"Yes, I regret to say I don't know that much about most of these artifacts however that is what makes them valuable. You see almost all of these are from origins unknown." Her face lit up with passion. 

"Some of these relics are so old....." she paused with wonder, "so old nopony would believe...." A few objects were, she explained, chunks from architecture of unknown material or never before seen minerals. Some objects had strange writing and symbols that couldn't be related to any culture, history or language. 

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Voltaire watches with wonder, and amazement! He holds all the objects with magic making sure to put as little pressure on them as possible as he observes them. 

He took particular interest in the symbols. He was no linguist but he still made an attempt to possibly decipher it.

He tried to keep his questions to things she could answer like 

"where did you say this one comes from?" And "what do you think?" 

He had the upmost regard for these alien objects but also a slight fear.

Skelly was happy to see she wasn't the only one who appreciated such things. "Some of these relics have very back stories, like this ," she said lifting a strange amulet with her magic, "I wouldn't have added it to my collection if I didn't have my unicorn telekinesis, everypony who's laid of hoof on it have all died mysteriously, after the death of 27 ponies I acquired it, it was noted that only physical contact with the amulet resulted in death but many skeptics refused to heed the words."

She placed it in the chest carefully. "This chest is enchanted to keep these relics safe and confined in more than one way." 

As she explained the amulet Voltaire was tempted to tap it with his hoof. Just to see if the curse was up to the challenge. But he refrained. Trying to learn about it from the design.

as she explained the chest he took a moment to observe it and asked her "really? How so? Specials scry spells, enchanted locks?"

Skelly smiled nostalgically, "It's been in my family for generations. My family has always been into magic, some more than others but generally it is part of the family heritage. The actual chest is carved from willow and enchanted with a magical seal by my first ancestors to reach Equestria, each time it is passed on, the keeper enchants it with a new spell and carves these symbols," she pointed at a series of nine symbols which were etched into the chest so many times it was difficult to see where mark began and ended, "these symbols are like magic runes, unique to my family, a sort of seal or sigil."

She always felt a special feeling when she spoke about her family heritage and magic. "This chest gets stronger with generation...." It had gotten very late and there was much to do in the morning. "Goodness, look at the time, I'll bring you some blankets and a pillow." She returned shortly with 2 more handknit blankets and a pillow. She converted the couch into a bed and made the bed for Voltaire. "Well, goodnight, it'll be hard to sleep after such an exciting evening." she giggled, wishing she could really cuddle with Voltaire.

Voltaire checked the time and internally  cursed himself. He always intended to set her to bed early

it just seemed time moved so fast when he was with her. He internally noted to be more perceptive of time. By the time he was done contemplating she had made a little bed for him "why thank you; I was prepared to rent an inn."

he smiled to her and stood close caressing her face "well tomorrow is bound to be eventful, you should get some sleep" he said 

"Good night, my darling". 

It was the first time he truest really acknowledged what they said after dinner. And the first time in a long time he felt really good. 

Skelly couldn't get over how sweet Voltaire was, within the fleeting first hours of reuniting he had already become the pony to make her happy and smile more than anypony ever had. She was looking forward to tomorrow despite all the concerns just because she knew she'd be with Voltaire. "Goodness no, you already broke the rules and paid for dinner, this job is supposed to have zero expenses for you." she smiled and laughed softly.

Voltaire caressed her face and called her darling, the combination made her feel light headed and silly. "Goodnight" she smiled lovingly, wishing she could call him something just as sweet. That night her dreams were still strange but even during sleep her joy could not be shaken.

Voltaire laughed having said he role the rules. In all honesty it didn't matter to him. He watched her leave with a smile and sat down on his bed stretching out. 

"She still is an odd pony: I can never deny that he said to Hunter as they cuddled up on the bed. 

Voltaire woke up with a slight jolt. Recalling the events of the night he relaxed. Hunter stood watching over him as he slept but as soon as he was awake he went off. Likely to seek outside to go catch something to eat. 

He dare not wake skelly just yet knowing she needed some sleep and instead chose to admire some of her decorations. 

He was tempted to make her some breakfast or coffee but he also didn't want to root around her stuff. 

Skelly was awakened by the sunlight shining through her window , she knew she should hurry but she always got up slowly. She got up and walked over to her window where she quietly tended a small window garden. Again knowing she should be rushing. She yawned and stretched for a few minutes then made her bed and left her room. 

"Good morning!" She said cheerfully to Voltaire. "I'm just going to make some breakfast. Do you like apple fritters? Coffee, tea or juice?", she asked as she walked to the kitchen . 

Voltaire watched as she entered the room. She seems so beautiful to him, his lover!"

"apple fritter actually sounds delicious! Let me warn you I'm a bit spoiled when it comes to coffee, between France and South America I became a bit of a snob, here let me help!" He said as he came up along side her hugging her from behind as he helped her remove the items needed for breakfast 

as he worked he asked "so when do you plan on visiting the estate?"

Voltaire made Skelly feel like she had a big sun inside of her heart. Every touch and hug made intoxicated her with joy. "Go right ahead" she replied, making sure to watch the process and ask about his experiences traveling. She loved hearing about other lands. 

"Well I suppose it's best to leave earlier, there won't be too much preparation as I won't be moving in my things till I approve of the estate. It won't take more than an hour by train." 

Voltaire made some coffe measuring t out precisely following a good recipe a barista taught him. He told her story's about his travels and how beautiful the city's and beaches. And he also promised to take her there one day

"ok so let's not waste any time" he said as he set the coffee to brew. "Here I'll handle the rest you pack whatever you want to bring" he said as he placed a hand on her hoof and gently took her spatula. 

" do you want to stay over night?" He asked he had control over breakfast

Skelly had met Voltaire years ago but she was still surprised by his great personality, he was so kind and caring. She smiled at him slyly as he took the spatula  and answered, "Yes, it's important I sleep in the house-" realizing how frantic that sounded she composed herself and continued, "it's dangerous in general living alone when you're a mare, especially at night and Im only slightly familiar with the area, Innsmouth..."

"Innsmouth?" He said pausing slightly before setting a fritter on a plate 

he said his thoughts aloud "I've never truly heard of an innouth. In This area." 

Voltaire trained hard. One of the things they taught him in training was how to fight the fear of the unknown some days he would wake up not knowing if he would be on top of the highest mountain or the bottom of the ocean. But this ... Innsmouth; something about it seemed sinister 

"I see my darling; me and hunter will always be close by" he said finishing up

"It's a ferry ride away, after the train ride that is." She hugged Voltaire sweetly, "I don't know what I'd do if you weren't here for this." She was shy but her happiness outweighed that.

She focused informing him that she also felt odd, "Im beginning to consider researching the town before leaving but I also feel silly for worrying." She thought deeply trying to decide. "What do you think?", asking Voltaire for his advice.

Voltaire set the table with there breakfast and coffee. He said to her 

"honestly ... It all does seem a bit strange. This investigation is indeed for the best though. If only to quench or own discovery." He began to eat and talked between bites "so ... You never heard of this place either?" He asked

"if worse comes to worse we can always sell the land" he says honestly 

Skelly sat down and picked up a fritter, "Research it is then!" She enjoyed her fritter  and admitted after halfway through her mug of coffee "This is by far the best coffee I've ever had, I don't drink coffee often though," she giggled nervously "it makes me jittery." 

"Anyways, I know it's not too far and that it's northern coast is one four coasts to surround Devils Reef. Creepy right? Not sure why it's named that but I can't imagine it's anything more than any other reef. Do you you anything of Devils Reef?"

Voltaire nodded 

"only by reputation. Every now and then I'll hear story's about boats sinking on it and such." What kind of information do you think we can find on this innsmouth?"

Voltaire though "perhaps this place may be well suited for you? You always did have a love for the strange and mysterious" he said looking around her well decorated cabin 

Skelly pondered, "We can look through some state records at the local library, I'm good friends with the librarian. Haha I think you might be right, I wonder if that's why Hexter lived there? He was an odd pony..."

It was very possible that Hexter and Skelly were similar. "To the library then." She grabbed a single pack and an extra fritter, guiding Voltaire out of her home and finally stepping outside and locking the door behind her. "The library is back this way"

"It's true I do love my current home. But I enjoy traveling and moving into new places. The inheritance is too great to pass up, I'm curious to see if it's too good to be true. If it is then I'll have to decide what to do with my current home, I haven't figured it out quite yet.

"Here we are, the local library." Skelly smiled, "I spend a lot of time here. Hello, Helvetica!" Skelly waved to the librarian, an older mare with a stereotypical librarian appearance. Skelly spoke to her asking about then town and resources. Helvetica walked them to an area retrieving a few books and setting them on a nearby table for them to research. Before leaving Helvetica coyly told Skelly "you never introduced your friend? Who are you?" Helvetica asked Voltaire kindly.

voltaire entered the library with her. He was surprised it was opened so early. The librarian, deftly named Helvetia gave them some books. He held them all for her and he was about to open one up named "history of the hill towns" when she asked who he was 

"pardon me in all this literary excitement I seem to have forgotten my manners! Voltaire Altiereere, special requisitions officer of the princess. At your service" he said dramatically as he always does 

"and my faithful companion Hunter the fox" Hunter sat down and stuck his left paw out as if he were a pony willing to shake hooves" 

Helvetica smiled warmly at Voltaire and Hunter and then Skelly, "Well let me know if you need anything else, you know where to find me." she told Skelly and walked away. Skelly opened a small, old book called "Innsmouth: Before the Revolution", the pages were weak with age and smelled strange the way old books often do. "It says here that it was a ship building town, established in 1643....hmm this book offers little more than basic facts. Let me check this one..." Skelly said picking up the other book titled "Encyclopedia of Rhode Island" also an old book but not as old as the other and much larger. Skelly opened the book turning to the index, "Innsmouth...page 28, 83 and 120..."

The first page mentioning Innsmouth contained about the same facts and figures as the previous book, page 83 mentioned the towns ship building and how it aided the country, but as Skelly flipped towards page 120 she realized the chapter in which it was located was a chapter called "Legends, Anomalies and Conspiracy Theories". She read from the page aloud to Voltaire, "Innsmouth was an important asset to the country in the late 1600s because it was essentially the shipbuilding state and it's port was necessary for importing and exporting goods. Just off the port is Devil's Reef," Skelly looked at Voltaire when she read Devil's Reef, she continued, "which during the governments siege of Innsmouth was filled with explosives and destroyed. Not much is known why Devil's Reef was targeted, it's possible they didn't want to destroy anything they planned to take over but this event has resulted in many conspiracy theories. Though it cannot be confirmed, multiple sources have said that after the detonation, government officials came to Innsmouth to force the citizens to leave, however there was no evidence of an evacuation or force used to remove them.....these sources claim the citizens were made to...disappear..." Skelly read in confusion. 

She looked at Voltaire with her brow furrowed in skepticism. "Well that's a very vague and bold statement...Well let's see what it says about Devil's Reef..." She continued to read, "Devil's Reef was destroyed after the multiple explosions but it is not known if that is when it acquired the name or if the reef was named 'Devil's' reef before the raid. In 1846, Captain  Mariner and several   other ponies were arrested at the site, it is said they were performing a ritual and this can be corroborated with the police report, the conspiracy theory here is that Mariner and the others belonged to a cult, the Esoteric Order of Dagon. This is most likely a myth created by the pious early settlers to scare ponies into going back to church and seek safety through the Ponestant religion which had been losing power and followers."

"Well that is definitely an interesting story. Not sure how much is true or even plausible but this is a good start." Skelly concluded, "What do you think?"

Voltaire had a hard time finding information. In the end he just listened to skelly. 

Demolition of the reef? Cultists? Mass disappearance!

voltaire shook his head "well ... I don't believe any of it." He said cooly "I think the only way we will ever learn anything about the estate is to go there and figure it out for ourself!" He said standing up taking some of the books with his magic offering his hand to hold

"I agree." Skelly said as she put the books on the return shelf and held Voltaire's hand and they walked out of the library. Skelly was torn between feeling ridiculous and paranoid and feeling a strange sense of impending doom. 

They finally arrived at the train station, which was time consuming but in time they arrived at a harbor where they finally took the ferry to the island of Innsmouth. As the ferry sailed across the dark waters a gray fog crept slowly about the island. She shuddered and clung to Voltaire as she felt a chill.

Archived