Fiddling on the Roof, wary of a Faux Pas (Closed, Zealot)

Blueblood

Evening performance tickets?  Check.

Mailed invitation to a certain Ponyville Dressmaker?  Check.

Dress for the evening? ... well, hopefully that would be coming.

Princess Bluebelle sighed, trying not to succumb to the vulgar temptation to pace.  These past few weeks had been stressful enough, what with getting magically transformed between genders, but then she had added to it by trying to apologize and make up to one of the elements of Harmony!  It had been a dicey proposition, given how long Rarity had kept up a hostile attitude towards the royal.  

Still, everything seemed to be working out.  The Princess had put a dress on order, and was treating the fashionista to a play as well, in an attempt to actually make friends.  At any rate, they would be able to tell if they could stand each other's company for more than a passing business transaction.  

And so, Bluebelle waited for the arrival of her guest.  She'd told Rarity to come to the house early, so she would have time to see and put on the dress before heading out...

Oh dear, what a stressful night. Rarity was trotting along the cobblestone of the Canterlot castle on her way to see Princess Bluebelle, wheeling her dress for the mare along on a stand. Well, she said dress... it was a first pass, that and the warm coat and stockings she'd requested. It had been a bit of a week for Rarity, and hopefully it was going to get better. Hopefully. After all, this was Princess Bluebelle.

Okay, so they were supposed to be turning over a new leaf. All things past had been forgotten, of course. Yet still, there was going to be an awkwardness about their encounter, Rarity could smell it in the air. Or perhaps sense it. Yes, sense it, that was more ladylike. 

Still, she was looking forward to the play. The fashionista didn't know if she would enjoy Bluebelle's company, but at least the play would be nice. A welcome distraction from a work packed week.

She reached the door to the princess' chambers and stopped as the guard opened the door for her, stepping inside and seeing Bluebelle before her. "Greetings Princess, here I am and I have brought the first pass for your order," she began, stepping inside and wheeling in the trolley. "Most of the design is done, I just need some input on some of my style points," she remarked. Rarity was wearing a deep purple dress which matched her mane, perfect for a night at the theatre.

The tension couldn't last forever.  Sooner or later, Bluebelle would have to work it out of her muscles.  How could a mare sit still after all that lead up to this?  How could-

*Hang on a second.*  She sprang to her hooves, hoping the sudden movement would clear her head.  *Why am I so nervous about this?  Why do I care so much about one mare's opinion?  It isn't as if she's the only one who's had a... less than ideal experience in my company.  Why should I be so nervous about her friendship and good graces?*

The Princess nodded to herself.  Really, there was no point in getting so worked up.  The evening would go well or ill, but it would hardly make that much of a difference in their lives, simply provide closure, one way or another, on what happened on a particular evening several years ago.  

Thus tamping herself down, she could present a calm composure to the Fashionista once she finally arrived, nodding at Rarity as her guard admitted her.  "Greetings, it is good to see you again."  She couldn't manage to hide the small spark of excitement, though, as the unicorn brought out her bagged dress.  "Well, if you'll let me try it on, I can get you some feedback right now."

Rarity beamed happily at the princess' greeting, eager to show off her new daring design. "Not to worry, here we are," she declared, unveiling her design for the

princess.

Rarity had gone for a long dress design and using the abundance of material to make everything rather extravagant. The dress flowed from a deep pale blue to a light blue going from the top to the bottom, like a river of water. Rarity had been inspired by the fact it was likely to be a snowy wedding, thus something wintry would do well. That, and Bluebelle's name simply sung blue. Feint orange had been worked into the accents and the stitching, and the pale blue didn't clash with the princess' mane, but highlighted and complimented it instead. Orange was a bit of a difficult colour to work with. The mare had taken the liberty of adding some crystal dust to the main body, later to be replaced in the final design with diamond dust to make it shine even more, and she had also stitched in some intricate embroidered jewels of Bluebelle's house symbol.

The purple maned mare talked over each aspect of the design, before also revealing two pairs of glittering thick white stockings. They would keep Bluebelle warm in the cold, and would also blend well with her natural coat colour and her dress as well as adding a tad bit of dizzying sparkle which would no doubt send a stallion's eyes back up to Bluebelle's face. Rarity explained that she had also included a small round white furred hat of staliongrad style for wearing outside. It was a tad rustic, but it looked elegant at the very least.

"So?" Rarity wondered with a smile. "What do you think? Do you want to try it on?"

It was hard to judge a dress that wasn't being worn.  Nevertheless, Bluebelle had a cultivated taste in aesthetics, and an eye for clothing design.  Especially when it was for her.  At first sight of the dress's flowing colors, her eyes widened.  Such beauty, such sparkle!  It would have caught her eye and made her consider purchase even if it were not tailor made.

"I most certainly would!"  It was hard for her to restrain herself; the Princess's first instinct was to snatch the ensemble and dash off to try it on.  It was so rare that the royal got to wear clothes so wonderful.  Blueblood spared no expenses on his suits, but there was only so much you could do in the stallion line.  Now that he was, for the moment at least, a mare, there was no point in not enjoying oneself, right?

Still, no need to appear barbaric about it.  A beaming smile, and a gentle lifting of the clothes, before a decorous retreat behind a screen.  That was the ticket.  "Ooh, and stocking's too..."  Her bell-like voice rang out from her silhouette.  "I suppose these go on first..."  Not having worn any before, it took a bit of magical finesse to slide the tubes of cloth over her hooves.  But, Oh Celestia!  It felt surprisingly good to put them on, and a quick glance in the mirror (Blueblood Manor had them pretty much in every room) showed that she looked as good as she felt.  *And all that from just socks!  Who would have thought?  I've been missing out on so much...*

That was just the appetizer, though.  Now came the main course, with a rustle of silk and satin, and a brief flash of fur as she crowned herself with the hat.  The result was... well, breathtaking.  Literally, as Bluebelle's breath caught in her throat at the sight of her reflection.  *I look that beautiful?  I don't know if I ever looked so good as a stallion.  Then again, I don't think stallions as attractive.  On the third hoof, I never saw myself in one of Rarity's suits...*

Speaking of which, the fashionista should probably be graced with the sight of her handiwork.  Demurely, the Princess advanced into full view, making sure that Rarity was able to get a good look at how the whole ensemble affected her.  "Well, I think you've done amazingly.  What do you say to seeing the Canterlot public's inevitable swooning?"

Rarity took a few steps away and waited on the other side of the screen as Bluebelle changed. Well, the stallion turned mare had seemed to like the dress right away, that was a good sign, but how would the end result look? Hopefully, just as wonderful as that look of appreciation at the end. "Yes dear, the stockings go on first," she advised with a smile. Indeed, those would be very good for the princess in the cold climates of Stalliongrad. Perhaps they might be a tad warm in Canterlot, but the chilly night air could be quite difficult. Perhaps it would help with that.

Still, once the princess came out Rarity's eyes sparkled. She looked wonderful, Rarity stifled a giggle, trying to remain professional as she adopted a more critical eye towards the dress. "Well, I would certainly love to see them swoon over you," she enthused with a chuckle. "It would mean I've done my job to the best of my ability. Still, let me have a closer look," she remarked, stepping towards the princess and circling her, inspecting each and every curve of the dress.

She paced around her for a good minute or two before looking up again with a smile. "Yes, I am satisfied, oh... darling you look positively gorgeous you know?" she asked with a smile. She could tell that Bluebelle was happy with her work though. "I have little doubt there will be swooning."

A playful smile of pride danced about Bluebelle's features as she observed the effect that Rarity's own dress had on her.  Of course, the fashionista would have a deservedly high opinion of her skills, but the Princess felt that one could get jaded to one's own superiorities without reminders at decent intervals.  Such as totally gorgeous mares showing all that work over the fabric to be worth it!

"Doubtless.  But let us go and see for ourselves, shall we?  I've prepared the coach for us, and we should be able to get down to the theater in time for most of the audience to see your handiwork."  With a gesture of a hoof, she sent a footman down to let the cart-pullers know that she was ready.  "Time enough to take the scenic route, actually.  I don't like making the pullers rush; and they ought to get a decent trip as well, don't you think?"

Rarity smiled at that. Indeed, they should be heading off, and a coach ride would be a nice bonus. Rarity went everywhere under her own power, it would be nice to sit back and relax and let the world go by while she talked with the princess. Sort of like the train really, but hey. "Indeed, let's go. Oh, I do so hope you get all those looks. Then I'll know my job was worth it," she remarked with a grin. "Like I said, I would probably like to touch it up here and there, but as long as you're happy with it, this will be the finished ensemble," she said, hoping it was nice and warm for her.

With that the white mare began to head out, looking back. "I hope it's warm enough for you dear. I did my best to make those stockings robust," she commented, looking back at her with a confident smile as she heads out, wandering to the carriage so they could get going.

"Yes, I totally agree. Might as well let them enjoy themselves too. They are transporting us after all," she remarks with a grin. "But anyway. How have you been since last we spoke. I am sure some thing has happened worth talking about, mmm?" she wondered. Perhaps there would be gossip. Oooh, juicy gossip...

• 2 weeks later...

As Bluebelle walked to the door, she silently thanked her staff for giving her lessons about walking with a dress on.  It would have been just too embarrassing to trip on the skirts on the way out.  As it was, the sensation of the new style of clothing on her was still a delightful novelty, especially the stockings!  "Ooh... they are quite warm.  And smooth... I don't know exactly why, but they feel utterly marvelous!  Are they satin?"

The royal unicorn had grown accustomed to the idea that the better a set of clothing looked, the worse it would feel.  By this point, it had become an ascetic habit in service of the ideal of beauty, alongside early rising for ablutions and regular exercise regimens.  But to have an ensemble wear as well as it displayed?  It filled her to the brim with a kind of positive, flamboyant energy as she walked.  Even though the path down to the carriage bore no observers other than her own servants, they still turned to look, fueling the Princess' grin.  *Just wait until I hit the general public...*

With a set of dainty steps, she boarded the carriage alongside Rarity, and they began to trot off to the theater.  Along the way, it seemed the fashionista wished to make conversation.  "Oh?  Well, for me, I've been paying visits to a few friends.  Letting them know why I, ah, had to drop out of contact for a little while."  There... really wasn't much in the way of gossip she could spread there, not without really betraying the trust of the few ponies she had it with.

Rarity nodded at the princess' suggestion. "Well, yes. The exterior is satin but the lining is thick wool dear," she remarked. After all, they were very thick and satin wasn't quite as weather proof as wool. She'd needed to make them warm, but comfortable. Thus, the combo. It was a good one, and Rarity hoped that the princess liked them, but it sounded like she did. At least she wouldn't need to make improvements there. 

The fashionista boarded the carriage after Bluebelle, happy she was in such a good mood. Happy to converse with the mare, Rarity nodded. "I see," she said with a shrug. "I suppose one would have to in your state. Not that it matters but... well. Events, darling, events," she remarked, thinking half to herself that she'd just quotes some historical figure. "Come to think of it, I haven't been paying much attention to my friends of late. I have been quite busy, as per usual. I think I might drop a hint to Pinkie Pie to ponynap me for another great friendship weekend. Oh, that was wonderful," she enthused quite happily. "In fact, this is the first day off I've had in a month. Though, well, when one loves their work like I do, one hardly needs a day off."

The historical quote passed right over the Princess' head; Blueblood had not spent his days in class doing anything so prosaic as paying attention.  His higher education had culminated in a "gentlecolt's third," which was nobility-code for, "We will give you a degree if you agree to give to our alumni fund in perpetuity."

Not that Princess Bluebelle felt the lack of knowledge, though any potential mental sharpening that she missed out on might have proved invaluable in dealing with her current situation.  All told, however, social rather than intellectual qualities were what was called for in her life... it was only a pity that her competency in those had until lately been so abysmal.  "Well!  I have to say its something of a relief to hear that I'm not the only one who has trouble being a friend."  She sighed, settling back on her seat.  "I let my curiosity get the better of me when I was visiting in Cloudsdale, and... I uncovered certain things in places I had been told specifically not to look."

• 2 weeks later...

Well, the quote was probably quite an obscure quote after all. Rarity wasn't even sure if it was well known at all. Still, it didn't matter so much. She felt that some sayings were so common whoever first said them had ceased to be relevant. Society had long since bulldozed their memory, though not quite so it would seem.

"Indeed," she commented. "It is hard at times," she said, leaning back on her seat. "But we must always remember to make that effort. My friends are everything to me. I would do anything for them. With that in mind, I do my level best to be the best friend I can be, even if it is hard." Her ears perked up at the mention of Cloudsdale though, her curiosity getting the better of her. "Oh? I suppose this is what resulted in..." she paused, gesturing at Blueblood.

"Actually, no,"  Bluebelle corrected Rarity, "I didn't go through this change as a result of the breach of privacy."  She looked around furtively, before confiding in a low whisper.  "I did end up having to clean up that mess in a maid costume, though.  It was a thoroughly awkward situation for the both of us, I can tell you that much."  The Princess was flushing red, obviously unused to making such candid admissions, especially to ponies who could only be tenuously regarded as actual friends.  Nevertheless, a bit of self-disregard couldn't be anything but good for the royal, right?

• 2 weeks later...

Rarity raised a wary eyebrow. She was certainly very curious at that as the Canterlot scenery rolled by. "A maid costume you say?" she asked, quite surprised, giggling happily at Bluebelle's misfortune. "Oh my," she enthused. "That would certainly be an awkward situation. Whatever were you getting up to?" she queried with a light chuckle, trying to imagine Prince Blueblood in a maid outfit. Indeed, that was quite the hilarious mental image. "Well, have no fear. The secret is safe with me," she said reassuringly.

"Hmm, I can only imagine what brave exploits were going on to result in such a scenario. Still, perhaps a tale for another time. Another time the pair of us are much more tipsy," she suggested with a giggle. 

"Aheh, yes, quite."  Bluebelle laughed along with Rarity, somewhat nervously it had to be said.  Given that her getting drunk had been partially responsible for the whole incident in the first place, she couldn't help but think it an unwise tactic to employ if she wished to build a friendship with the fashionista.  On the other hoof, unless Rarity packed a spare costume rolled up in her purse, tonight would be unlikely to end with either of them wearing a maid outfit.  Perhaps it wouldn't go so badly...

Well, in any case, the Princess was glad enough for an excuse to drop the subject for now.  "I'm glad to know I can trust you to be discrete, in any case.  Trusted confidants are so hard to come by in a city that lives off gossip, rumor, and scandal in high places."  Given Blueblood's own past usage of this system to maintain his status, as well as the shares he owned in certain tabloids, this statement was just the tiniest bit hypocritical.  But as the old saying goes, if you can't beat them...

"Oh, I believe that's the theater up ahead!"  Indeed it was, a massive building in the Baroque style, gilded and shining gold and red in the evening sunlight.  Already, the carriages were arriving and disgorging their well-dressed passengers, who were making as much to-do of their entrance as any actor out to steal the spotlight.  Some could pull off the maneuver with grace, earning admiring looks from the passing pedestrians.  Others... pretended to ignore the snickering behind their backs.

Turning to look at Rarity, Bluebelle smiled and extended a hoof.  "Shall we show them how it's done, milady?"

Archived