Official Discussion Thread - S056E1-2 The Crystalling

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, TheColtofPersonality said:

Well then I officially add that live show as cannon then, totally happened!

Also all those bad MLP Fim Novels that were sold, also now official!

Yeah sorry but one must draw a line somewhere.

The novels probably are the outside material most likely to be considered canon. We've actually had direct references to events in the novel series in the show before and it was where some stuff like Pinkie's family was introduced in its canon form for the first time. 

The series opener was... ok. 

I liked Sunburst as the new character on the block who was seen as a powerful magic wielder but eventually loses his resolve. We all have moments like that when we think we're not up to the challenge of greatness, and i can relate to the wizard! 

Starlight Glimmer. Interesting seeing her starting on the path to making friends and reconciling her mistakes. I'm glad they didn't just reform her and leave it at that. Instead she as Twilight's pupil is actually learning how to be better. 

Flurry Heart. Dear Luna, that bundle of magic and cuteness is going to steal my soul with her cute eyes! I like the added lore of the Crystal Heart and the Crystalling. 

So...no Alicorn has been born in Equestria other than Flurry Heart? Are Luna and Celestia from somewhere else and moved to Equestria, or did they mention this because they existed before Equestria was made. Confusion...

Spike and Starlight's comments. I liked the chemistry between the two while Starlight was on her way to meet Sunburst. 

The whole deadly winter storm was... meh. I preferred a Big Bad attacking to a storm. 

Overall it wasn't the best opener, but still fun to watch. 7/10 

Finally got around to watching this. I think it was a worthy opening for Season 6, and I think set the tone very nicely for what is to come. It was great getting away from the villain du jour paradigm. I'm sure we'll get some villains later this season, but it's nice to have a premiere that continues off the canon of last season. The new Princess was cute, but certainly not the focal point of this season opener (outside of the slapstick baby antics).

I think it's great how Spike's sort of taking Twi's old role of being the friend that gives good advice, while she moves on into the role of a teacher. Finally, he's showing he's also learned some stuff on his journey with Twilight instead of becoming the usual sidekick-lackey. We all take different roles through our lives, and it's nice to see that the character development focused here is synonymous with that.

I have to be honest, when Starlight and Sunburst finally were truthful with each other, I cried. I know the pain all too well of holding back the truth from a friend and suffering for it. It's nothing short of a living nightmare. I also know the pain of losing a friend due to distance, or they just move on. It was really great to see them legitimately reforge their friendship.

Like or hate Starlight, she is here to stay. She's Twilight's student and will continue to forge our path through this season.

Edit: Also duh, Twiparents talking! WOOO!

• 1 month later...

Just wanted to post something in here again real quick.

Spoiler

My thoughts on this one haven't changed much despite my changed perspective honestly.

About the only thing that's changed is that it being the WORST PREMIER EVER was clearly an overreaction.

However it wasn't exactly strong either. Mostly mediocre.

Flurry Heart is still cute and that was basically the only reason I looked past it being an alicorn. The rekindled friendship of Sunburst and Starlight was okay and they were able to overcome their uncertainty of being honest with each other about what happened to them and being worried what the other would think of their current status and/or pasts.

Either way the resolution was still somewhat predictable with Sunburst coming to the rescue and all.

Clearly it wasn't the worst premiere ever but I'd still say it was weaker than other premiers.

So my perspective has only changed from 'WORST PREMIER EVER' to 'Mediocre'

:unsure:

• 1 month later...
On 6/8/2016 at 5:33 PM, Zephyr said:

At first when i heard about this alicorn foal, I was against the natural born idea.. but when i actually watched this episode, I came to love and accept it.

Honestly, it takes more than two episodes to bring love for me into a character.

I'm not too comfortable with the Alicorn foal idea-but I suppose I will come to accept it.  

It does seem like an interesting concept though...

Archived