Want to App an Extended-Canon Species? (Last Ruling Update - 6/8)

Bellosh

Please read the entire WoE Playable Species list before making pitches here; especially the end where it explicitly prohibits spirit OCs from being applied for.

There's a list? Must have missed it. Ehh, still, that's boring. Oh well, guess I'll just play it elsewhere.

RPH never bothered with writing Breezy lore because frankly, few among us liked their G4 concept enough to do so.Since they've showed up in the actual show though, I suppose Breezies are an ideal candidate for an extended-canon species because they're capable of maintaining a civilization. The only thing we ask is that your Breezy OC maintains the same basic attributes as those in the show, meaning you're stuck with how absolutely pathetic Breezies are supposed to be. Have fuuuuun!!!!!  :halo:

Remember we want a species to make natural sense for World of Equestria. If we have to spin the species to make it work, it's probably not a good species for play.

Please be kind to my Moderator. He's spending a lot of time working out these pitches, so please only ask if you fully intend to apply for a certain character species that you're asking about, rather than finding X creature and seeing if it will stick.

• Like 1

Thank you to everyone who have pitched in so far! Based on our experiences with this thread, I've added the following ground rules to the OP:

1. Before making any sort of pitch, please check the Playable Species List to see what species we already permit or don't permit.
  2. Also check the Provisional Rulings down below to see what's been already suggested.
  3. It's preferred that you make a pitch only if you plan on actually apping that species in WoE.
  4. If your pitched species has traits that an ungulate would potentially have, it's more likely that RPH will approve it.
  5. We welcome species with a basis in real-world mythology, but RPH will be wary of OP traits like long lifespans or possessing other beings. Depending on their historically recognized attributes, mythological species may be allowed to utilize a magical ability present in an official WoE species.
  6. Please do not pitch species that are either fan-made or belong to an intellectual property not connected with MLP.
  7. The best species concepts are those understandable by players without RPH having to write Lore to establish gameplay boundaries. If your concept requires RPH to spend time figuring out how it can fit into WoE, it's already failed.

Please read the list before making additional posts here. :)

UPDATE: After conferring with my RPH colleagues, we've decided that dronies are not an appropriate extended-canon species. It's our opinion that even if evidence of their presence in historical mythology could be found, their lack of a proper name along with their extreme obscurity (thanks to not having a proper name) would mean that other players wouldn't be able to judge for themselves if dronies fit into WoE or not.

If I may add my too cents. In the dark (and not so dark) places of the fandom that I (and few others I believe) been stalking, this particular hybrid is better known - and easier rolling from tongue in my opinion - as dracony. Obviously very popular among Sparity shippers.

Loving the Gilgamesh avatar. You've found my weakness, hnnng.

Ahem...

We just approved Qilin, which is very close to the whole dragon/pony hybrid concept. I'd highly suggest giving that species a look if you have your heart set on this character sub-type.

Loving the Gilgamesh avatar. You've found my weakness, hnnng.

Ahem...

We just approved Qilin, which is very close to the whole dragon/pony hybrid concept. I'd highly suggest giving that species a look if you have your heart set on this character sub-type.

Thanks Rosie. I am his big fan too, and to this day I curse the fact that Fate/Extra CCC was never translated.

By the way, since Quilin's were approved, should we expect Lore entry about them? As well and yaks and sirens and...

By the way, since Quilin's were approved, should we expect Lore entry about them? As well and yaks and sirens and...

We apologize for not releasing any Lore on yaks yet; stay tuned for that sometime in the near-to-intermediate future. As for extended-canon species (at least those ones that haven't appeared in MLP yet), we don't currently have plans to incorporate them into our official WoE lore.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

On the subject of dragons - I was very interested in having a teenage Hydra.

I would consider the unique traits of a hydra being different enough from dragons that it would be worth asking first. In most representations hydras have several heads, a lack of wings. I genuinely want to use a hydra character - Having that constant two-stream personality would be really interesting to work with.

Playable hydras are already not permitted in WoE. Please follow the instructions listed in this thread's OP before asking about any other species.

• 4 weeks later...
21 hours ago, Polyblank said:

41Vs0XxXdBL.jpg

I want to app a newborn cutie.

But then...how much would you be able to roleplay with them?  I mean-do they even talk?! :P 

I'll figure out something! nothing can stop me!

(I don't want to go down this road help)

5 hours ago, Lyipheoryia said:

But then...how much would you be able to roleplay with them?  I mean-do they even talk?!

Well, we had someone RPing as one of the Cake Twins once, so I suppose it is theoretically possible..... :?

• 4 months later...

No harm in asking:

Now while the rules due say no fanbased, intellectual property, but world or mythos incidents are proper, what about wereponies? Much like vamponies, or the more recognized fruit bat pony, would it be possible?

Now in the show and comic it is possible for magic to induce a fruit bat pony state without the negativity of wild mindlessness  (wherein even during one scene in the comic Flutterbat gained control of her battiness by time and focus whilst the others used magic).

So therein a magical curse being cause of the transformation (as, in ancient Scandinavian lore a were-form can come about magically as a curse rather than a bite or bloodied curse) in such magic curses fit with MLP.

So this magic curse creates the wereponies, perhaps an old spell to make ancient warriors strong like Timberwolves, goes awry, turning them wild and beast-like rather than stronger. 

The curse is passed on randomly, but it gives them a very fuzzy outward appearacne over their fetlock, mane, and tail (being more canid than pony) and often times their coat.

Under the strength of a full moon they become wild and nippy, and must lock themselves up not to hurt others. But normally have an awkward and absurd fuzzy appearance as well as a beast-like sense of smell, hearing and focus (which can be pretty short). To add to this only Earth ponies can be afflicted, due to having sought a means outside their realm, to aide them (magic).

There are fan renditions, but nothing truly concrete or like this. It all seem (from a glance) to just be werewolf ponies rather than a werepony (from my knowledge) of course calling it werepony would be silly so it would be given a different name since it's a magic affliction rather than a whole new species so this cursed with it are called Lykos (wolf ponies) and would only be found in an isolated place outside of Equestria.

I tried my best, please be gentle!

• 2 months later...

hey, there are weather gremlins in  the comics of MLP, what if they were a subspecies of a larger genus? I have an original race I made, let me find what I wrote for them...

Species: Gremlin

The gremlins are a highly intelligent race of chimera like creatures, with an uncertain lineage and extreme intellect, the Gremlins prefer scholarly might to physical might. While they are physically weak, they are surprisingly capable with the mystic arts.They were heavily interbred with D-dogs for generations, as they both live underground most of the time. the Gremlins are a highly intelligent species though, loving to tinker and use magic, being one of the only races capable of using magic without a horn, instead using an ancient language of their own that channels ambient magical energy through their unique design. They also have the capability to control any machinery they have made as if it were a part of there body thanks to the magical networks in both the machines and implanted in their arms as a rite of passage. Gremlins do not see gender as a means of segregation, instead seeing it as a minor difference in physicality, as long as they are skilled with a set of tools and can wire up a magical device, they are good in their book. While they do enchant objects, they have also devised a way to have machines be able to amplify and cast magic. Much similar to a wand, or staff. Their ultimate innovation, in their eyes, is the Golem, a mindless automaton made of metal and magic that exists only to follow orders, capable of working alone or being piloted like a suit, these automatons are indispensable, and used in sport quite often in "Golem Gladiatora" or, as it is more commonly known to non gremlins, the golem Arena. They live in the mountains surrounding the Crystal empire, traveling between them with a simple tunnel system.

Here is the appearance of the average male Gremlin

Species Name: The Bjorn

Personality: Slow to trust others, but extremely protective of those they come to call friends. Will often risk their lives to protect those few they call as such.

Favorite pastime: a sport called siggvire, where they take as heavy an object as possible and throw it, trying to throw it as far as possible.

Clans: The Bjorn are a very intense race of bear people living by their motto in life, which is "If Life is not hard, you are doing it wrong." They are by far one of the oldest species of Equestria, however they have little care as to this, all they care about is living life as dictated by their Parthenon of gods, The conceptual council. This council governs the four major concepts of reality; Life, Death, Order, and Chaos. They have had a rocky history with the Yaks for as long as history has been recorded, often having land disputes with them, as they both live in the far frozen north. It has been discovered recently that they have four different tribes, each dedicated to a different god, yet they all work together seamlessly.

The Kodak worship Mar, their god of Order. Their religious texts state that "Upon his hammer were the first civilizations forged"

The Sutop worship Krela, their goddess of life, their texts state that "From her warmth did the first plants grow"

The Blurgat worship Narlox, their god of Death. Their texts state that "From his shroud cometh a final, eternal rest."

Lastly, the Krunjow worship Zmata, their god of chaos, their texts state " Upon this tricksters machinations do the wheels of change tread."

They are a highly independent people, quite similar in posture and skeletal structure to the Minotaurs, except replace their bovine features with ursine ones, and make them much more... relaxed, seeing most other races as "Fellow children of Krela."

Holy crud, I totally forgot this topic was still a thing! :o

@RexDraco : Now that we've got apped characters running around with curses, there is nothing objectionable about apping a pony with a wolf transformation curse. For etymological reasons however, I advise the use of the term "werepony" because it technically describes a human ("were" is derived from the Old English word for man) that transforms into a pony. Maybe call them "horsewolves" or whatever better name you can come up with, haha. Additionally, I don't want to eliminate the possibility of ponies receiving wolf curses via bites since most people will be familiar with that aspect of werewolf folklore.

@Ugthor : Great care must always be taken before to ensure that whatever new playable species we introduce will mesh seamlessly with our MLP-based roleplay environment. We thank you for wanting to contribute your creativity, but unfortunately neither Gremlins or Bjorn would be things most WoE players will be comfortable seeing in World of Equestria at this time. There is a reason fan-created species are discouraged from being pitched in this topic's opening post.

• Like 1