Official Discussion Thread - S06E12 Spice Up Your Life

rarity_and_pinkie_pie_by_romansiii-d4v60

What do you mean you ship us?!?

Another week and another episode with the adorable ponies we all love!  This week we have our second Rarity-Pinkie Pie episode of the season!  From a paring that we virtually never see to twice in one season! :Rarity: :Pinkie: So this time our odd couple is paired to solve a friendship problem in Canterlot, how will they work together?  How much will it involve a canon full of confetti?  How many fashionable outfits will Rarity sport? Will this episode be enough to get us through the mini-hiatus? :| Tune in the find out! The episode airs Saturday 11:30 AM EST on June 4th!! :) <3

This thread is dedicated to discussing the episode before, during, and afterwards. As the thread is now open it may indeed contain spoilers. I ask that potential spoilers talked about or shown before the episode airs stay within the spoiler tags please, after the episode you no longer have to use the spoiler tags, but warning, if you haven't seen the episode yet after it airs, this thread no doubt will have all sorts of spoilers in reviews, images, etc. So tread at your own risk. :blush:

What is this, did somebody watch Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares and get really annoyed with it? They even got a lookalike of Mr. Ramsay in there! He's been calling people donkeys for years and now he finally is one! :lol: Too bad they didn't give him a speaking part.

(Oh yeah, and Honey Lemon's there too!)

Yet again, we see an episode that shamelessly panders to the lowest common denominator by insulting high-society culture. My rating: -3 hooves. :|

Thoughts below in spoilers as per the norm.

Spoiler

Wow.

I'll be completely honest with you... I was a little worried about this one. For the most part, 'map' episodes tend to not be that great.

However, that certainly wasn't the case this time.

Maybe Pinkie and Rarity really was the best pair? :lol:

Either way I quite liked this one. Especially the restaurant ponies. Even the song was relatively decent. Very good and catchy. That's saying something coming from me when I don't tend to like songs. :blush:

Not surprisingly Pinkie and Rarity were doing the wrong jobs at first but fixed it at the end.

That food critic though... clearly a jerk. :roll:

Glad to see Rarity put them in their place.

I really don't know how to put this one. I just really liked it. It's hard for me to describe what I like about certain episodes I guess. The entire episode just gelled really well I guess? I'm really not good at this... :unsure:

It seemed like the moral was 'don't always believe ratings from so called 'critics' you should always try to see what others think of it first or just give it a chance and try it yourself. You never know, you may like it.' Or something like that I guess. Either way I liked that too. :)

Surprisingly unexpected decent map episode.

:D

Pretty good. Not exceptional, but overall enjoyable.

The song was both the best and worst part of it for me. It was catchy and easy to listen to and really captured the vibe it was going for musically... but, I don't think it did well by the episode's conflict. The point of the montage should be that they're both failing, both doing something wrong, but instead both the Pinkie and Rarity verses focus on Rarity's mistake. It feels seriously unbalanced and kind of takes me out of what should be this really cool moment for the episode.

Actually, pretty much throughout I think it fails to underline the fact that Pinkie's approach is just as flawed as Rarity's--that to just be themselves and keep doing what they're doing is what they're already doing, and it's failing miserably.

But that gripe aside, I liked it. Liked the premise. Saffron had a great design. It was a good map episode.

Though as the episode to end on for now, our mid-season finale so to speak, it did feel a bit small.

Great episode! 

Spoiler

Love the new ponies Coriander and Saffron! They bring something new to the setting and provided a unique dynamic between father and daughter in the same business. 

While Zesty is like a Gordon Ramsey, she is also like Madame Mallory from The Hundred-Foot Journey. In a nutshell, an Indian family from Mumbai travel to a town in France to seek asylum after an uprising. Their son is gifted in cooking but isn't respected by his father who claims he knows best. Their Indian themed restaurant comes into conflict with a French cuisine restaurant across the street and their owner Madame Mallory who has a Michelline Star rated restaurant. Although the ending of the film and the episode are different, their initial prejudices to something unique in cuisine are uncanny. 

While the song is unbalanced placing the blame on Rarity, it was catchy. 

I think the moral speaks to anypony who is creating something: no pony should tell you how to create or run your life. Sadly this is seen a lot in the world of the Internet where criticism is mostly negative rather than constructive, but I digress.

Also like the other minor ponies in this episode like the Guy Ferri pony who owned a grill place and the Julia Child pony as well as the two Seattle tourists. 

Cute episode. Like Kunio18, I really want some curry.

Spoiler

I really like Saffron Masala' design.

I do like how they didn't make the other restaurant owners villains, but instead they all turn up to support the grand re-re-opening of Tasty Treat.

And Zesty's comment about Rarity and Pinkie was pretty funny.

"Rarity can tell you what hats to wear with which skirts. Her friend can tell you how to maintain a tragic look for a frizzy mane."

Archived