[Starfall] The Long Road to Diplomacy (Closed)

FiniteZero

He blinked," Your family?  I-I'm sorry...I had no idea,"

He facehoofed, a saddening look upon his face.

He closed his eyes and took a deep breath, "I didn't know...I swear!  I'm so, so sorry..."

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"What happened to her?" Radiant asked again.

A worry began to build up in his soul. Just how bad was it? A part of him didn't want to hear it.

Though, if it was this bad, perhaps he shouldn't know. It could prove a distraction from the mission.

He threw that train of thought out. Just the wondering and the worry would be distracting no matter what happens.

He grimaced, "Honestly-guard to guard-I don't really know.  There was a new training exercise for the new regime-and something happened.  End of story-the exercise was deemed dangerous and never to be completed again, a few dozen Wonderbolts had gotten injuries-and one...well...,"  He trailed off.  

His guard composure had long melted, and he was keeping himself from hurdling onto the floor of the carriage.  

"...can never fly again,"  

He had been the one organizing the exercise.  When a few Wonderbolts asked about whether or not it would be dangerous in the windy and wet weather-he had refused to back down.  It'll be like boot camp and training.  They gotta learn how to keep up with the weather.

If only he had knew the consequences...

A chill ran down Radiant's spine. "No..."

His breathing shuddered, his heart hastened, and his mind reeling.

The world dropped out from under him, and he did not want to be caught.

"Silvy..."

His eyes moistened, but he did not let a single tear fall. He grimaced, mashing his teeth together.

He removed his helmet, and took a deep breath. He then let out a cry of anguish as he smashed his head against the glass hard enough to crack it. The Minister jumped in surprise.

Radiant let out his breath, calmly replaced his helmet onto his head, and looked out the cracked window.

Agile bit his lip as Radient fumed.  

A crack.

The window.

He bit his lip harder, until he could almost taste the silvery steel of blood.

Silvy...

He stood firm-he was, afterall, best at dealing with angry diplomats and fuming royals.  He steeled his head forwards and stepped protectively towards the Minister.  Family matter or not-right now-his job came first.

Radiant Silver continued to stare out of the window silently.

Until he turned his head slightly. "I'm fine."

True, he still felt horrible... But he was able to get it to a more manageable level in one quick burst.

"You wouldn't be taking it well either, if you found out this way." Radiant said. "The fact that I wasn't so much as notified..."

He let out a sigh, choosing not to finish that thought.

Radiant turned to the Minister. "What is the name of the town?"

"Huh?" The Minister said.

"We are taking a zepplin to a small town in the Crystal Empire. What is the name of the town?"

"Oh, let me see..." Helping said as he pulled a piece of paper out of his suit. "Erm... Fractal."

"Fractal, huh." Radiant said. "Can't say I've heard of it. Any reason there in particular?"

"Trying to keep a low profile, I guess." Helping said. "The Heir of Magic does not want anyone to know about this mission."

Fractal.

He frowned.  He prided himself in knowing all the in's and out's of the REG, especially any town that would be part of a mission.  It's just that...the name...it seemed so surreal.  

Radient seemed confused as well~

He turned to the Minister, and walked closer and closer.  

He leaned in to his ear, "Now-why don't you tell us-what's the real mission?"

(Minister, not Heir)

"Officially? To broker peace with the Griffons." The Minister said. "That's what they told me. I'm pretty sure I'm just supposed to stall them long enough to finish the defences on the border."

Radiant's eyes widened slightly. "So we are gearing for war. I figured as much."

Helping Hooves nodded. "It's going to happen, not a lot I can do about it. We and the other Equestrian nations have been rather hush-hush about it, but it's hard to keep something like that secret for long. This is why I'm rather nervous about this mission; The second things turn south, and it will, we have to get out of the country before they kill us. Assuming they don't capture and execute us on thr spot, of course."

• 2 weeks later...

All of a sudden, the Minister calmed down.  Gone was the stuttering and nervous twitching.  He was confident, calm, and spoke perfectly.  Like a Minister should.

It was almost as if he had been putting up an act...

The words registered into his ear, and he hardened his jaw.  War.  It wasn't a pleasant thing.  Griffons-it might have been Equestria's ally long ago-but not anymore.  He patted his hidden weapons, and turned towards Radient.

"Keep the Wonderbolts aware of the situation, and tell them the entire truth.  Tell them to be prepared for war.  Do not tell the Heirs anything,"

He walked away from the Minister, snatching a sheet of paper and some ink.  Drastic times called for drastic measures-it was time the REA pay up to his favours.

"I should be able to sneak a message to them." Radiant said with confidence.

"Good, good. Once everything goes south, we'll have an escape plan." The Minister said. "We aren't dying there if I can help it. He wouldn't like that." He flicked his ears. "Plus, I have a little extra help waiting for us in Fractal. One more guard never hurt anypony."

The driver flicked her eyes towards the Minister for a split second.

"Are you scared?" Radiant asked.

"Oh, terrified." The Minister replied calmly. "But I think I got a hold of it for now."

He leaned over once again and whispered into the Minister's ear, "You knew all of this, didn't you?  You weighed out all the risks and already planned everything,"

He paused, "I think it's rather brave of you to defy the Heirs' orders,"

He turned back to Radient, handing over the sheet of paper and ink, "Send it under my name, and tell them they have full access to my contact list.  I'm going to check up on this...driver of ours,"

Radiant nodded, and slid the paper into a hidden compartment in his armor. One of the secrets about New Equestrian Royal Guards is that they can be used as secret courriers between Heirs.

"Thank you." Minister Hooves said. "I do have a lot to lose. I don't intend to take unnecessary risks, even if that means skirting a few rules." He then dropped his voice to a hush. "I'll go over the real plan once we're on the Zepplin."

He approached the head of the carriage, sliding open the compartment window to speak to the driver.

"Excuse me-miss?  Could I ask you a few questions?"

The driver kept her head forward. "Sure-can-do!" She replied cheerily. Her front hooves held onto the wheel, placed in two cups meant to make it easier for hooves to turn. Her rear hooves handled the accelerator and the breaks. "Whatcha wanna know?"

He stared at her, before taking a deep breath and continuing, "How did you receive this job?"  

A simple questions~  But her answer could change everything.  It was simple enough to not seem suspicious, a good question indeed~

"Well, when I was a weeeee little ponpon, my dad owned a carriage company. I found I rather liked pulling carriages, so that's when I got my cutie mark! And, well, I don't want to become irrelevant, so I learned to drive these newfangled thingies!" The pink pony explained. "And that's how I became a driver!"

"Ooooooohhhh." The pink mare said. "Well, apparently I'm related to one of the original Elements. I forgot which one. Probably Applejack. Aaaaanyways, I drive Heirs around town on their day-to-day affairs. And now I'm driving a Minister to the Airport." She then switched to a very forced voice. "For a perfectly average vacation to the Crystal Empire." She gave him a long, exaggerated wink.

This mare...was weird. 

"Thanks ma'am,"

He turned back to Radient and the Minister, "Do any of you...know anything about this driver?  There's something off about her..."

"Yeah, I know Hard Drivin." Radiant said. "I know, weird name." He said, pre-empting the Minister's look. "She's... Odd, yes, but I haven't noticed anything dangerous about her when I worked with her before."

He shook his head, "She not dangerous-that's the least I know.  But she knows something we don't about this mission.  Something I intend to find out,"

He walked fell into 'guard stance' once more, staring straight ahead and out the window.  

This just got a lot more complicated than I expected.

Radiant stared out of the other window. This mission just kept getting more and more complicated.

The automatic carriage rode through the airport. It drove towards one in particular, a small armored zepplin in the corner. From the name painted on the side, Radiant saw that it was called the "Blitzkrieg". The car parked, and he exited the vehicle, Helping Hooves following.

"Hoovsies! It is so good to see you!" A muscular, gray stallion said. His mane and mustache was powder white, his eyes emerald, his cutie mark a black silhouette of a zepplin with a yellow lightning bolt. His voice was deep, gravelly, and booming.

"Lead! I didn't know you'd be our ride!" The Minister said, a wide smile splitting his face.

Lead Zepplin let off a chuckle. "I may have heard that you needed a ride, and I might have pulled a string or two. Now, I don't know why you're going off to some dinky town in the Crystal, but I won't ask if you won't tell."

The carriage rode through the airport, and landed safely.  he stepped out last, following the Minister.  Then, all of a sudden, the booming, earthly voice of a stallion shook the eardrums of his ears.  The stallion looked too casual to be addressing the very Minister, but the two old friends were smiling and laughing right away.  He stared uneasily, as he usually did.  This stallion was to be questioned later.  

Radient seemed calm enough, even after facing all the strange circumstances that followed them.  But it was something the personal guards were probably used to: drama, schemes, and most of all-insanity.  

He took a deep breath and exhaled through his mouth.  This was going to be one long journey.

Archived