Voltaire turned to the mare, skelly was talking too. 

Her words ... Well Voltaire wasn't entirely sure what he felt when she said they were just here for buisness. He blinked in realization. Well she was right he was there for a job ... It's just so far he was having so much fun with skelly he forgot about work ... Forgot about a lot of things. 

She finished talking to her friend and he nodded. A hostess took them to there seat and as they walked "well ... One time i was in France and my detailer brought me to this little inn. And they suggested the soup. And ... Wow it was the greatest thing I ever tasted! Only had one time and I still think about it, to this day!" He said remembering the amazing meal. 

He sat down across from her and seemed to be back on gaurd a bit snapped out of the fun they were having. 

Voltaire wanted to say something but now that he was back on gaurd; so to say. He couldn't exactly find the apropiate thing to say. So he looked down on his menu for now.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Skelly knew Marina would throw everything off and internally she was frantically trying to get back to the level of carefree joy as before. She knew this never works so instead she decided to speak a little bit about the business, at least the more entertaining aspects. 

She leaned in like what she was about to say was a secret, "Is it me or does my whole inheritance thing seem odd? I never knew my great uncle but he was supposed to be very strange and quite the sorcerer. I'm not even sure about how he passed, I only assume it's old age." She longed for Voltaire to be happy and close again so she added, "I really appreciate your help, it will be nice to have a strong stallion protecting me"

This talking of buisness and the task at hand 

only had the opposite she wished effect on Voltaire. He dedicated his life to helping others, that small part of him that was him, enjoying himself, playing with skelly at the beach. Quickly dissolved away deep inside his soul. As he emulated the actors and books he admired as a young boy. 

"A strange recluse. Surly you had more in commen than you know with yourself. ... Perhaps he only heard of you by reputation and connected . By reputation and story alone?" He said; as he felt Hunter by his feet as he regained his normal posture. The carefree stallion skelly saw moments ago disapear

Skelly analyzed Voltaires response and body language. 'Great,' she thought, 'way to go Skelly, this pony is in work mode now', forgetting not to pout. She answered "I suppose, perhaps I wa the youngest heir or something. I guess it's his reputation and mysterious death that concerned me but he was an old fellow..." The waiter had arrived.

Skelly ordered a curry dish, remarking to Voltaire "I love spicy food!". Voltaire was still on guard. Inside she was really irritated with the whole Marina incident, she wished she knew how to bring back the playful Voltaire. Again, without realizing, Skelly was now staring into Voltaires eyes with her mouth a pout.

Voltaire thought for a moment. Planning what to do. 

"Hmm tomorrow perhaps we should go to the morge; we should find out more about how he died. Then we can investigate the estate."he leaned back putting his hoof to his chin in thought "my only concern, is any potential harmful effects the estate has, that may of contributed to his death." 

The waiter came by "yes I will have the seasoned steak, with the spicy shrimp." He says with a little smile, feeling that was a response enough to how he also felt about spicy food. 

But then he noticed how she was looking at him, like she was ... Pouting? Voltaire leaned across the table and asked "skelly? What's wrong?" He asked softly 

Skelly's face got hot as she snapped out of her stare and pout with Voltaire's question. "Oh uh, sorry haha" she laughed nervously. "I guess Marina threw me off, small town means everypony is intrusive, not to mention she's always pushing me to date and..." At the mention of "date" Skelly realized prior to Marinas intrusion, her putting with Voltaire did feel like a date. Her face burned again.

"Wow I'm really not good with self expression " she laughed nervously. "I mean what even is a date?" She laughed nervously again realizing it was only relevant to her personal and unspoken thoughts. " I mean everypony around here knows I've never taken time for...romance, so they're always pushing me to find a special somepony....I mean not that I don't want that I just wonder how somepony like me will ever find that...I don't even know what I'm trying to say anymore " she admitted with a laugh. "I'm fine haha, and I'm happy to have your company in my endeavor." She smiled genuinely.

Voltaire listened, and good celestial was there a stronger word for awkward? He was tempted to tell her to just stop right there but figured that wouldn't help. 

Mince she was done Voltaire took a sip of his ice water and said "well I'm happy to be here ...ah I'm contradicting myself arnt I? No business tonight just ....relax .... Relax" he said to her 

"it's good to see you made some friends." He said calmly "can be difficult sometimes, I know. But it's a lot more difficult without them" Voltaire looked about the little resteraunt "do you eat out often? By the way?" He said trying to help her ease upon herself 

It's a lot more difficult without them. Voltaire's words resonated deeply. She admired his wisdom to the point of near jealousy. "You're so smart" she said dreamily then snapped out of it adding "Eating out is one of my favorite things to do, nothing like a friend and good food" she looked into his eyes and smiled shyly. "But it's nice to cook at home for yourself or friends too" 

"Sorry about my awkwardness," she was about to 'ruin' the perfect moment again and tried hard to restrict a smile, "it's not often I have a nice dinner with a stallion, let alone the best stallion in the room..." This was undoubtedly true as all the other stallions around were a bit....unappealing. She continued, her confidence growing as it does when she's being mischievous, "so where's the catch, strangely obsessed with tubs of jello?" Her smile could no longer be restrained and a gleeful and extra wide smile broke free.

Voltaire couldn't help but be a bit flustered as she gave him all the comments a tinge of red went on his face before he literally cooled it down with ice water. He held an ice cube in his cheek and crushed it as she finished 

"tubs of jelly? No ... No, well not yet?" He says jokingly running his chin as if considering it. He then looks back to her with a smirk "I do have the strange pathological need to take pretty mares for long walks in the moonlight after dinner!" 

Skelly was flattered by his statement and moved her hooves nervously, she really wanted to gaze into his eyes at that moment. She was not used to romance but she was beginning to understand why everypony made such a big deal about it. Butterflies filled her stomach.

Her hooves on the ground moved excitedly accidentally touching his, she retracted immediately and apologizing over and over. She hated helplessly watching herself be an awkward wreck but composed herself once more. "...Am I a...pretty mare?" she asked shyly, not wanting to assume or place expectations on Voltaire, a stallion whose words gained more importance and priority to Skelly with every moment.

Voltaire took another sip and calmly replayed "oh yes, very much so!" He had a short pause as he remembered the university days 

"even when we were younger, you always had a natural ....delightful charm." He said stopping for a moment too make sure she didn't faint. ... And gently he continued 

"and I have to say you matured very well." 

"Oh my Celestia, yusss!" Skelly replied as if beating a water level in an old game. "Haha era I mean, I'm flattered, I had no idea you thought that about me. To be honest, at the university I never let myself think of you too often because you seemed so perfect, I was afraid to fall for you in fear of rejection. Really, you could still have a anypony you wanted."

She was finding it hard to make eye contact and knew she was blushing.This caused her to laugh faintly under her breath. Not wanting to deter him she feigned confidence adding, "You know what like to do with handsome stallions?" her tone was menacing now and she had a wide smile.

Voltaire looked around. Her outburst seemed to at least temporarily earn the attention of the resteraunt 

But more importantly "good lord I created a monster" he said to himself.

hunter then crawled in between his legs and up on his lap. Upon seeing the two he slowly snuck back Down not wanting to be a part of this!

voltaire starred into her eyes and asked " go home and read strange fiction novels with them?" He asked assuming this was more in character with her.

Skelly giggled and in a very anticlimactic manner said "I don't know I've never really been in this situation before." She giggled again, "Although your idea sounds pretty good too." She was having fun with Voltaire, she admitted "Maybe you're just making me blush too much and I'm trying to get 'revenge'"
She did her best to keep from staring into Voltaire's eyes.

As much as she enjoyed shocking Voltaire and seeing him shy she didn't want to be too much or worse, offend him. She composed herself, smiling unintentionally at him. "I do have a collection of artifacts and relics from the museum, just things they forgot over the years and some I did everything to get, I think you'd appreciate some of it. Not to far off from reading strange fiction novels. After the walk though, of course." she added with a shy smile.

Voltaire nodded "hmmm that does sound fun." Voltaire was a bit of a history buff. It would certainly be fun to look at some of the historical artifacts from the area. 

Voltaire looked at her studying her for a moment before he leaned over his hoof on the table 

"skelly; I please just relax and be yourself. There's no need to be so nervous. Your doing a great job and giving me some excellent company." 

Skelly smiled more. "You're great company. Let's get out of here and start that walk" she said contently, both had finished their meals about 15min beforehand. As they left the restaurant she realized she didn't have an excuse to hold his hoof. 

She asked shyly "Is it okay if I um...hold your hoof??" She knew it wouldn't be a problem but she felt it necessary to ask anyways.

Voltaire walked with her and smiles "... Of course you can" he says reaching out and gently taking her hoof in his holding her closely.

voltaire looks up to the night sky and to the stars. He always loved it when he could see the stars. A token Of Luna's love, and a reminder of the vast deep was of the universe.

"skelly? All these years, were you alone because you truly wanted to be?" He asked her, wanting to know 

Skelly felt warm and fuzzy. She wondered anout this herself now that she felt what it was like to even think romantically. She paused in thought finally concluding "I suppose I always felt a little nervous about romance, everypony does but I never got past it I guess, not to mention the risk of heartbreak. It's intimidating. But so is being alone."

she felt like it sounded sad but it didn't bother her. She turned to Voltaire appreciating his appearance and company.

Voltaire listened to her and nodded understanding her perspective. 

He Replyed "I myself; never really considered it. I always put my work first. And doing all the moving around and dangerous work I often do." He then stopped on picking a particularly night spot where the ocean and the stars seemed to seamlessly meet and said 

"but ... Maybe now I ... We can try!" He said. He felt unnaturally warm and his heart fluttered about nervous and exited and a bit frightened all, at the same time. 

Skelly felt like she could melt. She knew she probably looked very silly and undoubtedly at his whim but she couldn't care about that. She was excited and anxious at the responsibility but too tempting to pass up.

Skelly nudged closer feeling Voltaire's chest, it felt very nice to show affection, for once in her life she felt the possible reward was worth the possible risk. Her heart felt full, "Indeed we will!" Skelly announced happily. She felt charged with a strange energy she'd never felt before, it made her smile constantly and she couldn't help but walk as closely to Voltaire as comfortably possible.

Voltaire held his eyes shut thinking of the possibilities. Then he took her in for a deep hug holding her close wrapping his neck around hers.

and as he held her a strange sense of peace went over him. It was a delightful new sensation! 

"Perfect" he simply whispered 

Internally Skelly was squealing like a little filly, but she just held him tightly feeling like any moment she'd wake up from this dream. Time seemed to stop and she embraced him lovingly.  

The rest of the walk felt effortless as if she floated the entire way. "Well, here it is" she said as they came upon a small but nice cottage, with an equally small and nice garden filled with garden gnomes. she guided him up the porch and inside.

Voltaire took a good look at the gnomes, seemingly worried, but then continued to the porch.

"seems lovley. Must be nice. I've always felt that ... Home is a state of mind, not a place" he said as he ran his hoof along the woodwork admiring it.

he let go of her hoof and waited by the door. Not wantin to overstep his boundary.

She noticed his worried look at the gnomes and couldn't help but giggle at the fact everypony reacts that way to them. "They're supposed to be lucky and protect the garden, I love legends and mythical creatures and beings." 

She guided him into the house where they sat on a vintage couch that had a colorful knitted blanket over it. "I'll be right back." The room had shelves with all sorts of idols, artifacts, books, minerals, and crystals. A large window overlooked the garden and had a few small potted plants on the windowsill. A small table was covered with various sweetly scented plants and a mortar.

Skelly returned using her magical horn to carry a large, old, wooden chest and set it down on the intricate rug which looked like it could've been an artifact too.

Voltaire wanted to tell her why he didn't like gnomes. But that was not an aprpriate story. 

However he quite enjoyed the inside. He sat on the couch looking around at the various sights.  With a keen interest. 

Hunter was about to pounce up to join him but he quickly signaled "no! I think she doesn't want fox hair all over her nice blanket and couch!" He got a dirty look from the fox before he curled up at his feet. 

He put some of his own magic on the box helping her carry it. He stood up looking at the cheast in awe. "Wow. I can tell there some unique things in here to say the least!"

Archived