars on the right side of his face from a dragon, and the tip of his left ear bitten off by a Changeling. He's not the prettiest sight in the Army, but he's got the attitude to match his grizzled looks. His courage in numerous engagements has made him a recipient of the Equestrian Cross, which he wears proudly around his neck with his battered NCO's armor.  Rather than the cautious Drill Instructor, Reveille is a cigar-chomping, grenade-hucking, bad-mouthing, hard-charging squad leader who, unable to fight in his constantly besieged home of Stalliongrad, is ready to tear the Dark King a new one.

Hmmm..... as long as your OC is subordinate to my NPC commander (at least for this scenario), I suppose I can take you on as my assistant GM. As such, your legionnaire won't be added to the official tally of selected player characters.

Sounds cool to me.

• Link to Character App: http://www.canterlot.com/topic/14787-alexandrite-tilt-ready/
  • Rank/Position: one of Sombra's top enforcers.
  • Approx. Length of Time Served in Combat: She's trained in combat as a champion jouster since she was a small filly. She's trained as a crystal guard since she was a young mare. She fought against Sombra and his forces when they seized control 1000 years ago and again upon his return. Since being brought under Sombra's control there have been few battlefields where she hasn't been a looming presence, feared by those who would resit her king.
  • Summary of How Character’s Changed in the Sombra War Timeline: Upon the empire's return, most of the crystal ponies were still afflicted by the curse, memories addled and spirits depleted. Alexa, who was uncommon in both fortitude and resolve, was among the few who was able to recover herself in time. She did her best to rally her fellows as the king encroached, and lead a desperate charge to see the king vanquished. Her and everyone involved were brutally crushed. She was thrown into a dungeon, where Sombra tortured and toyed with her, seeing her fiery will shattered in the process. When the time came for him to construct his army, she was then dragged out as an example as one of the first to be fitted with armor. Her armor is somewhat different from the standard--pitch black in color and trimmed with blood red. She lacks the usual helmet of his soldiers as well, having instead just a brace formed of a couple black plates covering her neck and jaw. This is because, she has not been robbed entirely of her free will and made a mere puppet for Sombra to control. Due to her vast experience, she has instead been warped, twisted and influenced into a loyal subject who can lead Sombra's forces on the front lines against any who might oppose him.

• Link to Character App:Fire Walker

• Rank/Position: Senior Air-Pony

Approx. Length of Time Served in Combat:Fire Walker and the rest of her family are all R.E.A ponies. She joined after graduating high-school. So she has been involved in the war since day one.

Summary of How Character’s Changed in the Sombra War Timeline:Unlike the Fire Walker of the main timeline, Fire had never left the R.E.A in any-form. She avoided becoming an officer to stay on the front-lines. Without the break from service, she never got to bond with her sister Wind Walker or even fall in love with a certain Dunder Blust. So she's not the kind, calm mare she was in the other time-line. However, she has hope that the Crystal Ponies will soon be freed from Sombra's control for good. No matter what it takes!

ANNOUNCEMENT: Looks like there's quite a bit of interest in this PvE. For any others who want a chance to get in on the action, you have til 11PM tomorrow Pacific Time to post your character information. Once I close applications, I'll then make my player selections. Don't worry if your character doesn't get picked this time around; more PvE and PvP threads for the Sombra War AU will come. ^_^

Link to Character App: Naj

Rank/Position: Tunnel Guard (on loan)

Approximate Length of Time Served in Combat: Has spent almost half of her life as a guard in the Changeling Kingdom, although active combat in such a position was intermittent, often with long breaks in between.  She only recently joined the war itself, however.

Summary of How the Character Has Changed in the Sombra Timeline: In this timeline, Naj's exile did not last long.  With the outbreak of the war, there was a need for more soldiers within the Changeling Kingdom, and as an available asset Naj was swiftly recovered and returned to her original position.  That did not last long either.  As the war went on, she joined a number of volunteers who recognized that the war jeopardized the changelings' primary food source, recognized that the war would eventually come to their doorstep, or both.  These individuals left to fight under and alongside the REA, to prevent the war from coming home.

Naj's biggest personal change is that in this timeline, while she has a few doubts for the most part she remains loyal to her queen, and has not yet had the time to form lasting relationships with any Equestrians.

Alright folks, here's the announcement y'all been waiting for. Presenting our PvE Team:

• Lt. Col. Arcus - COMMANDER
  • Battlemage Sparkle - ADVISOR
  • SSgt. Reveille
  • SAP Fire Walker
  • Dunder Blust
  • Naj (on loan from the Changeling Kingdom)

As the Team Commander possesses the rank of lieutenant colonel, Arcus is entitled to use a NPC battalion comprised of the following elements, which he can deploy as he sees fit:

• 1 line company of 80 soldiers, wielding melee weapons
  • 1 skirmisher company of 60 archers and ranged spell-casters
  • 1 artillery battery of 4 smoothbore cannons
  • 1 HQ company of 80 staff personnel

As per the Class Rules, I nominate Battlemage Sparkle and SSgt. Reveille for Elite-status. Do the rest of the REA team members endorse my nominations?

---------

@Derp: After conferring with our Queen Chrysalis RPer, it is our determination that Chryssy herself aligns with Equestria against Sombra. Something about protecting her Hive's food supply from being tainted..... XD

@Prince: We've got another PvE thread coming that I'm letting you in on. You'll receive details sometime in the near future. ;)

I am fine with those two being declared elites.

And yeah, I tried to leave it kind of open, so that there was option as to whether it was endorsed or just tolerated within the setting.  It's nice to have a concrete answer.

I am fine with those two being declared elites.

And yeah, I tried to leave it kind of open, so that there was option as to whether it was endorsed or just tolerated within the setting.  It's nice to have a concrete answer.

BTW, since Raj has served Chrysalis for many years, I've given her a detachment of 18 changeling NPCs for her to command. Use them wisely; your team will need them.....  :mad:

Weeeeell, since Twi is... Well, Twilight Sparkle, and since Reveille is... Okay, my mind says "pony Captain America". Yeah, we'll go with that, thank you, brain!

I'm up for them being elites.

On a different note, however, I'd like Arcus to be last in the posting order, if that's okay with everybody? I want to give everyone a chance to get their characters established, before Arcus goes to position everything up. =)

After hearing IM feedback from Magi, I think we should see if the other teammates would be more comfortable with posting after Arcus. Some players might prefer their commander setting things into motion first in order to better establish their characters.

Archived