Exploring the Ruins... (open)

Ashton

(Sorry. I'm sure there is a solution, but I can't think of anything right now. Probably doesn't help that I'm tired too.)

Tehengu growled as he looked around again, not spotting anything useful. "Any ideas?" He asked, looking to Dunes. 

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

((its, fine, if your not good with these kind of puzzles, I'll skip over them, just making a minor note about dunes having to stop to bypass another 'trap'))

Dunes grumbled as he headed back down the stairs into the castle "Much as I hate risking my life with untrusted magic, it seems the only entrance is that main one" he said as he walked back, then thought a moment "you said you barely moved towards the end even though you seemed to, but you looked back at me..." he thought a moment "turn around, don't look at the hallway" 

once tango was looking away, Dunes backed up a few steps and took a galloping leap... backwards! Indeed it worried him, knowing he'd have a hard time maneuvering... but his gambit paid off as he landed on solid ground on the far side of the maze 'so it was simply a refrain spell' he thought to himself, knowing more about magic than he let on, but still disliking it "just fly backwards!" he called to tango, wondering for a moment why he was helping the bird who he should see as competition, if not an outright threat... he must be getting soft...

(Well, I don't mind puzzles, I'm just not good at seemingly infinite walkways, apparently.)

Tehengu's brow furrowed a bit at Dunes' words, not really following the logic but not saying anything about it. He turned away from the hallway as Dunes did his thing, flying through backwards and landing next to the stallion. "Well, I guess we should keep going then."

((it's from my stock bag of tricks, I pick them up along and along, I have mroe than a few and most are complicated enough that where I find them, they dont even expect the player/reader/etc to solve them, the characters solve them themselves))

Dunes nodded as he walked "So then, if your looking for something specific... what might that be?" he asked, there was an obvious curiosity to his voice, but no doubt from what he said earlier, he was also worried about 'powerful magic relics falling into the wrong hooves' and was afraid he might end up having to take it from his current partner if it turned out to be a dangerous artifact...

"Some book. Didn't sound dangerous from the title, but what do I know?" He said, shrugging. "Guess we'll see."

He fell silent after that, walking along and keeping an eye out for threats or traps. 

"Depends, if your looking for a first edition of 'Little Mares' then it's fine, if your looking for 'Tea with Cthulu' or 'demon summoning for foals' then that's a whole different story" he said, now idly wondering if the library, if it was still in good shape, really did contain any rare first-edition books... or worse books like he'd mentioned...

Dunes stopped "Your lieing." he said "The way your dodging my questions, obviously your after a dark spellbook of black magic..." he said, turning to face tango, a dangerous look in his eye "Are you even really a griffen? Maybe a cult unicorn using an illusion spell, or a rogue changeling..." he took a defensive stance "Either way, it's my responsibility to stop your foul scheme!" now the whip was in his mouth, which was not a good sign...

((doncha love how trusting he is? lol))

Tehengu watched the stallion, not pulling out his weapons yet. 

"Really? What question did I avoid there? You didn't ask anything about the book." The griffon stared him down, standing his ground. 

"you kept implying a title you didn't want to tell me what was" said Dunes, speaking around his whip, which he had apparently gotten quite good at, even if there was a little bit of a slur to his words now and then thanks to him gripping the whip with his mouth, though he seemed to relax just the tiniest bit, clearly he didn't want to fight, it was more that he was worried over what the book might be and what it might be used for...

"The book is just some rare title, though it didn't sound magical at all. Like I said, I've worked for them before, they're a collector of rare things." Tehengu said, watching the stallion calmly. He didn't want to fight this stallion either, but he had no qualms about it if it came down to that. Even with the advantage of already having his weapon out, the griffon doubted that Dunes would win the battle. He had experience on his side, years of being a soldier and then a mercenary providing him with countless combat experience.

Dunes didn't like his odds, the confidence the griffen showed worried him, he was starting to wonder if it would be considered wrong if her 'accidentally' left the griffen behind somewhere, that wa he could never get to the treasure and also never escape... but then again the griffen might have other tricks up his sleeve, just like dunes did...

Dunes frowned "your still dodging the question "he said, though he did continue forward, putting his whip up, realizing that at least for now he was safe because the griffen needed him to get through these traps... so he had time to devise a plan...

"What? Did you expect me to perfectly memorize a book title I've only seen once or twice?" The griffon asked, raising an eyebrow. "I know what it looks like, and what kind of book it is."

Well, at least he had put his whip away now. That was good progress. Tehengu kept his gaze on the stallion, letting there be a moment of silence before he spoke again. 

"I don't care if you believe me about this or not, but I have a code. I never accept a job unless I'm sure it's not something bad, and I always complete a job once I've accepted it. I do not betray my allies, and I do not back down from an enemy I can beat." He said, his gaze hard, showing he meant every word. 

"Temporal Turmoil, a thesis on the dangers and benefits of Time Travel by Starswirl the Bearded, compiled by C. L. Eestia" said Dunes "Only heard about it once, been searching for it sense, the most comprehensive study on Time travel and alteration ever assembled, even if nopony has ever seen or met the compiler themselves" though there was a roll of his eyes, since it was rather obvious to him who the author really was "I've heard there are only two known copies, one in the canterlot royal archives, and once held by Princess Twilight Sparkle, some rumors even claim they're one and the same, that as a gift to celebrate her ascension, Princess Celestia gave it to Princess Twilight Sparkle" he paused as he looked at a long pit, contemplating how to cross "It's probably the rarest book published, despite over a hundred copies having been made those are the only ones known to exist and been authenticated" he paused "So, yes, a book title isn't exactly hard to remember" he kicked a loose piece of tile into the hole and waited to see when it hit bottom... and it never did... and a few minutes later the tile fell from somewhere above them and landed on the floor, surprising Dunes noticeably as he looked down then up at the cracked ceiling, then down again, then up one last time, thoroughly perplexed...

"All that proves is that you have a better memory than me when it comes to that. I never said it was impossible, just hard for me." Tehengu said simply as Dunes tested the pit they had found. He blinked a bit as the tile fell from the ceiling, making him look up too. 

"I hate magic." He grumbled, staring across the pit and trying to judge the distance. 

Dunes leaned a little too far though, with the damaged masonry, he suddenly felt himself falling, he lashed out with his whip, but was too slow... and fell... dissapearing into the darkness...

...then landing with a soft 'thud' back where he started...

Dunes blinked, shaken but unharmed "I dont understand..." he said, looking at the put and the cieling, starting to put 2 and 2 together "...the traps arent lethal..."

"Non-lethal?" Tehengu asked, looking to where Dunes had fallen onto the floor. "Well that's one less thing to worry about, but we still gotta get past them." He said, taking to the air and beginning to fly over the pit, careful to watch for threats. 

Dunes scratched his head "why even install non-lethal traps, it doesn't make sense" he said, but shook his head "maybe you can fly accross?" he suggested

Unfortunately, if tango did try to fly he would keep flying into invisible barriers... clearly there was a different way besides the obvious... of course considering this course was actually made for and by young alicorns, it made sense why there were precautions take for the 'easy way' so often... too bad neither of them had any idea this was just a 'fun' obstacle course and not a series of deadly traps...

(I feel like it's actually more in character for him not to know the solutions...)

"Already trying, in case you missed that." He replied simply, growling as he kept running into barriers. He landed next to Dunes and looked at him. 

"You're the smart one, I'm more of the muscle." Tehengu growled. 

((works for me, Dunes is used to this kinda thing, he'll figure them out given enough time))

"You trying to say I'm weak?" asked dunes with a fiant smirk, knowing that wasn't the intent but amused none the less. he looked at it critically "those barriers you flew into, where are they?" he asked, then when tango pointed them out, dunes tried to hit them with his whip, but there was no effect... no exccect except one time the whip snagged on something, which made dues do a double take, kicking a rick to the area it snagged on, and watching it sit there

"an invisible path..." he said "I'm sure it's not straight, but at least we knnow what we're dealing with now"

"Not exactly, just that I'm stronger."Tehengu replied, pointing out where he had felt the barriers. He watched Dunes try his whip, raising his eyebrow as the whip caught as well as the rock thrown afterwards. 

"So we just follow that path?" He asked, drawing an arrow and firing it past the rock to see where the path went next. 

"I guess" said dunes as he leapt towards the rock... and proceeded to fall, landing back where he started, though his flank was starting to get sore "ok... lets try again..." he took a running leap and this time... fell again...

Now he was grumbling "looks like the path is narrow... and broken... this isn't going to be easy..."

((there's actually a simple solution to this, but dunes wont come up with it because it outside his 'logic' --- just toss some sand at the platforms and you can see where they are, but since he has no horn and no hands it wont occur to him))

Tehengu hummed slightly as he looked between where his arrow had hit and where the rock was sitting. It would take far too long to reveal it with arrows. Perhaps something finer...

After looking around a bit, he returned with claws filled with dirt from outside. 

"This would probably be faster." He said simply, tossing one out towards the rock and letting the spread of dirt reveal the path as much as it could. "I've fought magically invisible enemies before, this works pretty well." He explained before Dunes could question it. 

As the dust and dirt settled, it did reveal the path, including quite a few missing sections, though wheather it was by design or simply due to age and decay was not clear

Dunes nodded "your smarter than I gave you credit for" he smirked, not being entirely rude. he began carefully jumping from one platform to the next, almost falling off one of the smalelr ones, but he made it to the opposite side, panting slightly and looking mroe than glad to be back on visible ground "ok... that was... something! yep, deffinately something!" he said, clearly getting over the unnerving fear of falling though the invisible platforms...

Seems he didn't need the rest of this dirt, so he let it drop onto the floor as Dunes made it across and he followed behind. 

"Life or death situations tend to hammer these things home." He said, shrugging. He didn't really consider himself to be smart, but he wasn't dumb either. 

Archived