RPG'S

Lyipheoryia

So...I've recently re-encountered RPG's...

My comp isn't all that great in taking all the hardcore downloading, but I just feel like discussing them.  So, what RPG's are out there?  Do you play any?  What are the pro's and con's in the RPG?

The ones I've heard of are Terra, Torchlight, Diablo, Fate, League of Legends.  I've scanned through one or two more, but the specific names I recall not.  The only ones I've actually played are Torchlight, Fate, and League.  Though...League wouldn't load after about two days, and for the former two, I only got past the first boss or so.  Hence the problem with demo's.  

If you're a fan of bashing your head into a wall once or twice, asking yourself "How am I supposed to beat this game?!" I can definitely recommend Dungeonmans on Steam - I've put in about 90 hours in it already, died about 15 times, and well... I'm still trying.

Pros and Cons? The game doesn't take itself seriously. That's pretty much the thing you have to keep in mind, as the item system also keeps a very Diablo/Torchlight-like feel to it with prefixes and suffixes determining just how good the item is.

There's also the fact that classes, in that game, only determine your starting skills - you can potentially learn all skills if you find the skill books! (Good luck with that one...)

But I do have to recommend it.

League isn't an RPG... Are they calling LOL an RPG now? It's a MOBA. Hardly an RPG.

There are plenty of RPGs out there though, from video games, to table top. I prefer Bioware's RPGs to most others. I really like their approach to character design. Mass Effect and Dragon Age are hands down some of my best experiences in video games.

I would recommend tabletop stuff though if you really want to get to the real great RPG experiences. D&D is hard to top really.

The best RPGs I've ever played are Earthbound and Xenoblade Chronicles.

One of them is a magnificent masterpiece and the other almost moved me to tears. So beautiful.

Unfortunately, these two are pretty much N3DS and Wii U exclusive (cuz their original copies are pretty pricey)

The pros of RPGs is that you can often get a good story out of it. Very character based with a lot of interaction.

The cons is that grinding is sometimes a part of the experience. Some games handle it better than others, but often there's some sort of grinding.

Like Xenoblade Chronicles, there are a TON of side quests, but they are pretty much the substitute to grinding in the sense that they're still trivial tasks that get you stronger. More fun than traditional grinding, but grinding nonetheless.

Some people like it, I see it as a con.

If you want free games stick to tabletop or look into free-to-play mmorpgs like Perfect World or something. (I mention that one only because it was easy to remember.)

I've had luck in the past downloading core books off of 4shared.com if that helps any... for tabletop stuff.

Otherwise the thing about tabletop is that you need other people. In person or over a chat site or what have you. No money should be required.

Any of these free?

I can give you the pathfinder rulebook on PDF if you like, but you'd have to PM me your skype or google drive or something :P. Not to mention there are a ton of free online tabletop systems. Otherwise, no, none of the video games I mentioned are free.

Hearing you people talk about Pathfinder and D&D - I have to point out Ponyfinder, the Pathfinder/pony crossover... for reasons that are quite obvious.

I have looked at the Ponyfinder rules. To be perfectly honest, I would rather play a rules light system and just convert that over to MLP. Though the ruleset is fairly solid, I reckon things like magic could be done a lot better, and less limited.

What exactly is a tabletop rpg? What's the difference of that from a normal rpg?

A tabletop RPG is a group activity. Most often you play with a few other players and a 'GM' or game master. They will write an adventure for players to complete and the players will all have their own characters which they have made. Think of it like forum roleplay, but your character has a load of statistics they use to complete challenges, and it's done in real time while four other people or so are around a table, or on a skype call or something. It's part storytelling, part game, which you do with your friends playing several characters. It really is quite fun, even if the game turns into a hack and slash at times.

I actually tried to set up a game of Ponyfinder with some folks on Canterlot, but it never got off the ground.

D&D always ends up turning into hack-and-slash if it didn't already start off that way... 

Yes... yes it can. But it only has to turn out that way if you have a GM who thinks the combat is fun. Hehe.

• 3 weeks later...

Why I didn't noticed that one earlier?

Buckle up. It will be a long rant.

First of RPG's in general are divided between western (the school of Europe and US) and eastern (which is practically Japan and...South Korea I guess?).

On the western branch if we go really oldschool we can begin with Ultima and Wizardy as well as Might and Magic series. After the decline of such titles new ones started to appear. Fallout, Baldur's Gate, Planescape:Torment were the new Renascence for Westerm RPG's. Diablo soon followed, and was a first one with real action, devoid of turn based system. The Elder Scrolls series too begun to really roll forward with release of Daggerfall, which was a first W-RPG with 3D open world. Later after long slumber (dominated by eastern titles) the modern titles started to pop up. Elder Scrolls: Morrowind, Neverwinter Nights (which retained D&D system) or Knights of the Old Republic and later down the line Dragon Age, Witcher, Skyrim (another Elder Scrolls game), Mass Effect (yes, despite all it's still an RPG but FPS influence is very heavy) and newer Fallout games.

Eastern branch begun it's life as a spawn of early visual noels. Most of those early E-RPG's are forgotten by players now but the first one was Dragon Slayer (we talking about computer RPG's there). It laid fundamentals before later action-rpg's like Ys or Legend of Zelda. Titles on personal computer's will mimic the trends that western tiles will set, form time to time throwing in their own quirks. But with the rise of processing power in consoles those titles will be doomed to extinction. Meanwhile on the consoles appeared the first Dragon Quest from Enix was released followed much later by first Final Fantasy title. Those two will be basis for all other RPG's from Japan that will follow them. Among them to name a few, Megami Tensei series(which stand's out as a games that usually have modern setting), Phantasy Star, Lufia, Grandia, Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross, Mana series, Lunar, Shining Force, Valkyrie Profile, Suikoden and Pokemon. The RPG element's are strong in other games as well. Castevlania (beginning with Symphony of the Night I guess, first of Metroidvanias ), Fire Emblem.

If I ware to choose which one's would be my favorites from each branches then I would say Planescape:Torment (for it's incredible story) as a western representative and Vagrant Story from the eastern one (which could be summed up as dungeon crawler mixed with Metal Gear Solid kind of plot).

Oh yes, how I loved Planescape. Awesome story....incredible characters...Original gaming world....music....just look at the voice actors involved:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0187405/fullcredits?ref_=tt_cl_sm#cast

The graphics have not aged well, and I'd pay all of the money for a HD remake with full voice...As the original would have a short bit of voice acting and then go into text, which always bothered me, especially with the cast they had...But the RP had so many firsts we would later see in other Interplay CRPGs.

The same guys who did Wasteland 2 are making an  'spiritual successor'. Considering Wasteland 2 was probably a game written just for me, yet I  could never get into it...I'm not too excited for this one. But this could change.

Nah I think Fargo got it. I mean guy worked over original Torment, Baldur's Gate and Fallout, that counts as something. Plus, did you seen writers they got on board?! Among them Chris %^&*$ Avellone! Many of staff worked either over the Torment itself, KotOR II:Sith Lords (probably the second best story out there) or Mask of Betrayer. I would be very very surprised if they screw this up. Plus they keeping it 2D instead of forcefully dragging to 3D.

• 2 weeks later...

RPGs are a pretty wide and varied genre to delve into. If you're looking at video games specifically, there's a lot of good ones out there. I do enjoy games that employ action and have RPG elements within them -- look at games like Castlevania and games inspired by it, like Dust: An Elysian Tail.

If you want a really rich experience that'll -really- suck you in, I'd look at getting into an MMO. They're pretty addictive and a lot of them do employ subscription fees, but a lot are also free to play (with everything annoying that comes with that). I mostly play Final Fantasy XIV to get my MMO fix.

Here's my character dead in a city!

O4k1BNc.png

5 hours ago, Rosewind said:

RPGs are a pretty wide and varied genre to delve into. If you're looking at video games specifically, there's a lot of good ones out there. I do enjoy games that employ action and have RPG elements within them -- look at games like Castlevania and games inspired by it, like Dust: An Elysian Tail.

If you want a really rich experience that'll -really- suck you in, I'd look at getting into an MMO. They're pretty addictive and a lot of them do employ subscription fees, but a lot are also free to play (with everything annoying that comes with that). I mostly play Final Fantasy XIV to get my MMO fix.

Here's my character dead in a city!

O4k1BNc.png

Wow!  That looks like really rich gameplay~  

Is the storyline and plot decent?

<sigh>  

I was going to download and play Tera: Rising.  It sounded like an amazing game, and it had fantastic reviews.

Alas, I cannot.  It is rated 18+... (obviously, I could ignore the age rating, but I'd rather stay away from sexualized images~)

Since the thread asks for pros and cons, I'll warn you Lyi that from the other side of the argument, a lot of people don't like MMOs. Especially nowadays when the market is so saturated. As a future game designer, I would NOT recommend your first RPG to be an MMO. The story lines are bolted on and few people care about them, the gameplay is substandard and has been copied over and over again from WoW, the thing that started it all. On top of that, there's no roleplay involved, even on 'roleplay servers'. 

I would stay away, or at least if you go into it, don't expect RPGs to be always like an MMO. They're a very distinct step away from what a lot of folks think of as a traditional roleplay game, especially with the whole networking element. They're geared towards progression, stat blocks, loot and gear as well as trying to make the same repetitive task seem interesting for however many hundred hours you need to pour down a time sink to get to the end.

While I have no problem with folks who want to get into that and like MMOs, I can't recommend them to someone who wants a story or a roleplay experience. They don't deliver, and in fact are widely criticised for it. Bioware's Star Wars The Old Republic came as close as I've seen to the more 'roleplay' aspects, but still didn't exactly deliver compared to more traditional roleplay games.

Just something to think about. Still, if you haven't tried a free to play MMO, I recommend playing one at least to see if you like it. Just don't expect a wowing story or roleplay experience.

Guild Wars 2 is free to play to a point. You can look >HERE< to look at the differences in account type.
GW2 is a really fun one I've found, and for sure worth it. Lots of good bosses, good action, surprisingly enjoyable PVP (I normally hate PVP ._.).

RIFT is a good F2P MMO, it doesn't keep much behind any sort of 'paywall', some classes you'd have to purchase an expansion pack for, but they're not required for new content (last I checked). Quite a few different talent trees that you can mix and match.

Wildstar is a load of fun, spacey, sci-fi-ish, westerny kinda feel to it. Plus you can be a lil rat person, that are super cute and super insane!

Everquest and Everquest 2 are both really good. The downside of Everquest 1 is that the graphics are dated, so if that bothers you, you probably wouldn't enjoy it. There's a lot of different ways to advance your character and quite a few classes/race to choose. Plus you can turncoat through a series of quests and join the good side from the evil side or the other way around!

And lastly I'll throw out World of Warcraft. Some people love it, some people hate it, I've played on and off (mostly on) for 9 years and still find myself going back to it. It's toted (Or was, dunno if it still is) as one of the forefathers of modern MMOs (alongside things like Ultima Online and Everquest). It's had 5 expansions (with a 6th coming soon), has a decent few races to choose from, as with classes (tho some races can't be some classes for lore reasons), the PVP can be a little toxic sometimes though. But the biggest part that always drags me back is the lore, the overarching story and growth of characters o3o however this one isn't F2P really. Though if you make enough gold in game, you can buy time tokens, but hoowee are they expensive.

Most RPGs themselves tho, not counting MMOs, will likely cost you. But if you dig around, I'm sure you can find some good stuffs c:

On March 15, 2016 at 0:53 AM, Zealot said:

Since the thread asks for pros and cons, I'll warn you Lyi that from the other side of the argument, a lot of people don't like MMOs. Especially nowadays when the market is so saturated. As a future game designer, I would NOT recommend your first RPG to be an MMO. The story lines are bolted on and few people care about them, the gameplay is substandard and has been copied over and over again from WoW, the thing that started it all. On top of that, there's no roleplay involved, even on 'roleplay servers'. 

I would stay away, or at least if you go into it, don't expect RPGs to be always like an MMO. They're a very distinct step away from what a lot of folks think of as a traditional roleplay game, especially with the whole networking element. They're geared towards progression, stat blocks, loot and gear as well as trying to make the same repetitive task seem interesting for however many hundred hours you need to pour down a time sink to get to the end.

While I have no problem with folks who want to get into that and like MMOs, I can't recommend them to someone who wants a story or a roleplay experience. They don't deliver, and in fact are widely criticised for it. Bioware's Star Wars The Old Republic came as close as I've seen to the more 'roleplay' aspects, but still didn't exactly deliver compared to more traditional roleplay games.

Just something to think about. Still, if you haven't tried a free to play MMO, I recommend playing one at least to see if you like it. Just don't expect a wowing story or roleplay experience.

It's not my first RPG or MMO :P.

But I'll take your advice to heart~

Archived