On a foggy afternoon in Providence, Rhode Island, in a cheap café, sat a unicorn. Her dusty pink coat and olive curls blended into the drab scene, making her vibrant orange eyes glow. She thought deeply as she scooped bites of cherry pie into her mouth with a wisp of lime green magic from her horn. Early that morning she had received a call informing her that her great uncle Hexter had passed away. She had never met him and all anypony ever mentioned about him was his “odd and reclusive” behavior, this is why the fact she had been left his estate and a small fortune perplexed her so.

She knew that she was lucky for receiving such an inheritance but couldn’t shake away a feeling of concern. She rummaged through her satchel, finally retrieving a crumpled and forgotten paper. “Voltaire” greeted her in neat hand writing, followed by a list of how to contact him. It was now that she finally regretted being a recluse and being such a lone pone. She grimaced at the thought of contacting a mere acquaintance she hadn’t seen in years but she had nopony else to ask.

Upon returning home she sat at her writing desk and began writing the letter:

“Dear Voltaire,

It is SkeletonKey, your old colleague from the Miskatonic University. You might not remember me….at all, but I remember you and I beg of your help. I apologize for the random plea and odd circumstance but please hear me out. I have recently inherited an estate from my late great uncle, it is a vast mansion and piece of land that I know nothing about.

All I ask is of you to accompany me in my first day or so at the estate. I know it sounds childish but I have the strangest feeling. I suppose this type of worrying is just common female survival, and I do wish to have my concerns cleared up. The home is fully furnished and ready to be lived in already and I will take care of any and all travel expenses and food.

I understand if it is too much to ask but please reply with haste regardless of your decision as I plan to leave one week from today. Thank you in advance and I apologize for any inconvenience I may have brought you.

Sincerely,

Skelly”

She folded up the letter and put it into an envelope and sealed it. She walked down the road to the local mail dragon and watched him toss the letter into his mouth with a belch of flames. That night Skelly slept deeply and had strange dreams with unknown creatures and lands.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

with a reluctant sight a tall purple unicorn stood up and got out of his large bed. aroind his ankles his pet fox Hunter scurried around. He sat in a nice armchair and pulled him into his lap stroking his soft fur "why don't you retrieve my mail!"!he said with a pat on the head. And with that the little fox ran off. 

voltaire wasn't often in his own estate. But after hearing about a feud of nearby earth pony farmers he was asked to help negotiate a peaceful solution. His estate being a good distance from rather clan made it a natural choice. He invited both leaders to his home for cupcakes and juice. And despite a rather rocky start he got them both to get along and the first steps to peace were made. The local authority would handle it from there. 

Voltaire looked around. His home was grand, well furnished and warm. But it was also dusty and empty, and in a minor state of neglect due to him mostly living on the road, spending his days traveling for the sake of his job. 

It wasn't long before Hunter returned. A single letter in his maw. "Ahh what do we have here?" He said as he retrieved the letter. He took a quick sniff. No familiar scents ... Then he looked at the sender 

"skeleton key! A fellow alumuni of the miskatonic" He said to his pet. He took a sharp letter opener and continues to speak "we were never close ... She wasn't with anyone." He said as he neatly unfolded the letter and read. 

What an odd situation indeed. He could indeed emphasize with her in feeling like a stranger in your own home. But there was something strange ... Something odd about the whole situation.

without a second thought he wrote back and accepted. Within moments he had packed some clothes, some comfort items. And a dagger. He stored it away in a suitcase and locked up his estate. 

It took several days for him and Hunter to make the travel. But in the late afternoon they made it into town. It didn't take long to figure out the inn in which she was staying (some simple friendly questions with the locals). 

Voltaire entered the inn, and despite not seeing her in several years recognized skeleton key "skelly!" He called to her across the room

A day later and Voltaire had replied with a helpful tone that consoled Skelly. She spent the next few days preparing and hoping her worries were delusions. Finally the day had come and Skelly paced in the inns small bar trying to relax. Meeting no ponies always made her nervous . Without meaning to her mind played out the worst possible results. After only 3minutes of waiting, which felt like an eternity to Skelly, she recognized the face of Voltaire. Thankfully his presence and cheerful greeting immediately put her nerves at ease and she couldn't help but smile and call back "Voltaire!" with equal enthusiasm. She trotted towards him quickly trying to downplay her excitement. She began, calmly "Its good to see you. I only regret not being more sociable, and meeting on such strange circumstances. Hopefully I'm only overthinking everything and it will be more of an easy job for you." She chose her words carefully but then felt more awkward and admitted "and quality time reconnecting with an old friend for me". She was never good at speaking confidently but only because she feared hurting anypony's feelings. She smiled a little and and waited for him to speak.

Voltaire let out a light laugh and went for a gentle hug "worry not about such feeble things as words, they never have the streanght to convey how we feel anyway." He let go. Hunter put his little paws on key"s legs as if trying to join them in the hug 

"Hunter control yourself!" Voltaire said quickly. The fox obediently sat wagging his tail "this is my loyal friend Hunter the fox. He's been with me for 2 years now. And still as rambunctious as ever" 

voltaire walked to the bar and ordered everyone something to drink, he handed her a glass and set one down at his feet for his pet. He sat at a stool and said "ahh now where to start where to start? ... I suppose we will have plenty of time to figure out the affairs of your state tomorrow, so let us relax and catch up today!" He said joyfully

"so how have you been since our institute days?"

Skelly was finally at ease for the first time since inheriting the estate. She smiled genuinely and and said "First thing is first, next round is on me " she patted Hunter who was still enjoying the adoration of everypony at the inn. She continued, "well let's see, after graduation I moved to Providence where I began work as a historian,and part time sorcerress. That's when I lost touch with everypony, I've always been somewhat of a lone pone. What about you? You were always a lovable friendly type. I imagine you must deal with ponies all day but probably by choice?" She listened inventively while enjoying a hefty mug of cider

Hunter looked at Voltaire with a begging look before he sighed "go ahead!" He said . And with that the fox let out a happy yelp and jumped in skeleton's lap 

Voltaire nodded and said "hmm well after the miskatonic I went to a few other schools. Boston, Florida, California. After having enough of that I somehow managed to find myself in the gaurd. I became a special requisitions officer. And since then I've been doing quite a lot of traveling. Me and hunter here have been all over the world. Helping where we are needed." He said trying to sound humble 

"it's good to know you still think so highly of me even after all these years" he said trying to hide a sly smile creeping on his face

SkeletonKey smiled and couldn't resist cuddly Hunter. "Very admirable , you seem to be quite the philanthropist." She smiled warmly, " ahh well most everypony had great respect for you, I can't imagine time allowing them to forget what a great friend you were, to everypony" this was true. Voltaire had always been there for his friends and even strangers. His way of making everypony feel accepted was always something she almost envied, if he wasn't so lovable. 

Her worries were very distant by this point and that was well needed, especially with the new estate and moving. She was beginning to feel very comfortable, which meant she would say something forward and borderline regrettable. In a carefree tone she added " not to mention you look amazing! Always had the fillies and colts falling for you" she finished with a giggle.

"I ha-ha" Voltaire said taking a sip of his drink. Surprised she had said that and taking him a bit off guard.  "that would be clothes ... My father always said wear a fine custom talyored suite or wear nothing at all!" He said with a bit of a laugh. As he pulled the collar of his white long sleeve shirt. 

Voltaire wasn't entirely sure how to react and said "it's good to see you took care of yourself also." He said returning the compliment 

Without realizing what she was saying she replied "well I'm sure you look good either way" she immediately exclaimed "my apologies I hadn't realized what I said- I didn't mean to sound so brash! I didn't mean that- I didn't mean to say that" Skelly's face was flushed and warm.

She hastily changed the subject after only two attempts finally sputtering: "First time in Rhode Island? I know you enjoy traveling, have you been to this area at all?"

Voltaire was a bit shocked she had said that, he looked to her as she panicked. It was a bit adorable and painful at the same time. 

"Uhhhh ...no" he said not wanting her to be uncomfortable. And going along with the way she wanted the conversation to go.

"we had a summer home in cape cod, a few hours away. I would often come to Rhode Island as a child. My parents would take me along to the sometimes to the coast, the armories. And other  business" He said with a painful sigh before sipping and continuing "in recent years I've been around Boston for lots of buisness. But never got a chance to come back, And enjoy the area, It's quite nice actually"

he looked to her and said "would be nice if you could help me get re aqanted with the town before Or after we're get started?"

Skelly took a deep breath calming from petty embarrassment, "That is a great idea!", happy to change the subject. "It really is a nice area, kind of gloomy most of the year but I actually enjoy it, you know me, I like anything morbid and creepy. The sun is about to set, perhaps we can go to this lookout point to watch the sunset over the water? It's not too far from here and it's a spectacular view of the ocean regardless of the time of day"

She smiled contently, showering Hunter with attention. "Or perhaps you're hungry? If you haven't eaten there is an amazing place on the boardwalk, best cupcakes in town, and they have a great selection of pies. It's up to you, if you can't decide maybe we can do both or perhaps you had something specific in mind?" She was beginning to remember how much she enjoyed company as she studied the small purple hairs on Voltaire's face.

Hunter cuddled with her in her lap, loving the attention. 

Voltaire smiled replying "that would be delightful. And yes some dinner afterwords would be nice!" He said as he finished his mug he noticed she was staring at him and smiled. He figured he better not make her feel any more akeard than he should. 

Voltaire then stood up from his seat and stretched. He took out his wallet and payed the bill saying "so local sorceress? What kind of spells have you been doing for them?" He asked genuinely wanting to know more about her.

Voltaire's smile was warm and only made her smile more so she broke eye contact and finished her mug of cider. She answered "Truth be told, I'm somewhat of an art and historical building and artifact restorer, that's what most of my spells are for, restoring old stuff" she giggled. She continued "But in my free time I love figuring out locks, it's like a rubic's cube for me. Especially if it's a lock keeping things out, I love exploring forbidden and old areas, I try to stay respectful always but I must admit sometimes my curiosity gets the best of me. Why, back at MU I managed to unlock the basement door in the library, so many old and strange books I was tempted to take but I could never steal. Then there was the time I got into the university's morgue before anypony else arrived, haha best Halloween prank, needless to say I did get a little guff for that one."

They walked out and Skelly began guiding Voltaire through the quaint town. "This lookout point is just a few minutes walk into the nearby woods", they left the paved streets and entered a small dirt path into the woods by the side of the road. The path was narrow but Skelly used it as an excuse to walk closer to Voltaire, feeling warmth emanate from his body. She glanced up at him to check if he noticed but concluded she was safe. "Ah, here it is", she said as the path opened to a wide clearing which overlooked the ocean. The sun was just about to dip below the horizon and the sunset was picture perfect. She turned to him "We're really lucky, made it just in time for an amazing sunset!" She smiled at the warm glow of pink, red and purple hues and the dark waves crashing below. 

Voltaire and Hunter walked along with her. He saw the wonder in her eyes when she described her love of lockpicking. And he laughed along side her when she told her Halloween story.

when they turned the corner and they saw the beach and sunset Voltaire was a bit taken back. It had been years since he saw the sunset across the ocean and almost forgot the majesty 

"wow! Indeed we have" he says slowly staring at the sea. 

Hunter could care less about the magnificent display and went down to the actual water line looking for things to eat and play with. 

Voltaire looked to skellaton staring into beautiful orange eyes

Skelly felt completely relaxed as she gaze into the sunset. Her mind wandered and before she knew it she was staring into Voltaire's deep green eyes. She immediately realized he was gazing back into hers and made a tiny, unintended whimper so quiet she believed he didn't hear. Her face felt hot and she quickly said "Voltaire..your eyes are very nice." She ended up speaking dreamily then cleared her throat and finished with "she's a very lucky girl, whoever she is" 

She smiled and knew that Voltaire must have had at least one admirer, he always had, at any moment he could have had anypony he wanted. His kindness and favorable personality was pleasantly matched by his good looks. Her feelings of being out of the question for such a stallion gave her strange comfort. She smiled at him playfully.

Voltaire stares at her warmly and was about to say something when he heard her say something ... Confusing.

"what .... Who? She?" Voltaire asked quirking his eyebrows. He thought for a moment. "Are you talking about a special some pony?" He asked; still not sure if that's what she meant. "No I'm single ... Always have been." 

He stares away from her as the sun finally disappears and the stars come out. "I always put others in front of myself." He said still facing away from her. 

Skelly listened intently for his reply and once she heard there was no special somepony she did feel a tinge of hope. Even if she was just a lone pone desperate to spoil a special somepony she felt happy with his friendship alone, he was just that kind of stallion. Whenever this happens, Skelly immediately ruins the moment with a number of silly, mostly immature and perverse outbursts.

However, his last words are what caught her priority and compassion. In a weak lament she replied "I know what that's like...." She not only related to the statement but even had to distract her mind , she continued "and because of that, I promise to be there for you if ever you need somepony!" She finished in a cheerful, declarative tone. She smiled big and somewhat silly at him, then abruptly ruined the sentiment by finishing with hitting her tail against his flank and laughing like a little filly.

As she spoke, Voltaire opened his eyes and looked towards her again.he felt the compassion in her voice. While he didn't even realize he was frowning, as she told him she would always be there for him he couldn't help but have a small smile.

but then she slapped him with her tail and he struggles to hold his face still saying. "Oh I need a pony right now; ONE TO SPANK!" He said as he used magic gently slap her flank as she did his chasing after her laughing 

Skelly giggled rambunctiously trying to win the game of flank spank which to her involved a lot of intentional losing. Finally after the most drawn out flank spank war Skelly playfully tackled Voltaire, his long white mane tickling her nose. "Look I won!" she said as she hugged him sweetly. She had gotten ahead of herself and quickly got up. "A big stallion like you down, taken down by ME?" She tssked jokingly.

As skelly tackled him he couldn't stop laughing causing him to roll over with her. He held a hoof around her as she hugged him 

then she stood up stil mounting him as he still held a hoof on her "oh it's not me you have to worry about" he said giddily as he made a quick whistle; she would feel hunters little paws on her head and him scurying around her body tickling her with his whiskers and fur. As Voltaire laid back on the sand his hooves behind his head resting and watching 

Skelly squealed with laughter as Hunter scurried playfully about her. She sat up giggling to Hunter "No, not me, get him! Get him Hunter!" Skelly motioned towards Voltaire, trying to get Hunter to attack him, Hunter was excited with the confusion of how to obey both commands at the same time. "That's not even fair!" Skelly objected playfully, " two against one"

She trotted towards Voltaire cheerily, extending her hoof to help him up she says "How about some dinner before it gets any later on us, as promised, it's on me"

Voltaire let out a hearty laugh watching his pet tease her. 

He took her hoof and held it gently as he got up. "Oh no that won't be nessisary." He said as he looked up to the starry night. Then back to her "I insist to pay for the both of" he said as they walked off the beach. Hunter trotting happily alongside them 

he made sure not to let go of her hoof walking with it 

"you pick the place and I'll pick up the check; sound fair?" He asked politely. 

However she would notice something slightly difrent about his speech pattern. As if he finally let his gaurd down and wasn't trying to impress any one and for the first time in a long time Voltaire was just being himself!

Skelly felt a strange fluttery feeling as Voltaire touched her hoof and when she realized he wasn't letting go she practically melted. She decided not to protest and hoped her dusty pink coat hid any blushing.

"Usually I'd argue endlessly to pay the bill but at this point I'll listen to nearly anything s long as you ask" she said dreamily. Snapping out of it she added "There's that great restaurant on the boardwalk, I know you'll love it" She guided him but never walked ahead or let go of his hoof. Finally they were on the boardwalk, "This is it" she smiled, pointing to a restaurant with a sign reading simply "cake house" 

"Best cake house around, and don't worry it's not just cupcakes" Skelly giggled.

Holding her hoof Voltaire looked at the bright yet soft lights of the pier. It was quite nice. He laughed alongside her when she said it served more than cupcakes. 

He walked in with her still holding her hoof and to the host simply said "table for 2 please." He turned to her and asked "so ... I hope it's better than eating the university's cafe hay fries everyday!" He said giggling 

"come to think of it we never ate togather back in those days. What's your favorite food?" He asked her a little exited and fast 

Skelly sat and thought for a good minute, "My favorite food.....I suppose I love just about anything with cherries, and coconuts" Skelly really enjoying food especially trying new ones and eating with friends. 

"And I assure you anything on this menu beats the hay fries at MU!-" but before Skelly could ask Voltaire his favorite food she was interrupted. "SkeletonKey! Hi!", it was an enthusiastic, white mare wit dark blue hair. "Oh uh hello Marina..how are you?" Skelly replied nervously. "I'm fine!" Marina laughed excitedly, and asked "well aren't you going to introduce me?! I had no idea you were talking to somepony!" Skelly moaned under her breath, "Okay Marina, I'm sorry but we're just meeting...well again that is. Its business." This was all true but Skelly felt somewhat guilty as she say it.

Marina was still too excited, it's probable she didn't process a word Skelly said. Marina bid farewell with an energetic bear hug, waving to Voltaire and whispering loudly to Skelly as she left "good job!" and she was gone .

"Sorry about that. She's my hairdresser" Skelly laughed nervously. "So uh how about your favorite food?"

Archived