Happy Derpday! (Open)

RainbowFoxxy

pinkie%20banner%20copy_zps8fylce9d.jpgdashiebanner_zps8kipjuya.jpg

"Pinkie Pie, you've totally outdone yourself! I mean just when I think you can't get any cooler you throw an even more unimaginably epic party!" Rainbow looked out over the scene before her. 

"I knnoooowwww! This is gonna be the most super duper extra special funniest fun time party anypony has ever seen!" Pinkie surveyed her work with a huge smile and a bounce.

"Who ever heard of having this many fun rides at a party? I mean it sure was a coincidence that those ponies that rent carnival rides were passing through Ponyville. And it was an even bigger coincidence that they had already decided to stop here for the night. And an even bigger coincidence that they wanted to trade sweets from Sugarcube Corner in exchange for setting up the rides and running them for us!"

"Yeah! That's a pretty sweet deal!"

"Ha! You're hilarious Rainbow Dash!"

"Oh yeah, sweet! Ha! I didn't even get that!"

"Hanging out with me brings out the funny fun in everypony!" Pinkie hooked a foreleg around her best friend. "I'm super excited you got Spitfire to stop by later tonight to do a special flying firework presentation!"

"Everything for this party is gonna be awesome!"

Everything was ready! Fun carnival games and rides, sweet treats and prizes, a firework show! All that was missing were the guests and of course the guest of honor!

"So, when's the Derpster supposed to show up?"

"Everypony is supposed to be here any minute now!"

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

2mcczdx.jpg

IT’S HER BIRTHDAY, IT’S HER BIRTHDAY! Today was the birthday of Ponyville’s most beloved (and only) googly-eyed mare, Derpy Hooves!!! Birthdays were always a special occasion for the pegasus. A chance to bask in the glow of cheer of celebrating ponies. A chance to endlessly marvel at every single gift, no matter if it was something already owned. A chance to recollect fond memories of the goof-ups of the last year. Derpy would have never wanted to arrive late at her birthday party for anything the world!

Which was why the blonde mare was... at the complete opposite side of Ponyville, still sleeping soundly in her own bed. Yeaaaaah..... Derpy was sleeping in on her own birthday, AGAIN, after having spent almost all of last night binge-reading a mystery novel series. Oh well; nopony’s perfect. Since the gray pegasus had not been seen at all today, those who knew her best would eventually realize that she’d need to be collected from her home. Just like last year, and the year before.....

2nVY1oE.jpg

*RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIING!* 

Went the alarm clock before a hoof came down with heavy enough amount of force to shut it off... but delivered at the wrong angle so as the brass clock slid off her table and landed on the floor with a resounding "thunk" noise. The mare let out a loud yawn as she got down off the mattress and glared at a few birds tweeting loudly by the window. With a almost drunken stumble she pulled herself from the sheets and made her way to the galley area of her crashed vessel on the outskirts of Ponyville. The mare's mane was a large fuzzy mess of random unkempt curls now that fluffed out in several directions.

Ugh... This was possibly the most tired the prench scientist had ever felt. Operating on maybe two and a half hours of sleep was hardly ideal for someone who liked to keep her mind as active as Bevel Gear. She was already drowsy and could barely bring herself to stand up. Perhaps spending those hours of the night making some small adjustments to the design of her helicopter saddle-pack system and, well...when you're a perfectionist you tend to really get involved in your projects to the point that times seems to move so much faster than you think it is.

She needed to finish the testing of her adjustments to the new gust boost system on the heli-pack, but with how she was feeling. How could she? She needed something to pick her up; something to bring her energy that would last the day. One thing came to mind; coffee. Really? Bevel hadn't had coffee since she left Prance. She'd felt how it made her back when she was her hyperactive filly self would only prove a burden to her benefactors so she swore off of it... but given the circumstances. The inventors yellow eyes drifted over to the coffee make caked in dust on her vessel. It was a curious device. A machine she'd made while drunk one night in Aquellia; When she first activated it it created a spot she could only call...a knocked out section of the Aether network, thankfully the aetheric energy that the machine tore from the air to make that strange blend. She remembered one of her assistants drank it and he had become a bundle of energy and cheer that he was bouncing off the walls... a strange sight to see a griffin do to say the least. 

The gauge on the machine read that it the aetheric energy inside was still low... hardly the levels that made her assistant as obnoxious and bouncy as she perceived him to be. With an important project like this though, beggars can't be choosers. Bevel sighed as she pushed the button on the device and there was a series of muffled Burbles from the device before it released the brew into a cup below the nuzzle. She hoisted up the beverage and finished it quickly.

... ...

... ... ...

Nothing.

Bevel paused a moment, her eyebrows furrowing at the cup, "Well that was an absolute waste  o-ooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhh!" The inventor's eye's grew wide as saucers and positively maniacal grin spread over her face. A second later the mare was gone, only leaving a cloud of dust in her likeness that dissipated shortly after. 

lfZVsh3.jpg

Soon after a mare in a cravat was sitting outside with some saddlebags at her side. Two mechanical limbs exited the  bag and soon four propeller blades spring from the sides of each "arm". The mare's pack began to glow and soon she was sent flying into the into the distance and straight towards a certain building... and towards its window. With a loud crash the inventor landed in Derpy's house. The landing was not the smoothest; To anyone who may have woken up from her loud entrance they'd see a blur of bright brown bouncing about the room before landing in the corner. Before she could be asked if she was okay, Bevel bolted up right with an overly cheery grin before she was right beside the grey mare in her bed, grinning before she hoisted derpy up and hugged her! "Did you see that, E'Tranger?! The booster system works!"

A party? Flux loved parties! The mare was excitedly bouncing around taking in the sights of the various rides and decorations, wondering what this was all for. There didn't seem to be anyone else here right now... 

Except for those two! The disguised changeling smiled widely before bouncing her way towards the two mares, humming happily as she went. She was wearing her typical disguise of a purple unicorn, her favorite one really, and the only one she had made so far that was entirely her creation. 

"Hiya! I'm Flux!" She greeted happily, looking between the Pegasus and the earth pony. "Who're you two? Don't remember meeting you before."

Pinkie Pie and Rainbow Dash weren’t the only ponies in Ponyville who were tossing exposition back and forth. No-sir-re-tacobob! Two Pegasus ponies with brightly wrapped gifts strapped to their saddlebags were also having a lovely conversation about today’s scheduled hootenanny.

oedrVXf.png?1

“So, we’ve purchased gifts and will be attending a birthday party for a pony we don’t really know. What’s with that?”, a little blue filly had been snoozing away when her big sister woke her up and told her that they would be attending a traditional Ponyville birthday bash. Wind Walker couldn’t help but notice her older sibling had been acting rather strangely after she had to deal with a few ‘grown up’ things. Some weird stuff had happened to her colt-friend, and something else even odder to those scary Reindeer barbarians from the north. Something happened to them that gave them a bit of a Cari-bou-bou. She had also been away from Equestria while serving at Princess Twilight's side while visiting the Zebra country.

oMHjodv.png?1

The older Pegasus pony growled back, "I'm pretty sure I explained everything before we left the house."

The filly simple shrugged her shoulders, "I told you to wait until I was finished with the cereal box maze. What would have happened if I wasn't able to lead Captain High fructose Corn Syrup back to his ship? How would the ponies in Sugar-Puff-Town live without their Super-Pony-Puffs? I'm guessing there would be pony sacrifice, dogs and cats living together, mass hysteria!" The filly was so into her little act that she nearly flew right into an sandwich shop's sign.  One that had already seen its share of Pegasus head-bonks.

"I'm guessing those ponies would have less diabetes and kids with longer attention-spans.", the mare added, "Now this is a bit different than a party for say one of my friends, or even your little pals. This is an Ponyville party! Everypony is invited! So the whole town shows up and they usually throw one heck of a celebration...Why, I saw that they actually set up some fun looking fair-rides and games over in the old park.  Not to mention treats from Sugarcube Corner...And I'm sure some of your friends will be showing up. So cheer up, we're almost there!"

"Sounds like they're already testing the fireworks.", the filly added as a rather loud sound could be heard from afar...

Frdnlm6.png

"You're a fine rockin' filly, ooh-ah-whoo-eee-ooh-aaaaah, and you know I'm gunna make you, mine-eee-aaah-eee-aaaah!" 

Surprisingly enough, he didn't get as many assorted stares, glares, and downright confused looks he normally did when he started belting a dirty love song in the middle of the day over the streets of Ponyville. 

The reason for that being, of course, the various carnival-styled rides, games, and pretty much anything else a little foal could want, set up throughout the town, and the spectacle was enough to arrest even his attention as he continued strolling down the street, wrapped present clutched possessively in his tail. It wasn't often that a birthday party invitation was extended to an entire town to join in the activities, and ferris wheel or no, he might have skipped over the personal celebration as a matter of principal. A bit awkward attending the birthday celebration of some pony you didn't even know, even if it was declared an open celebration.

...Whose, birthday party was it, even? He hadn't checked. 

Because despite the reservations and initial impulse to decline, all it had taken was the one small, innocuous statement of the party's planner and main host, and Inkbrand had been in. This was a Pinkie Pie Party, a P-cubed, and that was really all the tattoo-clad stallion needed to know in order to decide on his attendance...though, it would have been kind of difficult not to attend, what with a veritable carnival strewed around everyone - but the point remained. The pink mare was near infamous for the wild parties she put together, ranging from all sorts of spectacles and themes but the one common thread between all of them remained the strongest - no pony who attended a Pinkie Pie Party left unsatisfied. 

And that was all he really bucking needed.

For the few times he'd attended these magical get-togethers, though, Inkbrand had only recently met the mare herself face-to-face in that bakery near the middle of town, and that meeting had only been a cursory greet before he'd left. Still, it had been enough to engrain the energetic (and eerily knowledgable) pony into his brain, making the mare's vibrant pink coat and voluminous hair easily spotted in the distance. Somewhat to the grey Earth Pony's surprise however, was the other mare hovering near Pinkie Pie, a light blue Pegasus with a rainbow-colored mane that he recognized as Rainbow Dash. The other mare in the vicinity was a purple Unicorn who looked vaguely familiar, though her name refused to surface in his memory as he caught up with the group of mares just in time to catch the tail end of the Unicorn's question.

"Three beautiful mares and a handsome stallion? Who could possibly forget," Inkbrand drawled as sidled up alongside the pink mare, completely at ease shouldering into their conversation as he slung a foreleg around her shoulders. "Alright, P-squared?" the tattoo-clad stallion murmured to the Earth Pony, assuming she would remember him - especially considering she'd known who he was before he'd even introduced herself, because she apparently knew everyone in Ponyville, and that was some scary rot right there - though his gaze slid past the pink mare and onto the blue Pegasus. Last time he'd seen Rainbow Dash and been during the confusion and chaos of Applejack's return to foalhood, and that time had been...not so good. 

Which left the somewhat familiar looking Unicorn whose name he couldn't place with the face, prompting Inkbrand to give her a flirty wink as his eyes roved back onto her form. "But I'll forgive you this time, sweetheart," he leered, neck craning forward slightly. "Inkbrand, best bucking Tattoo Artist in Equestria, here to please." Despite the question having not been aimed at him, he hoped his own name would spark a reciprocating gesture in return, because he knew he'd seen her face somewhere.

Just needed to figure out where.

kafyBGS.jpg

2mcczdx.jpg

*Groaaaaaannn.....*

Such was the groggy response from Derpy Hooves as she slowly awakened to sounds of crashing coming from her own bedroom. But it was not fast enough to correctly identify the pony that suddenly hugged her. “Ugggh,” the mare’s eyes opened to a half-lidded state; “Doctor Whooves, is that you?” Derpy didn’t know anypony else that was prone to excitedly celebrate the successful completion of a new invention, just as anypony else would celebrate a birth-

Derpy’s wings spread out wide, finally remembering; “Wait... IT’S MY BIRTHDAY!!! And the first thing her now wide-awake eyes noticed was a strange gadget-equipped saddle right in the middle of her room. Gasping, the grey pegasus shoved aside anything clinging to her as she flew like a speeding bullet and landed next to the contraption; WHOOPEE!!! The first present of the day!”

Hearing sounds coming from behind, Derpy turned to face the unicorn that was inadvertently knocked off by her. The blonde mare... kinda recognized the other pony; Heyyyyyyy; aren’t you the inventor-hobo who hangs out by that crashed airship?” A moment of silence ensured, before Derpy turned to the mechanical saddle-pack thingy; “.....You think you can help me strap on my birthday present?”

lfZVsh3m.jpg

"Docteur Sabots?! Can'treallysayI'veeverheardof'im!" Curious! A doctor who went by the name hooves? Sounded almost suspicious. Did this pony have a first name? Was that an alias?! Are ponies really made out of biological matter or some kind of weird stretchable gum that changed based on a situation?! WHY WAS HER MANE FLUFFY?! All of these were valid questions, maybe not the most 'sane' of questions: Still technically questions.

Then came another question! How did Bevel get on her back?! Oh, that's right the blonde pegasus mentioned it was her birthday and than toook of like a shot. How Rude!... of Bevel not to realize the importance of this statement, soon enough she did though: so it worked out. But soon the frazzle headed unicorn was back up on her hooves and jumped high into air with a loud shout of, "SACRE BLEU!"The inventor's shout came with a curious reverberation as if someone had set up speakers outside the house before she zipped ove to the pegasus and grabbed her shoulders, "Happy birthday, E'tranger! Alsowhyareyoutalkingsoslowly?! Hang on a tic..." She narrowed her eyes at derpy, the bright yellow irises shrinking a bit before she was nose to nose with the Derp eyed mare's muzzle. 

"Oui! That's me!" She chirped with an excited hop in place before gasping in shock! No gift! She hadn't brought a gift?! oh by the shiny keratin beaks of her benefactors! How could she possibly have forgotten a gift. Quite easily actually since she never knew about the party. Not important now, she needed to offer something! The mare was going to reach into her coat pockets but realized she'd forgone her coat in her excitement earlier. The Wall eyed pegasus then started strapping on her helipack and asking if Bev could help. That worked out even better than expected! Sure the helipack was a nifty gift... might not get much out of that flight feature but the boost function worked amazingly!

"By the way I'm not a hobo! I'm just a teeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeny but out of place until I can get some help! I've been waiting for this letter of mine to reach them but I'm sure the mail service in zhis country won't let me down! Anywho! Enjoy your gift what have got planned for todaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa---" The Mare froze and turned derpy towards a calender with the the words party and a time written on it, the latter not really made out by bev. The gray pegasus was once again nose to nose with the inventor who looked positively panicked! "asmuchasI'dlovetoseeyoutryoutmyinvention, YOU'VE got a place to be! Didn't make the pack to be very fashion savvy!" the pepped up gadgeteer galloped gallantly towards a closet with a thump and began flinging items out in derpy's direction! 

"You need to look good feryourbigday, right?! How about this?!"

A boot was tossed passed the crosseyed pegasus.

"This?!" 

A duster coat!

"THIS?!" 

A rather interesting looking Boa (the accesory not the snake.).

"HOW ABOUT THESE?!" The last two items flung from the depth of her closet did manage to land on derpy rather neatly. A weathered and scruffy looking fedora and a tacky looking scarf with several colors that wrapped neatly aroudn her neck with only one end of it covering her eyes and once removed the inventor was back standing front of her coated with dust. 

"Okay! Maybe my invention slash your gift can get us where we're going faster!... Hang on where -are- we going?"

2mcczdx.jpg

It was sweet and all for the hobo out-of-place inventor to help Derpy Hooves pick out clothes for the birthday party, but the scatterbrained mare’s attention was elsewhere. Mainly, on strapping the new-fangled booster saddle onto her back. Without assistance from the unicorn, Derpy eventually succeeded... in putting the device on backwards. And the pegasus didn’t even realize that she was now wearing a hat and scarf; themselves prior birthday presents from somepony with rampant attire-procurement issues.

“I heard that Pinkie Pie is going to throw me a huuuuuuge party... I forget where exactly. No biggie though; I’ll know it when I see it!” Ever cheerful and not yet having grasped how late she had actually slept in, Derpy next wanted to know how to turn on her new birthday present. “Oh, can you show me how this invention of yours works?”

lfZVsh3m.jpg

The inventor wildly shook off the dust from her coat for it cover a few adjacent bits of furniture before she froze a few seconds and sneezed hard enough to flip herself over and onto her back, oddly enough she didn't get up; instead she rolled around in place and rolled towards derpy before reachign up and making some adjustments to the panel that was on the wrong side. "Sure can! All we've got to do iz turn zhis dial a few times until about here... higherspeedsthanthatmayormaynotcrushyourbones... And then as soon as We're ready! We press ... THIS! button." The inventor stood there proudly, her hoof pointing directly at the very button she said not to press; a big, shiny, red button. 

Huh, what was that tension on her hoof tip. The mare blinked as she realized she'd put a little too much 'oomph' into that pointing gesture and had pushed the button rather hard. already the saddleback was vibrating on Derpy's back. "Well then, TIMEFERATRIP! hope zhat you're pointing in the party's direction... oh hold on there's a wall there." The inventor picked up Derpy rather casually and repositioned her so now she (or at least her backend) was facing out an open window, "Perfect!" She said with another semi maniacal grin before she wrapped her hooves around one of the pegasus' own. 

"Oh! Right. Je suis, Bevel-"

With a loud bang the two were sent out of the open window! Bevel seemingly stuck around as if she hadn't fully realized what had happened in the world before two blinks. Once she realized thoguh she took a deep breath and shouted out the second part of her name as she was dragged along for the ride!

"GEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR!" The mocha colored mare held that word until she heard a strange sputtering noise. That sure sounded familiar. Where, oh where did she hear that before? The mare's mind flashed through some times until she settled on the memory of her building the helicopter pack after repeated mishaps with the jetpack. "always check the fuel..." Sacre bleu! They were already low on fuel! Oh well, this stuff usually works it self out, besides there's a pegasus here. They could always just dump the pack and and she could fly to safety... oh wait, now that would mean bevel possibly falling to her doom wouldn't it? A bit less than ideal.

"Excusez moi!" She said, climbing carefully up the mare and try to make one tiny last minute correction to her device/gift. Once couldn't help but notice the spectacle of one mare draped on top of a pegasus currently falling to the earth. The wind was slowly picking up around them, "Wow...our trajectory was WAAAAY off... and even WAYER higher than that... if nothing happens we're probably gonna hit terminal velocity in.... about... oh, now actually!" The mare continued to tinker and toy with the device, probably shouldn't have tossed the cog away in the bedroom. She hummed a very french sounding tune as she worked, "If I'm right and nothing slows us down... We'll be stains on the ground in about-- oh! Mon dieu! What was I thinking?!" She scoffed. The mare scrambled down until she was once again face to face with the grey coated pegasus. "Spread you wings out!" The mare looked at Derpy for possibly a millisecond but then said, "YOU'RE TAKING TOO LONG!" She lit up her horn and Derpy was engulfed in a tickling spell; the inventor hoping to elicit the reaction she was hoping for!

Royal Flight by kitsune85

"Gah! I can't believe I'm late!" Twilight said as she put the last minute details to the gift. The Princess lately had a bout with things distracting her, whether it was trying to do several things at once or her brain simply not working correctly when she needed all the mental power she could muster! Such was the case today where she began a research on magical leylines in moving bodies of water when she looked at the calendar to see it was Derpy's birthday! How could she forget one of Ponyville's most prominent citizens? She even made it a priority to attend more events like birthdays and weddings, not because she was a Princess but because she wanted to expand her friendship to others in town. 

"Ok, gift? Check. Card filled out and in envelope? Check. Now to get going." 

Twilight took flight from her castle, only to see that Derpy was on the other side of town! Well, it wasn't really meant to be a surprise party, at least she didn't think so. But it seemed that Derpy was more interested in a familiar inventor pony than her own special day. And was Bevel trying to tickle Derpy?

"Uh... hi there? I hope I'm not interrupting anything important." 

Rainbow looked around. "Doesn't seem like anypony has showed up yet...wonder where they all are..."

"Oh, I'm sure they'll be along any minute now! Then we can get to all the fun I've got planned!"

When the purple unicorn trotted up both ponies smiled.

"Hiya Flux! The name’s Rainbow Dash, and this is Pinkie Pie..." Rainbow stopped mid-sentence as Inkbrand came onto the scene. She would be her normal jovial self in most situations but it appeared that when Inkbrand was around situations were not just inherently "normal". She eyed the stallion for a moment, her thoughts reverting to the fillized AJ and the whole conundrum around the incident.  

It was Pinkie that spoke first to the tattoo clad stallion. "Inky! Hey! Wow wow wow! So good to see you!" She put her forehoof over the stallions shoulder as a return gesture. "Looks like nopony can resist a Pinkie Party huh?" She gave a broad smile.

"Yo Inkbrand. What's happenin?" Rainbow tried her level best to play it cool. Seeing this guy brought around lots of thoughts and emotions she would rather keep at bay.

"Sooooooo, Flux, Inky? Who's up for helping me finish off getting the bounce house ready?" Pinkie nodded towards an enormous farm themed bounce house that was slowly filling with air not far away.

"Maybe I should go see if I can find the Derpster. She should be here by now..." Rainbow flapped her wings, preparing the go look for the grey pegasus.

Flux smiled wider as the two introduced themselves. So this was the Pinkie she kept hearing about? Yay!

"Oh I remember you, Inky! I'm Flux!" She chirped, giggling a bit at his words. When Pinkie spoke about helping with the bounce house, Flux began bouncing in place. 

"A bounce house? Yay! I'll help!" She said, bouncing around in a small circle as she waited for Pinkie so they could go over together. 

Frdnlm6.png

Alright, so this was going to be weird.

Not that he could really blame the blue Pegasus, but...still. Buck.

Inkbrand didn't have much time to commiserate over the fact, however, because a hoof-ful of excitable pink mare made itself known in the general vicinity of directly in his face, a situation that the grey stallion was quick to take advantage of as his own forelegs settled on Pinkie Pie's waist, both to balance the mare and to return her exuberant hug-thing of his own. "You know it, babe," the tattoo-clad stallion chuckled, some of the tension over an uncertain welcome leaving his body. Pinkie Pie seemed to have that effect on ponies - even if she used that hated nickname. "Everyone knows that a Pinkie Pie party is the place to be, whenever, wherever." 

Somewhat to his surprise, Rainbow Dash offered a greeting of her own, though it was much more subdued than the pink mare's - well, pretty much everything anyone did was more subdued than the same action by Pinkie Pie. Still, the point remained, and it was enough to prompt Inkbrand to return the greeting with a nonchalant "'Sup, Dash," accompanied by a quick run through his mane by one hoof. At least the Pegasus was acting real chill about that - he could definitely use more chill mares in his bucking life - but the grey stallion couldn't help but feel that the sight of him was giving rise to some less than flattering thoughts in the blue mare's mind, whether they were directly in reference to himself or not.

Or maybe the complete opposite, and Rainbow Dash was busy fantasizing about his smoking hot bod. As much a chance as anything, right?

Right.

Luckily for the tattoo-clad stallion, Pinkie Pie chose that moment to propose some bounce house inflating, which was as good a reason as any for Inkbrand to nod along with the purple Unicorn - aaaah, Flux, that was right, he'd met her at one of Vinyl's raves, and again with the nickname, buck - as Rainbow Dash seemed intent on finding the birthday filly. "Right, Vinyl's rave - how's it hanging, sweetheart?" Inkbrand questioned with a grin, though he wasn't really expecting an answer as he moved along with Flux and Pinkie Pie. He paused for a brief moment, settling his nondescript birthday present on top of a nearby table, before returning to the two, golden eyes amusedly tracking the Unicorn's progress as she bounced around in circles as if she were already inside a bounce house.

...Which wasn't to say he wouldn't be doing the same thing, only inside an actual bounce house. When was the last time he'd even been in one of those?...

Oh, right, last month. Bucking foals and their inextinguishable reservoirs of perpetual energy.

kafyBGS.jpg

As the two ponies got closer to the fairgrounds, they noticed a rather familiar stallion from the distance. This disturbed Fire Walker.

oedrVXf.png?1

"Hey!", the filly glanced back at her sister, "Looks like Inkbrand is here.", a sly smile fell on the girl's face as she spoke, "You still never told me what really happened when you guys were turned into kids..How did you manage to get zapped back into an adult again? And is it true Razor never turned back?"

oMHjodv.png?1

The red mare couldn't help but quiver, "Ugh. Windy...I said this is something I'd prefer never to speak of again." It was all cute and fun at first. The mare was able to experience a short childhood that did not involve hospital gowns or long stays in bed. Things did turn a turn for the worse as they tried to figure out what caused their sudden age regression and how to reverse the problem. And then there was the thing with Applejack's parents. Ouch.

"But I'll answer one thing. Razor turned back into an adult just like the rest of us, and he's been dealing with some unpleasant family business. Hopefully we'll see him soon, along with Glimmer. And PLEASE.", she stressed this. "If Mister Inkbrand approaches you, please do not kick him in the er, place you said you were going to kick him. What happened between him and Zelda  was a personal, private thing. And I'm guessing if you beat up one of her party guests, Miss Pie probably won't invite you to any of her parties ever again. Capisci?"

"Yeah yeah. Whatever sis..", Wind Walker groaned back before her mood shifted back up, "Oh look! There's Pinkie and Rainbow Dash! Erm. Don't see any other kids yet." While the filly was able to tolerate the average adult pony, she preferred to hang around with her fellow filly or colt. She always dreaded the typical adult party her parents would have from time to time. Lots of looking up. Lots of nodding. And the food is never any good. "Well, at least there's some really cool fair type rides."

While it was hardly Whinnyland quality rides, there were some fun little fairground type attractions to be found. Once they dropped off their gifts along with the other presents, the two ponies made their way to the small gathering. The little filly grinned ear to ear. "Heya Pinkie! Dash!" Knowing the pink mare was the best hugger in all of Equestria, the filly gave the pony a quick hug of her own.

"Ooh! I'll also help with the bounce house!", Wind Walker squeaked as she bounced about.

The red mare made her way towards Rainbow Dash. "If you don't mind, I'll come with you.", she flashed her R.E.A card, "I heard a rather loud noise not that far from here.", she waved a hoof towards the direction of Derpy's house, "And I was curious what happened. And since that's the same place you seem to be going, I thought I'd just tag along out of sheer curiosity if you don't mind." Once the blue mare was ready, the officer tried her very best to keep up with the fast Pegasus pony..

lfZVsh3l.jpg

Spoiler

The following has been approved by Bellosh101. I made the mistake of not making it clear that the two mares are plummeting down to the party which is directly below them.

Thankfully the tickling spree worked and the two ponies' descent was now slowed to a crawl. It took one or to two tries to get the pegasus to keep her wings spread but it worked. The inventor squealed with delight as she hugged onto derpy from below. "See! That wasn't so bad now was it? Oh look at that!" Bevel pointed downwards, her hoof gesturing towards something that looked more like a fair than a simple Birthday party! although above it was a banner that read 'Happy Birthday, Derpy Hooves!" The inventor blinked and grinned up at the mare, "Seems we made it!" 

As the two were drifting closer and closer to the party grounds, Bevel saw a familiar face. "Bounjour, Princesse! Good to see you again!!" The mare promptly let go of derpy and lianded flat on her back on the ground. The fluffy maned mare left a rather perfect imprint of her grinning face on the dirt below and coughed a few times as she pulled herself up. "Also, Non! Just a flight mishap!" The inventor coughed a few times and looked around at this immensely festive area, apparently some ponies were already here! There was this one roguish looking one with marks over his body, two pegasi who provided a neat contrast with their colors of red and blue. Some pink pony she'd heard some stuff about... oh! and that rainbow pony whose name she couldn't remember! 

"Looks like someone's gonna have a great day~" She said in a singsongy tone before realizing something! Her eyes grew wide as saucers and she let out a possibly exxagerated gasp as she realized, "OH NON! I didn't bring a birthday card!" 

2mcczdx.jpg

“WHOO-HOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!” That, and similar expressions just like it came pouring from Derpy’s mouth as she (with the inventor in tow) blasted through the air at in incredible speed. For once in her life, the google-eyed pegasus understood what it felt like to be like her friend Rainbow Dash, being able to fly as fast as you wanted with the greatest of ease. Maybe now, Derpy Hooves could try out to be a Wonderbolt! Do they allow pegasi who wear saddle-boosters? Derpy should check into it!

With a mild bit of tickling, Derpy slowed their descent by spreading out her wings. By sheer coincidence, she could see her own birthday party laid out before her as she glided down towards Earth, and wow, it looks so much like a real carnival! Pinkie Pie really outdid herself this time!!!

The Derpster was able to decelerate enough for her comrade to bail out (relatively safely). The pegasus herself though was still victim to the laws of physics; something she didn’t fully appreciate as she was distracted by marveling at the carnival rides. As dictated by Derpy’s Law, she eventually did end her flight... but only by getting herself wedged into a thicket of tree branches that she didn’t see coming!

“Guuuuuuys,” Derpy coughed up a couple of leaves; “Little help here?”

mlp_fim_facebook_banners_by_fluttergasm-5HbB79Q.png

"Ah'm sure she'll like it, Sugarcube."

Applejack could be so sweet sometimes but Fluttershy wasn't sure if she did the right thing. Did Derpy like them? Was it too much salt? There was only one way to find out but the lack of a more direct option only frightened the pegasus. She wished she could just mail it and have Derpy write back how she felt, but that wasn't how a gift worked. Well, this wouldn't be the first time she had to do this and it was about time for her to stop being so worried. She wasn't there alone and Derpy was a pretty nice pony. She needed to stop being so worried and just be happy to be there with friends. If only that one part of her psyche would allow it!

"I know, I know. I just hope everypony is having fun and that we won't be disturbing them..."

Fluttershy could be a bit of a worrywart. Okay not a bit, a lot. Tremendously so. She could worry more than a zebra at a watering hole seein' the eyes of a gator underneath tha waterline. Applejack could only do so much to ensure she had a good time, and this would be one of those days she would have fun in spite of herself. As for Applejack, any party was a good party when it allowed her to relax and rewind from such a hard day. The harvest was moving at light speed. She was having to do the work of three ponies just to keep up. She wouldn't be here for long, but some party was better than none.

*knock knock knock*

"This'll be a great party, and I'm sure Derpy'll like both of our presents."

"Oh, I hope so. Do you think there'll be any games?"

"Ah'm sure. And yer gonna watch Val- err, Gilded Lilly when she comes over later?"

"I will, Applejack. You have my word."

• 3 weeks later...

Rainbow Dash gave a small smirk in the direction of Inkbrand as the stallion ran a hoof through his forelocks. There was more she wanted to say to him but she would save it. This was supposed to be a party... and besides, things with Applejack had worked out ok in the end. In fact, RD heard AJ would be coming to the party soon enough.

Then a flaming red mare appeared with a blue filly. It didn't take long before the mare had offered her services of coming along to hunt down Derpy. Dash smiled, a little at a loss for words for a couple moments. She certainly was...striking. Dash smiled and extended a hoof in greeting.

"Would love to have you come along! The name's Rainbow Dash...I don't think we've met." 

Before she could get further, the birthday mare and Bevel came hurtling down from above!

"Guess we won't need to go looking for the Derpster... but it looks like she might need some help out of that tree." 

Pinkie Pie received the hug from Wind Walker and hugged her back fiercely.  "Hi Wind Walker! Great to see you! We would love to have your help with the bounce house!"

"The birthday pony is heeeeeerrreee!!!!" Pinkie looked to Dash. "We should help her out of the tree right Dashie?"

She nodded towards the bounce house a moment later and spoke to Wind Walker and Flux. "See, the thing is its half way full of air but the pump isn't working anymore...we need to find a way to get this house nice and bouncy!" 

It was soon after this that Applejack and Fluttershy arrived. "Hey AJ! Fluttershy! Glad you guys could make it!"

Flux bounced along with the two, smiling as Inkbrand spoke, citing Vinyl's rave before asking her a question. 

"Yeppers! That was a great night!" She chirped, bouncing backwards as she faced Inkbrand. "I'm doing fantastically amazing! Thanks for asking, Inky! How are you?" She giggled a bit after that, smiling at him. 

When the two fell out of the sky, her legs locked up in surprise, and she ended up doing a backwards summersault and finishing in a sitting position. The disguised changeling blinked a bit in confusion, eventually looking to the tree with the gray pegasus in it. She stared until Pinkie spoke again, breaking her out of her daze. 

"The pump broke? Aww..." She said, looking at Inkbrand and the filly that wanted to help too. "Oh, I know! What if we get one of those blowey things from the blacksmiths, a big one, and then use that?" She smiled widely at the two before remembering the filly and turning to her. 

"Hiya! I'm Flux! Who're you?" Flux asked, tilting her head to the side quizzically. 

• 3 weeks later...

Frdnlm6.png

Alright, so.

That was...one way of arriving at a party. Enough of a way to completely interrupt whatever he'd been planning to say to Flux, through sheer surprise factor alone.

Though he had to admit, it was one hay of an entrance to her own birthday party. Girl had style.

Even if said style ended with a rather spectacular wipeout in a nearby tree, causing Inkbrand to let out a loud bark of laughter as the bubble mare spat out a few leaves that had probably gotten wedged in uncomfortable places. The rather demented looking mare that had dropped out of the sky with her was yelling about something or other, and the other ponies all seemed rather preoccupied with new ponies showing up and discussing the Big Problem of the inflatable bouncy house that he would definitely not be playing in at some point today.

By which he meant, he would definitely be playing in at some point today.

Either way, Inkbrand was vaguely surprised that no one rushed forward to help out the ditzy mare, considering this was Ponyville, a town that positively bred niceness and companionship into its residents. He'd half expected the entire fleet of present ponies to rush forward and save the damsel in distress. As it turned out, no one did, leaving the roguishly handsome stallion to wave a vague hoof through the air in response to Flux's solution, in favor of taking care of a different problem. 

...He could work with that.

"Gotta say, Derps," the tattoo-clad stallion drawled as he swaggered near the tree, intent on taking his sweet time in helping the mare down, "you know how to make one hay of an entrance." The unfortunate position of the Pegasus' landing gave Inkbrand ample view of her shapely legs, a fact that the Earth Pony fully capitalized on before he move around to the other side, a rot-eating grin fixed firmly on his face. "I'll be expecting a reward for this, too," he leered, scaling one of the lower, sturdier branches to get him closer to Derpy Hooves. "A kiss from the birthday filly sounds just about right, eh?" 

Or it would be, if he could figure out how to get said birthday filly down from this bucking tree!

Finesse had never been in strong suit after all, and after a couple attempts of futile tugging of branches that only resulted in him getting a face full of leaves, he'd had enough. "Here, grab on," Inkbrand ordered, just high enough in the tree to be able to nab one of the Pegasus' hooves in his own, and braced his hindlegs against the the trunk, prepared to essentially fall backwards and let gravity take care of the rest. "Got it?" he called out, glancing below him again. 

Barely a three foot distance between in and the ground. A Pegasus would be more than fine in the air.

"One," Inkbrand grunted, gripping onto the hoof more firmly as he shifted his legs against the trunk, "two - three!"  

kafyBGS.jpg

oMHjodv.png?1

The red mare gave a proper military hoof-shake. The same one perfected by Admiral Fairy Flight who was all about style and panache! "First Lieutenant Fire Walker, at your service!". Thankfully the younger pony was busy with Pinkie Pie, as the little filly tended to roll her eyes up when her sister referred to herself by title. "I wonder what that loud...er....oh.", while she was still curious what the previous noise was. Fireworks? Monster attack? Was her brother Punk up to something? Another, equally loud noise quickly rocked her out of her train of thought.

"Yes, it seems that way...Oh..", While Fire Walker had seen the birthday girl before, it was one pony she knew very well. "Miss Bevel!" She had just finished a little adventure with the clever inventor pony, and now she was here? "Please excuse me Miss Dash." The fiery mare quickly made her way towards the unicorn. Unlike Pegasus ponies, unicorns were not built for a fall. "Are you alright?"

The officer quickly gave the mare a quick checkup, "Nothing broken...No injuries." Thankfully her friend would not need to visit the Ponyville Hospital. But she still had a problem. No birthday card. "I'm pretty sure I saw a table over there with some thick construction paper and some markers. Maybe you could make a card.", she whispered back while she glanced over up at the cross-eyed birthday mare. "Sure she wouldn't mind.."

oedrVXf.png?1

"Awww.", the little filly groaned, "Can't bounce in a bounce house with only an ounce of air! If we'd pounce on that bounce house we'd trounce our bones!", she had to announce. The sugar-enhanced filly quickly scouted for other solutions. They could probably bounce on Inkbrand's big head. She couldn't help but chuckle as she pictured this happening. "Oh hey Miss Flux, I'm Wind Walker. "

They needed to fix Pinkie's pump! If only there was some pony who could use magic..oh..

The purple pony could do it! She was a unicorn! And while she was probably not as cool as Lore Weaver, this would at least earn her a spot as the 'Second Best Purple Dude' or 'Dudette'. Is that even a word?

"Miss Flux! Could you fix it with your magic? My friend Sweet Cents is a unicorn and she has a big clumsy dog who is always knocking over stuff, so she learned a 'mending spell'. Do you know it?"

Before she could properly greet the birthday mare, Derpy sailed off towards where the party would be held... and ended up right in a tree. Twilight never knew of a Pegasus who was so uncoordinated in flying, but then again Twilight was no Wonderbolt when it came to her skills in the air! 

"Derpy, it's Twilight. Hang on, I'll help you get out of that tree." 

She could see a certain familiar stallion, Inkbrand rush to the grey Pegasus's aid. Twilight remembered him from a certain incident on Hearth's Warming Eve involving Applejack. As he positioned himself to use the tree as leverage, Twilight summoned her magic to "lasso" the hapless Pegasus's legs. 

"One, two - three!" 

At the count of three, Twilight pulled with her magic, hoping the combined effort of her and Inkbrand would free Derpy. 

rTpVxAo.jpg

Well, things with Miss hooves were going okay so far, thanks to the efforts of a handsome stallion with a mane of many blue shades and that of the princess of friendship: looked like this pony was free to let this new aquaintance enjoy the booster pack... after all, Bevel could always build another one once she got back home. This was a nice distraction from the daily drudgery but now that she was here, the inventor was going to need to socialize.

Well, she was going to until she noticed something not too far off. That bouncy castle: it looked so floppy, and limp. It was probably the only thing in this whole set up that stuck out so much! Well, at least to Bevel. With another speedy zip over to Derpy while she was being extricated from the tree. 

"Mademoiselle Hooves. In order to atone for my lack of a birthday card I will keep an eye on any of the rides here that may need a bit of upkeep!  Bon anniversaire!" With that she took off in a mad dash with an equally mad sounding giggle. The blur of brown tones rushing past Rainbow, Pinkie, Wind, and fire until she stopped on a dime in front of a big metal box behind the bounce house. Enthustiastic humming came from the mare as she used some magic to unscrew the panel from the machinery and let out a gasp of shock. 

"MON DIEU! Que a mis cette mounstruosite ensemble?!" She shouted, loud enough for her voice to echo over the park for a moment before she practically dove into the box with only her tail and rear end visible while the sounds of what to the unsavvy ear would sound like technobabble, after around a solid minute of what sounded more like some dark spell being cast rather than any actual engineering terms: A few parts were flung from the device, a sprocket, a gear, a cog... duct tape... bubblegum?! Such shoddy craftmareship. A large puff of black smoke blew out of the window, leaving the mocha colored unicorn's upper body a charcoal black once she pulled herself out. 

"Hmm... Let's see... just one more thing should do it. What was it?" The pony pursed her lips and stamped one of her forelegs on the ground in rapid succession, leaving a perfectly circular indentation in the grass before she brightened up.

"Right!"

The unicorn spun around, lifted her hindlegs up and delivered a tough kick to the machine's side and after a few seconds of curious noises: The bouncy house began to inflate up to the desired shape and bounciness. 

Spoiler

Translation: My Goodness! Who put this monstrosity together?!

2mcczdx.jpg

With the inventor pony having gone her way, another quasi-familiar stallion took the initiative to begin the attempt to rescue Derpy Hooves from her leafy entrapment. The birthday mare loosely remembered that tattooed earth pony from an incident quite a while back, when many of the townsponies turned weird after smelling some perfume, or something. It was hard to remember all the details; weird things happened in Ponyville at least twice a month. And unfortunately, one detail Derpy forgot was what the stallion's name was supposed to be. Oh well; nopony's perfect.

Given the messy situation she was in, Derpy didn't pay the stallions demand for a kiss much serious attention. "Sure, sure," she absentmindedly spoke in reply while trying, without success, to shake herself out of the inventor's saddle-gadget thingy as she spoke; "Just get me out of here, will ya?" By now, Twilight was on the scene to assist in the rescue. With the combined might of her magic and the earth pony's strength, the two managed to tug Derpy free the tree. Now came the easy part; letting gravity handle the rest.

"WOAAAAHHHHH!"

The birthday mare failed to register that she could have used her wings to slow her descent. There was good news however; the tattooed stallion was right beneath Miss Hooves, and by accident, became a rather comfortable cushion for her to land on as she fell out of the tree. The mare's bottom hurt a little bit from impact though; rubbing her flank, Derpy wasn't in a state to immediately get off of her equine pillow.....

Archived