Official Discussion Thread - S056E1-2 The Crystalling

10 hours ago, TheColtofPersonality said:

I actually found the idea of the princesses not being born alicorns a interesting revelation

Technically they never said that. They said she was the first born Alicorn in Equestria. Since the book the Journal of the Two Sisters state they were already adults when they were approached by Starswirl to become the protectors of the newly formed Equestria, they preexisted Equestria. So if they were born as alicorns, which is highly likely, they wouldn't have been the first in Equestria since it didn't exist before the treaty between the three tribes was reached.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, weesh said:

I'm sorry, could you spell that out...i have no idea what you are talking about.

Rewatch the ending and pay attention to the left side corner!

What's that there flying towards the crystal empire, eh? Intriiiiiguing!

1 hour ago, Robikku Pegasus said:

Rewatch the ending and pay attention to the left side corner!

Hide contents

What's that there flying towards the crystal empire, eh? Intriiiiiguing!

this is a spoiler thread...

why are you hiding it from me and making me jump through hoops?

i watched it on a friends TV, it isn't' easy for me to find a legal outlet that is available right now. 

I'm hardly the only one using spoiler tags, and there's really no need to overreact to such a harmless little thing.
Anyway, youtube has clips of it, you can see it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yug28wqRJP4&feature=youtu.be&t=2608

People think it's a changeling or somesuch - a foreshadowing toward a finale threat...but just a small hint, like the Starlight background cameos of season 5.
It doesn't much look like a pegasus shadow, they've made better looking ones than that previously...looks too bulky for just a pegasus.

23 hours ago, weesh said:

why was it not believable to you?

Starlight's darkness that first showed up in the Season 5 premiere showed how far she went to create a world she felt was 'right'.  She was a great villain.  Very convincing of someone who has the motives to do the wrong thing for the wrong reasons.  It felt like since Sunburst left her and she realized he wasn't coming back, that she started spending her entire life from that moment in the context that friendships and personal aspirations cannot co-exist.  And what seemed like the course of a few moments, her mind was changed.

And even if I could get to the point where I feel she is on a road to correction, I'm convinced that she still has skeletons in her closet she might have to get rid of.  If Starlight is going to be a great character, than her development starts at the point where she is starting to do the right thing.  Basically, "what have you done for me lately?" would be the question I would raise towards Starlight.  I'm much less graceful than Twi.  It's hard for MLP to do this, but another thing that would help me believe any redeemed character would be payment of their crimes.  It just seems like SG is getting off easy.  If I tried to equalize everyone and force a hypocritical commune on ponies just for the satisfaction of my ideals, I would not become a protege of a political and spiritual leader.  Unless of course, I succeeded in my corruption. :P

It's entirely possible by the end of this season, SG will have developed enough to be a believable redeemed character.  But until then, it's not that fun for me when I could be watching more development of characters I've already fallen in love with.   Like Applejack.

Spoiler

full.gif

9 hours ago, starswirlthebearded said:

Technically they never said that. They said she was the first born Alicorn in Equestria. Since the book the Journal of the Two Sisters state they were already adults when they were approached by Starswirl to become the protectors of the newly formed Equestria, they preexisted Equestria. So if they were born as alicorns, which is highly likely, they wouldn't have been the first in Equestria since it didn't exist before the treaty between the three tribes was reached.

No Celestia implied they (her Luna and Cadance) were not born Alicorns.

And we really dont know when the princess took rule, I dont consider Journal of the two sisters cannon with the main series (just like the comics but its fine that the comics exist in thier own universe)

Just now, TheColtofPersonality said:

No Celestia implied they (her Luna and Cadance) were not born Alicorns.

And we really dont know when the princess took rule, I dont consider Journal of the two sisters cannon with the main series (just like the comics but its fine that the comics exist in thier own universe)

Things like the journal of the two sisters is considered canon...  until its not.  We don't have anything else more official than that, lol.  The writers of MLP have said about many things concerning canon, about books, comics, different stories tied in the back of episodes, etc., that everything they write is designed to agree with each other, and that these things can be canon 'if we want them to'.  This is, of course, a cop out, and a way to avoid having to dissapoint lots of people by shutting down what they believe to be true.  So in this case, Celestia, Luna and Cadance, McCarthy probably hadn't had to determine if they were born alicorns or not until this season.  And we may still not know for sure their origin by the end of the season.  It's my belief that one day we will know.  Maybe the finale.  Maybe the movie.  Maybe the premiere for season 15.

Well the thing is that if the two sisters book is concidered cannon in series then must this:

After all it obviously is in the same universe :D

Yeah sorry but I wont take anything as cannon until confirmed in the show.

I mean there is nothing wrong with side universes and all but sometimes its for the best that some material is official or not

The only difference between that and the Journal of the Two Sisters is that Journal of the Two Sisters was directly referenced in the show. Parts of the Journal of the Two Sisters were directly referenced in Castle Mane-ia, and Journal of the Two Sisters was written by a key writer at the time as a tie in to the show. Going right down to the Journal Entries written by the characters later on. You want confirmation? Read the book, then watch that season starting from Castle Mane-ia.

12 minutes ago, TheColtofPersonality said:

Yeah sorry but I wont take anything as cannon until confirmed in the show.

This if fine.  And it plays safe.  But there is nothing wrong with enjoying or relating to the knowledge of what I guess we could call the MLPFiM expanded universe.  Something to note is that the comic writers always have to adhere to what the show writers are doing.  Katie Cook has written stories that were really good and Hasbro liked them so much that they made her do something else so that the story idea could be an episode.  The canon creation in the MLP writers rooms are a lot less rigid than you can realize.  And so saying something is or isn't canon because a character 'implied' something is not really enough to suggest the real canon of the situation.  If they made a canonical decision, they would have been much more forthright about it.

Pop quiz:  How many princesses were there in Equestria when the show started in season 1?

Answer:  2.  Celestia and Cadance.

6 minutes ago, starswirlthebearded said:

The only difference between that and the Journal of the Two Sisters is that Journal of the Two Sisters was directly referenced in the show. Parts of the Journal of the Two Sisters were directly referenced in Castle Mane-ia, and Journal of the Two Sisters was written by a key writer at the time as a tie in to the show. Going right down to the Journal Entries written by the characters later on. You want confirmation? Read the book, then watch that season starting from Castle Mane-ia.

Well that could have been a subtle advertisement for the book, plus we dont know if the book was written before or after the episode aired.

Cant rely on publishing date as the book could have been written on a sheet of toilet paper and made a book a day later. 

1 minute ago, TheColtofPersonality said:

Well that could have been a subtle advertisement for the book, plus we dont know if the book was written before or after the episode aired.

Cant rely on publishing date as the book could have been written on a sheet of toilet paper and made a book a day later. 

Pretty sure it was after. Again, it was designed as a tie-in for the season. They even included the Pinkie Pie entry that was never included in the episode Pinkie Pride. 

2 minutes ago, TheColtofPersonality said:

Well then I officially add that live show as cannon then, totally happened!

Also all those bad MLP Fim Novels that were sold, also now official!

Yeah sorry but one must draw a line somewhere.

Literally, things that were referenced in the book were referenced in the show. I'm not sure what further confirmation you want.... You said that was your measure, now you are saying that isn't enough, because you don't know the timeline of the book and the show. Which doesn't matter since it was directly referenced either way.

This was easily one of the least Big Deal Premiere but honestly that doesn't bother me. I don't think every season needs to come in guns blazing with new villains that they inevitably defeat within 2 episodes. All in all I was not looking forward to the baby so I went in with very low expectations.... and I was pleasantly surprised. While the baby is a super special snowflake (see what I did there?) I still found the baby shenanigans funny. They worked well with Pinkie Pie being used as the "keep it busy" martyr. 

All in all I thought this was a much calmer more mature start for the season than previous ones and that might be a good thing actually. I'd rather it come in quiet and go out with a really big bang! The Starlight subplot was predictable but fun. I think Spike is going to be very proactive in translating Twilight's madness into normal-speak for Starlight. Could be good for his character too. 

3 hours ago, QuickLime said:

I don't care for Starlights new mane style though if I'm honest

Agreed there

5 minutes ago, TheColtofPersonality said:

Well someone has to, plus even if we did add The Journal of the Two Sisters as cannon it doesnt go into full detail on what happened.

So it's vague and inconsistent?  Oh!  like the show!

Archived