[Skype] A Blaze of Righteous Meetings -

Zeig

- That Somehow Ended in an Equally Righteous Dinner Date

MRxf2Yw.png

-----------------

The canterlot's castle. Home of the two Alicorn princesses of Equestria, as well as the location of the barracks of the royal guards around Equestria. In here, ponies go to join and train for any of the two mayor sections of the REA. The royal guards, or the night guards.

Darkness, a big grey pegasus with a dark mane and tail, was training with some other night guards at the side of the castle, in the training grounds. He was just a recruit, so he was training. He joined not so long ago, and was still under training, but he had high hopes of going up in ranks.

-----------------

Everything ached.

His muscles ached, his legs ached, his neck - in fact, he would swear on Celestia's throne that his eyebrows were aching. The days training had been just as rigorous, intense, and arduous as every single day before it.

And he loved every. Single. Moment.

Training in the REA had, just as he'd hoped, tempered the uncontrollable lust for battle his spear hoof had near every second of the day, taming it to a more reasonable urge to see justice done every other minute or so. Still, even with the intense training that had him sore and tired by the day's end, Dawnguard couldn't help but stare out over the towers of Canterlot, feeling his hoof that was holding his spear twitch slightly as he just imagined what sort of glorious battles his fellow REA members were engaging in at that very moment.

Right on cue, a shiver passed through his right foreleg. "Down, spear hoof," Dawnguard chided, a gentle breeze pulling stray strands of his mane into the mysterious wind, "the evils of Equestria shall not be long for this world...they will all bend before the mighty fury of the dawn."

...Eventually. At least after his belly stopped growling, which meant that, instead of satiating his cavernous well of wrong-doers being brought to light, he would first satiate his empty belly. A hero had to eat, after all!

With that, the white Pegasus pulled away from the battlements to glide off to one side, intent on passing over the training field to drop in on one of the many establishments worthy of fulfilling the ravenous hunger of a hero. Before he could get more than a few meters down from his height however, something caught his eyes, causing the Pegasus to pull up abruptly with a short gasp.

The ponies training in the yard below him were similar in appearance, and stature...but their armor! Those that were wearing armor wore metals that were dark in color, fathomless obsidian spiraling downwards to suck in all the light. Dawnguard knew, instinctively, that he was watching the Night Guard, or at least some of them, during a training session, and despite a protestation from his stomach, he couldn't help touching down at the edge of the field.

Though he didn't stay there for long.

"'Ho, fellow warrior!" Dawnguard called out as he trot forward, sticking out like a sore hoof against the muted and darkened ponies all around him. The Pegasus wasn't at all bothered however, coming up to the nearest stallion, a great grey fellow who seemed focused on his training. "You are truly impressive, almost as much as I! Pray tell me, to what division do you belong?"

-----------------

Darkness was having a training fight with another guard. He was skilled with swords and shields, but he was only fighting with his sword. At closer inspection, the pegasus had scratches arouns his body but chest, even one crossing his left eye.
The fight ended up in a tie, but it was clear he had sort of an advantage. He smiled and cleaned the sweat out of his forehead, his hooves aching.
He heard another pony and turned around, seeing a day guard walk towards them. He seemed nice.
"Hello there~" he said to the stallion. He had a deep and calm voice.
He streatched his hoof and shook his.
"Night guards, main division." He said smiling to him. Most ponies were in that one, and he was between the reserves of them, but still a recruit.

-----------------

So he had been correct after all! Of course - the instincts of an Avenger of Riptide Justice such as himself were rarely wrong about these sorts of things.

"Well met, my most impressive friend," Dawnguard crowed, shaking the proffered hoof with a quick up-down. He used his left hoof however, rather than his right - such power in his spear hoof could not be unleashed on an unsuspecting stallion. "I am Pvt. First Class Dawnguard, Solar Guard, Dispenser of Justice and Bringer of Despair to All Who Follow the Path of Evil!"

And also the Water Colt from time to time, but that was neither then nor now.

"And you?" the white Pegasus continued, ignoring the other night guards to focus on the warrior in front of him. "What gallant titles to the citizens of Equestria bestow upon you?"

-----------------

"Recruit Darkness Knight." He replied smiling, then shrugged a bit in embarrasment. "I... don't have titles like you and others though..." he said a bit embarrased. "Though a few guard call me the shield of the night, thanks to my skills with the shield." He said feeling less embarrased. "And because I only use heavy plate armor" he added.

Darkness noticed he used his left hoof for the shake, so he did the same. Darkness didn't seemed that strong like the Dawnguard, but apperances coud be deceiving.

-----------------

Dawnguard was surprised for all of a second - an obvious warrior like the Pegasus in front of him, with no title that signified his valor and prowess in combat? Not everypony was a chosen Avatar of the Dawn, of course not, but to have nothing at all? Madness!

The other Pegasus soon cleared up the issue however, causing a relieved smile to break over Dawnguard's face. "HA HA, you almost had me, Recruit Knight!" the Pegasus bellowed, sitting down on his haunches as he adjusted his spear to rest propped against his shoulder. "Because you see, a stallion such as yourself is clearly a worthy adversary to any evil-doer attempting to wrong the rights of Equestria. And any worthy adversary needs a title befitting them!"

How else was a guard suppose to ignite fear and terror in the hearts of those who sought Equestria's destruction?

"So...a master of the shield, eh?" Dawnguard questioned, though he didn't really expect an answer. "I, myself, favor the the ever faithful spear in battle." The Pegasus pulled his right hoof up towards his face, curled into a loose roll as his head bowed slightly. "For my ever mighty spear hoof constantly seeks to amend the injustices thrust upon the innocent. So, much, raw fury...sometimes I can hardly contain it! You know," the white stallion continued, head whipping back up to face the night guard, "you understand the responsibility of containing such a great power! I can see it in your eyes...we are kindred spirits, the two of us!"

-----------------

darkness smiled at all what he said. He was starting to like this guy, though all that bringer of justice and stuff could get annoying at some point, it was somewhat silly for him, and inspiring. Dawnguard had a really clear goal, and he respected that.
"Yes, indeed we are." Darkness replied smiling. "I serve to protect others with my shield from the heatred." He added smorking softly. "Perhaps one day we could out our skills at practice." He added, wishing he could see him in action.

-----------------

Ah-hah, yes! A kindred spirit, indeed!

"Perhaps one day we shall," Dawnguard was quick to agree, feeling a thrill of pleasure course through him. Shield and armor bypassing had yet to be throughly covered in his training - it would be a challenge indeed to learn from a master of the art himself! "I would even suggest having at it now, but alas," Dawnguard curled his right hoof in front of his face again, expression darkening a bit, "'twould be disastrous, letting loose the broiling energy residing in my spear hoof right now."

Yes...a disaster of truly Tirek-sized proportions. Righteous fury needed to be controlled at all times, even when it felt close to bursting forth in a fiery blaze of Avenging...Avengness.

Even if he hadn't been focusing on controlling his twitching spear hoof, Dawngaurd's stomach chose that moment to rumble again, startling the white Pegasus into forgetting everything but the gnawing emptiness that was his stomach. "Hrk," he groaned, his spear faltering a bit as he clutched a foreleg around his midsection, "I forgot - food! I haven't eaten in days," Dawnguard moaned.

-----------------

Darkness noticed his hoof as he spoke. "Seems that you over exhausted yourself." Darkness said. He sighed and walked over to the side, then took a first aid kit.
"Here, this will help..." he said as he used some bandages to make presure in his hooves so they hurt less. "Something I do when I train to much." He said smiling to him, then heard what he said at the end.
"Hmmm... I hadn't eaten also. Shall we go together to eat?" He asked smiling.

-----------------

Ah yes, he had -

Wait, what?

"Wuh, i-it's not..." Dawnguard trailed off, bemused, as Darkness walked off to retrieve what looked like a first aid kit from the side of the training field. Exhausted himself?...well yes, he'd worked particularly hard at training today. He'd been in top form, the energy coursing through him like frenzied lightning charges across the sky...but he hadn't though he'd exhausted himself, not really.

It wasn't until the other Pegasus had wrapped up his spear hoof in bandages, though, that Dawnguard realized he'd been misunderstood for having an injury. By then it was already done, causing the white Pegasus to start at the sudden offer to eat together with his fellow warrior. "Ah...ah, yes, food would be good," Dawnguard supplied, heaving himself onto his hooves.

Hmm. Perhaps the bandages would help control the raging lust for Justice his spear hoof held.

"Where to, my insightful friend?" the white Pegasus cried, perking back up as he spread his wings. "Someplace with good food and a cold brew, to satiate the raging fire for Good that sings through the blood of heroes within me!"

-----------------

Darkness smiled when he accepted. "I know a place outside of the castle that we can go, they usually do discount to guards." He said smiling to him aa he let the kit at a side.
"Oh, and you should keep moving your hoof constantly. It will keep it warm and it wont hurt anymore. The bandages will also help with that." He said with a grin as he walked to a side of him.
"I will lead the way, just follow me." He then added once he was by his side.

-----------------

Hmm, yes, the bandages were fairly warm, and quite comfo - wait no, that wasn't the point!

"I uh, think you've misunderstood, my fairly astute stallion," Dawnguard said a bit gingerly, not wanting to offend his newfound companion, "I have not sustained an injury - though you may think it! No, this," the Pegasus explained, waving his bandaged spear hoof around a bit, "my mighty spear hoof, could not be so easily rendered by a little training!"

Never mind that one time a Timberwolf had bitten it, hard. Or the time he'd been so exhausted from training he'd fallen flat on his face and twisted the hoof he'd thrown out to save himself. Or that time -

"No, my spear hoof twitches from the relentless power surging within," Dawnguard continued, pulling said hoof closer to his chest. "If such power were to be released against any except the forces of evil...woe to anyone whose caught in its path of sheer, unending, POWER. And AWESOME."

Well, that was cleared up - buuuut, the bandages were rather comfy, he'd keep them on just a little longer.

"Then lead on, Sir Knight!" Dawnguard demanded, eager grin on his face, spreading his wings once more. "Lead us into the vast night sky, littered with the glittering hopes and dreams of Equestria's citizens, so that we may discover our destiny!"

"The destiny of our dinner!"

-----------------

Darkness looked over to him when he started speaking at first. So... he could barely control his spear hoof? That was... rather interesting. "Oh. alright. I will keep that in mind then." He said with a soft smile to him, then heard his explanation of why it moved like it did.
He chuckled softly at what he said at the end and smirked at that. "Is that so? That really sounds amazing." He said chuckling some more. All this was somewhat silly, mostly for how he was saying it, but as an experienced fighter, he knew he should not risk it, at least until they were training.
"Now, lets go. I am quite hungry as well." He said shortly after he heard his stomach growl.
He smiled and lead him out of the castle, towards the city itself.

-----------------

Ho ho, a fellow warrior indeed! Dawnguard could hear it in his voice - Darkness knew the struggles of keeping ones righteous fury in constraints all the time. A heavy burden and great responsibility...but for the good of Equestria, nothing was too great!

Save an empty stomach.

"Whew! You're telling me," the white Pegasus commiserated as he flew behind the dark grey Pegasus, feeling his stomach let out another rumbling groan of hunger, "I feel I could eat an entire wheat field!" The glistening buildings of Canterlot seemed to fairly shine under the rising moonlight, causing Dawnguard to squint a bit against their luminescence. "Pray tell, what bounty will we partake in this establishment of yours? Two warriors such as ourselves need sustenance fit for a Princess!"

-----------------

"Oh, dont worry about that, they have a bit of everything, so you can choose what you wish." Darkness replied smiling as he flew by his side. He smiled at how the city looked at this time of the day, it was.., amazing.

Darkness seemed also rather fast, as he sometimes flew infront of him without noticing, but always slowed down so he could catch up.
"Tell me, what made you become a guard?" He then asked as he turned to him. He was getting interested on him.

-----------------

The idle flight over the gleaming city was soothing on the raging fury broiling in his spear hoof, calming it to a rippling murmur as Dawnguard followed behind his companion. He didn't bother flying any faster than his current speed to catch up whenever the grey Pegasus started pulling ahead, no - this serene glide was perfect as is.

Darkness spoke up however, explaining a veritable banquet of foods to choose from, causing Dawnguard's stomach to give another hungry rumble. Ah, most excellent...the cucumber and mulberry sandwiches would be the first to be devoured, followed by an orange scone or two.

Or six.

The white Pegasus was momentarily distracted from his thoughts when Darkness began talking again, causing Dawnguard to perk up in interest. "When the blood of heroes flows in one's veins," the stallion said enigmatically, "'tis only natural to take up one's spear and render the blackened void of evil in 'twain! And what of you, my grey feathered friend? Did you also feel the call of righteous justice as a babe? Fated to ward off the evils of the world from the moment of your birth!"

-----------------

Darkness smiled at when he asked him why he joined. "Well, sort of." he said smiling to him. "I... come from out of Equestria, from a rich family, and came to Canterlot to become a knight, but well, since nopony is a knight anymore, I joined the guards. I felt that I could do more by helping others being one than doing nothing from where I live." He explained to Dawngaurd with a soft smile as he lead him around. "And...a more personal reason..." he said as he looked away, with a shy smile and blushing slightly, he then realized what he said and blushed more, looking away.

"Uhm... sorry..." he said, embarrassed before regaining his composure. Ahhh! He had screwed it up! It was supposed to be a secret! How did he planned doing it if he just told somepony he just met! He shook his head and facehoofed, still embarrassed, before calming down and sighing. "Just... sometimes happens..." he then added

-----------------

Dawnguard had been right, it seemed. Unsurprising, given the obvious kindred Avenger of Righteousness that was flying beside him, but it still felt good to hear it out loud, causing the white Pegasus to nod along with other stallion's words.

Yes...yes. A passion for knighthood in all but name, a desire to bring peace and joy to Equestria, the will to fight the never-ending maelstrom of Good vs Evil - there was probably a prophesied destiny to find a legendary weapon of some sort, thrown in there. All signs of a great hero, signs that he himself shared. Indeed, his instincts had been most correct! A personal reason that resulted in blushes as fierce as the unrelenting sun above to -

Wait, what?

"Er, what was that last part?..." Dawnguard asked a bit hesitantly, though he really needn't have - the red spreading clear across the grey Pegasus' face was all the answer he needed, resulting in Dawnguard's eyes narrowing curiously on the other stallion. "Come come, we are all heroes here! No need to be shy my companion, speak your mind!"

-----------------

"Uhm... nothing! I... didn't said anything about doing it for somepo-! Ahhh!" Darkness started saying before interrupting himself mid sentence realizing what he was saying. Why was so easy let out those silly things that easily with him?! Just why?! Ahh! He felt like dying in that very moment.
He sighed and looked at him, not wanting to say more as the blush in his face became stronger and brighter before looking away. "I... er..." he started saying, embarrase.
He shook his head and facehoofed again, his feeling going wild here and there, not able to control them at all.

-----------------

Hmm.

Perhaps this was a point of sore contention for his fellow guardian of Equestria, or maybe one that had hurt him in some way, an aching wound on the very marrow of his soul. An embarrassing anecdote? A memory of happier days? An emerging spirit of Righteous Fury that was slowly encompassing every core of his being until it was liable to be unleashed upon Equestria in a torrent of star-hewed victory?!

What?! He had to know!

"Now hold one moment!" Dawnguard demanded, swiftly flying directly in front of the other Pegasus to bring him to a stop, mid-air. "These feelings you have...whatever such passion your are containing, you must control it! The blood of heroes is responsible for containing the righteous wrath of justice within ourself - our destined burdened!" Here, the white Pegasus crossed his forelegs in a considering manner, spear balanced in one crook of his legs. "But you, my friend...your passion is so great I can feel it bubbling under your skin! You must control it, yes...but to speak of it, might help you obtain that control. To overcome your weakness, you must face it, say it out loud!"

And now he was insanely curious. What was it already?!

-----------------

Darkness looked at him, unsure what to say or add regarding all this, tell him what was in his mind, what was making him go al this crazy? He doubted he can do it, and at the same time doubted he could retain is a secret for much more. How did thing escalated to this? Just... how? They were supposed to just go and eat, not tell him his main source of inspiration to push himself up every single day... she...

"I..." He nodded, understanding why he said that and took a deep breath. He closed his eyes and hold the breath for a small while to calm down before releasing it. "It... is a secret... so you must not tell anypony..." Darkness first said to Dawnguard. "Promise me that..." he added as he felt somewhat better.

"The real reason I joined... is for a mare... to be closer and have a chance with her..." he said as he looked away, landing on a nearby cloud to be able to tell him without making any incidents. "And... that is..." he blushed heavily and closed his eyes somewhat fiercely before saying it. "... Princess Luna!" he said, clearly embarrassed for telling him, he knew it was a foolish dream, as she was an Alicorn and he a small pegasus guard, but he could dream...

-----------------

This was, quite clearly, a very important subject for the grey Pegasus, and a hero such as himself knew the importance of confidence. "On my oath, Darkness Knight," Dawnguard pledged, crossing his left foreleg across the chestplate of his mail, "not a word of your confession will pass my lips, even if Taurtarus itself arose to pry them from me!"

He wasn't sure if it was his words or the other Pegasus' own breaking point that finally allowed him to relent, leading the duo to a nearby cloud so the grey stallion could presumably find a steady surface beneath his hooves. Despite himself, Dawnguard couldn't help but lean forward a bit expectantly as he waited with bated breath, inquisitive beyond the sun itself to the nature of Darkness immense embarrassment and passion for Equestria.

And waited.

And waited some more, until Dawngaurd was forced to realize that he hadn't misheard - allowing a few scant seconds to pass by in silence, before he tilt his head to one side. "Well yes, I mean. That's also a pretty natural reason," he stated slowly, confusion evident in his voice. "Love for one's Princess and kingdom is a fine reason to join the guard. But come now, tell me! What's the real reason? I mean, the reason that flows within you, that ignites your hero's blood! The one that told you, in your deepest heart of hearts, that you were required to - no, destined to become a guard!"

-----------------

"No, you don't understand. SHE is the reason!" Darkness replied to Dawnguard when he spoke again, thinking he was talking about loving them in a way a subject loves the good leader. "I mean it. I love her with all my heart..." He said as he shrugged in embarrassment and looked way. "...she is the reason I joined. So... I could defend her and be with her..." he said in a small sad and embarrassed tone

"I rally want to defend Equestria and it's citizens, but... she is even more important for me." he added with a sigh. He was getting somewhat against telling him, but it was too late, he already told him. He just hoped he could keep it a secret, and seeing how he was, he knew he would do it. "You...are the first pony I ever told that..." he then added in a low tone.

-----------------

MRxf2Yw.png

-----------------

Oh.

...Oh.

For all his training and superior reflexes against the underhoofed trickery of dastardly villains, Dawnguard was...taken aback.

Foals often proclaimed their love for a Princess they'd never met or even seen before, simply by virtue of their Princesshood, and it wasn't uncommon for a guard member to get just a bit wistful when they spoke of their beloved rules. But never had Dawnguard heard a pony speak so...passionately about one of their Princesses, citing her as his very reason for joining the army.

"A-ah, I see," the white Pegasus mustered after a while, speaking slowly and very carefully. This was, clearly, a sensitive subject to the grey stallion, who seemed to disprove his need to let out this confession at all. "You have, met Princess Luna then?" he continued onward, modulating his tone into what he hoped was an inquisitive and friendly venture, "forged a bond that created such...willful, fiery passion within you?"

-----------------

"I..." he nodded. "I had spoken with her several times, but only as a guard..." he said as he sighed and sat down on the cloud he was on, his ears moving down.
"Still... I..." he shook his head. "Is still just a silly dream..." he said sighing again.
"I dont want to fill you with my personal stuff." He then said as he looked at him.
A guard and a princess, if this was a fairy tail, he would get her at the end, but this is not one. He was crazy for her, and his loyalty was only towards her.

-----------------

Dawnguard was at a loss, truly, and slowly sat himself down on the cloud as his grey companion seemed to veritably wither before his eyes, ears hanging limp against his head. Just as before, it was clear that Darkness was being entirely honest and sincere, and the white Pegasus honestly didn't know what to say to that.

What he could say? A love born from a few words and spare glances? A few short meetings of business with no feelings involved? What could he possibly -

...Oh. OH, oh course, it was so simple!

"So it is True Love that spurs you onward!" Dawnguard proclaimed, leaping back onto his hooves in amazement, "a yearning that has only been seen from afar, but burned into the very core of your being! For what other reason could you be so hopelessly besotted with the Princess who cleaves the night sky in 'twain, if not for True Love's power coursing within you!"

The white Pegasus could hardly believe why he hadn't thought of it sooner, but the answer was so obvious that every hero's tale in Equestrian history pointed towards it. What else could explain why a stallion, who'd only spoken to his fated mare a mere hoofful of times, would fall so deeply and perilously in love, if not for the hooves of time having fated such feelings from the beginning?

It was the only explanation that made sense!

-----------------

"T-true love?" Darkness asked, somewhat surprised by that. "I..." he gave a small smile. "Perhaps it is, but she is an Alicorn. I will never have a chace with her." he added, a sad smile in his face, but clearly feeling better for letting it out.
"Anyways, lets go and eat, I am quite hungry." he added smiling as he got ready to fly off. "Thank you..." he finally added before flying off towards the city.

After a few moments, they arrived to a restaurant, somewhat fancy, yet not that much. Perfect for them. Inside where several ponies, some off duty guards, eating quite the variety of food. It went from elaborated salads for wealthier ponies, to simple hay burgers. They had a lot of stuff to offer.

-----------------

"W-well, yes, that's..." Dawnguard trailed off uncertainly, but didn't bother finishing his sentence as Darkness thanked him before resuming flight down into Canterlot. The sight made him a bit sad.

After all, the power of True Love was a force to be reckoned with. It brought those fated to be together with one another, gave a pony the fury and energy of the wildest of maelstroms in battle - it withstood the test of time itself, a force beyond the realm mere mortals could even hope to conquer!...But when one of the pair was an Alicorn Princess, well...True Love was powerful, but circumstances in each lifetime hindered the hero to Taurtarus and beyond. Such was a simple fact of their world, woebegone and cloaked in the shadows of evil that dared interfered with good.

Ah well. Perhaps one day...perhaps.

Dawnguard resolutely pushed the thought of his head as Darkness did, following after the grey Pegasus until they had landed in front of what looked like a restaurant, perhaps a cafe of some sort. Other ponies were milling around, a few guards Dawnguard recognized, and right on cue, his belly reminded him exactly what he had left the barracks for in the first place.

"Finally!" the white Pegasus moaned as he eagerly wove his way between tables, "my ravenous hunger for Justice can be momentarily satiated by a good meal. Waiter!" he hollered, waving one hoof frantically to get one of the worker's attentions. "My companion and I are famished, and I fear I cannot control my spear hoof for one, second, longer! To a table!"

-----------------

Darkness chuckled softly at how Dawnguard spoke. It sound somewhat silly but he was right. He was also hungry! "Yes Please. I will take the usual table~" Darkness said to the host that was at the entrance.
The pony chuckled softly. "Of course sir. Please follow me." The pony said as he lead them into the restaurant.
The inside looked more fancy than the outside, and there were less ponies inside, but the ones looked like more wealthy ponies than the ones outside. The tables were somewhat decorated.

The pony lead them to a table near a window in the top part of the restaurant, and gave both stallions two menus. One had more economic food, and one more fancy and expensive food.

-----------------

Oh ho, Dawnguard had forgotten that his newfound companion came from a rich family, but he remembered now as the host lead them to a smaller but more extravagantly decorated section of the restaurant filled with more extravagantly dressed ponies. The white Pegasus felt his back stiffen a bit self-consciously, feeling the dirt stains and little bit of dried sweat clinging to his coat from a hard's day of work, and tried his very hardest not to shuffle his hooves. Honestly, Dawnguard wasn't really comfortable moving to a specific table in the 'high class' section, would have much preferred laughing and joking loudly with the other ponies and guards, but he didn't want to appear rude. In fact, a relaxing and informal dinner at a pub had been on his mind, not a sudden about-face into a fancy restaurant. Darkness was apparently more used to this sort of environment.

Though given the grey Pegasus' behaviors and mannerisms, he wouldn't have thought his companion prone to eating fancily enough to have a 'usual table' at the upper class section. Perhaps Darkness had yet to fully separate his origins from his new life in service to Equestria? That was a common malady many ponies faced, but it was a necessary one. Swift and Righteous Justice could not be appropriately delivered if one was constantly thinking about a mother's cooking, now could it!

Still, the white Pegasus kept his thoughts to himself so as not to appear ungracious, settling in his seat after carefully leaning his spear up against the pillar behind him. To Dawnguard's chagrin, the food items on one menu were near incomprehensible to him, filled with words he could hardly pronounce. The other, however, was more familiar, allowing the white Pegasus to let out a relieved sigh.

"You uh, have some expensive tastes, I see," Dawnguard half-questioned, blue eyes roving over his menu. Yes...cucumber and mulberry sandwiches, right at the top. With a large side of hayseed to go with them. Such a meal was sure to quiet the raging inferno of his righteous fury for at least an hour!

-----------------

"Heh..." Darkness said with a soft chuckle to his comment, though he was used to it actually. He never found it bad to be from a rich family, and it had it pros, but this was common. "They serve really good food, even if it is expensive or not." he said smiling to Dawnguard as he looked at his menu and thought what to choose.

Darkness looked at both menus and smiled, and soon enough a waitress came to attend them and take their orders if they were ready.
"I will have the special blueberry salad..." he said, looking at the expensive menu, then to the other one. "And a double hay burger." he said smiling as he made his choise.
The waitress smiled and wrote it down before turning to Dawnguard. "And you sir?" She asked with a soft smile

-----------------

"I see..." Dawnguard murmured as he looked back down to his menu, contemplating his order as he let loose a little bit more of the tension he'd been feeling. The awkwardness of attending a a fancy sit-down resturant with another stallion was still there, but Dawnguard reminded himself that Darkness was a fellow warrior, of great heart and greater valor.

And apparently much greater wallets than himself.

"The finest cucumber and mulberry sandwich in store, to quench the twitching of my spear hoof," the white Pegasus commanded, "...oh! And a side order of hayseed, please." Even on the menu with food names that were actually pronounceable, it was one of the cheaper items, which worked out well for the type of sandwich he had been craving all day. And also for his wallet.

Once the waitress had left, Dawnguard turned back towards Darkness, an inquisitive tilt to his head. "Even still," he began, idly rubbing his spear against one hind leg, "to even have a table verily reserved for your dining needs...does your family still send you support? Lend you aid, expressing their well-wishes for you in bits and money? The forces of good are repaid in words and the solace of our fair country, true, but even we must eat, and you cannot convince me a guard's salary to be equal to," the white Pegasus waved a hoof around at their surroundings, "this."

-----------------

Darkness chuckled softly at that. "Sort of. They send me money every now and then, once a week to be more precise, and a fair amount." Darkness started explaining with a small smile. "I... save most, the rest I spent it with my guard salary for things I need, and whatbI save I spent it..." He added. "In this kind of stuff, to remember my family." He added, a small happy sigh. "Reminds me the life I had once. But I am still happy with my decicion." He added.

"All this could drive a pony crazy." He added, chuckling softly. "I never went out that much, as I had all I needed in my home."

-----------------

Ah, that explained much then. Dawnguard nodded his head along in sympathy as Darkness revealed his reason for spending his hard earned (or birthright?) bits on lavish restaurants such as this one, though it was, in all honesty, not an urge he himself could relate to. Yes, he missed his family, his mother and sisters and grandparents, but any longing for memories were always usurped by the much larger and fierce desire to battle the forces of evil with the unrelenting fury of a thousand burning suns.

Well...almost always.

"I will need to take your word for it, my stalwart companion," Dawnguard shrugged, leaning back in his seat slightly as he cast his gaze out the window. "I've been to many an establishment, but few as fine as this one." The white Pegasus shook his head briefly, a morose expression passing over his face. "I sincerely doubt such finery could withstand the righteous fury of my spear hoof, should the unthinkable happen and I lose control! Ruin and disaster my friend, ruin and disaster!"

-----------------

"I know you can handle it." Darkness replied to Dawnguard smiling as the two waited for their food. "You managed to do it up until here, and when the food arrives, you will be more focused on it rather than your hoof." he added smiling softly and leaning back as the waitress arrived with them and gave both a glass of water before walking away. Soon enough she brought some bread as well, and various things they could add if they wished.
Darkness smiled and took one, then started eating it. "Don't worry, they are free." he said smiling to him, as he knew he would do what he could to save money.

-----------------

Ah, it seemed his grey feathered friend had misunderstood the eternal struggle he engaged in every single moment, and Dawnguard couldn't quite help the eager way he shook his head. "But don't you see?" he questioned, eyes wide and earnest, "containing such energy requires the upmost concentration and focus...my food will further increase the danger of my righteous fury bursting forth into willful destruction!" The white Pegasus leaned back in his seat again, curling his spear hoof in front of his chest. "But the bloodline of heroes cannot be denied...I have accepted this fate. Such was my destiny, affixed with the red thread of providence since before the birth of Equestria."

Which was all he had time to explain for a moment, when their waitress suddenly returned with some water and bread, causing Dawnguard to perk up. He immediately reached for a slice, taking a deep breath through his nostrils before falling on it like a ravenous wolf, finishing off the slice of bread in five seconds flat.

"By my twitching spear hoof...this bread is delicious!...and fluffy!" The bread had risen to the perfect size, not too thin, but not a large lump of dough either. Dawnguard reached for another slice and began to bite into it, a blissful smile on his face, before he returned to the matter at hoof.

"In any case," he continued, "surely you understand such a fiery, untempered fury constantly needing to be kept under control. 'Tis the same as your unbridled passion for the Princess of Starlit Wings, no?"

-----------------

Darkness looked rather serious when he started speaking regarding his hoof. Was it that dangerous? That was... sort of impressive to say the least, but then he smiled at how Dawnguard looked when the mare brought the bread and he started eating it.
"Told ya they make good food in here." he said smiling to him as he took another slice of bread and ate it happily.
he sighed and grinned softly before going back to the topic, blushing a bit when he used his beloved princess as an example... and he hated he was right.
"I-I know that..." He said, still somewhat embarrassed. "I will keep that in mind, and maybe later find a way to calm your hoof down." he said as he drank some water

-----------------

Hmm...this True Love business was a lot more difficult than the stories made it seem. Aside from the very obvious obstacle of a ruler of an entire kingdom, Darkness himself seemed to be struggling with the concept, seemingly finding it embarrassing as he blushed and stumbled about the subject.

Perhaps...perhaps he'd been wrong? True Love was suppose to be...natural, instinctual. Just...there. To Darkness it was embarrassing to admit to, either to others or to himself.

The grey stallion didn't seem willing to talk about it further however, so Dawnguard pushed the topic from his mind - again. "Indeed," the white Pegasus agreed - and then backtracked as he realized what the other had said, causing a slight chuckle to leave his lips. "We shall see," he added mysteriously, "but the power of righteous fury is a power of portentous proportions, my friend. Many heroes have been felled by their own maelstroms of lightning justice, unable to contain the energy fueling their bloodlines."

-----------------

"I promies you I will help you find a way to control it." Darkness said as he leaned forward a bit towards him and took.another slice of bread. "We will find it one day." He added as he started eating it.
After he finished, the mare came back with their food. The plates looked really similar to the images the menu had, and really looked delicious

-----------------

Dawnguard remained doubtful, but it was clear Darkness was confident of a solution. The white Pegasus only shook his head indulgently, even as he thought of the many battles he had fought (would fight) with the power of his avenging justice fueling his spear hoof. Such power simply could not be contained with hardly a second thought...but no matter.

The work of heroes was never done, after all.

His inner musings on the lighting storms of drifting fate were interrupted as their waitress suddenly brought over their food, causing Dawnguard to let out a loud exclamation of "AH HAH!" Several pony heads came up from their tables, and the white Pegasus cleared his throat and shuffled in his chair a bit, but was honestly too distracted by the sight of their food to feel properly chastised. "My thanks," Dawnguard managed to say to the waitress, before grabbing up his sandwich and taking his first bite.

Hmm....hmm. Yes. Dawnguard could understand why Darkness spent his hard earned bits on this restaurant.

"Such flavor," the white Pegasus murmured, "these Legendary Sandwiches of...uh, Canterlot! Every slice of cucumber perfectly layered to the mulberries, prepared and served with the mouth-watering taste of flavor."

-----------------

"I knew you would like it." Darkness said smiling to Dawnguard as he started eating his food as well, hastly nomming it at first, before slowly calming down. When Darkness finished the burger, he went for the salad, using the fork that was in the table and started eating it with the fork. It seemed that a few thins were still inside from his past.
The waitress smiled to them and left, soon enough.bringing two extra glasses of water and takeing the empty ones away.

-----------------

So focused on his food as he was, Dawnguard almost missed what his companion said. Luckily, he still had enough mind to pull his sandwich away from his lips, allowing him firs take in a breath of air before answering. "You were correct, my astute friend!" the white Pegasus admitted, spooning up some hayseeds, "a meal fitting enough to quench even the most voracious of gnawing hungers."

Oh sweet Celestia, even the hayseeds were perfectly flavored, not too salty and with just the right amount of oil. Or was that butter? One of the two that brought out the natural tastes of the seeds.

-----------------

Darkness soon finished his food and leaned back, rubbing his belly softly.
"Good as always..." he said smiling as he closed his eyes and rested a bit. He had eaten quite so much, but he was happiy with that. When it came to food, nothing was too much.
"Alright. I will call the waitress to pay." He said to Dawnguard sighig softly at how much he ate. At least, guard that day would be slow and boring.

-----------------

Dawnguard was just finishing off his hayseeds as Darkness spoke up again, causing the white Pegasus to nod in agreement, even as he focused on polishing off the very last kernel. "As you will," the recruit intoned, wiping off stray seeds from around his muzzle as he fell back against his chair with a satisfied sigh, "I will focus my energies on - hrp! - contemplating the essences of these legendary sandwiches."

Or just focus on not jumping to another table to eat up all of that food.

Darkness was successful in signaling down their waitress however, saving Dawnguard the embarrassment of committing such an unlawful crime against the innocent restaurant goers. Lucky for him - er, them! "A most excellent meal!" Dawnguard praised as he set the required amount of bits for his meal on the table, pushing them towards their waitress, "worthy of even the greatest fabled heroes of time and space themselves!"

-----------------

The mare nodded and left soon enough to see how much they would have to pay.
In the mean time, Darkness turned to Dawnguard, smiling.
"We should head back to the castle once we are done. My guard will start up soon enough." He said to him as he waited for the mare, who a few minutes later came back.
"It would be 500 bits sir Darkness, and 150 for you, sir." She said politly to both.

"Huh... 20 bits less than last time." Darkness said as he took out a bag of bits hidden behind his neck.

-----------------

Ah yes, the sun had fully set during their dinner, leaving only a thin shred of sunlight left on the horizon. It had almost been easy to forget that the Pegasus across from him was part of the Lunar Guard, and thus his day was only just beginning, whereas Dawnguard himself could look forward to a few more hours of relaxation before heading to bed.

Nothing like tackling thieves and otherwise dubious individuals to really get one's mind ready for a restful night.

"Ah, sadly, my fine feathered friend, we must set out on our separate paths, then," Dawngaurd said, nodding his thanks as the mare collected his own bits from the table. "You have your training and shift to resume at the castle, while I have evil-doers to corral into corners. Mine is a light that must cleave through even the darkest of night skies, to illuminate the wrongs that must be brought to bare!"

-----------------

Darkness looked at him as he talked and payed the mare, who took the money and smiled to them. "Hope to see you again~" she said smiling to both before leaving.

"Hmmm..." Darkness started thinking about what he said.
"There.... there is.a chance tonight I have the patrol the city. Maybe I cam go with you, I will only have to talk to the captain." Darkness said as he thought, looking at Dawnguard. Perhaps seeing him in action could show him how he really is, as it can bring to light some things of his true self

-----------------

"Hmm?" Dawnguard perked up as the their waitress shuffled away, prompting the white Pegasus to stand up and stretch out his legs a little? "A duo of heroes, flying side by side bathed in the rising moonlight? All evil would flee before us!"

Just as soon as he'd said it however, Dawnguard felt a tingle go up his spear hoof, causing an aghast expression to flit over his face. No...no, that would be no good! He would be hard-pressed to direct the righteous fury contained within onto only the criminal scum of the city - there was simply no telling what danger Darkness would be in if he were to come along!

"As tempting an offer as that is," the white Pegasus said, remorse clear in his voice, "I shall have to decline. The wrath of my Righteous Fury always rises with the moon..." And also with the sun, but the darkness of the night made it sound much more...mysterious.

-----------------

"Oh. Alright." Darkness said with a soft grin. He wanted to see him for a while, but if he was busy, or felt that it could harm, he understood. He stood up and lead him to the exit.
"Alright then. Lets go." He said as he walked, and once at the exit, he turned to him.
"I hope we meet again someday, and I am sure we will, but for now, good night. May Luna lgiht your path." He said smiling before flying off back to the castle

-----------------

Ah, a true shame. Still, as Dawnguard watched Darkness quickly blend in with the rapidly darkening sky, he had a feeling that the other grey Pegasus was right - they would meet again someday, and venture off in a blaze of righteous Goodness to right all Evils of the world, side by side.

But that would be then, and this was now.

"Now, spear hoof," the white Pegasus proclaimed, whirling about and barely missing smacking the pole end of his spear into a passing stallion, "off to the blackened night we go, where no evil-doer shall hide from the blazing light of my righteous fury! All who tremble before my mighty wake - have at thee!" And Dawnguard was off, soaring over the streets of Canterlot and ready to pounce on every shadow that dares show its face to him.

Well...the most suspicious looking shadows, anyways.

-----------------

END

Archived